Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:00   #1
BHPian

Around Jog

Say, what do you do if you're forbidden from driving solo these days and people are not willing to get their seats out of the home. Take the bus!

But I reasonably like KSRTC buses service and I'm heading Jog-wards. Date not finalized, but one of the Fridays next week or the next ( mostly the weekend of Dec 4 ). Taking the bus heading to Linganamakki and getting down at Jog Sat morning. Taking the bus back to Bangalore Saturday night.

The bus reaches Jog around 6 AM. Intend spending around 3 hours there. And then, I have time till about 6 PM. What are some of the options I can explore ( keep in mind I'm traveling alone ).

1. I've driven through Sharavathy valley and Linganamakki before ( SH 55 ), but have never tried the Safari there. Worth it ? Who should I contact ?

2. Gudavi. How do I get by there? Buses frequent enough ? I don't have bazookas to fit on my DSLR. This is one place that I'd like to visit for photography, but I don't have the right lense for bird photography.

3. Any other little known places ( safe for a single traveler )

Alternatively I'm OK taking the bus back from Gokarna that night so Gokarna could be an option, but I don't like that place that much really.

Last edited by airguitar : 23rd November 2010 at 16:12.
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

Good you have asked my own question! Even I wanted to make a holiday around Jog. What are good places to stay?
Any resorts/hotels around other than the ones at Sagar? Also any permits needed to visit the dam?
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:57   #3
BHPian

@airguitar : You could always stay at Kumta ! I'm just saying...

I guess Jog to Kumta is roughly 3 hour journey (down the ghat)
Hotel Panduranga is a good place to stay.

Kumta is near to Gokarna,Murdeshwar,Yaana (no frequent buses I guess),Idagunji, kumta beach,dhareshwar beach ..to name a few.

Also there are host of night buses from kumta to B,lore.
Sleepers,semi-sleepers,volvos ..you name it (you might have to book in advance though)
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

@airguitar

places around Jog are

towards Bangalore
-----------------------
Honnemaradu
Keladi & Ikkeri (near Sagar town)
Lion/Tiger Safari (some 6 KM from Shimoga)
Sakrebailu Elephant Camp (some 10-20KM from Shimoga on Thirhhalli road)
Gajanur Dam (on way to sakrebailu elephant camp)
Tunga-bhadra sangam
Kemmannugundi
Sanskrit Village (outskirts of Shimoga)
There is some old palace, second largest church in the ASIA in Shimoga itself

Towards North-West of Jog
---------------------------
Chandragutti Temple
Banavasi
Gudavi bird santury
Sirsi Marikamba Temple
Yana
Mirjan fort (between Kumta & Ankola)
Gokarna beach + temple
Sanekatta Salt pans + Tadadi (mini) port

Last edited by StarVegabond : 23rd November 2010 at 20:19.
StarVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can definitely go to Gudavi which is a good place for birding. Catch a bus to Soraba and from there you can reach Gudavi. After spending sometime, you can either return to bangalore or move towards Shikaripura to see beautiful Bellagavi temple. Stay back and return next day. Alternately, you can always go to Gokarna and reacah before sun set to enjoy the beautiful sun set.

You can stay in a new homestay named "Muthuga" (google for details) which is very close to Jog.

If you want to explore Malnad region of Shimoga, the best base is Tirthahalli which is centrally located, has many stay options - good homestays - and all the places are closeby - within 50-60 KMs.

Pls take a look at my post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-monsoons.html
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:59   #6
BHPian

Thank you guys, lots of ideas you've given. Have done many of the below before, a few times. Tyavarekoppa, Sakrebyle, gajanur, koodali, mattur, gokarna and kumta and pretty much all the places around Thirthahalli as well.

@Fauji what's the travel time to Soraba / Gudavi from Jog on a bus ?
@Nimbleguru : Panduranga Int is a favourite. On my last trip where I'd to drive ~700 kms on that stretch, despite that, I stopped over for 1.5 hours there.

That leaves the below

gudavi, honnemaradu and banavasi. I'm still looking out for more info on Sharavathy Valley Safari - I'm keen to give it a shot - anyone done this? Honnemaradu and Banavasi are good bets too - but are there buses ? I'm OK with a taxi too from Jog ( it I can get ).

Havent' heard of Sanekatta.

Yana, Sirsi and Yellapur is the plan for the final trip of the year in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
@airguitar

places around Jog are

towards Bangalore
-----------------------
Honnemaradu
Keladi & Ikkeri (near Sagar town)
Lion/Tiger Safari (some 6 KM from Shimoga)
Sakrebailu Elephant Camp (some 10-20KM from Shimoga on Thirhhalli road)
Gajanur Dam (on way to sakrebailu elephant camp)
Tunga-bhadra sangam
Kemmannugundi
Sanskrit Village (outskirts of Shimoga)
There is some old palace, second largest church in the ASIA in Shimoga itself

Towards North-West of Jog
---------------------------
Chandragutti Temple
Banavasi
Gudavi bird santury
Sirsi Marikamba Temple
Yana
Mirjan fort (between Kumta & Ankola)
Gokarna beach + temple
Sanekatta Salt pans + Tadadi (mini) port

Last edited by airguitar : 23rd November 2010 at 23:10.
Old 24th November 2010, 13:31   #7
Team-BHP Support

What are the good places to stay around Jog?
Any suggestions?
Old 24th November 2010, 14:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What are the good places to stay around Jog?
Any suggestions?
Where ever you are planning to stay, don't go for Kamat Executive Inn at Honavar. I have a very bad experience with them.

Since they don't have an online booking or collaboration with online booking portals, I had booked their hotel by phone for 1st Nov 2009. The lady who took the booking wrote it in their diary as 1st Dec 2009.
And when we (I and my wife) turned up at night, in the midst of heavy rains, there were no bloody rooms available. The hotel manager simply said sorry there was a mistake!!! He said he couldn't do anything about it. That was a real shocker. It was heavily raining, not many alternatives in that area and it was about 10pm.

Finally he suggested some small old lodge nearby (remember "decent hotel" in Jab we met?). We could get a room there and fortunately nothing went wrong after that, but that was a long long night.

The hotel manager in Kamat was kind of rude and unprofessional. Won't recommend this place at all.
Old 24th November 2010, 23:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

The travel time to Gudavi will be atleast one and half to two hours. It is around 45 KMs from Sagar via Soraba.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

For Jog best option is sagara or homestay near Jog. Spend time visiting sharavati/linganamakki back water like sigandoor, hosanagara, hasiru makki also even Kodachadri. You can also plan few temples near sagara. But to cover all these you need 2 full days.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 25th November 2010, 16:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Pics -1

I have attached some pics from my album of the places around Shimoga - Joga. Most of the places have been mentioned by Starvegabond & Ravibhatt
@star - The Sanskrit speaking place is MATTUR, I don't have a pic of it. It's definetely a place to vist, one feels Nostalgic abt this place. Not to forget the Thunga River bank here.

Some pics of the places around Joga n Shimoga.
Jog Falls
Around Jog-img_0404.jpg

Hasiru Makki Between Joga & Gerusoppa
Around Jog-img_0819.jpg
Around Jog-img_0828.jpg

After Sagara, Towards Sigandhoor @ Kalasavally
Around Jog-dscn3609.jpg

At Ninasam, Near Honnemaradu - Sharavathy Backwaters
Around Jog-img_3053.jpg
Around Jog-img_3028.jpg

Ikkeri - After Sagara
Around Jog-img_0485.jpg
Old 25th November 2010, 16:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Pics - 2

Places aroung Joga - Shimoga

Thunga Dam @ Gajanur
Around Jog-img_2337.jpg

Shivappa Naika Kote @ Shimoga
Around Jog-img_2310.jpg
Around Jog-img_2312.jpg

Sakrebailu - Elephant camp
Around Jog-dsc008501.jpg
Around Jog-dsc008491.jpg

River Tern - Bhadra Dam - Lakkavalli
Around Jog-dsc008361.jpg

Last edited by sushrutha : 25th November 2010 at 16:24.
Old 25th November 2010, 20:04   #13
BHPian

Thank you guys. I think I have zeroed in on Sigandoor or Honnemaradu based on what the travel mode would be.

How do I get to Honnemaradu from Jog ? Are cabs / taxis available ?

Else I'll stick to Sigandooru : it'd be exhilarating to take the barge from Sagara. I'll do Gudavi after I get my 70-300.

I really want to do a safari ( with permissions from FD of course ) around the forests near Kargal. Unfortunately I'm not able to figure out who to contact and I may be running out of time to plan this :( . I don't even know if a jeep safari is offered, but I know trekking trails exist. Please let me know if anyone's aware.

Someone kick me : I was going to do all of Karnataka in 6 months. I've probably done < 15% despite a whopping 17000 kms in that period.

Last edited by airguitar : 25th November 2010 at 20:16.
Old 26th November 2010, 10:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
How do I get to Honnemaradu from Jog ? Are cabs / taxis available ?

Else I'll stick to Sigandooru : it'd be exhilarating to take the barge from Sagara. I'll do Gudavi after I get my 70-300.
If you don't have your own personal vehicle , then I would suggest Skip Honnemaradu. It's very much interior and the roads are not that great either. It's hard to find a cab/taxi to that place from Sagara.
Instead I would suggest you to go to Sigandhoor.
Take the Barge @ Kalasavally. You'll certainly enjoy it... Heck it's just 1 Re Ticket for a person from one end to other :-)
Old 26th November 2010, 23:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
If you don't have your own personal vehicle , then I would suggest Skip Honnemaradu. It's very much interior and the roads are not that great either. It's hard to find a cab/taxi to that place from Sagara.
Instead I would suggest you to go to Sigandhoor.
Take the Barge @ Kalasavally. You'll certainly enjoy it... Heck it's just 1 Re Ticket for a person from one end to other :-)
You can also cover Kollur from Sigandur. The last time I was at Sigandur was during the annual jatre (fair) of the temple.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks