Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2013, 09:51   #271
BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Hi all,

Yesterday i had visited nimishamba temple, Small temple on hill section near nimishamba temple after crossing kaveri river and visited somanathapura.
Had taken Nice road-bidadi-ramanagara-mandya-srirangapatna road towards nimishamba temple.
OMG. It is pain to drive to SH...lotz of traffic, plenty of humps almost every 5 kms.I got really tried slowing down every often, So i pledged not to take SH in future.
There is small ghat section road after crossing kaveri river at nimishamba temple with around 8 Hair-pins with steep ghat road; which gives superb view of kaveri river meandering its way through plains below. There is temple with Sri-Venkateshwara on the top of the hill.

Afterwards we proceeded towards somanathapura temple complex and returned via Bannur, Malavalli, Kanakapura road. The road is simple awesome with superb tarmac to hug your car like fevistick, also very few humps and less traffic.
navrddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 19:22   #272
BHPian

Thanks for the latest update. Planning to take this route instead of SH. But while coming from Kalpetta, should I take:
Kalpetta > Gundulupet > Nanjangud > Narasipura > Malavalli > Kanakapura
OR
Kalpetta > Gundulupet > Chamrajnagara > Kollegal >> Malavalli > Kanakapura

Google map shows the first route, which is a little shorter. But which of the above route has better roads, less traffic...? We will be starting from kalpetta around 12PM.
Old 26th December 2013, 08:33   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Thanks for the latest update. Planning to take this route instead of SH. But while coming from Kalpetta, should I take:
OR

Google map shows the first route, which is a little shorter. But which of the above route has better roads, less traffic...? We will be starting from kalpetta around 12PM.
The 2nd option mentioned is the route to take. There are some rough patches in the gundlepet chamrajnagar stretch. But nothing to be concerned about. Rest of the stretch is butter smooth with minimal traffic. Please note that unlike the Mysore route, you will not have good stopping options on this route. Nagarjuna residency in chamrajnagar is the best option. Gundlepet to nice road junction on kanakpura road typically takes 3.5 hrs.

Note: you can find turn by turn info on the route through the towns on this stretch in the Bangalore Mysore ooty or the Bangalore calicut thread. Although the route is well marked now, these instructions can be help full.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 26th December 2013 at 08:38.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 09:37   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
OR
2nd option it is. Stretch from Gundlupet to Chamrajnagara has the odd pothole and some uneven surfaces, other than that it is a nice drive.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 22:06   #275
BHPian

Thanks for the responses. We took the second route and it was a very good drive. Except for Gundlupet > Chamrajnagara stretch (about 30Km), the roads are very very good all the way till NICE road jn.

But with no dividers in the whole stretch, night driving is a little tricky. So for all day trips, will take this route instead of SH.
Old 29th December 2013, 23:35   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
Hi all,

Yesterday i had visited nimishamba temple, Small temple on hill section near nimishamba temple after crossing kaveri river and visited somanathapura.
Had taken Nice road-bidadi-ramanagara-mandya-srirangapatna road towards nimishamba temple.
OMG. It is pain to drive to SH...lotz of traffic, plenty of humps almost every 5 kms.I got really tried slowing down every often, So i pledged not to take SH in future.
There is small ghat section road after crossing kaveri river at nimishamba temple with around 8 Hair-pins with steep ghat road; which gives superb view of kaveri river meandering its way through plains below. There is temple with Sri-Venkateshwara on the top of the hill.

Afterwards we proceeded towards somanathapura temple complex and returned via Bannur, Malavalli, Kanakapura road. The road is simple awesome with superb tarmac to hug your car like fevistick, also very few humps and less traffic.
Hi, Can you please mention the route to this place. How is the road condition?
Old 30th December 2013, 08:47   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hi, Can you please mention the route to this place. How is the road condition?
You can proceed till sringipatna cross and then take left while proceeding towards mysore. There is clear signage board indicating nimishamba.
There are 2 ways of reaching temple.
1. Take the Road towards somanathapura, then take right on the bridge over river kaveri.
2. Proceed till srirangapatna cross, take road of Tippu summer palace and proceed till dead end.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...ra=ls&t=m&z=14

Strangely, the kaveri bridge does not show in maps mode of googlemaps, but shows in satellite mode.
Nokia Maps do not have this problem.....{google are u listening}
navrddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:36   #278
BHPian

Had a torrid time traveling back by car to Bangy from Mysore on this dreadful road yesterday evening. Lots of traffic and insane driving with absolutely no road etiquette, got dropped off near sirsi circle and took a clean and nicely driven autorickshaw to our house in Jayanagar.
Old 7th January 2014, 09:06   #279
Senior - BHPian

Today's Hindu newspaper Bangalore edition reports (page 4) that the State Government has sought NH status for the SH-17, for 'improving mobility'.

If it becomes a NH, those speed-breakers that infamous speed breakers might be removed?
Old 7th January 2014, 09:24   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Today's Hindu newspaper Bangalore edition reports (page 4) that the State Government has sought NH status for the SH-17, for 'improving mobility'. If it becomes a NH, those speed-breakers that infamous speed breakers might be removed?
With the possibility of paying toll , almost every noble intention of our netas will have a sinister idea in the background
Old 8th January 2014, 12:11   #281
BHPian

Is there a good option for a family to stay on this highway anywhere closer to Channapatna or Ramnagara? The reason I am asking is I am planning to visit Doddamalur krishna temple and i will be starting from hyderabad sometime in the afternoon and would like to cross bangalore and stay as close to temple so that next day i can start early finish Doddamalur and visit few other temples and if possible go to Mysore and spend another day and return back.
Old 8th January 2014, 15:07   #282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Is there a good option for a family to stay on this highway anywhere closer to Channapatna or Ramnagara? The reason I am asking is I am planning to visit Doddamalur krishna temple and i will be starting from hyderabad sometime in the afternoon and would like to cross bangalore and stay as close to temple so that next day i can start early finish Doddamalur and visit few other temples and if possible go to Mysore and spend another day and return back.
Actually if you stay at a hotel close to any of the NICE road exits in the city, traffic shouldn't be a huge hindrance in getting onto Mysore road in the morning.

Since you asked about hotels near Ramanagara, there is one decent hotel, actually a resort close to Ramanagara. It is located near Rasta Cafe and is called Hill View Resort.
http://www.hillviewresorts.in/index.php

While there are tons of eateries on that Ramanagara stretch, I don't think there are too many hotels (with lodging) in that area to choose from.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 18:03   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Is there a good option for a family to stay on this highway anywhere closer to Channapatna or Ramnagara?
Agree with what Karthikk mentioned. There are no descent stay options in Ramanagara or Channapatana. I guess the best option would be to stay in Bangalore and start off early to Channapatana. An early morning start should take you to Channapatana within 1.5 hours from NICE road exit near Kengeri on Bangalore - Mysore road.

Once you finish off your visit at Channapatana you can start to Mysore which is about 1.5 hour drive from there.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 18:42   #284
BHPian

Can you suggest some decent stay options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Agree with what Karthikk mentioned. There are no descent stay options in Ramanagara or Channapatana. I guess the best option would be to stay in Bangalore and start off early to Channapatana. An early morning start should take you to Channapatana within 1.5 hours from NICE road exit near Kengeri on Bangalore - Mysore road.

Once you finish off your visit at Channapatana you can start to Mysore which is about 1.5 hour drive from there.
Old 8th January 2014, 18:51   #285
BHPian

Did this route during Christmas holidays. My mindset was expecting worst, but the traffic is somewhat dense. One thing i felt strange is the number of speed breakers on this highway, Every intersection carries one. Normally service road which joins the highway carries speed breakers but here it is on the highway itself.

Also got speed ticket for crossing 80 km/h, i was actually doing 85 :-(. without knowing Kannada and carrying TN plate i have no other option than paying 300/- and got the receipt.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks