Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2015, 06:15   #451
Senior - BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Read in another forum that NH 209 over Kaveri which was closed for heavy vehicles is completely closed.

If that is the case, with no new bridge anywhere in sight it is going to be a pain for couple of years.

As per the post it was closed only in last few days, any one has updated information?
Any update on this? Is there any work happening on the bridge?
Old 13th March 2015, 08:09   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Any update on this? Is there any work happening on the bridge?
This thread has the details - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3597348. My feedback - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3603604

AFAIK, bridge work is going on.

Last edited by msdivy : 13th March 2015 at 08:11.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 16:55   #453
BHPian

Some news on the infamous humps of the Mandya - Srirangapatna stretch , lets see how much will disappear and re-appear in a days time.

http://www.starofmysore.com/main.asp...ews&item=44332
mazda4life is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 16:58   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Some news on the infamous humps of the Mandya - Srirangapatna stretch , lets see how much will disappear and re-appear in a days time.

http://www.starofmysore.com/main.asp...ews&item=44332
Just traveled this stretch yesterday and last Sunday, found significantly less humps compared to 4-5 months ago. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
sswaroop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 10:35   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaroop View Post

Just traveled this stretch yesterday and last Sunday, found significantly less humps compared to 4-5 months ago. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
I returned to Mysore today.

The Mandya-Mysore stretch has lost a few humps. They've been replaced by collapsible barricades.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150428_103451.png
Views: 3253
Size:  715.1 KB
Old 11th May 2015, 09:37   #456
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Mysore Traffic police have installed speed cameras in the stretch between Srirangapatna and Mysore city. My friend received a speeding ticket through post. location/place of offense according to the notice is 'Kalasthavadi road speed camera'
This is the approximate location: https://goo.gl/4RDJyK
sandsun7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 12:50   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Looks like Mysore Traffic police have installed speed cameras in the stretch between Srirangapatna and Mysore city.
There was a camera since long time at that location. While driving down from Bangalore, at the location mentioned in Google maps above the median widens.

Soon after this there is a speed breaker, there was a camera mounted on a pole on the left side just before this speed breaker. I guess they have repaired the same now.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 12:10   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I returned to Mysore today.

The Mandya-Mysore stretch has lost a few humps. They've been replaced by collapsible barricades.
The collapsible barricades have replaced most of the humps between Maddur and Mysore. However newer 'lumps of tar and stone' humps have come up at 2-3 places just before Channapatna while coming from Mysore. These new humps are actually a pain compared to the older humps which were actually smooth to pass.

Regarding the barricades:

Positives:
1. Has reflective material all over the barricades which makes it visible from quite a distance at night.
2. Easy passing through the barricades (only when traffic is low)
3. Forcefully slows down the vehicles at junctions allowing drivers to have time to react if anyone/anything appears on the road suddenly

Negatives:
1. Only one lane of vehicles can pass through. I understand this is the only way barricades are deployed, but in a 2 laned highway, funneling high speed traffic into one lane is kind of dangerous. Especially on this road (and on a Sunday evening), this makes is far more dangerous. As most of us know, drivers on this road become possessed and drive like crazy on a sunday evening. Now how do you stop people from doing immediate lane changes to enter the barricades and exit. Forget cars, heavy vehicles can push you out of the road. I was almost pushed off the road by a KSRTC bus when Ihe tried to cut into my lane to enter the barricades. I'm posting the above points strictly on the basis of Sunday evening mania on this road.

Btw, I spotted a few broken and 'relocated' barricades today morning while driving back from Mysore. So I guess what I said above makes sense.

2. Slower - So in such traffic, even if one ignores the vehicles cutting each others' lane and stays in the right lane to enter and exit the barricades, it usually forms a huge line and makes it even slower than the humps.

3. Racers - The above two scenarios are in high traffic, but when traffic is low (odd hours like late night or afternoon hours), there will be a lot of wannabe racers who would like to swerve in and out of the barricades at high speed. I'm not talking about cars alone. Trucks and buses are also included in that category. On Friday night, while driving towards Mysore, I saw a truck in front of me swerving through the barricades at a decent speed (for that truck) and he almost ended up going through to the opposite lane. Luckily for him, he somehow got it under control and got back to his lane.

So in my opinion, although these barricades are a boon when traffic is low, it becomes a hazard when traffic is high
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 12:20   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

.... These new humps are actually a pain compared to the older humps which were actually smooth to pass.

.... Easy passing through the barricades (only when traffic is low)

... Only one lane of vehicles can pass through. I understand this is the only way barricades are deployed, but in a 2 laned highway, funneling high speed traffic into one lane is kind of dangerous. Especially on this road (and on a Sunday evening), this makes is far more dangerous. As most of us know, drivers on this road become possessed and drive like crazy on a sunday evening. Now how do you stop people from doing immediate lane changes to enter the barricades and exit. Forget cars, heavy vehicles can push you out of the road. I was almost pushed off the road by a KSRTC bus when Ihe tried to cut into my lane to enter the barricades. I'm posting the above points strictly on the basis of Sunday evening mania on this road.

Btw, I spotted a few broken and 'relocated' barricades today morning while driving back from Mysore. So I guess what I said above makes sense.

2. Slower - So in such traffic, even if one ignores the vehicles cutting each others' lane and stays in the right lane to enter and exit the barricades, it usually forms a huge line and makes it even slower than the humps.

3. Racers - The above two scenarios are in high traffic, but when traffic is low (odd hours like late night or afternoon hours), there will be a lot of wannabe racers who would like to swerve in and out of the barricades at high speed. I'm not talking about cars alone. Trucks and buses are also included in that category. On Friday night, while driving towards Mysore, I saw a truck in front of me swerving through the barricades at a decent speed (for that truck) and he almost ended up going through to the opposite lane. Luckily for him, he somehow got it under control and got back to his lane.

So in my opinion, although these barricades are a boon when traffic is low, it becomes a hazard when traffic is high
Agree completely with the quoted part!

I returned from Bangalore to Mysore today morning. The traffic was unusually high today and I experienced everything you mentioned!
When I posted the pic of the barricade earlier, I had actually thought of commending the authorities for finding a sensible alternative to the hump, but after driving in today's mad rush, I feel the humps were a much better proposition!!
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 12:29   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree.

Many of the barriers between ramnagara and channapatna were retracted and this could pass on at full speed. Ones around Mandya weren't retracted though.

I started at 10.15PM from Garuda Mall, Bangalore and reached my home at Mysore by 12.40AM. This was including two 10 minute breaks. I, for one am in support of these retractable barriers since I don't drive on this road during rush hours and they do save time
SunnyBoi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 14:24   #461
Senior - BHPian

have they re-asphalted the tarmac where the humps stood earlier? I mean, after they were removed. Or are those spots rough/uneven? I have seen elsewhere in Bangalore, whenever a hump is removed, the spot is rarely re-asphalted and tends to be uneven.
Old 25th May 2015, 14:32   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
have they re-asphalted the tarmac where the humps stood earlier? I mean, after they were removed. Or are those spots rough/uneven? I have seen elsewhere in Bangalore, whenever a hump is removed, the spot is rarely re-asphalted and tends to be uneven.
The surface is rough/ uneven and the debris from the removal is lying right next to the spot- by the roadside.
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 15:03   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
The surface is rough/ uneven and the debris from the removal is lying right next to the spot- by the roadside.
In addition, the humps are now replaced with ditches in few spots due to over enthusiastic hump removal. Exercise caution when passing the barriers.
SunnyBoi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 15:42   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Negatives:
1. Only one lane of vehicles can pass through.
I feel converting 2 lane traffic into single lane (by creating bottleneck) will slow down traffic more than speed-breakers.

PS: Bangalore-Mysore stretch is choked. It will be converted to 6 lane in next 2 years. But that won't be sufficient. It must be 10 lanes - 6 lanes for cars, buses, trucks, 2 lane for two-wheelers & 2 service road/breakdown lane with shoulder for tractors, bullock carts.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 11:15   #465
Senior - BHPian

Good news!

The area around all speed-humps-converted-to-barriers between Mysore and Srirangapatna have been tarred fresh! I counted 3 on the way.

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150526_062603001.jpg

Both sides tarred

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150526_062604001.jpg

The second of the three tarred barriers was a huge ditch and I heard a loud thud when I went past it on Thursday evening.

I'm really glad this time the replacement for speed humps are being done properly - barriers are not the perfect solution but hey, atleast they are trying out alternatives!

Spotted a smashed barrier as well - Not sure if they are long lasting

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150526_063358001.jpg

OTOH Couple fo slow rumblers outside Channapatna have been replaced with a single massive hump and my car scraped on one of them despite inching on it

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 26th May 2015 at 11:16.
SunnyBoi is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks