Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 19:34   #871
BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hello Shutterbugger, I want to thank you for the attached planner. If you don't mind I have downloaded it and have distributed it to my fellow companions. We are yet to decide on how to transport the jeeps to Delhi (there are 2 as of now). We are passing off of purchasing a 2nd hand temporary car as that is working out expensive. Nonetheless we are still keeping our options open. I will be posting here more frequently as we plan to travel to Leh by the 1st week of June. So yes, as the planning unfolds, I shall post more and more queries here. Also, this site BCM Touring is pretty tripped out. They too have a lot of suggested itineraries for Leh. Link to that site is http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/ladakh-zanskar-f24/

Cheers!
Rohan
Yes, bcm touring is good too. But it's tough enought to cope up with everything that is posted here! Pls use this planner at ease...that's what it has been shared for!
Old 27th April 2013, 14:57   #872
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbugger View Post
I have organized these notes and put together the attached document which I think covers a lot of the basic info. The intention is for this to be some sort of an FAQ for Ladakh newbies like me who come to this forum to get gyan. I saw that a lot of generic questions were getting repeated which can be avoided through this document...at least that's my endeavour
Thanks buddy

Your document has been added to the opening post of this thread. That way, no one will miss it.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 22:56   #873
Distinguished - BHPian

With the current incursion issue in Ladakh, any idea if the permits are being denied or is it B-A-U? Are there any restrictions in place? Anyone been there already or heading out in the near future (before Mid-May)?
Old 1st May 2013, 15:58   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, given I am planning to go to Ladakh either this year or the next, I went through this entire thread and kept taking note of what advice and info folks had to share as. I have organized these notes and put together the attached document ....

Thanks Shutterbugger ; this was quite helpful. I am planning a Manali-Leh trip in Sept, probably solo in my Alto. Noticed you have excluded the small cars from your list altogether Will add in my experience too
Old 1st May 2013, 19:03   #875
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to visit Sri nagar - Leh Ladakh - Manali in the first 2 weeks of September. The Ladakh festival is from 1-15 september every year. Do I have to book the hotels before hand, or can I book then whenever i reach? Will there be sufficient occupancy given the festival dates?
Old 1st May 2013, 19:54   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofmars View Post
Thanks Shutterbugger ; this was quite helpful. I am planning a Manali-Leh trip in Sept, probably solo in my Alto. Noticed you have excluded the small cars from your list altogether Will add in my experience too
Thanks, spiritofmars...it will be quite helpful to learn from your experience of doing the terrain in an Alto. Look we'd to reading your travelogue!
Old 1st May 2013, 20:50   #877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am planning a Manali-Leh trip in Sept, probably solo in my Alto. Noticed you have excluded the small cars from your list altogether Will add in my experience too
Shouldn't be a problem as I see. BRO should patch up most of the bad stretches by that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I am planning to visit Sri nagar - Leh Ladakh - Manali in the first 2 weeks of September. The Ladakh festival is from 1-15 september every year. Do I have to book the hotels before hand, or can I book then whenever i reach? Will there be sufficient occupancy given the festival dates?
Better if you book in advance. You'll get a better price and choice if you book soon. You can expect good numbers of foreign tourists at that time.

Who knows, may be we'll meet there too.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 21:31   #878
BHPian

Further to my query posted a couple of days ago about transporting 2 Jeeps from Coorg to Delhi for our Leh trip, I have come up with yet another viable solution. You see, there are several Maruti Udyog trucks which come to South India and unload their cars here. I heard most of them go back empty. I was thinking, what if I am able to strike a nominal priced deal to get them to transport our jeeps to Delhi and we pick them up once we fly there. Likewise, there must be plenty of Ford/Toyota trailers who go to Delhi to drop their cars. So for the return, if we can get one of their empty trucks to transport our jeeps, I am sure it should work out cheaper. Now question: Do you think this is a good idea? If so, how do I get in touch with them. Does anyone know which Road Transport Company MUL and Ford/Toyota use?

Cheers!
Rohan

Last edited by rjalihal : 1st May 2013 at 21:33. Reason: rectifying spelling errors.
Old 1st May 2013, 21:52   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Shouldn't be a problem as I see. BRO should patch up most of the bad stretches by that time.
Yes, that's the main reason for choosing Sept, as I am not keen to pitch my Alto against the kind of roads that exist in Jun/Jul.

Any suggestions on possible camping sites on the way, where one can pitch his own tent? High altitude winds, possible wildlife encounters are the main deterrents and I am trying currently to get more info from an Indian Army contact who's posted near Leh. From what I have gathered so far, it's probably a bad idea to try this on the way to Leh. However, I am following adc's travelogue on biking across Ladakh, and so far it seems like he was able to pull it off without major hassles. Any personal vignettes to share, anyone?

Quote:
Thanks, spiritofmars...it will be quite helpful to learn from your experience of doing the terrain in an Alto. Look we'd to reading your travelogue!
No prob .. solo to Leh has been a dream for many years. I am just glad I will be able to do it this year ... will definitely post the experience and photos. Hope you have an awesome and safe trip too

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st May 2013 at 21:59.
Old 1st May 2013, 22:13   #880
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any suggestions on possible camping sites on the way, where one can pitch his own tent?
You don't need any camping site. Sarchu camp guys normally pack up their tents by the end of October. They go by official road closure dates. You'll get camps there during September. Before that you can stay either at Keylong or Jispa.
Post Leh and depending on where you want to travel.. you Leh accommodation team can help you. Nubra/Pangong/Tso Moriri should have tents till then.

Other than these areas, you need to talk to your army contacts. They're the best to suggest here.
Old 1st May 2013, 22:45   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Further to my query posted a couple of days ago about transporting 2 Jeeps from Coorg to Delhi for our Leh trip,Does anyone know which Road Transport Company MUL and Ford/Toyota use?

Cheers!
Rohan
I used Aggarwal Packers, they are transporters for Maruti and other auto companies. I went through a contact in Maruti to ship my Vitara from Gurgaon to Bangalore and then back to Gurgaon. It cost me 26k for Gurgaon to Bangalore and 22k from Bangalore to Gurgaon.
Their numbers are 9312407765 for Gurgaon (forgot his name) and Manmohan for Bangalore 9379924621. It should be cheaper for a jeep and do clarify the insurance part to make sure in transit damage is covered. My vehicle was covered but a friend did tell me that rather than paying for 10 days special insurance it's cheaper to change the cover with your existing insurer.
mustysekhon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 17:40   #882
BHPian

Is is possible to visit padum through Drass -> Umba La instead of Drass->Kargil. I think it will save distance and also will allow to view many new scenic views. Any one has any idea on this route. Is it doable in 3rd week of Jun, how much moew fuel we need take extra, since now we will nor be filling at Kargil
Old 2nd May 2013, 17:56   #883
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
Is is possible to visit padum through Drass -> Umba La instead of Drass->Kargil. I think it will save distance and also will allow to view many new scenic views. Any one has any idea on this route. Is it doable in 3rd week of Jun, how much moew fuel we need take extra, since now we will nor be filling at Kargil
As of October 2012, Umba La pass was closed due to landslides. This area can get some heavy rain, and route is very unstable. Its best to ask the locals at Drass(When coming from Sonmarg side) or at Sankoo(When coming from Suru side) about the status.
Old 2nd May 2013, 18:18   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Further to my query posted a couple of days ago about transporting 2 Jeeps from Coorg to Delhi for our Leh trip, I have come up with yet another viable solution. You see, there are several Maruti Udyog trucks which come to South India and unload their cars here. I heard most of them go back empty. I was thinking, what if I am able to strike a nominal priced deal to get them to transport our jeeps to Delhi and we pick them up once we fly there. Likewise, there must be plenty of Ford/Toyota trailers who go to Delhi to drop their cars. So for the return, if we can get one of their empty trucks to transport our jeeps, I am sure it should work out cheaper. Now question: Do you think this is a good idea? If so, how do I get in touch with them. Does anyone know which Road Transport Company MUL and Ford/Toyota use?

Cheers!
Rohan
Most likely this idea has already occured to Maruti and Ford/Toyota or the transporters servicing them and they would be doing this load balancing already - maruti cars in one direction and Ford/Toyota/Hyundai in the other
Old 2nd May 2013, 18:30   #885
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
Last year i had crossed Drass in second week of June and the locals there said that the route still had 5 feet of snow. Didn't go up and verify though
Closed Thread

Most Viewed