Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2012, 11:03   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1. inner ring road, koramangala and get to Hosur Road (at the end of inner ring road make a left turn)
Thanks alot .. that was fast

Yes i stay in C V Raman Nagar.

Do i really need to take Nice road? Instead of going towards Hosur road, i think i can turn towads BTM and banashankari and join kanakapura road(its saturday afternoon isnt it)

Unless there is some issue with Banashankari-kanakapura stretch !!! Is the traffic so much ?
Old 19th May 2012, 11:05   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am leaving for Mysore today afternoon and after going through this thread and personally experiencing the traffic on Mysore Road, i want to explore the kanakapura road

So can anyone highlight any confusion, diversion etc on this route ?

Do we have signboards for mysore ? or i need to keep asking the villagers ?

Or do i really need to take this route ? How good or bad is Traffic to Mysore in the afternoon(2-5) ?
Not sure if there are signboards for Mysore, but the route is fairly straightforward :

Take Kanakapura road from Bangalore, and on entering Kanakapura town, the road deviates to the right and then turns left. (Marked as NH209, and the NH is a divided road inside the town - so just follow the divided road till you pass Kanakapura).

The road will take you to Malavalli where you hit a T junction. A left turn takes you to Kollegal-Chamarajnagar etc - you need to take a right turn to go to Mysore.

Go about 0.5 kms on this road and you'll find a fairly large junction (The first major junction after the right turn of the previous paragraph) where you need to take a left towards Mysore. Straight road takes you to Maddur.

You'll find Malavalli bus stand after about 200-300 meters on this road. Just continue on this road straight and you will reach Mysore (Will pass Bannur on the way, no deviations there).

In case you want to go to Mysore ring road (e.g if your final destination is Coorg and you don't want to touch the city), you can take a right turn at a pretty large junction you find about 2-3 kms before Mysore city. (Can't miss it since the ring road towards your right is a very wide road). That will take you to the Columbia Asia junction where you cross SH17.

If you want to go towards Nanjangud without touching Mysore city, you can take a left turn about 2 kms before the city (the road towards Lalithmahal Palace) and then a right turn near LalithMahal palace will take you to the Nilgiris highway passing the Mysore Race course on your left.

No idea about how bad the traffic is on SH17 in afternoons since I haven't travelled that way for ages now..
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 12:19   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
3.Head straight on Kanakapura Road - after Kanakapura town you will get Malavalli junction (T junction) with left going towards Shivanasamdura/Chamarajnagar/Kollegal and right to Mysore. You need to make a right turn here and reach Bannur/Mysore.
A correction here - NPV. If you take a right turn at that T junction and proceed straight, you'll reach Maddur. You need to take the next left turn (that comes up in less than a km after that right) to go to Bannur / Mysore.

Sorry for the back to back messages - Mods. The time period for edits had expired, so couldn't add it to the previous message. Please merge this to the previous message if possible.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 18:37   #124
Senior - BHPian

Reached mysore via kanakapura road . It took 3.5 hrs including 1:15 hrs in bangalore trying to reach kanakapura road.
Road is decent except for 3-4 kms after bannur which is pretty bad.
Traffic is very sparce and a relaxing drive

However on my return i still feel the usual mysore route is faster if i time it well (starting at 7-8am on a sunday from mysore)
Old 19th May 2012, 18:45   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Reached mysore via kanakapura road . It took 3.5 hrs including 1:15 hrs in
bangalore trying to reach kanakapura road. Road is decent except for 3-4 kms after bannur which is pretty bad.
Traffic is very sparce and a relaxing drive

However on my return i still feel the usual mysore route is faster if i time it well (starting at 7-8am on a sunday from mysore)
Did you go through the city to find Kanakpura road? If yes, you will get delayed. The best option is take the NICE from
Hosur road itself. Though its about 20km more, but its stress free. I remember you said you start from CV Raman Nagar.
Then the best option is :

CVRaman Nagar- Indira Nagar - Koramanagala - Hosur Road - NICE road - Kanakpura road exit.

You can give it one more shot on the way back and then decide !

Last edited by ampere : 19th May 2012 at 18:46.
Old 20th May 2012, 19:14   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Then the best option is :

CVRaman Nagar- Indira Nagar - Koramanagala - Hosur Road - NICE road - Kanakpura road exit.

You can give it one more shot on the way back and then decide !
On my way back,I wanted more food options plus toddler wanted to do some boating, so visited Rangana thittu and thus the usual Mysore route.

Later i took the Nice route to get down near Bannerghatta and then BTM and inner ring road(spent less than an hour here)

Traffic on Mysore State highway has definitely increased, All this at odd hours 10AM-1PM.

Thanks buddies for the Kanakapura route related information, spot on and i never stopped for directions
Old 13th August 2012, 07:38   #127
Senior - BHPian

Explored another alternative to SH17 when coming from Coorg side last evening. Since I had already reached Srirangapatna through the byepass from Yelivala, tried the road marked as SH7 / 79 which connects Srirangapatna (actually Baburayanakoppal a couple of kms from SRP towards Bangalore) to Bannur. Brilliant road. Could do the 25 kms in about 20 minutes with ease.

However the road between Bannur and Malavalli wasn't much of a joy - 5 or 6 unmarked unscientific speedbreakers have come up there also and traffic was fairly heavy at about 7PM (Also Bannur and Malavalli towns were also a pain to cross because of the evening crowd).

From Malavalli to Bangalore was a breeze as usual. Reached my place near Banashankari in about 2 hrs 10 minutes from SR Patna. Pretty similar timings to what one would achieve on SH17 I think. Distance was longer by about 20 kms though.
Old 16th August 2012, 18:16   #128
BHPian

Guys,
First time to Mysore and completely unfamiliar with which roads to take. PLEASE PLEASE tell me which road to follow ( I need a road with divider ) - Google Maps is throwing up two options

Option 1: Bangalore-Bidadi-Maddur-Mandya-Mysore
Option 2: Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Mysore

Need to go to Mysore Fortune JP Palace (not important though)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/Please.gif
Old 16th August 2012, 18:45   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
Guys,
First time to Mysore and completely unfamiliar with which roads to take. PLEASE PLEASE tell me which road to follow ( I need a road with divider ) - Google Maps is throwing up two options

If you leave before 7:30 AM or after 12:PM take option 1. (Better surface road, divided 2 lane road, more places to stop by)
Any other time you could take Option 2 (Inferior road surface, single lane, not many good places to stop by unless you are a regular on this road and know the good small shops)
I would recommend option2.
Old 16th August 2012, 19:06   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
Guys,

Route 1 by far. Has more traffic but 4 laned, lots of places to stop and eat.
Old 28th August 2012, 15:45   #131
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am planning to drive down on 31st morning to Wayanad from Banaglore - a resort some kms from Mananthavady.

I prefer to try out the Kanakpura road onwards rather than SH17 and NH212. So, could someone who has recently driven these roads give some feedback on the road conditions after rains:

1. Kanakpura -> Malavalli -> Kollegal -> Chamarajanagar -> Gundlupet ? esp. Charmarajnagar -> Gundlupet ?

2. Kanakpura -> Malavalli -> bannur -> Mysore -> Gundlupet ?

Which one is recommended ? I'll be driving around 8:30-9AM past Mysore (if on option 2)
Old 28th August 2012, 16:14   #132
Senior - BHPian

I avoid hitting Mysore road on Sundays between 6-10PM to return to Bangalore sometimes it just gets plain crazy.

Though Kanakpura is an option as well, I usually time my return in such a way that I touch Mysore road only post 10PM so the roads are mostly empty and upon reaching Bangalore one does not have to face kilometers of traffic jams! Though the time might make it inconvenient for a few people, I personally prefer driving at night once the roads are emptier.
Old 28th August 2012, 16:55   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Guys, I am planning to drive down on 31st morning to Wayanad from Banaglore - a resort some kms from Mananthavady.

I prefer to try out the Kanakpura road onwards rather than SH17 and NH212. So, could someone who has recently driven these roads give some feedback on the road conditions after rains:

1. Kanakpura -> Malavalli -> Kollegal -> Chamarajanagar -> Gundlupet ? esp. Charmarajnagar -> Gundlupet ?

Which one is recommended ? I'll be driving around 8:30-9AM past Mysore (if on option 2)
Had been to Malavalli on Sunday (26th), the Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli stretch is fine, but no idea of the road conditions thereafter. This stretch is good to drive, but see to that you don't hit very high speeds, Max of 80 - 90 should be a safe as quite a few old stretches have undulations and make the ride uneasy. Also did not notice any restaurants along the highway, you can find one or two in Kanakapura though, so plan accordingly.

Since you are leaving on a working day and aim to drive past Mysore by 8:30, I presume you will have to leave Bangalore at least by 6:30AM, so the Mysore road should be manageable, this stretch also gives you more option for breakfast/stops etc. However, if you want to drive through Kanakapura road for a change, proceed only after hearing from other members.

Kanakpura -> Malavalli -> bannur -> Mysore -> Gundlupet

If you freeze on the Kanakapura road, you need not do the above order as its longer, instead you can follow:

Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegala - Chamarajanagara - Gundlupet

Hope this is useful

Thanks,
Swifdeep
Old 28th August 2012, 17:02   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post

Option (1) is the better one. Roads are excellent upto Chamarajanagar (except for 3 or 4 places between Kollegal and Chamarajanagar where the road is quite narrow when passing through some villages - you may need to stop to give way to any heavy vehicles coming in the opposite direction).

Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet is decent, but there are a few small stretches where the road is broken, but nothing to really worry about. But better to limit your speed to around 60 if you aren't too familiar with the road.

The drive from Kanakapura Rd/NICE road junction to Gundlupet shouldn't take more than 3 to 3.5 hours with sedate driving.
Old 28th August 2012, 20:10   #135
Senior - BHPian

@swifdeep & @kala,
thanks for the quick inputs. So, it seems to be like Kanakpura->chamarajanagar->gundlupet is a good idea. Atleast, I'll drive one direction through this route. Will update after my trip!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks