Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:36   #106
BHPian

Re: Around Jog

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
Thanks Venu for the update. I'll surely try this stretch the next time I go there. Because right now I am back already from a trip to Bhatkal/Shirali.
While going I went via Blr-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Halady-Kundapur-Bhatkal. While coming I came via Bhatkal-Honnavar-Bangalore. The stretch from Murdeshwar to Honnavar is unbelievably pathetic.
If the Kargal road is actually good as you suggested, it will save a lot of time than going all the way via Honnavar.

I have one more query regarding this route. Where exactly on NH206 do you turn left after Sagar to get on to this Kargal road?
Floyd,

As Addy mentioned, there is a turning to the left before Jog falls, but this is easy to miss. You can continue upto Jog, turn left to Jog, and continue(same road) to Kargal and Bhatkal. This road upto Kargal is smooth.

I should actually thank the reports of the bad state of Honnavar-Murudeshwar road, for motivating me to take this road, but am glad for it. Even Bhatkal Kundapur stretch is in very bad shape !

Venu
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:26   #107
BHPian

How is Jog right now? has anyone been there recently?
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:40   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
How is Jog right now? has anyone been there recently?
Jog falls wont have too much water, if you find any it will only be a trickle due to poor rains this monsoon

A friend who visited Jog during the 2nd week of November told me this is the current state.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 23:40   #109
BHPian

How is the road condition of SH50 from Kargal to Bhatkal via Nagavalli ?

I plan to drive to Murudeshwar from Bangalore via Sagar - Kargal - Bhatkal.

Pls suggest.
Old 24th December 2013, 13:12   #110
BHPian

Any COCO pumps on the way to Karwar/ Shimoga. I am travelling this weekend and would like to fill up diesel at proven places
Old 14th August 2014, 08:57   #111
Senior - BHPian

Anbody did the SH50 road recently from Jog falls to Bhatkal ? How are the roads ?
Old 14th August 2014, 09:02   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Anbody did the SH50 road recently from Jog falls to Bhatkal ? How are the roads ?
You mean the beautiful route via Kargal!

Conditions: I am aware off. But many state buses take that route. Only suggestion: dont do thats stretch at night. Its quite desolate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Thanks ampere. Sure, I'll not do it in the night. Not sure if you mean, conditions you are not aware off, or they're ok.
I meant I dont know the latest conditions. But a friend who is from Udupi says State Transport buses ply on this route regularly. So at least I can surmise, the road will not totally desolate during day time.

Last edited by ampere : 14th August 2014 at 09:11.
Old 14th August 2014, 09:06   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You mean the beautiful route via Kargal!

Conditions: I am aware off. But many state buses take that route. Only suggestion: dont do thats stretch at night. Its quite desolate.
Thanks ampere. Sure, I'll not do it in the night.

Not sure if you mean, conditions you are not aware off, or they're ok.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 14th August 2014 at 09:34.
Old 19th December 2016, 18:04   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Bumping up an old thread. I might have 2-3 days to spare next week and thinking about heading out to Jog and covering a few places around. Places of interest that I plan to cover:
1. Bandalike & Balligavi temples
2. Sakrebailu camp
3. Ikkeri Aghoreshwara temple
4. Amruthapura, Hirenallur & other Hoysala temples around Kadur & CR patna

Route plan: Yeshwantpur - Harihar - SH50 - Siralkoppa - Jog - Sagar - Shimoga - Kadur - Arsikere - Yeshwantpur

Looking for homestay/hotel recommendations around Sagar.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 18:25   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Bumping up an old thread. I might have 2-3 days to spare next week and thinking about heading out to Jog and covering a few places around.

There's a place named Varadalli enroute Jog after Sagara( in between Sagara and JOG). A serene place of religious interest. The temple (Ashram) surrounding is very picturesque. More details here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varadapura.
Do visit if feasible. Should not take more than 3 hours of the schedule. The Ashram provides Lunch as well.
One more point of interest is Sigandhuru. Again, a very picturesque place. There's a launch which takes you across Sharavathi backwaters to the other side, where there's another temple. We can take our vehicles also in the launch across the river.

Just before you enter Sagara ( here, i mean when you enter Sagara from Shimogga), on your right, there's one good restaurant which offers Lodging as well. I am not able to recollect the name. There are few other "economy" lodges inside Sagara, close the the Police station.

Happy tripping.

Last edited by autospeaker : 19th December 2016 at 18:28.
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 18:26   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Route plan: Yeshwantpur - Harihar - SH50 - Siralkoppa - Jog - Sagar - Shimoga - Kadur - Arsikere - Yeshwantpur

Unless someone knows any specific homestay/resort around Sagar (I don't), my recommendation would be Hotel Royal Orchid Central in Shimoga. I stayed there during my monsoon drive and it was pretty good especially for the price. And from there to Sagar is a good fast road, so you won't lose much time too.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 18:44   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bumping up an old thread. I might have 2-3 days to spare next week and think

There are 2 places in Sagara.

1. Green Embassy Hotel. This is a relatively new one, have read good feedback from a couple of folks here in the forum: Located right inside the town Green Embassy

2. TipTop Residency: On the right just before you enter Sagara town when coming from Shimoga. I stayed here in august (Did not know about Green Embassy). The rooms were good and neat, rates were cheap. Restaurant services were a bit weird though. Only a non veg restaurant was operational and there was one guy who seemed the main chef, order taker and server. Food was decent. Tip Top Residency

Apart from this, Royal Orchid in Shimoga is good and there are several Home Stays in the Thirthahalli area. But if your focus is Jog, these may be a little too far to stay.

On a side note. Not sure if now is a good time to visit Jog. The flow was average when I visited in August and I don't think it has rained much after that.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 18:54   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
One more point of interest is Sigandhuru. Again, a very picturesque place
Thanks autospeaker. Definitely going to Sigandhuru and might try and cover the ashram if I find time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Hotel Royal Orchid Central in Shimoga
Thanks doc but want to stay closer to Sagara as I have quiet a few places around there that I want to go to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Green Embassy Hotel
Did check them out online and the reviews were good and they do have rooms available.Plus they have space for car parking Might just go ahead and risk it for 1 night.
Quote:
Not sure if now is a good time to visit Jog. The flow was average when I visited in August and I don't think it has rained much after that.
Jog is just an added bonus. Focus is to explore hoysala and other temples around this area and spend some time with the elephants at sakrebyle

Last edited by procrj : 19th December 2016 at 18:57.
Old 19th December 2016, 18:59   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Did check them out online and the reviews were good and they do have rooms available. Might just go ahead and risk it for 1 night.
around this area and spend some time with the elephants at sakrebyle
Should be good. Recall that it looked pretty good from outside when I passed by. In fact looked quite out of place in a small town like Sagara.

The elephant camp closes by 11am. (Assume you may already know this. I missed this fact and landed there post lunch.)
Old 20th December 2016, 14:40   #120
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bumping up an old thread. I might have 2-3 days to spare next week and thinking about heading out to Jog and covering a few places around.
Since you have Sakrebylu in your list of places to visit, do include the Gajanur dam as well, both are located very close to each other.
And if you're interested and have the time, the Lion and Tiger Safari at Tyavarekoppa (similar to Bannerghatta park safari and closes by 1pm). This is on the highway between Shimoga and Sagar.

Last edited by NPV : 20th December 2016 at 14:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks