Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2023, 16:33   #1321
BHPian

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

What's the best route to go to Somnathpur from Bangalore (Yeshwantpur)? Google Maps is showing two options, one via Kunigal-Maddur etc. and second, via Kanakapura. The new expressway is not part of the list, but displays on the map with construction icons throughout.

Basically, I am looking to do a daytrip this Saturday and plan to leave by 6-7am. The plan is to return by evening.

Any pointers from folks who have recently traveled? Appreciate recommendations for good food stops on the way. I read on the expressway thread that service road markings not present everywhere, stops need to be planned in advance.

Thanks!
Old 5th January 2023, 18:36   #1322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
Basically, I am looking to do a daytrip this Saturday and plan to leave by 6-7am. The plan is to return by evening.
Start Early, Take the Mysore Road.

Maddur-Malavalli-Bannur-Somnathpur is the best option.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 08:16   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
What's the best route to go to Somnathpur from Bangalore (Yeshwantpur)?
Any pointers from folks who have recently traveled? Appreciate recommendations for good food stops on the way.
Thanks!
I drove to Mysuru last week on the Malavalli-Bannur route, road condition is average from Maddur to Somnathapura. Breakfast has to be planned before crossing Maddur, there are no good hotels after Maddur.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 19:53   #1324
BHPian

Apparently autos and two wheelers will be banned from using the expressway:

https://twitter.com/IndexKarnataka/s...TBHVidWKzCvfig
Old 30th January 2023, 16:02   #1325
BHPian

Drove BLR-MYS on 26th and back on 28th.
All bypasses were operational and I reached Mysore without realizing that Srirangapatna and Mandya were bypassed.
Google maps showed Mandya bypass as closed. Maps went berserk when I got onto the bypass.

The onward was chaos with long-weekend traffic! Enjoyed some sights of cars beached on dividers. When folks approached the deviation from the expressway (due to sections being under construction), many including KSRTC busses and trucks would turn around and drive back - no idea why! At some points there were face-to-face traffic jams with folks who turned back and no one could go anywhere. It was hilarious to say the least and I laughed my lungs out. Picture this : empty expressway -> a row of stationary vehicles facing MYS -> a row of stationary vehicles facing BLR -> empty expressway.

The return was a pleasant surprise. Covered Manipal/Columbia asia junction to NICE road entry in 1Hr 35Mins since some sections had 100Kmph speed limit and all bypasses were open.
NICE road between MYS road entry and Kanakpura exit was terrible. Due to roadworks both direction traffic flow was restricted to 3.5 lanes. It was a slow 1st-2nd gear crawl and the worst part of my journey by far.

One thing I would like to call out is while the expressway is beautiful, having driven on it 3 times now, I find it extremely boring.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 30th January 2023 at 16:05.
Old 17th March 2023, 11:09   #1326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
So I had ridden to Ooty on the new "partially" opened Bangalore - Mysore expressway on the Dussehra weekend.

Here are some things I noticed:

For the amount of expenditure the project boasts, the road quality is not so "world-class", I could find lots of undulations on the highway, not only at the entry/exit of flyovers but also on straight roads. Long-term reliability when completely open is a question mark.

In the typical "Bengaluru" style, the flyover joints are not smooth.

Entry/Exit on those railway bridges could have been smoother, it's at an awkward angle, Volvos/Cars carrying high speed will need to be cautious over these bridges. To add to the mix, some engineers have thought adding smooth tar over these bridges would be a good idea.
Well, I said so.

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-20230315_111620.jpg
FURY_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 15:29   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
For the amount of expenditure the project boasts, the road quality is not so "world-class",
True that. To handle current traffic, at least 8 lanes are needed and to be future-proof 10 lanes - all along, not just in some stretches. Considering that this is one of the busiest highways in the country.
Since many towns are bypassed, they have to build proper exists to these towns with toll booths.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks