Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 14:57   #31
BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I've done BLR-MYS road trips many times. If you are the sensitive, cautious kind you'll hate this road on Sunday evenings.
Actually, if you are sensitive and cautious, you hate it all the time. Well almost all the time. There are more problems than traffic and rash driving:

1. Too many unmarked/un-authorized medians. (A cousin of mine hit someone who suddenly cut in from one such un-authorized medians. He spent 3 agonizing years and atleast 30+ trips to the court before getting acquitted).

2. The greenery on the divider. It does help in the night by blocking headlights from the opposite traffic, but renders you absolutely clueless even at marked medians. Atleast once are twice in the journey, someone will appear from behind these plants in an attempt to cross and withdraw themselves. Accident saved OK, but if you are driving at a decent speed, you will miss a heart beat or so.

3. People coming in from opposite direction in the wrong lane. Lazy and irresponsible folks (all type of vehicles), will avoid going around and take a short-cut in the wrong lane. I've even seen the school vans in the wrong lane.

4. Near most towns and villages, locals are blissfully unaware of dangers they are posing to themselves and other users. No indicators, not even old style hand signal, no horn, no mirror, they just turn right or left when they fancy and you are your own to somehow avoid these.

So what is the solution? Increase in speed breakers. Also count the police zig-zag etc., and all the other problems documented, its no more an enjoyable drive. Come April, holidays for kids, the Wonderla folks join from Bidadi to the caravan. For the last couple of years, we drive thru Kanakapura if we are returning on a Sunday (it helps that we live in JPN).

Police have not lost sense of humor and irony. Apart from erecting speed breakers and zig-zags, they even stop you for over-speeding. The most interesting one I've found is at the entrance of Mandya (while driving from Bangalore). Just near the arch and much before the city starts, they have put a 30-kmph (city limits) warning sign and lurk in a corner just 100-200mtrs ahead and merrily give tickets to almost everyone (you have to be in 1st gear to not exceed this limit). First time I got saved as I was stuck behind a slow moving Rajahamsa and been careful later on. I've also seen the speed-guns in action just before Kengeri.

Mysore is my home town and I need to visit often, so no matter how much I rant, I'd be on the road.

Prasad
Old 15th March 2011, 15:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post

Police have not lost sense of humor and irony. Apart from erecting speed breakers and zig-zags, they even stop you for over-speeding. The most interesting one I've found is at the entrance of Mandya (while driving from Bangalore). Just near the arch and much before the city starts, they have put a 30-kmph (city limits) warning sign and lurk in a corner just 100-200mtrs ahead and merrily give tickets to almost everyone (you have to be in 1st gear to not exceed this limit). First time I got saved as I was stuck behind a slow moving Rajahamsa and been careful later on. I've also seen the speed-guns in action just before Kengeri.
This is news. Since when have they started doing this?
Old 15th March 2011, 15:49   #33
BHPian

Hi,

I really dont think there is much that can be done unless more number of people start using the Kanankpura road and NICE road.

I normally visit mysore twice a month and leave from home at 5:30 (reach kengeri by 6-6:15) and am normally in mysore by 9:30 (45 - 60 min stop for some breakfast) and leave from mysore by 2:30 pm the next day. If it is a sunday then I leave at 1:00 pm, this gives you some respite considering many of the other travellers would leave post lunch. Its a 2hr 30 min trip till the outer ring road junction, after that I hope to make it home in one piece/ hour .

The worst experience I had was when the entire family travelled to mysore for christmas 2 years ago. It was a three day weekend and the enitre streach was packed. Average speed was around 45 kmph. The journey took 5 hours.

Parik
Old 15th March 2011, 15:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
This is news. Since when have they started doing this?
The Kengeri thing I've seen for an year now (I've seen on Fri evenings) and the at Mandya, I saw it for the first time about 6 months ago (Sat mornings).

Prasad
Old 15th March 2011, 16:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Kengeri thing I've seen for an year now (I've seen on Fri evenings) and the at Mandya, I saw it for the first time about 6 months ago (Sat mornings).

Prasad
The Kengeri thing was happening for more than a couple of years I guess. But, nowadays, I haven't see any policemen checking speeds.

Btw, thanks for the Mandya info. Will watch out from next time.
Old 15th March 2011, 20:49   #36
BHPian

Quote:

Prasad
Thanks prasad for the tip about the Mandya police thing. Usually where are these guys located. I didn't happen to see anybody being stopped.

My mom's hometown is Mysore and i go there frequently. Last trip made about 3 weeks ago had me ranting about the journey (sunday evening) as you can see in my post in the first page.
Old 15th March 2011, 21:00   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Thanks prasad for the tip about the Mandya police thing. Usually where are these guys located. .
As you enter Mandya from Bangalore, you'll see a high way direction board (in reflective green/white), much before the city actually starts. I think there is a fire brigade and/or their quarters. I'll note down the exact details in my next trip. At this point, they have put a 30kmph speed limit board and catch people. I'll slow down almost as soon as I cross Amaravathi hotel and try to follow a bus/truck (so difficult to ride in 30kmph).

I do follow all traffic rules, however I feel putting a 30kmph limit at the out skirts and collecting fine for over speeding is little too much, especially when they have done precious little to stream line traffic and punish more serious offenders.

Prasad
Old 15th March 2011, 21:19   #38
BHPian

Hi there, I have no intention to hijack this thread, but read all the posts on this thread with great interest. My family (wife and 3-yr-old daughter) and I plan to visit Mysore sometime in September/October. This visit is part of our Goa-Belgaum-Tumkur-Pondicherry-Vailankani-Pondicherry-Krishnagiri-Mysore-Madikeri-Mangalore-Goa trip in our I10. My last visit to Mysore was way back in 1982 as a 10-year-old and hence I have extremely sketchy memories of the place. Can any of you guys (either from Bangalore or Mysore) be willing to give me info (best route, staying, visiting, sightseeing, etc) on Mysore? I would be more than happy to contact any of you by email or phone for more details, so that I can plan the journey well in advance. Please let me know. In return, I would be more than happy to supply you with all the info on Goa. Thanks, Melvyn

Last edited by misquitas : 15th March 2011 at 21:24.
Old 15th March 2011, 21:55   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Can any of you guys (either from Bangalore or Mysore) be willing to give me info (best route, staying, visiting, sightseeing, etc) on Mysore? I would be more than happy to contact any of you by email or phone for more details, so that I can plan the journey well in advance. Please let me know. In return, I would be more than happy to supply you with all the info on Goa. Thanks, Melvyn
Why not? Pl. contact me at ramp [dot] ramp [at] gmail [dot] com.

I do however recommend requesting these info in an appropriate thread (or start a new thread if need be), so that more people can participate and give the info.

Prasad

PS: Its heartening to know that there are people in this world who plan the trips 6-8 months in advance. I too plan so much in advance and provide enough fodder for people to make fun.
Old 15th March 2011, 22:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Can any of you guys (either from Bangalore or Mysore) be willing to give me info (best route, staying, visiting, sightseeing, etc) on Mysore? I would be more than happy to contact any of you by email or phone for more details, so that I can plan the journey well in advance. Please let me know. In return, I would be more than happy to supply you with all the info on Goa. Thanks, Melvyn

I do however recommend requesting these info in an appropriate thread (or start a new thread if need be), so that more people can participate and give the info.

Prasad

PS: Its heartening to know that there are people in this world who plan the trips 6-8 months in advance. I too plan so much in advance and provide enough fodder for people to make fun.
Old 15th March 2011, 22:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Prasad

Hi there Prasad, Many thanks for your prompt reply regarding my query. I have just sent you an email and I would be happy if you could provide me with details regarding my proposed visit. I will be in touch with you in this regard. Regards, Melvyn
Old 5th April 2011, 10:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

The Bangalore Mysore road (SH 17) is becoming increasingly difficult o handle with the ever increasing number of speed breakers. I have encountered this on many weekends (esp long weekends). I took this route on April 2nd on the way to Calicut but on the way back on April 4th, I took to the Gunlupet - Chamaraj Nagar - Kollegal - Malavalli - Kanakpura - Bangalore route. Details can be seen in the below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-147.html
Old 8th May 2011, 20:17   #43

First of all - a BIG thank you to all the folks on this thread providing a warning on the Mys-Blr route on Sunday evenings. Today I drove back from Wayanad and used the Gundlupet-Chamarajnagar-Kollegal-Kanakpura route back to Bangalore - the roads are in great shape and very little traffic. I really enjoyed the drive. One word of caution is that there are no clear road signs when driving through the towns of Chamarajanagar and Kollegal - but you can ask around and folks will be glad to help to put you back on the Bangalore road. All in all from Gundlupet to Bangalore (to my house in JP Nagar) took 4 hours - without break.
Old 9th May 2011, 11:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_prakash View Post
First of all - a BIG thank you to all the folks on this thread providing a warning on the Mys-Blr route on Sunday evenings. Today I drove back from Wayanad and used the Gundlupet-Chamarajnagar-Kollegal-Kanakpura route back to Bangalore - the roads are in great shape and very little traffic. I really enjoyed the drive. One word of caution is that there are no clear road signs when driving through the towns of Chamarajanagar and Kollegal - but you can ask around and folks will be glad to help to put you back on the Bangalore road. All in all from Gundlupet to Bangalore (to my house in JP Nagar) took 4 hours - without break.
This is a great alternative even for those who wants to go to Mysore. I use this road these days. Also check this thread for road condition.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...y-road-18.html
Old 9th May 2011, 13:19   #45
Team-BHP Support

The NH209 route would definitely be more scenic and less crowded. My only grouse about this stretch is there are almost no eateries/restaurants to stop for a meal or take a break. Wish one of the Kamat(s) or Adiga(s) chains put up an outlet here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks