Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 11:10   #826
BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Thank you for your suggestions.

We have one day in reserve, so i think i have to use that at padam or use that for Tso Morriri. But i will keep your suggestions in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Wagon R would find it difficult to do Zanskar, especially in June. Take the Safari. Would also request you to keep 1 full day at Padum. The effort required to reach there and the beating you car takes, makes it worthwhile to add a rest day at Padum. Plus there are some very scenic monastries around.

Sonmarg to Rangdum will require a steady pace of driving.

Padum to kargil can be done in a day but you will have to maintain again a very steady pace and forget whats happening to the suspension below .

Start very early from Sarchu for Manali. Keep couple of hrs for Rohatang. It always throws tantrums.
Old 4th April 2013, 11:24   #827
Senior - BHPian

Just read on Devilonwheels that for 2013 there will be timings on Rohtang pass, to ensure that the pass is not a two way. This is good but our trips will need to be timed.
  • Vehicles will only be allowed to go from Manali to Rohtang Pass from 6 AM to 12 Noon. After 12 Noon, tourists or any taxis or vehicle will not be allowed to go towards Rohtang Pass.
  • Vehicles will only be allowed to come back from Rohtang Pass to Manali after 12 Noon to 10 PM only.
  • Vehicles WILL NOT be allowed from 10 PM to 6 AM in the morning, means no early start for Manali – Leh Highway journey possible from now on .
Old 4th April 2013, 12:12   #828
BHPian

I will be travelling from Leh to Manali and also I think I will be passing the Rohtang pass in the evening ( late), so it suits me.

Also for Private vehicles you need to take the permit to travel to Rohtang from Manali, courtesy local taxi folks.
Old 7th April 2013, 19:30   #829

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Dear all,

Planning a long awaited trip to Ladakh in mid-August. Tentative plan is as follows:

Day 01: Leave Delhi by 2pm > Pathankot
Day 02: Pathankot > Mansar Lake > Dhar Road > Udhampur > Srinagar > Sonamarg
Day 03: Sonamarg > Kargil (or slightly further if there are any stay options)
Day 04: Kargil > Batalik > Dha > Khaltse > Lamayuru > Alchi > Leh
Day 05: Leh > Khardung La > Panamik > Diskit > Leh (is this doable in one day)
Day 06: Leh local
Day 07: Leh > Pangong Tso > Leh
Day 08: Leh > Hemis Gompa > Mahe > Sumdo > Tso Moriri
Day 09: Tso Moriri > Debring > Pang > Sarchu
Day 10: Sarchu > Jispa
Day 11: Jispa > Tandi > Rohtang > Manali
Day 12: Manali > Delhi
Day 13: Buffer

Need advise if this is a feasible itinerary. Especially Day 5.

Also want to know if there is any feedback on being in Leh on 15th August.

We will take a 4by4 SUV with several experienced drivers who can rotate.

Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 22:04   #830

My son did this trip in june 2012 on Enfield 350CC clasic. The route he took was Chandigarh-shimla-Kinnaur-Spiti-Lahul-manali-Khardung La-siachen Base Camp-Partapur-Thoise-Turtok-Leh-Batalik-Kargil-Spadam(zanskar)-Kargil-Zozila-Srinagar-Gulmarg-Srinagar-Udhampur-Dalhouise-Dharamsala-Chandigarh. It was approx 41 days and 4500km. They were two friends on one bike and his friend had to return from kargil, thereafter zanskar onward my son was alone. Myself being an serving Army Officer i encouraged him to take up this venture. My self being a mountaineer, i over prepared him. Therefore travel light. My cell no is 9636914644 i will be too happy to contribute in planning and advise, if some one needs it.
shami62 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 09:39   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaumish View Post
Planning a long awaited trip to Ladakh in mid-August. Tentative plan is as follows...
Your plan seems fine and there is no issue being in Leh on Aug 15th. Just ensure you get an early start on day 5. Diskit just has a monastery, you can go a bit ahead to Hunder and check out the sand dunes and ride bactrian camels if you fancy that!

And I think for the Kargil-Batalik-Dha sector you need a permit from the Kargil DC office, though I'm not 100% sure about this. Also, ensure you carry enough fuel as there are no petrol pumps on the Tso Moriri-Sarchu stretch. After Karu the next petrol pump is at Tandi.

Cheers
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 09:56   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all,

Planning a long awaited trip to Ladakh in mid-August. Tentative plan is as follows:

Day 01: Leave Delhi by 2pm > Pathankot
Day 02: Pathankot > Mansar Lake > Dhar Road > Udhampur > Srinagar > Sonamarg
Day 03: Sonamarg > Kargil (or slightly further if there are any stay options)
Day 04: Kargil > Batalik > Dha > Khaltse > Lamayuru > Alchi > Leh
Day 07: Leh > Pangong Tso > Leh
Day 08: Leh > Hemis Gompa > Mahe > Sumdo > Tso Moriri
Day 09: Tso Moriri > Debring > Pang > Sarchu
Day 10: Sarchu > Jispa
Day 11: Jispa > Tandi > Rohtang > Manali
Day 12: Manali > Delhi
Day 13: Buffer

Need advise if this is a feasible itinerary. Especially Day 5.

Also want to know if there is any feedback on being in Leh on 15th August.

We will take a 4by4 SUV with several experienced drivers who can rotate.

Thanks
Day 3 Start early from Sonmarg and you can easily reach Leh, enroute spending some time at Lamayuru. I think Dha requires permit. This will give you 1 day extra at Leh which can be utilised for night stay at Pangong.

Day 9 Don't stop at Sarchu. Push ahead to Jispa. Start at around 7:00 AM from Tso Moriri and you can easily hit Jispa by 8 in the evening. No need to stay at high altitude Sarchu. Staying at Jispa gives you lot of buffer time for Rohtang. Monssons will be at full fury and Rohtang will be messy.

Carry enough fuel for Leh - Tso Moriri - Manali circuit.
columbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 12:37   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will have to reverse the itinerary for the above two days as you will require inner line permits to visit Nubra valley. Plus, doing Panamik & Diskit on the same day will not allow you enough time to enjoy each of these places. So to have a relaxed drive break the Day 5 into two. My suggestions below, also consider the added time of driving in mountains as against the plains.

Day5: Leh local with permits
Day6: Leh > K'la > Diskit > Hundur > Diskit (stay)
Day7: Diskit > Panamik > K'la > Leh

Last edited by motomaverick : 8th April 2013 at 12:40.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 21:45   #834
BHPian

Finally I am in row for a new car, with Leh Ladakh in mind and 8-9 lac in purse(with ABS and Airbag).
My previous ride-2007 Ford Fusion diesel with 92k kms on clock. Though the car still drives well for its age but somehow it didnt perform as intended during my Keylong and Chitkul trip.
Prob1-There were 3 people on board and the car used to lose power while uphill. I mean if I have to move steadily uphill @ 20 kmph in first gear, I have to slip clutch every 3-4 secs to keep going, otherwise the car was like bogged down or anemic for the task(otherwise the engine is known for its good low end torque).
Prob2-The front driving tyre lose traction on steep gravely inclines, means if somehow you stop at an steep incline with lose dust, and when you start again, the front tyre slip fairly and then you start moving with front tyres still slipping for another say 50 meters depending upon steepness.
I didnt notice such problems with fully loaded Sumos, taveras, Tempos in front. Yes they had to slip clutch during start on the incline but there was no slipping from rear wheel drive.
Came home, googled the probs and came to know that during steep inclines, the front tyres are at traction disadvantage because the centre of gravity shifts backward. So the car has to be rwd.
and To increase traction and prevent tyre slip one can use broad block suv tyres.
2012, Mahindra quanto launched. Healthy Torque lower in the rpm band but being weighed down by heavy kerb weight.
2013, Ford ecosport round the corner, technically same as Fusion apart from having some more torque.
So what the Gurus here say (knowing the technical specifications), Specifically for Leh Ladakh/ Lahaul Spiti, which is more competent Mahindra Quanto or wait for Ecosport.
Its like now or never. Thanks all
Old 12th April 2013, 11:20   #835
BHPian

Hello,

Can anyone help me with the Hotel Telephone numbers or email id of D' Zojila, Kargil?

Do you think that Wari La would be closed some time in mid June? I plan to do:

Leh > Nubra
Nubra > Wari La > Pangong
Pangong > Leh.

If i go through Wari La - i will save a day.

Thanks

Last edited by Devrishi : 12th April 2013 at 11:32.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:32   #836
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
I will be travelling from Leh to Manali and also I think I will be passing the Rohtang pass in the evening ( late), so it suits me.

Also for Private vehicles you need to take the permit to travel to Rohtang from Manali, courtesy local taxi folks.
Actually not any more. Somebody filed a case against the local admin policy of permits for out of state vehicles. They won the case as this kind of "out of state vehicle requires permit" is unconstitutional. You cannot have permits for specific vehicles unless you are going to an Inner line Permit restricted area.
So from this season onwards, no more permit nonsense!
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 15:24   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
Hello,

Can anyone help me with the Hotel Telephone numbers or email id of D' Zojila, Kargil?

Do you think that Wari La would be closed some time in mid June? I plan to do:

Leh > Nubra
Nubra > Wari La > Pangong
Pangong > Leh.

If i go through Wari La - i will save a day.

Thanks
Ok searched & searched for Hotel D' Zojila numbers on net but could not get the same... took the number from one hotel in Leh.... The DIRECT contact telephone number of D' Zojila is 09419187452 contact person is Mr. Abbas

I hope it helps someone...
Devrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 12:10   #838
BHPian

Dear friends... i need your expert guidance in finalizing my Leh program... we are a family with 2 kids (7 & 15 yrs). I shall be taking a driver with me.. The program is as follows:

6th June: Kanpur > Karnal
7th June: Karnal > Amritsar
8th June: Amritsar > Srinagar
9th June: Srinagar
10h June: Srinagar > Kargil
11h June: Kargil > Leh
12th June: Leh
13th June: Leh > Nubra
14th June: Nubra
15th June: Nubra > Pangong Tso
16th June: Pangong Tso > Tso moriri
17th June: Tso Moriri > Sarchu
18th June: Sarchu > Manali [Tuesday Rohtang is closed, i will have no traffic hassels]
19th June: Manali
20th June: Manali > Karnal
21th June: Karnal > Kanpur

I need special guidance in the Amritsar part of my trip. From Karnal (stay at Haveli) it is around 330 Kms. I will check-out from hotel at around 7 am. How much time will it take to reach Amritsar? How are the road conditions?

In Amritsar i have only 1 day stay & i want to Visit Golden Temple, Jallianwala bagh & Wagah Border. Is it possible? How do i plan it? I can keep Jallianwala bagh & Golden Temple in the evening hours as there is Light & Sound Show at 7:30Pm at Jallianwala bagh & Golden Temple is very close to it. What time the ceremony takes place at Wagah Border? Will it be possible to catch 7:30Pm Light & Sound Show after Wagah Border? Please guide me.

Secondly, Amritsar to Srinagar - is it possible to cover in a day? How are the road conditions? Please guide me here too.

Thirdly, is rest of the program smooth?

Thank you so much..
Old 13th April 2013, 12:50   #839
J.Ravi

Quote:
How much time will it take to reach Amritsar? How are the road conditions?
Karnal to Amritsar will take about 6 hours. The road [NH 1] is good with a lot of good diversions.
Quote:
Is it possible? How do i plan it?
Complete Jallianwala Bagh and the Golden Temple [open 24x7] in the morning and after-noon.
Quote:
Light & Sound Show at 7:30Pm at Jallianwala bagh
You can easily attend the programme after returning from witnessing the ceremony at Atari-Wagah border.
Quote:
What time the ceremony takes place at Wagah Border?
Be there at Atari by 5 pm in the evening. Start from Amritsar [multi-level car parking near Jallianwalla Bagh] by 4 pm. There are a lot of private taxis available for this trip.
Quote:
Will it be possible to catch 7:30Pm Light & Sound Show after Wagah Border?
Yes. It will be possible. No worries.
Quote:
Amritsar to Srinagar - is it possible to cover in a day?
Yes, possible. I left Amritsar at 11 am and reached my hotel at Srinagar at 2:30 am, the next day.
Quote:
How are the road conditions?
Except near the PB-JK border crossing, the NH is good.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 13th April 2013 at 12:53.
  (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 13:56   #840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dear friends... i need your expert guidance in finalizing my Leh program... we are a family with 2 kids (7 & 15 yrs). I shall be taking a driver with me.. The program is as follows:

6th June: Kanpur > Karnal
7th June: Karnal > Amritsar
8th June: Amritsar > Srinagar
9th June: Srinagar
10h June: Srinagar > Kargil
11h June: Kargil > Leh
12th June: Leh
13th June: Leh > Nubra
14th June: Nubra
15th June: Nubra > Pangong Tso
16th June: Pangong Tso > Tso moriri
17th June: Tso Moriri > Sarchu
18th June: Sarchu > Manali [Tuesday Rohtang is closed, i will have no traffic hassels]
19th June: Manali
20th June: Manali > Karnal
21th June: Karnal > Kanpur

I need special guidance in the Amritsar part of my trip. From Karnal (stay at Haveli) it is around 330 Kms. I will check-out from hotel at around 7 am. How much time will it take to reach Amritsar? How are the road conditions?

In Amritsar i have only 1 day stay & i want to Visit Golden Temple, Jallianwala bagh & Wagah Border. Is it possible? How do i plan it? I can keep Jallianwala bagh & Golden Temple in the evening hours as there is Light & Sound Show at 7:30Pm at Jallianwala bagh & Golden Temple is very close to it. What time the ceremony takes place at Wagah Border? Will it be possible to catch 7:30Pm Light & Sound Show after Wagah Border? Please guide me.

Secondly, Amritsar to Srinagar - is it possible to cover in a day? How are the road conditions? Please guide me here too.

Thirdly, is rest of the program smooth?

Thank you so much..
Karnal to Amritsar can take around 8 hours. So you can fit in Jallianwala bagh and Golden Temple. Rest will be dicey.
Wagah is a 1 hour drive from Amritsar. If you really want to do it, see Golden Temple at Afternoon(40 degree Centigrade), then go to Wagah and come back for Sound and light show if you are still not hospitalized after Sun Stroke
Ideally, go to Amritsar, rest at hotel till 4pm, then go to Wagah, come back for sound and light show, and see Golden Temple. Do not eat at hotel. Take Langar at Golden Temple. ITs a must, do not skip it.

Amritsar to Srinagar is possible in a day if you start by 8am latest. At punjab JK border cops stop trucks in middle of the road leading to 2-3 hour long jams often.

Secondly, you do not need two nights at Nubra. If Wari la is closed(quite possible in june) you can drive back to leh and then simply head to pangong the next day. This will give you time for pangong.

Pangong to Tso moriri can take 14+ hours.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 13th April 2013 at 14:01.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed