Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 02:22   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 - May/June - Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
The road opened up last year upto Turtuk which is the last point an Indian civilian can go up north. The road was done up and had no issues as per the report I got from some friends who rode up there last july. However, what I also heard was that this could be done just as an achievement value and that it really didnt have any breathtaking views etc. Also, since its so brand new, there arent any tourist friendly places as well so pls go prepared to rough it out if need be.
Actually I have already seen THOISE and Turtuk pictures in harsh.vardhan's travelogue. But I feel that turbanator is talking about something else.

BTW Turtuk was in Pakistan till 1972 and came into India only after that.
Old 5th May 2011, 18:47   #92
BHPian

Gentlemen and Ladies... start your engines... the Srinagar - Leh route is now open....
Old 5th May 2011, 18:58   #93
BHPian

[quote=droolingvoyager;2334218]Final plan for Leh starting on 4th June from Bangalore and probable return dates are 23 June.

Here is the plan (updates in bold are from rkbharat@ and dheeraj@)

Quote:
June 4th - Day 1 - Bangalore -> Virar (NH4 to Mumbai and NH8 to Virar - 1027 Kms - estimated time 14-15 hrs rotated between 2 drivers )
June 5th - Day 2 - Virar->Jaipur-> (NH8 - 1108 Kms - 15 Hrs)
These sectors are doable as I did the same in 2009 driving alone stopping just after Mumbai and at Jaipur on the second day. However I did take a break on the 3rd day in Delhi.
Old 8th May 2011, 07:11   #94
BHPian

Anyone coming...

We leave on 14th May from Mumbai on 'Expedition Wangdu'. The schedule is as mentioned below...

14: Mumbai to Chittorgarh
15: Chittorgarh to Delhi (100kms this side or that side)
16: Delhi to Jammu
17: Jammu to Sonemarg
18: Sonemarg to Lamayuru
19: Lamayuru to Leh
20: Stay at Leh
21: Leh to Turtuk
22: Turtuk to Leh (Neither the Wari La, nor the Shayok routes are accessible, hence stopping over at Leh before proceeding to Tangtse)
23: Leh to Tangtse (with visit to Pangong Tso)
24: Tangtse to Kurzok (with visit to Tso Moriri)
25: Kurzok to Leh
26: Leh to Kargil
27: Kargil to Srinagar
28: Srinagar to Jammu
29: Jammu to Delhi
30: Delhi to Udaipur
31: Udaipur to Mumbai

One should do this trip. I am doing this with my wife and 5yo monkey... Single driver.

Best Wishes to all this season.

Last edited by Paco : 8th May 2011 at 07:29. Reason: I can see 'formatting commands' have seeped in making it look ugly and unreadable
Old 8th May 2011, 10:00   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
Anyone coming...

We leave on 14th May from Mumbai on 'Expedition Wangdu'. The schedule is as mentioned below...

19: Lamayuru to Leh
20: Stay at Leh
21: Leh to Turtuk
22: Turtuk to Leh (Neither the Wari La, nor the Shayok routes are accessible, hence stopping over at Leh before proceeding to Tangtse)
23: Leh to Tangtse (with visit to Pangong Tso)
24: Tangtse to Kurzok (with visit to Tso Moriri)
25: Kurzok to Leh
26: Leh to Kargil
27: Kargil to Srinagar
28: Srinagar to Jammu
29: Jammu to Delhi
30: Delhi to Udaipur
31: Udaipur to Mumbai

One should do this trip. I am doing this with my wife and 5yo monkey... Single driver.

Best Wishes to all this season.
Dear Paco,

Best of luck for your trip! Hope you have loads of fun!

Just a couple of things that come to mind:
- If you dont have any agenda in delhi, you could bypass it via Rohtak and take a halt at Panipat or Karnal for the night. That way you'll alrealdy be out on the NH1 leaving behind the thought of entering/exiting the Delhi traffic
- Plan for some rest/buffer days since even though you may be okay to drive, your kid or wife may require it
- Right now, it looks like an "I was there" trip with no time for relaxing and enjoying the places. You may want to spend some time and cherish your time at some of the places.
- Since you're reaching Karzok, you may just continue southwards and do the Manali route since you're backtracking quite a bit otherwise. Look at this option if the road opens up by then. (it might open up by late may)

BTW, I liked the fact that you're not stopping at the same places while going and coming!

Drive safe
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 10:30   #96
BHPian

All the very best and Godspeed. Pse update the trip journal enroute if possible.
Old 8th May 2011, 18:05   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Dear Paco,

Best of luck for your trip! Hope you have loads of fun!

Just a couple of things that come to mind:
- If you dont have any agenda in delhi, you could bypass it via Rohtak and take a halt at Panipat or Karnal for the night. That way you'll alrealdy be out on the NH1 leaving behind the thought of entering/exiting the Delhi traffic
- Plan for some rest/buffer days since even though you may be okay to drive, your kid or wife may require it
- Right now, it looks like an "I was there" trip with no time for relaxing and enjoying the places. You may want to spend some time and cherish your time at some of the places.
- Since you're reaching Karzok, you may just continue southwards and do the Manali route since you're backtracking quite a bit otherwise. Look at this option if the road opens up by then. (it might open up by late may)

BTW, I liked the fact that you're not stopping at the same places while going and coming!

Drive safe
The plan is to hit Karnal, and my plan is to do the same, however, the Panipat - Rohtak - Rewari road is supposed to be not in the best of the conditions. Will take a call as I get to Jaipur. It was there as a part of my earlier itinerary. there is clearly no agenda in Delhi. Thanks!

Would like to come back via Manali, and that's why I have kept Tso Moriri at the end, so that if it works out then would take the left from Tso Kar. Would not want to miss the Moreh Plains. For us to take Manali on the way back, the route needs to open up in the next 3-4 days, and thence the initial 'Tatra' traffic would clear in the next 10 days or so.

You've just seeped into my mind, it seems!
Old 8th May 2011, 20:43   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Paco

Given the fact that you will be travelling with Kid you should target Udaipur instead of Chittorgarh , you will find better places to stay and will be a bit less tiring , next day you can easily do Udaipur - Delhi even if you start late after breakfast , On third day you should plan for Patnitop unless you have something specific in Jammu & are you sure you are not staying in Srinagar ? you will definitely be missing this , better stay on houseboat for a night and move to Sonemarg next day , you can easily do Srinagar - Lamayuru or if because of any reasons ( read zozilla pass ) you are late on way you can stay at Kargil , you will Love Dal lake in night but Sonemarg best in day .. I am in Gurgaon if you need any support on way please let me know .
Old 9th May 2011, 11:16   #99
Team-BHP Support

Take out jammu out of your plan, simply bypass Jammu, and stop over at Patnitop area.

Best would be
1. Mumbai - Udaipur
2. Udaipur - Karnal or Kundli (there is a HR tourism heritage resort here)
3. Kundli - Near Patnitop (easily doable)
4. Patnitop - Sonmarg
5. Sonmarg - Kargil
6. Kargil Leh
7. Permits and acclimitization
8. Continue with plan.

If you have MUV or SUV (2WD will do), you can do Tangste - Tso Moriri(Korzok) via chushul. Its easier, and there are no tough passes on the way (Chang La type).
Old 10th May 2011, 00:15   #100
BHPian

A friend is planning to go to Leh through some tour operator. The fella first quoted 65k per person for a motorcycle trip for 8 days. And has now come down to 30K. Apparently, the first rate was for firangs!!!
Then some women also joined the gang and then SUV, van option had to be considered. The travel dude is still sticking to the 30K per person plan. I think he is asking way too much. How much would renting a SUV or motorcycle from Delhi/Chandigarh to Ladakh cost and what are the places from where they can be rented??? Help me out guys??? They are in no hurry. Trip is planned for July
Old 10th May 2011, 01:01   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
A friend is planning to go to Leh through some tour operator. The fella first quoted 65k per person for a motorcycle trip for 8 days. And has now come down to 30K. Apparently, the first rate was for firangs!!!
Then some women also joined the gang and then SUV, van option had to be considered. The travel dude is still sticking to the 30K per person plan. I think he is asking way too much. How much would renting a SUV or motorcycle from Delhi/Chandigarh to Ladakh cost and what are the places from where they can be rented??? Help me out guys??? They are in no hurry. Trip is planned for July
You'll need to give some more details on the trip and cost quoted. Ladakh isnt like hiring a yellow board cab from city A to B, the cabbies usually charge block rates and not per km. The hotels range from 300 to 3000 in different places. So the trip cost will change as per the options chosen by your friend.

If they want to hire a bike, Manali is a good option to do it. There is a direct Volvo service from Delhi which is far more convenient than riding from Delhi to Manali. I think they charge anywhere between 500-1000 bucks per day for a bike depending on the condition of the bike and your negotiation skills. For renting a SUV, you'll need to check options in Delhi itself but there may be very limited ones. I know Avis rents out SUVs for something like 5k/day but I'm not 100% sure on this.

One quick suggestion even before your friend plans the trip. 8 days is too short for a driving trip to Ladakh from Delhi and unless there are 15 days to spare, you'll really not enjoy a riding/driving experience. If the days cant be expanded, a better option is to fly direct to Leh and spend 3-4 days going around to places like Pangong, Nubra etc. They can hire a cab from Leh to Manali on the way back to get the road experience and then the bus to Delhi(takes min 2 days plus 1 day to Delhi).
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 12:04   #102
BHPian

So any idea about someone who rents out bikes in Manali??? They plan to ride from Manali to Ladakh and keep the bikes there, if possible -- hears there are cos which allow that, and fly back to Delhi on the return trip
Old 11th May 2011, 15:57   #103
BHPian

Hi,
Any latest updating on this tour?
Gone? Going?
Old 12th May 2011, 09:31   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Hi Paco

Given the fact that you will be travelling with Kid you should target Udaipur instead of Chittorgarh , you will find better places to stay and will be a bit less tiring , next day you can easily do Udaipur - Delhi even if you start late after breakfast , On third day you should plan for Patnitop unless you have something specific in Jammu & are you sure you are not staying in Srinagar ? you will definitely be missing this , better stay on houseboat for a night and move to Sonemarg next day , you can easily do Srinagar - Lamayuru or if because of any reasons ( read zozilla pass ) you are late on way you can stay at Kargil , you will Love Dal lake in night but Sonemarg best in day .. I am in Gurgaon if you need any support on way please let me know .
Pa'aji, Thanks! You are right... Udaipur would be a better choice. I have to meet some old Army & Police buddies at Jammu. You know how it is like with old friends... meet after 20years and still discuss the same old pranks! I am doing Sonemarg while going and Srinagar while coming. You are right when you say Sonemarg is best in day, and that's exactly what I'll do once I reach Sonemarg that is to say as I would be 80kms ahead of Srinagar the next day, I could then afford to start a little later.
Old 12th May 2011, 09:41   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Take out jammu out of your plan, simply bypass Jammu, and stop over at Patnitop area.

Best would be
1. Mumbai - Udaipur
2. Udaipur - Karnal or Kundli (there is a HR tourism heritage resort here)
3. Kundli - Near Patnitop (easily doable)
4. Patnitop - Sonmarg
5. Sonmarg - Kargil
6. Kargil Leh
7. Permits and acclimitization
8. Continue with plan.

If you have MUV or SUV (2WD will do), you can do Tangste - Tso Moriri(Korzok) via chushul. Its easier, and there are no tough passes on the way (Chang La type).
Chief... I'll have to stop at Jammu as I have to meet up with some ole buddies. Any specific reason for stopping ove at Kargil and not crossing over to Lamayuru... I meant I am planning to stop at Kargil on my way back, and thought of reaching Lamayuru so that I could spend time in seeing the monastery in the morning before proceeding to Leh. I await your inputs for I may have missed out 'the' point.

Warm regards,

Paco
Closed Thread

Most Viewed