Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2011, 17:41   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh 2011 - Trip Planning - All queries go here

I was not driving very fast except for few patches which were kind of highway for Pajero but did skipped lot of turns - you must have noticed some marks on turns - shortcuts which locals use - i followed most of these including one very scary at one of la's and I remember jumping lot of the turns on Ghata Loops , I didn't break for lunch though , have planned for next week - Delhi - Srinagar- Leh - Keylong - Kaza -Simla - Delhi with family - shall see what happens in Fortuner this time .
Old 30th May 2011, 21:16   #152
BHPian

Sree-

Thsi is all Google Maps Warrior business. Like India on a PSP or Wii...

Your trip is almost bordering on the impossible. U'pur Chandigarh in a day... MAYBE-MAYBE---- fine, its just your 3rd day on the road. Manali acclimatisation at 2000-2500M is necessary for the lady and the child for 24 hours.
Leh-Khardung la_and back is a joy ride and you should add a day (if possible and stay over at Deskit/Hunder and see the most amazing dryscapes that you will ever see.
Leh Pangong- you will be lucky to do it in a day. And if you get an average of 6kmpl at that altitude, make sure you carry atleast 25L in jerry cans. You will max make it to Tangtse on the way back before nightfall.
Cancel Nubra.
Srinagar_Pathankot- not possible in a day. Too many variables. Traffic and Army convoys in one sector will destroy yuor timing. If you are trying the Udhampur-Dhar road without Army support, its ill advised. Come and stay in Jammu for a day as if Banihal closes and you are even 3 minutes late, you will have to backtrack with the lady+child. NOT worth it.
Pathankot- and its traffic- have you asked anyone about this? You will consistently manage an average of 60- meaning you will be in New Delhi around last light... and you want to drive with the family across the Chambal after 2200 to arrive into a city like Gwalior at midnight.

You know what- you need some serious counselling on the distances and roads.

But Leh-Pangong-Leh in a day- not possible. Srinagar-Pathankot- not possible and Pathankot-Gwalior- not possible.

You got to be joking to try this with family. I am sorry i cannot offer encouragement.

KD
Old 30th May 2011, 21:29   #153
BHPian

Inside the car a light jacket will do, else heater. Outside the car a nice jacket required. At night, forget the temperature charts, you will need to be clothed from top to toe, and have a roof over your head. Wind chill often reaches -10- to -25 on any night there... and you cannot do anything but crawl back into your car and switch on the heater and worry about monoxide poisoning. And tehn the fuel the next morning to reach Leh.
So stay in the tents and cabins arranged for tourists in the Jun-Sept season there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Any idea what the temperatures would be like at night during 2nd week of june at Pangong lake and nubra valley.I am staying overnight at the camp there.Do I need to carry heavy woolens or light would do?
Old 30th May 2011, 21:29   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Come and stay in Jammu for a day as if Banihal closes and you are even 3 minutes late, you will have to backtrack with the lady+child. NOT worth it.
KD
But isn't the Jawahar Tunnel o[pen 24 hours nowadays? Unlike the earlier 8 am - 5 pm?
Old 30th May 2011, 21:38   #155
BHPian

~HVK_ appreciate the question.

I stand corrected- QUICKLY. Tunnel operating hours are stated as follows:

"Tunnel open 24x7, save excess Snowfall"

Here is the time chart for Srinagar-Pathankot.

Dep Srinagar 0700- arr into Jammu by 1500, driving time 7 hours, one hour halt/refreshments etc.

Dep Jammu 1630, arr Pathankot 1900.

This has been cross checked with authorities in J&K just now, and its good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
But isn't the Jawahar Tunnel o[pen 24 hours nowadays? Unlike the earlier 8 am - 5 pm?
Old 30th May 2011, 22:03   #156
BHPian

MH 03 White Scorpio on this run:

Wave if you are on this route.

31 Aug- Chandigarh- Manali (stay in Manali)
01 Sept- Manali (Stay in Manali)
02 Sept- Manali-Sarchu (stay)
03 Sept- Sarchu-Pang-Tso Kar- Upshi (stay)
04 Sept- Upshi- Leh (stay in Leh)
05 Sept- Leh city- local (Stay in Leh)
06 Sept- Leh- Khardung La- Deskit- Hunder (Stay)
07 Sept- Hunder- Khardung La- Leh (stayin Leh)
08 Sept- Leh- Chang La- Pangong Tso- Tangtse (Stay)
09 Sept- Tangtse- Leh (stay in Leh)
10 Sept- Leh- Alchi- Leh (Stay in Leh)
11 Sept- Leh-Kargil
12 Sept- Kargil- Srinagar
13 Sept- Srinagar-Jammu-Pathankot
14 Sept- Pathankot-Abohar
15Sept- Abohar-Jaisalmer
16Sept- Ahmedabad
17Sept- Mumbai
Old 31st May 2011, 09:42   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Am I the first ??

We started from Pune on the 9/May almost at 1 pm, thanks to my my system crash on Sunday afternoon, costed me Monday half day to get it up and working
could not have left without, as this is a working holiday

members: wife and 2 kids of 8yr and 3 yr respectively
Car: Innova
Special Prepration: None

9/May, Monday - started from Pune at 1pm reached, reached somewhere ahead of Ahmedabad near Akshardham and stayed at Anjali Hotel
10/May, Tuesday - started from Ahmedabad at 1pm, reached Jaipur by evening, had lovely meal at LMB
11/May, Wednesday - Started from Jaipur at 1 pm and reached Delhi by easy evening
12/May, Thursday - STAY @ Delhi, meet relatives
13/May, Friday - Start from Delhi at 5am, (my Mother joins us) reached Wagah Border by 3 pm, holed up at CJ Inn opp the Golden Temple, Amritsar. Everyone exhausted due to heat exposure for 3 hours at Wagah
14/May, Saturday - STAY @ Amritsar, took it easy, spent good time in the temple, enjoyed food at 'Bade Bhai ka Dhaba' and 'Kesar ka Dhaba'
15/May, Sunday - to start for Daharmshala today

I will be going through, Daharmshala - Jammu - Srinagar - Leh

I have another 2 weeks in hand, so I am taking easy and everything is flexible

so any of you on the same route or somewhere around can sms me at +91.75886.82915
So, we both got into Jammu on the same day. The drive from Jammu to Srinagar on 17th was horrendous; I am sure you would have faced the same as well. Took us almost 12hours to hit Srinagar Airport.

So, where all did you go?
Old 31st May 2011, 09:57   #158
BHPian

Quote:
~HVK_ appreciate the question.

I stand corrected- QUICKLY. Tunnel operating hours are stated as follows:

"Tunnel open 24x7, save excess Snowfall"

Here is the time chart for Srinagar-Pathankot.

Dep Srinagar 0700- arr into Jammu by 1500, driving time 7 hours, one hour halt/refreshments etc.

Dep Jammu 1630, arr Pathankot 1900.

This has been cross checked with authorities in J&K just now, and its good.
Just a question... Any specific reason for getting into Jammu?

We did Dras - Sonemarg - Srinagar (Byepass) - Patnitop - Udhampur - Dhar Road (known as 'ByePass to Samba / Pathankot'... but, doesn't really end up there) to DayalChak (~90kms of desolate questionable roads which will take 2.5hrs) - Lakhanpur - Madhopur (10kms short of Pathankot). (27May2011)

We crossed Srinagar's entry point at 12:54hrs and got into Madhopur at 22:45hrs, the distance being ~350kms for the above mentioned sector.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:23   #159
BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 - May/June - Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
We did find out as well, and may end up hiring a Toyota Innova (MUV) additionally (one of the cars is giving trouble). The quote that we got was, I guess, 52K inclusive of vehicle, fuel, driver and toll-taxes.

I am going to do some R&D today... and I shall post back. BTW it would make a lot of sense to go to Jammu and then hire a vehicle from there.
OKie! OKie! The latest update from the Ladakh Taxi Federation... Non-Leh (JK10...) taxiz are not allowed beyond a certain point from Leh towards K-La (Nubra - Panamik), Pangong and Tso Moriri. You will per force need to hire local cabs who's understanding is by the 'Union Rate List'... Common Sense & logic takes a backseat. So, irrespective of anyone who says anything, don't hire a cab from outside Leh to be with you to take you through the valley.

Another thingi... Most Non-Ladakhi operators claim that they know all routes, which means they know the 'straight' route to Leh (from Manali / Srinagar). Most Ladakhi operators claim that they know all routes and that they know the masters of the routes who are these ole guys who seem to have done every route... believe me, 99% of them have not seen the face of Nubra Valley beyond Hunder (Kamel dekhega... tent mein rahega), and beyond the direct route to Pangong & Tso Moriri, these fuys work on hearsay. Ask them to take the Chushul-Tsaga-Nyoma route between Pangong & Tso Moriri, some people may know, but other routes... Nah! Hanle... Some friend's friend's granpa once went there with his donkeys, so, that qualifies one to be well-versed with Hanle.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:38   #160
BHPian

Quote:
MH 03 White Scorpio on this run:

Wave if you are on this route.

31 Aug- Chandigarh- Manali (stay in Manali)
01 Sept- Manali (Stay in Manali)
02 Sept- Manali-Sarchu (stay)
03 Sept- Sarchu-Pang-Tso Kar- Upshi (stay)
04 Sept- Upshi- Leh (stay in Leh)
05 Sept- Leh city- local (Stay in Leh)
06 Sept- Leh- Khardung La- Deskit- Hunder (Stay)
07 Sept- Hunder- Khardung La- Leh (stayin Leh)
08 Sept- Leh- Chang La- Pangong Tso- Tangtse (Stay)
09 Sept- Tangtse- Leh (stay in Leh)
10 Sept- Leh- Alchi- Leh (Stay in Leh)
11 Sept- Leh-Kargil
12 Sept- Kargil- Srinagar
13 Sept- Srinagar-Jammu-Pathankot
14 Sept- Pathankot-Abohar
15Sept- Abohar-Jaisalmer
16Sept- Ahmedabad
17Sept- Mumbai
Can't comment on the HP portion... but my two cents on the rest is as follows.

1. You have acco available at Tso Moriri. I don't know the status at Upshi.

2. On 6th, you can stay put at Hunder, but if driving is the dominant gene, you can go ahead by another 85kms of clean roads and stay over at Turtuk with Attaullah is his camp. Hospitality is excellent; the family remains with you. Enjoy their extremely simple food.

3. On 8th, stay back at the "Martsimik La" camp at Lukung. The 34kms drive back to Dothguling GH at Tangtse can be avoided. More so, the dusk at Pangong should not be missed at any cost.

4. For 10th & 11th, the Leh - Alchi - Leh and Leh - Kargil, can be combined in one day. In fact Saspol, the point at which the road splits for Alchi and Kargil is 60kms from Leh, and enroute you may want to stop at Patthar Sahib Gurudwara and Magnet Hill. Do stop at the tea-stall next to the prayer-wheel (on the right side of the road) at Saspol for tea.

5. Srinagar - Pathankot is doable. See my entry on the route in this thread itself.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:47   #161
BHPian

You answered my question- my advise was because the gent was travelling with wife + 1 year old in tow, so anything goes wrong, then its bad joss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
Just a question... Any specific reason for getting into Jammu?

... (~90kms of desolate questionable roads which will take 2.5hrs)

mentioned sector.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:21   #162
BHPian

Re: Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Hi Guys, I am planning to go to Leh/Ladakh in end of Sep / start of October, how the weather condition will be in that time(will I find snow), and how the road condition from Manali to Leh via Rotang? If I hire a taxi from Manali to Leh how much they may ask for?
I'm not sure about the weather in Sep/Oct so I will leave that to the others, but for travelling from Manali to Leh, I think the better option would be to travel via HPTDC volvos. The road is maintained by the BSF, so it should be fine but the traffic is very heavy.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:27   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I'm not sure about the weather in Sep/Oct so I will leave that to the others, but for travelling from Manali to Leh, I think the better option would be to travel via HPTDC volvos. The road is maintained by the BSF, so it should be fine but the traffic is very heavy.
Searched HPTDC website, called their manali office, there is no Volvo service in that route, last time when I went in 2006, had to come back from rohtang, the road was closed, and I think there is a night halt requied too.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:39   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter

Can we please refrain from giving wrong information to fellow members in case we don't know something ? Manali to Leh on Volvo buses ? Road maintained by BSF ? Heavy traffic ?
Old 31st May 2011, 11:51   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can we please refrain from giving wrong information to fellow members in case we don't know something ? Manali to Leh on Volvo buses ? Road maintained by BSF ? Heavy traffic ?
Ooops Sorry for the misinformation. This was given to me by the tour guide in Manali when i visited last month. Didn't verify the info, so apologies.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed