Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2015, 23:27   #6361
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Planning to do a Bengaluru Udupi via Mysuru. I cannot skip Mysuru as I am picking up my nephew. It will be a leisure drive. Can gurus here direct me through a route which can be an enjoyable drive to all. Don't mind even if it is slightly longer. My ride will be a Baleno.
I think your best option will be the madikeri-somwarpet-sullia-mangalore route. This is quite scenic and passes through estates on the somwarpet stretch.
Other options are via hassan (either via holenarasipura or srirarangapatna-shravanabelagola). This will get you to NH 48 and then the regular Shiradi route to Mangalore, nothing very great about this route in terms of scenic drive, etc.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 23:34   #6362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Planning to do a Bengaluru Udupi via Mysuru. I cannot skip Mysuru as I am picking up my nephew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think your best option will be the madikeri-somwarpet-sullia-mangalore route. This is quite scenic and passes through estates on the somwarpet stretch.
No Somwarpet.

Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri-Sullia-Jalsoor-Puttur-Bantwal-Mangalore
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 01:44   #6363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Other options are via hassan (either via holenarasipura or srirarangapatna-shravanabelagola). This will get you to NH 48 and then the regular Shiradi route to Mangalore, nothing very great about this route in terms of scenic drive, etc.
Somwarpet route is a no-no. Too many curves, road is narrow and quite bumpy too. Also it would be significantly longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
No Somwarpet.

I don't know the road conditions between Mysore & Madikeri, since I always goto Madikeri via Somwarpet.

But Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur-Bantwal-Mangalore is an excellent 2 lane highway (NH275 if I'm not wrong). Not much of traffic, but easily doable in about 2h (slight heavy foot). Nice winding roads, wide enough for two buses to pass easily and the tarmac is smooth through-out. This is my report from June 2015.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 02:38   #6364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
But Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur-Bantwal-Mangalore is an excellent 2 lane highway (NH275 if I'm not wrong). Not much of traffic, but easily doable in about 2h (slight heavy foot). Nice winding roads, wide enough for two buses to pass easily and the tarmac is smooth through-out. This is my report from June 2015.
I think Somwarpet does not figure in the route from Mysore to Madikeri.

Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Kushalnagar-Suntikoppa-Madikeri.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 08:34   #6365
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No Somwarpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Somwarpet route is a no-no. Too many curves, road is narrow and quite bumpy too. Also it would be significantly longer.
Quote:
I think Somwarpet does not figure in the route from Mysore to Madikeri.

Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Kushalnagar-Suntikoppa-Madikeri.
Yes, thanks guys! That was a miss! I just wanted to add that taking Somwarpet will be a longer option but is scenic and can be taken via Mysore-Srirangapatna-Holenarasipura-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri as @unk9ja is not in a hurry to reach Mangalore and wanted a relaxed, scenic route.

Last edited by NPV : 16th October 2015 at 08:36.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 19:55   #6366
CJP
BHPian

Hello folks,

we are planning to travel Bangalore to Mangalore tomorrow, taking the Google default route - Bangalore>Kunigal>Hassan>Sakleshpur>Shiradi>Uppina angadi>Bantwal>Mangalore. We are staying at the Gateway on Old Port Road.

Fellow travelers - we are in a grey Innova with Got BHP Stickers on the rear windscreen - give us a wave.

Couple of quick questions:-
- what is a good place for breakfast about 150km from Bangalore/Hassan turn off?
- any updates on the route? Read on this thread that the road is good now, this is our first time on this route to Mangalore, any feedback or advise is helpful

thanks a lot
CJ
Old 17th October 2015, 23:25   #6367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Couple of quick questions:-
- what is a good place for breakfast about 150km from Bangalore/Hassan turn off?
- Swathi Delicacy around 8km after Kunigal bypass
- Mayura and CCD after Neliegere toll
- Kamat after CR Patna
- A2B at Udayapura

Last edited by ampere : 18th October 2015 at 01:34. Reason: Fixed Typo
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 00:27   #6368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- Swathi Delicacy around 8km after Kunigal bypass
- Mayur and CCD after Neliegere toll
- Kamat after CR Patna
- A2B at Udayapura
Thats Mayura after CCD and at Bellur cross. However there is a "Mayur" (Formerly Mayura) which was before Adigas and Swati when driving from Hassan which eventually had to remove the "A" due to some issues with Mayura at Bellur cross.

Kamat and A2B are both at the same location and before Udyapura ( after CR Patna Bypass).

If you throw a stone from A2B diagonally, it will fall on that roof of Kamat or CCD attached to the IOCL on the other side.

So now, Udyapura (or the place just before Udayapura when driving from Bangalore) houses 4 POIs for an ideal break.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-screenshot_20151018003207.png

2 On left - Aadyas & A2B next to each other.
2 on Right - CCD and Kamat in the same complex and diagonally opposite to Aadyas & A2B.

In the pic you dont see A2B marked as yet as its too new a place while the CCD is part of "Petrol Bunk".

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th October 2015 at 00:35.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 01:36   #6369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Thats Mayura after CCD and at Bellur cross. However there is a "Mayur" (Formerly Mayura) which was before Adigas and Swati when driving from Hassan which eventually had to remove the "A" due to some issues with Mayura at Bellur cross.
Sorry I did mean Mayura (the original one). It was a typo on my part. I corrected it.
Old 19th October 2015, 20:09   #6370
BHPian

Folks, can you please suggest a decent vegetarian restaurant in Hassan for lunch with family? We will be traveling to Kukke on the 24th and will be returning the 25th. I will also need to refuel (petrol) at Hassan. Any suggestions of a bunk with pure fuel will be greatly appreciated.

As I find info in this great thread, I am building an Excel spreadsheet with GPS coordinates from Google Maps, which I am then verifying with my MapMyIndia device when I am actually at the location; Google is a bit off sometimes. Once I have a decent set of verified coordinates, I will be glad to post them here.

Thanks for all the fantastic help and support!
Old 19th October 2015, 23:29   #6371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Folks, can you please suggest a decent vegetarian restaurant in Hassan for lunch with family? We will be traveling to Kukke on the 24th and will be returning the 25th. I will also need to refuel (petrol) at Hassan. Any suggestions of a bunk with pure fuel will be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest two of them:

- Suvarna Regency
- Ashok.

The IOC bunk (here) is a good one to fill.
Old 19th October 2015, 23:46   #6372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Please add to the list, Hotel Mayura International on the Hassan bypass. Pure veg, tasty food and quick service.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 19th October 2015 at 23:47.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 00:31   #6373
Team-BHP Support

For those who are not familiar with the history of Karnataka, Mayura Sharma was the first Kannada King, and also the founder of Kadamba Dynasty. That is why so many restaurants along Bangalore-Hassan area are named Mayura.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 08:48   #6374
BHPian

Get ready for second round of Shiradi ghat closure.
Report says it will closed for four months from December for carrying out second phase of work.
News Link
Old 20th October 2015, 10:13   #6375
BHPian

Quote:
The IOC bunk (here) is a good one to fill.
Thanks a ton.

Couldn't locate a bunk with your link. Did you mean this bunk inside the city or this one just before Shanti Grama going towards Hassan?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks