Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 08:02   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh 2011 - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
the hotel guy warned us that helicopter is practically impossible,
You can always go the helipad and check directly - it should not be difficult , when you are going by chopper you can by pass the usual line - though I don't like the concept - it does save lot of hassles , prey from my side as well . Rajvinder singh
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 09:59   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You can always go the helipad and check directly - it should not be difficult , when you are going by chopper you can by pass the usual line - though I don't like the concept - it does save lot of hassles , prey from my side as well . Rajvinder singh
Thanks Rajvinder, will check it out
Old 17th May 2011, 15:45   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Hi Rajwinder, your suggestion did work after all, we were able to secure seats for the upward journey by the evening yesterday (had to wait and hang around for almost 4-5 hrs), and once in, we reached upin a jiffy, the rates have gne down to Rs.700/- so everyone wants to use the service, the place was crowded like a railway station, anyway, once up the special pass somehow did not give us any special previllage in the Q and we entered through Gate #3,

however since we waited for long after aarti to enter get in the Q, the rush had really thinned down. and we went through very quick

the temple premises seems to have a pattern, the template initially seemed very easy-go, but by 11:00 pm there was not a place to even sit within the premises, and people everywhere

also, I was very happily surprised to see a farmer category senior citizen group, in tattered traditional white kura pajama and topi, even in Pune, this particular category regularly partakes in some relegious abode almost back to back, I salute their spirit

we started downward at around 12:00 hrs and took almost 5-6 hours to reach down, and since we left the car at the helipad itself, we took an auto for Rs. 200 to reach the helipad and pick the car

after reaching helipad, it was discovered that either by purpose or by puncture itself the both the front tyres were flat. used the trusted LIMI tyre inflator and comfortabaly reached back to the hotel

btw, I spotted a MH-12 Fortuner at Katra this morning, anyone we know????

today is going to be total rest day, so we are completely indoors at hotel and will start for Srinagar tomorrow morning, I am now a little worried abiut the fact that the schedule is slipping, we need to be back in Pune by month end

now next, the only challenge is that I need to desperately visit a toyota service centre somewhere en-route, need to get the tyres looked at for the leaks if any, car needs a thorough wash outside and inside and the left hand side side view miror (just the glass) needs to be replaced and someone broke it while the car was in the hotel parking yesterday, I have contacted the Toyota Toll free to help me out, they said that they will put a word to the Toyota Showroom in Jammu and Leh (same guys), as surprisingly there is no toyota dealer in Srinagar, which happens to be my next destination

now most of you may be wonedring that why to i need to go to toyota even for such basic requirments.
But, I am a little phobic with any outside guy for even smallest of work, I have had problems earlier, even with most basic stuff such as washing and wheel allignment and even tyre replacments

I am trying to reach the Toyota guys here in Jammu to check if they have the part in stock, but this bsnl mobile has been telling my that the network is congested and I should try after some time (such a passe statement in today's era, but so nostalgic )
Old 17th May 2011, 19:18   #124
Team-BHP Support

Jai Mata Di ,

Sorry to hear about your punctures - someone must have deflated the air as you may not have parked in the lots - they have some kind of cartels

I will advise you to put something on mirror locally - don't let the guy touch anything else , i am not sure if Toyota will give only Glass for the mirror assembly or the Leh or Jammu guys will actually have ,

Keep your post updated - especially on Zojilla pass .
Old 17th May 2011, 19:50   #125
BHPian

Leh June 2011 -

Hello All,

We are a group of 6 from Hyderabad doing the Leh trip mid June. We are planning to fly from Hyd to Delhi, rent a cab from Delhi to Manali and hire bikes to do Manali-Leh-Manali. Below is the itinerary.

18th June Departure from Hyd
10:00 AM depart to Manali
12:00am Reach Manali
19th June around Manali/ Sightseeing/ Bike Rentals
20th June 5 am off to leh
20th June Midnite Halt at Sarchu
22nd June Reach Leh
24th Depart from Leh
26th June Reach Manali
26th June Departure to Delhi
27th June Delhi to Hyd

Anyone whose done Manali-Leh-Manali on bikes in June, please advise on the weather condition in June, precautionary measures to avoid AMS and if the above itinerary looks possible.

Thanks in advance for your replies
Old 18th May 2011, 17:48   #126
BHPian

Anupam,

I am all ears for the next please do update about the roads, so I guess you will now be on your way to srinagar. Will you be trying to go to Zansakar as well?
Old 18th May 2011, 18:28   #127
BHPian

Re: Leh June 2011 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post
We are a group of 6 from Hyderabad doing the Leh trip mid June. We are planning to fly from Hyd to Delhi, rent a cab from Delhi to Manali and hire bikes to do Manali-Leh-Manali. Below is the itinerary.
Good to know about your proposed Leh Trip Sabrish. Is Waseem also a part of this trip? I believe MileCruncher, Ravveendra & others are also doing a trip to Leh during the same time or a fortnight later. It would be great if you can have a word with them for some inputs. In the meantime, check your PM, sent you details.
Old 18th May 2011, 23:05   #128
Mik
BHPian

Need some inputs on a rough Leh plan

Most probably - 2 biking couples (P220 and ZMA)

Dates from 13th Aug to 22nd/23rd Aug

We had planned on a Delhi - Kashmir - Leh - Khardungla - Pangong Tso - Tso Moriri - Sarchu - Manali - Delhi run.
However, i don't want to be in the valley on 14th or 15th August. Hence the journey will have to be anticlockwise.
The queries i have:
1. Can one go from DEL - Manali - Sarchu to Tso Moriri ? Or we have to go to Leh to get the permits and stuff.
If that be the case, what should be our plan so that we can still make it in the limited time we have. Tso moriri is a priority and we want to include it desperately.
2. I have got some info from some sources that Aug end is a decent time to go to Leh. Any disagreements ?
3. Any big problem with the plan ?
4. Availability of proper toilets at all the halt points.

Thanks !
Old 19th May 2011, 03:32   #129
BHPian

What is the possibility of Kargil - Rangdum - Padum route be open by June 1st weekend / 2nd week ?

My tentative dates of travel is 04 June - 14 June 2011. Would visit Spiti Valley (If Kunzum La is Open) or Zanskar (If Pensi La is Open)

Thanks in advance for any inputs / suggestions. Thanks!
Old 19th May 2011, 09:29   #130
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh June 2011 -

Quote:
Hello All,

18th June Departure from Hyd
10:00 AM depart to Manali
12:00am Reach Manali
19th June around Manali/ Sightseeing/ Bike Rentals
20th June 5 am off to leh
20th June Midnite Halt at Sarchu
22nd June Reach Leh
24th Depart from Leh
26th June Reach Manali
26th June Departure to Delhi
27th June Delhi to Hyd

Anyone whose done Manali-Leh-Manali on bikes in June, please advise on the weather condition in June, precautionary measures to avoid AMS and if the above itinerary looks possible.

Thanks in advance for your replies
Firstly this is bit hectic. You should do Manali - Leh in three days which will help you acclimitise better. It is better to stay in Jispa on day one than Sarchu. Sarchu is at a height of 13K and you are travelling from Manali which is 3.5K and acclimitiation will be an issue. We faced the problem and since we had hired a cab, it was OK. Since you are driving yourself on Bike make sense to do it in three days.

Secondly, June will have lot of snow in the passes and will be very cold on Bike. Need to have proper gear. Also, the roads will be slippery.

I saw this excellent biking guide to Manali - Leh road on Outlook Traveller which will complemenet the advise you will get from fellow BHPians. Hope this will be of help.

travel.outlookindia.com | The Motorcycle Diaries
Old 19th May 2011, 10:28   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Whats the ride plan?
For a start, you havent mentioned if you'll be 6 bikes or 3 bikes with pillions, the riding dynamics change a lot if you're with pillion riders. Also, I'm not sure if you have previous riding experience since riding in these mountains isnt anywhere similar to doing a dirt track at lower altitudes. Here the thin air will have you gasping for breath within no time, add to that the numbing cold. Riding with a pillion is difficult and you'll hear the 350cc engines (I'm assuming you're hiring enfields) grunting on 1st gear with full throttle to climb the hair pin bends.

Previous experience with bikes?
Are you guys are familiar with enfields? These are monstrous babies and need a lot of care and attention to get you back safe and sound. Renting a bike needs extreme caution since you may strike a cheap deal only to get stranded somewhere at 10k+ altitude and/or return back on a truck. Look for some reputed names when you rent the bikes. I have seen guys on rented bikes carrying no spares or tools, this can prove very costly if you have a breakdown at one of the passes. Make sure you have the tools/spares even though you dont own those bikes.

Endurance?
What was the last time you sat on a bike for more than 8 hours? Its difficult to adjust for the first 2 days and you can feel your behind going numb after the initial breaking in period. June will be cold at all the passes and if you dont have enough gear, you can easily get frost bites because you're directly exposed to the cold unlike a car. A good jacket, a fitting helmet, insulated gloves and good riding boots are a must. You may also encounter snowfall at times (mostly Baralach La) so be prepared for that.

What about the Itinerary?
Well, I guess Fauji has already mentioned it, but let me say it again. Doing Manali - Sarchu - Leh is a good idea for those who have been there and done that types. For first timers, its always a gamble and a 3 day option works best to ensure that you complete the trip without much issues. Think of a stop at Jispa/Keylong on your onward journey, you can skip this on the return since you will be masters by then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Firstly this is bit hectic. You should do Manali - Leh in three days which will help you acclimitise better. It is better to stay in Jispa on day one than Sarchu. Sarchu is at a height of 13K and you are travelling from Manali which is 3.5K and acclimitiation will be an issue. We faced the problem and since we had hired a cab, it was OK. Since you are driving yourself on Bike make sense to do it in three days.
Also, you're going with no rest/buffer days so in case there are issues which hold you back you'll not be in Delhi on time for your flight to Hyd. Make sure you add in at least one day for contingencies, you can spend this day at Manali on your way back if you dont use it in the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I saw this excellent biking guide to Manali - Leh road on Outlook Traveller which will complemenet the advise you will get from fellow BHPians. Hope this will be of help.

travel.outlookindia.com | The Motorcycle Diaries
Thats an excellent article and covers the most critical aspects of riding in Ladakh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post

I hope the pillion on the P220 is going to be okay with the rough terrain. We've always had a P180 rider with us on our rides, but nobody really wanted to sit pillion with him ever. It gets very uncomfortable for the pillion and managing the bike over rocks becomes difficult too. Its not impossible, but needs a lot of perseverance from both the rider and pillion.

Also, you'll need to travel really light since you dont have many options to strap on luggage on either of the bikes. Dont forget to get spares and be ready to repair punctures yourselves.

Quote:
However, i don't want to be in the valley on 14th or 15th August. Hence the journey will have to be anticlockwise.
Good decision!

Quote:
The queries i have:
1. Can one go from DEL - Manali - Sarchu to Tso Moriri ? Or we have to go to Leh to get the permits and stuff.
If that be the case, what should be our plan so that we can still make it in the limited time we have. Tso moriri is a priority and we want to include it desperately.
Permits have to be made in Leh. HOwever, you can get in touch with any of the tour operators in Leh and fax them details for your permits. they will be able to fax/scan the permits to you which you can then use to go to Tso moriri. This will cost you a bit more but will save you lots of time.

Word of caution, Tso Moriri is a big detour and with no fuel stops its going to be an issue for your bikes to make it to Leh. You will need another 10 litres each to make it to Leh after the full tanks at Tandi.

Quote:
2. I have got some info from some sources that Aug end is a decent time to go to Leh. Any disagreements ?
3. Any big problem with the plan ?
August is a good time to go, you'll find it warm at some of the places and the snow will be gone in most places. But this is the time you get the clear blue skies and its an excellent time for getting beautiful landscape shots.

Quote:
4. Availability of proper toilets at all the halt points.
LOL!!! Be prepared to enjoy the nature if need be. You'll find toilets when you camp at Sarchu/Tso Moriri/Leh/Kargil but not at any of the other smaller places.

Enjoy your trip guys, I'm going to miss it this year but will wait for all the travelogues to pour in and have a virtual tour!
amolpol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 11:28   #132
BHPian

Quote:

I am planning my Bike-to-Leh in the very same window!
But, my plan starts from Bengaluru.
and,
I may ride solo / with my friend (50/50 chances).

I will be doing Leh on my Fz.

Do keep me informed, how you plan, and your routes and all.
I have to do some more planning over that (as I have to traverse extra 4000 kms).

Thanks,

Ace.

Thanks amolpol for the inputs.
Please share the bike preparations that you did.
Old 19th May 2011, 14:57   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Whats the ride plan?

Previous experience with bikes?

Endurance?

Also, you're going with no rest/buffer days so in case there are issues which hold you back you'll not be in Delhi on time for your flight to Hyd. Make sure you add in at least one day for contingencies, you can spend this day at Manali on your way back if you dont use it in the trip.

Thats an excellent article and covers the most critical aspects of riding in Ladakh!!

Hi Amol/ Fauji..

Thanks for your detailed inputs. Sorry, i should have mentioned the travel plan in detail in my first post.

Whats the ride plan?

We are hiring six bikes, 3 thunder-birds and 3 Pulsar's 180.

Previous experience with bikes.. Well.. to be frank its been ages since I have ridden a bike for a very long distance. One of the members travelling with us has some good experience handling bikes and can manage minor or major niggles that we might have to face ( flat tires, clutch/ brake wires, changing headlamps ) etc..

Our tickets were booked a month back. Also, most of us do not have enough leaves to extend or change the travel plans. As per your suggestion we have changed the travel plans to halt the first day at Jispa instead of Sarchu and Instead of spending the first day for Sightseeing in Manali, we plan to start the same day to Leh and halt at Jispa for the night.

I now think that we should have added a buffer day to relax and not rush it the way the itinerary is turned out to be..

Thanks again for your detailed and very informative response..

Cheers..
Old 22nd May 2011, 17:41   #134
BHPian

Hey All,

Here is my plan transplanted from last year for the leh ride out of Bangalore.

1. Bangalore-Pune
2. Pune - Ahmedabad.
3. Ahmedabad - Jaipur.
4. Jaipur - Chandigarh (bye-passing Delhi).
5. Chandigarh - Shimla.
6. Rest Day.
7. Shimla - Kalpa.
8. Kalpa - Kaza.
9. Kaza - Keylong.
10. Keylong - Sarchu.
11. Sarchu - Leh.
12. Leh - Sumur.
13. Sumur - Spangmik.
14. Rest Day.
15. Spangmik - Hanle.
16. Hanle - Korzok (Tso Morori).
17. Korzok - Sarchu.
18. Sarchu - Manali.
19. Rest Day.
20. Manali - Chandigarh.
21. Chandigarh - New Delhi.
22. New Delhi - Udaipur.
23. Udaipur - Vapi.
24. Vapi - Kolhapur.
25. Kolhapur - Bangalore.

This is just the raw first draft, I think I may take a little longer specially in the Spiti Circuit and the return to Delhi.
The after trip withdrawal symptoms are always very acute physically.
The team is my sister, BIL and little nephew in a Fortunner.
The tentative time frame fixed is last week of August into first half of September.
All suggestions are welcome.
Manmohan.
Old 25th May 2011, 17:41   #135
BHPian

Any idea if the Avis' Ford Endevour deal would be available this year too ? Nothing is mentioned on their website yet.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed