Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:31   #361
BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Hey guys, I'm planning to ride to Mysore tomorrow morning. Planning to join Kengeri around 6.30AM. Since it is a normal weekend, should I take the SH17? It'd be good if I can touch Mysore Ring Road around 9.15. The cruising speed won't be more than 80-85 km/h. Can it be achieved on SH17?
(I was a regular on this route earlier. But haven't ridden to Mys since more than a year)
99% your idea will work . A 1% chance of being late .The main idea is to get out of Bidadi ASAP,the other cities (Mandya,Ramnagar)you will lose 10 minutes each. You may have to catch up with some spirited driving.
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 18:12   #362
BHPian

Just concluded a trip to Nagarhole/Kutta and took the NICE Road- Kanakpura- Malavalli- Bannur- Mysore Ring Road- Hunsur route.

Here are my observations on the alternate route to Mysore

Onward journey- started on Friday morning at 5.30 from my house near Marthahalli.

NICE exit on Kanakpura road to Kanakpura- very little traffic and smooth travel

Kanakpura to Malavalli- again very little traffic and smooth travel

Malavalli to Bannur- road starts deteriorating a little bit. A few pot holes and broken road stretches here and there. Still not bad

Bannur to Mysore Ring Road- now this was a patience tester. Several poor stretches, especially 1 km inside Bannur town a total mess. Not only that, there was heavy morning traffic towards Mysore- slow moving autos, bikers talking on mobile and buses. It took almost an hour to negotiate this 22 km stretch

Return trip
This was on Sunday- reached Mysore Ring road at around 11.30 am.

Mysore Ring Road- Bannur and Bannur - Malavalli stretches took a long time as there seemed to be innumerable two wheelers, pick up autos, lorries etc on the road - all of them going very slowly. Passing was very tricky on these two narrow stretches.

I have seen this situation earlier as well. Villages near bangalore are busier on Sundays !! people hold santhes (markets) and celebrate their only holiday of the week

Malavalli- Kanakpura as a breeze, but Kanakpura- NICE road was again slow going with lot of traffic

So the alternate route is good if you probably take it early in the morning, otherwise could be a pain
Old 25th August 2014, 07:54   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post
So the alternate route is good if you probably take it early in the morning, otherwise could be a pain

An alternative:

Bangalore-Malavalli-T-Narasipura-Nanjangud-Handpost-Nagarhole.

Since it does not go through Bannur, it may be tad better. Dont know the road conditions around Nanjangud and from there on to Handpost.
Old 25th August 2014, 09:03   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
An alternative:

Bangalore-Malavalli-T-Narasipura-Nanjangud-Handpost-Nagarhole.

Since it does not go through Bannur, it may be tad better. Dont know the road conditions around Nanjangud and from there on to Handpost.

Thanks. May be next time . Longer by close to 30 kms though
Old 25th August 2014, 10:51   #365
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Mysore on Friday, 29th Aug. The planned start is about 10:00AM. Would have loved to start a lot earlier, but we are to wait for another family who will only arrive from Chennai at about 7:00 or 8:00 AM.
This will be my first drive to Mysore.
Maps shows 3 routes, out of which 2 are shorter and are my options. One through SH17 and the other NH209.
Which of these is ideal taking the traffic situation on a weekend?
Old 25th August 2014, 11:41   #366
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I am planning to drive to Mysore on Friday, 29th Aug. The planned start is about 10:00AM. Would have loved to start a lot earlier, but we are to wait for another family who will only arrive from Chennai at about 7:00 or 8:00 AM.
Maps shows 3 routes, out of which 2 are shorter and are my options. One through SH17 and the other NH209.
Tough question to answer
Since you start at 10am, a lot of time will be spent getting out of Bangalore city. If you live close to Mysore road that may be a quicker option to get out of Bangalore, otherwise using NICE road is an option if you're anywhere close to it. Then you will have the option of using NICE to connect you to Kanakapura road (NH 209) or Mysore Road (SH17) or Tumkur Road (NH 4).
Remember Mysore Road will slow you down at all the towns enroute and lots of speed breakers to negotiate as well.
Comparatively on 209, till you get past Kanakapura it will be slow. After that it should be relatively lesser traffic.
If you want to take the off-beat route go via Nelamangala-Nelligere-Srirangapatna, lesser traffic but again speeds may not be high and you need to get to Tumkur Road for which NICE can be an option again.

EDIT:oops, 29 is a holiday on occasion of Ganesha Chaturthi so avoid SH 17 as you start at 10am! The other 2 seem like better options.

Last edited by NPV : 25th August 2014 at 11:44.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 12:42   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ It is a tough call.
SH 17 is likely to be congested based on previous experiences.
NH 209 would be less congested, however do budget time for blockages in between due to Ganesh Chaturthi related processions. Also do note that food options are not available en route.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 18:42   #368
BHPian

Quote:
I would say take SH 17 without hesitation, given that this is your first drive. Also, if you are getting stuck, you are better off getting stuck on 17, rather than the Kanakapura Road. Also, you will have tons of food options on SH 17. Stay safe and drive safe. You may take about 4 hours to reach Mysore.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 18:42   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^ It is a tough call.
SH 17 is likely to be congested based on previous experiences.
NH 209 would be less congested, however do budget time for blockages in between due to Ganesh Chaturthi related processions. Also do note that food options are not available en route.
I will most probably take SH17. I am not in a big hurry. I just hope we don't end up stuck somewhere in the traffic.
On food options, we shall be stacking up before leaving.
Old 25th August 2014, 18:55   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will most probably take SH17. I am not in a big hurry. I just hope we don't end up stuck somewhere in the traffic.
Every city; especially Ramnagaram, Channapatna and Mandya will be major bottlenecks. Not to mention the ruble strips near Kadu Mane before Bidadi. Get some good music in the car with A/C turned on to not lose cool

On a sidenote, I'll be taking thursday off and return to Mysore on late wednesday night
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 20:19   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In addition to all other suggestions, if you are not in a hurry, it may be advisable to leave a little later (11.30-12 PM), by then the huge long weekend crowd heading out towards Mysore, Coorg, Ooty, Kerala would have reduced since most folks would be leaving in the 6-9 am time frame.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 20:41   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will most probably take SH17. I am not in a big hurry.
Some of the folks who headed out during the last 3-day weekend, they took 5+ hours to reach Mysore from Bangalore (7 AM - 12:30 PM). Think about that too. :-)
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 21:28   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Consider SH33 - Kanakapura road as well. Although it is a two lane road with no dividers for most of the stretch, goes bypassing villages. Dont expect 3 digit speeds, but you will save time reaching Mysore during these long weekends.

Best is to start within 6:30am from Bangalore and by 10am from Mysore, that's when the traffic from farther destinations like Ooty and Coorg starts hitting Mysore-Bangalore road.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 17:05   #374
BHPian

All set for tomorrow's short trip to Mysore and back. Taking the SH17, hopefully to start by 10:00 AM. Details on journey and trip once am back.
Old 28th August 2014, 17:37   #375
Senior - BHPian

I noticed that the second set of rumblers, next to Innovative Filmcity turnoff has been levelled and replaced with a single hump. Welcome change

Don't recall if rumblers next to Kadu Mane were given the same treatment. Hope it is!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks