Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2011, 21:38   #61
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 - May/June - Trip Planner

Quote:
@amolpol

DAY - 1 DELHI - MANALI 550KMS
DAY - 2 MANALI - SARACHU 230 KMS (I'm assuming you're okay with this)
DAY - 3 SARACHU-Tso moriri (via Moreh plains and Tso Kar)
DAY - 4 Tso Moriri - Leh
DAY - 5 Rest day @ Leh (you'll need it! You can do monasteries around Leh)
DAY - 6 Leh - PANGONG LAKE 170 KMS
DAY - 7 PANGONG - LEH 170 KMS
DAY - 8 Leh - Nubra
DAY - 9 Nubra - Leh
DAY - 10 LEH - KARGIL 230 KMS
DAY - 12 KARGIL - SRINAGAR 200 kms
DAY - 12 SRINAGAR
DAY - 13 AMRITSAR/CHANDIGARH
DAY - 14 DELHI
This is the way i want to do it but as told by UniqueMods, there is no pumps after keylong and leh. Dont you think Day - 3 & 4 will be 450+ kms itself.

My concern is re-fulling. I can manage permits at Sarachu.
Old 28th March 2011, 23:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
This is the way i want to do it but as told by UniqueMods, there is no pumps after keylong and leh. Dont you think Day - 3 & 4 will be 450+ kms itself.

When you are travelling in Hills, it is always recommended to carry fuel in Jerrycan. Specially so on Manali - Leh route which sometimes is unpredictable.
Old 29th March 2011, 04:08   #63
BHPian

Quote:

v&v, I'm guessing you're planning the trip in the Safari. You will easily need to carry 30-40 odd liters of fuel for the extra kms. The hills are not very forgiving and its better to carry a bit extra than to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. On my way back last year, I did Leh-Hanle-Tso Moriri-Tso Kar-Sarchu-Tandi with no petrol pump on the way. I remember strapping on 30 liters of petrol on the bike in addition to the full tank of gas that I started with. Its painful, but its worth it!

Trick is that you keep emptying the cans as you keep going ahead, dont wait for your tank to go empty before you fuel up.

I'm assuming you have some setting for arranging the permits in Sarchu. I believe the permits are only issued at the DC office in Leh, the army guys wont be able to help you with the permits AFAIK.

I wish I could do the trip again this year but my daughter is too small to go through all the suffering. May be next year once she's 2, she'll be ready to brave the mountains!
Old 25th April 2011, 12:47   #64
BHPian

Hi

has your plan firmed up?

Quote:
Hi all
I am starting this thread for my family trip next year Leh.
Trip preparation, Route planning etc. Planning to have a 20-25 day trip.

A lot of Bhpians are planning for a Leh visit next year. Already Me, SST, MileCruncher ,sumannandy,harjeev are on.

Lets make a Team-BHP Convoy the above period with or without families are welcome to chip in plans and suggestions.

Will be updating this post soon.

v&v
Old 25th April 2011, 13:01   #65
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Hi

has your plan firmed up?
As of now it ON. 2nd week of June, It will depend on Rohtang stretch opens by that time otherwise via Srinagar.
Old 25th April 2011, 15:31   #66
BHPian

This is my plan the starting and end dates remain fixed, in between plans can alter to meet with someone joining me:

Bangalore to Srinagar
28th May - Morning Start (3.00AM) Bangalore->Pune->Ahmednagar (960 Kms)
29th May - Shani Mandir Darshan - Shirdi Sai Baba Darshan. By Early evening drive to Vadodara. (466 Km) - Shirdi, Maharashtra to Vadodara, Gujarat - Google Maps
30th May - Vadodara -> Delhi (971 Kms)

================================================== =====
| After this is a straight lift from H V Kumars Routine |
31st May - New Delhi -> Srinagar (857 Kms)
1st Jun - Srinagar -> Kargil
2nd Jun - Kargil -> Padun
3rd Jun - Padum -> kargil
4th Jun - Kargil -> Leh
5th Jun - Leh
6th Jun - Leh -> Khardungla -> Nubra Valley
7th Jun - Nubra Valley -> Khardungla -> Leh
8th Jun - Leh -> Pangong Lake -> Leh
9th Jun - Leh
10th Jun - Leh -> Tso Morri lake
11th Jun - Tso Morri Lake -> Keylong
12th Jun -> Keylong -> manali
13th Jun -> Manali -> Chandigarh
14th Jun -> Chandigarh -> Udaipur
15th Jun -> Udaipur -> Pune
16th Jun -> Pune -> bangalore

So far me and my non driving friend have signed up, on my ritz Vdi. I am eagerly on a lookout for a like minded friend who can drive. I am not sure how you gonna contact me, sine PM is not allowed, I am a newbie still.

my Yahoo messenger ID is saneax - please quote teambhp on the ym chat to let me know its not a spam
Old 25th April 2011, 16:34   #67
BHPian

Its just in planning for 2 years now, and have not been able to do this. Now I have decided on dates - starting on 28th May. I will be making the go on my Ritz Vdi. Preparations have already started.

I have a non driving philosophical friend from Kolkata as of now. However, I need one more driver, I am earnestly searching for one. Any Like minded guys who want to drive with me, please contact me.

This is my plan for now:
Bangalore to Srinagar
28th May - Morning Start (3.00AM) Bangalore->Pune->Ahmednagar (960 Kms)
29th May - Shani Mandir Darshan - Shirdi Sai Baba Darshan. By Early evening drive to Vadodara. (466 Km) - Shirdi, Maharashtra to Vadodara, Gujarat - Google Maps
30th May - Vadodara -> Delhi (971 Kms)

| After this is a straight lift from H V Kumars Routine |
31st May - New Delhi -> Srinagar (857 Kms)
1st Jun - Srinagar -> Kargil
2nd Jun - Kargil -> Padum
3rd Jun - Padum -> kargil
4th Jun - Kargil -> Leh
5th Jun - Leh
6th Jun - Leh -> Khardungla -> Nubra Valley
7th Jun - Nubra Valley -> Khardungla -> Leh
8th Jun - Leh -> Pangong Lake -> Leh
9th Jun - Leh
10th Jun - Leh -> Tso Morri lake
11th Jun - Tso Morri Lake -> Keylong
12th Jun -> Keylong -> manali
13th Jun -> Manali -> Chandigarh
14th Jun -> Chandigarh -> Udaipur
15th Jun -> Udaipur -> Pune
16th Jun -> Pune -> bangalore

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 28th April 2011, 08:44   #68
BHPian

Gents

2011 May d' Leh is the plan,

however, everyone I check discourages travelling by road from Pune with family including 2 small kids (just my family, with me and me the only driver. for driving exposure I have been there and done that, so worries on that)

as of now we are mixed and stressed up between using our own vehicle or take a package

with package it would be no stress and relaxed fun, but will have limitation

with self drive, we will be able to additionally cover Ahmedabad, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Amritsar, Srinagar, Leh and Vaishodevi etc. which otherwise is not possible

i intend to start on 8/may afternoon from Pune, i am tied on dates as we are limited on the school and office leaves

my motto would be to be in no hurry and take it easy, and try to visit all possible cities enroute

if there are any other families from the western India region on the same route.destination then that would really be very very simple and we could form a kind'a convoy and will add to fun too

our ride will be an Innova
Old 28th April 2011, 11:12   #69
BHPian

Anupam,

I have similar plans in mind. I will be starting from Cochin in first week of May. Similar package: two kids, wifey and me. Confirmed upto Rajastan, depending upon condition will decide to go further. Glad to know that somebody is taking the similar route at the same time. Will be watching for your posts.

Anuj
Old 28th April 2011, 11:14   #70
Team-BHP Support

You have a reliable ride and you have experience driving long distance. I suggest you do a self drive to Leh.
However, the date you have chosen is a little problematic.
8th may means you will have to go via Srinagar Leh highway.

Its still not open, and was supposed to open first week of may. But its still snowing up there, and highway opening may be delayed.

That said, just after the highway opens, its usually in a very bad shape. Esp Zoji La.
I think you are timing it with your kids summer vacations or something? In that case I suggest it will be great if you delay it to 20th may or something.

If highway does not open your plan will go for a toss.

If you cannot alter your dates, then I suggest you take a flight to Leh, and take a cab there.
For such large number of people package deal will work out to be very expensive.

I suggest you book an A-grade hotel on your own(1000-1200/night/room), and then shop around in the market for an innova qualis. Bargain hard, and you will get a good package deal.

You can visit Nubra/Pangong/Tso moriri with extra days you have at hand now, and spend more time there.

However, if you must drive yourself(which I recommend) do this trip end August/early september. If thats not possible postpone it to 20th May or something beyond that.
Old 1st May 2011, 19:16   #71
Senior - BHPian

Juley! This Aug / September

Its confirmed now on my part. I'm headed to Ladakh again this year. Most likely will hitch on to HVK's entourage. Dates are still fluid but will be late August / Early September not before that.
Old 1st May 2011, 20:07   #72
BHPian

Final plan for Leh starting on 4th June from Bangalore and probable return dates are 23 June.

Here is the plan (updates in bold are from rkbharat@ and dheeraj@)

June 4th - Day 1 - Bangalore -> Virar (NH4 to Mumbai and NH8 to Virar - 1027 Kms - estimated time 14-15 hrs rotated between 2 drivers )
June 5th - Day 2 - Virar->Jaipur-> (NH8 - 1108 Kms - 15 Hrs)
June 6th - Day 3 - Jaipur->Kud/Patnitop (it will be tough drive) by pass Jammu at Chak Dayala or Samba, will save you around 1 hour
June 7th - Day 4 - Kud/Patnitop - Srinagar, Stay near Dal Lake, on Bulevourd Road, good location, and that is the road you will take for the onward journey, and it comparativeky safe too. Also you will reach Dal by 1:00 Pm if you start early around 5:00 Am, so you can think of going upto Sonmarg. That will put you in very good position for next day. And its much more safer. So choose between view of Dal or view of Sonmarg. I would go for Sonmarg :P
June 8th - Day 5 - Sonmarg - kargil, even try to reach Sanko if PWD GH is functional there, Kargil is dumping ground of Kashmir, sadly pretty messed up place, Kargil have a MASS, if required and Petrol pump
June 9th - Day 6 - Kargil - Rangdum relaxed drive
June 10th - Day 7 - Rangdum - Padum relaxed drive
June 11th - Day 8 - Padum - Lamayuru relaxed drive
June 12th - Day 9 - Lamayuru to Leh
June 13th - Day 10 - Move around Leh Palace/Shanti Stupa/Thiksey/Shey/Hemis/Hall of Fame and Permits
June 14th - Day 11 - Leh - Khardungla - Leh, if you start early, you can come back by 3-4 Pm. And if required get the car checked at Druk MASS,
June 15th - Day 12 - Leh -> Pongong Lake -> Tangste, stay at Tanste, you will not have to rush back to Leh and can spend more time at Lake
June 16th - Day 13 - Tangste - Upshi(Petrol) - Mahe - Karzok(Tso Moriri), you will have to keep deisel in Cans as well, From Tso Morir till Tandi
June 17th - Day 14 - Tso Morri Lake -> Sarchu
June 18th - Day 15 - Sarchu Manali
June 19th - Day 16 - Manali -> Chandigarh
June 20th - Day 17 - Chandigarh -> Udaipur
June 21st - Day 18 - Udaipur -> Pune
June 22nd - Day 19 - Pune -> Bangalore
June 23rd - Day 20 - One back up day , in case of any twist

I have these questions before the forum, I will be driving my ritz diesel for the trip. Will a tyre upsize help me? If yes, please suggest the highest profile I can go to, not compromising high speed stability.

I zeroed in on 205/65 R15 - thats the max suggested by Autoshop in Bangalore.

Folks, if anyone interested during the same times, it will be great to gang out.

Thanks in advance, (apologies for earlier double post, happened because I could not see my post. It was in moderation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Its confirmed now on my part. I'm headed to Ladakh again this year. Most likely will hitch on to HVK's entourage. Dates are still fluid but will be late August / Early September not before that.
I was just wondering, are you on your thar for the trip? if yes, could you please share the mods you did.

I took a test ride, however the uncomfortable seat and the steering feedback was not quite there yet. I wouldnt be able to drive this for 1000 Kms at a stretch, if I ever needed to do so.

Mods, sorry for this offtopic, since there is no PM available, I am not sure how to contact the folks with off topic like this.

Last edited by Amartya : 1st May 2011 at 21:21. Reason: Merged the back-to-back posts. Thanks.
Old 1st May 2011, 23:13   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post
I was just wondering, are you on your thar for the trip? if yes, could you please share the mods you did.
what gave you the idea that I have a THAR?
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:23   #74
BHPian

Quote:
what gave you the idea that I have a THAR?
well, you are planning to I guess, sorry I went ahead and thought you already had

Quote:
I'm hoping I'll have the THAR with HT and AC by then. Most probably will be driving alone as wifey is not interested for an encore.
Old 2nd May 2011, 01:15   #75
BHPian

Re: End june, early july leh-zanskar in TATA Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Same here. Bangalore is too far and I do not want to drive such long distances. But I am looking at other alternatives to go during June or July.
I am starting on June 4th, anyone welcome to gangup. We are 2 and we will be riding our ritz car for the trip.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed