Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 10:40   #76
BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
1. Do not leave for Mysore between 6-8AM on Saturday(or begining of long holiday)
2. Do not attempt to leave for Bangalore between 5-8PM on Sunday.

Apart from these two rush hours, travelling would take typical 2-2.5 hrs only.
I travel in this road reasonably regularly; while going from Bangalore to Mysore I always leave around 0530 from Whitefield; while leaving from Mysore I always leave at around 0700 hours.

Last edited by Tempelhof : 14th October 2011 at 10:41.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:35   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
I travel in this road reasonably regularly; while going from Bangalore to Mysore I always leave around 0530 from Whitefield; while leaving from Mysore I always leave at around 0700 hours.
It definietely makes sense. Otherwise it is a misery.

On Sunday, we left at 8.30 in the morning from Bannerghatta road junction on NICE road and reached Mysore at 11.30 (Columbia Asia junction) with twenty minutes break at Kadambam for BF.

The issue is not of the time but the way the vehicles are driven on this road plus numerous humps/speed breakers which will frustrate you and does not provide for a good driving experience. Till Bidadi it was bad and then again in Ramanagara and Channapatna towns.

On the way back, we dared not to drive on the road again. We took Bannur - Malavalli - Kanakapura route. Mysore - Bannur is good. For two KMs after Bannur, you will find some pot holes but manageable. Bannur - malavalli is also OK. Malavalli - Bangalore was a very realxing drive on excellent road - hardly any traffic, no speed breakers - which cuts through greenery. For stats, we left Bannur - T Narasipura junction in Mysore at 2.45 PM and were there at Kanakapura road junction on NICE road at 5.10 PM without a break.

Good news. Saw a new restaurant in Kanakapura town named "GOKULA". Need to try next time.

Last edited by Fauji : 15th November 2011 at 10:36.
Old 21st March 2012, 16:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

Planning a family holiday in the last weekend of April. I hate the SH17 Bangalore - Mysore road. What is the present condition of State Highway 33? Is it another speed breaker road?
Old 21st March 2012, 16:48   #79
Senior - BHPian

What is SH 33? If you are referring the road via Kanakapura, No speedbreakers and it is a pleasnt drive. I am not sure of conditions between Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore. Repairs were going on and hopefully should have been completed and good.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 17:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
What is SH 33?
State Highway 33 is Kanakpurra Road
Old 21st March 2012, 17:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Thanks Sandeep. Then it is in fine condition till Malavalli. In fact i am travelling on this road on Friday morning. After Malavalli i am not sure. In all likElihood it should be good. Definitely a better bet as there will be heavy holiday rush on regular BLR-MYS ROAD.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:30   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Sandeep. Then it is in fine condition till Malavalli. In fact i am travelling on this road on Friday morning. After Malavalli i am not sure. In all likElihood it should be good. Definitely a better bet as there will be heavy holiday rush on regular BLR-MYS ROAD.
Some thing not right. Kanakpura road is NH209 (now called NH948).
SH33 connects Malavalli to Mysore.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:48   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Some thing not right. Kanakpura road is NH209 (now called NH948).
SH33 connects Malavalli to Mysore.
Actually SH33 is much longer than that. Ampere is right, Kanakapura road doesn't form a part of SH33.

The SH33 actually starts from Koratagere (about 25 kms North East of Tumkur) and goes upto Bavali on the Kerala border passing through Tumkur, Kunigal, Maddur, Malavalli, Bannur, Mysore, H. D.Kote (Handpost) and Antharasanthe.
Old 21st March 2012, 19:09   #84
Senior - BHPian

I have said this multiple times, but take NH209 guys. I haven't been on Mysore Road in the last 1 year, and I go regularly to the Nilgiris.

There is one bumpy stretch just before Kollegal, but that is just for a few kms. It is possible to drive b/w 60-80kmph even then if you are driving a SUV.

There are a couple of broken stretches ~ 100 feet long between Chamarajanagar and Gundlepet, if you are planning to take that road. Drive slowly through them, no sweat.

However, don't expect butter smooth roads. Even though the tarmac is good, the road is somewhat uneven (not broken) - somewhat like NICE Road or NH7 where smooth bulges have formed due to heat I guess.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 19:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning a family holiday in the last weekend of April. I hate the SH17 Bangalore - Mysore road. What is the present condition of State Highway 33? Is it another speed breaker road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I have said this multiple times, but take NH209 guys. I haven't been on Mysore Road in the last 1 year, and I go regularly to the Nilgiris.
+1 to that. Almost the same case with me too, the only time I've been on SH17 the past year and a half is when I was driving to Madikeri a couple of months ago. (Chose SH-17 then because I was starting very early in the morning, but hated it even then - thanks to the speedbreakers. Am planning to try out the Bannur-Srirangapatna road the next time I need to go to Coorg)

And Sandeep, if the destination of your family holiday is anywhere on the other side of Gundlupet (i.e Bandipur, Nilgiris, Wayanad etc), try the route that Nilanjan suggested - you won't regret it (you can skip Mysore and Nanjangud if you go that way).

The only thing I'd recommend to first time travellers on this route is to just look up the route in Google Maps prior to your travel. There are a couple of junctions where you need to take 45 degree or 90 degree turns to stay on NH 209 (Malavalli, Santamarahalli, and a couple fo other places at and immediately after Kollegal) , and even though there are road markings, it helps to know in advance where you have to deviate from the straight road ahead.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 21:24   #86
BHPian

Quote:

There is one bumpy stretch just before Kollegal, but that is just for a few kms. It is possible to drive b/w 60-80kmph even then if you are driving a SUV.
I hope that you have traveled through this route recently and this is the updated road conditions. I had a trip through there in December and the roads from Kollegal to the diversion point to Chamarajnagar was horrible to say the least. There were crater sized potholes all over the road. Didn't take that route when I went to Calicut in February.
Old 21st March 2012, 21:45   #87
Senior - BHPian

I last traveled 10 days back. The beyond Kollegal stretch was repaired by then. However the last few kms before entering Kollegal, not yet.
Old 21st March 2012, 22:40   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I hope that you have traveled through this route recently and this is the updated road conditions. I had a trip through there in December and the roads from Kollegal to the diversion point to Chamarajnagar was horrible to say the least. There were crater sized potholes all over the road. Didn't take that route when I went to Calicut in February.
Here's the link to my trip report to Kalpetta 10 days back where I've detailed the road conditions of each sector on that route.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2711631

The roadwork on the stretch immediately after Kollegal seems to be complete, no craters present on that stretch as of now. But then I never felt the roads to be all that bad even in December - I drive a hatchback and generally drive only at speeds that the road conditions and traffic allows (with a max limit of about 130-140) and if my memory serves me right I felt pretty comfortable driving that stretch at speeds of 40 to 50+ even in the worst times, which was a couple of months ago. So the craters couldn't have been all that bad even back then. (For a comparison, I normally drive only at around 10-25kmph on the bad section on SH33 between HD Kote and Bavali)
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:06   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
It is not between Kollegal and Chamarajnagar - which is good - but Chamarajanagar and Gundlupet. They were repairing four months back and is complete as Kala rightly mentions in his post. It is all done now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The roadwork on the stretch immediately after Kollegal seems to be complete, no craters present on that stretch as of now
Thanks Kala.
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:44   #90
BHPian

Quote:
I last traveled 10 days back. The beyond Kollegal stretch was repaired by then. However the last few kms before entering Kollegal, not yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Here's the link to my trip report to Kalpetta 10 days back where I've detailed the road conditions of each sector on that route.
Quote:
It is not between Kollegal and Chamarajnagar - which is good - but Chamarajanagar and Gundlupet. They were repairing four months back and is complete as Kala rightly mentions in his post. It is all done now.
I did some research on this as I was pretty sure that the roads were in bad shape in December. Then, I found out that between Kollegala and Chamarajnagar, we most probably were talking of different routes. I've marked the route that I take in red (NH212) and the other one that you people are probably referring to (NH209). And the NH212 from Uttamballi to the left turn in the red line is exactly where the road was horrible. After Santhamarahalli, it's the same route again. I always used to take this route as the traffic was less and the roads were good, earlier. Never tried NH209, in that stretch. And my breakfast is always from CCD Gundlupet, even though I have to drive a kilometer and half back towards Bangalore. Maybe that explains the confusion

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-route212209.jpg

Last edited by A350XWB : 22nd March 2012 at 10:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks