Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 14:55   #61
BHPian

re: Brand new ANHC or used Civic to keep for 10 years. Edit: Got a 2007 Honda Civic

Just in! ANHC prices slashed to 7.5 lakhs ex showroom! All the more reason to buy a new honda city. God bless competition!
Old 14th June 2011, 17:49   #62
BHPian

re: Brand new ANHC or used Civic to keep for 10 years. Edit: Got a 2007 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Dear all,
thank you for your responses but frankly i am still a bit confused.In general usually used cars have some small niggles but i guess i can try for a used civic first.I will be lucky if i get something like GTO , if not Honda city e MT it is.

You can tell me which car will have the brand value of a Honda and will be relatively trouble free and have lower maintainance for the next 10 years and i would consider it.I do not like the looks of the Toyota's and don't want a hatch back.
Mitsubishi is the answer. For 10 you can now get a new Cedia Sports.

Just my two pence!
Old 14th June 2011, 17:56   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom barabar! View Post
Just in! ANHC prices slashed to 7.5 lakhs ex showroom! All the more reason to buy a new honda city. God bless competition!
Thanks for the info! Great news, this is. Lets see how VW and Hyundai react!

PS: Wonder how they plan to sell the Jazz at 7.12 when the City sells for 7.5! Maybe the Jazz will see some much required price cuts as well.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:12   #64
BHPian

Hi,

I would go for a New City. 10 years is a long time. With a new car, you get 4 years warranty straight. That's 4 years of peace of mind without bothering too much about expensive part costs and unexpected failures.
However reliable Honda maybe, it is a machine and someday, something is going to fail.

And though the Civic is clearly a much better car , it is a segment higher. You should consider that spares are going to be more expensive than similar parts for a City.
Service and Labour may be the same, it is the spares that I refer to.
With the new prices, the City may seem a bit more attractive now.
This is hearsay: is the City not supposed to be more fuel efficient than Civic? Of course, with low usage this may not be a deal maker, but in these times of ever rising costs, every drop saved counts.

My 2 bits.

Regards,
Old 14th June 2011, 20:27   #65
BHPian

Well, now since Honda has slashed the prices of city by upto 66,000 , it makes sense to go for one right away.

Prices of Honda City reduced - Honda City prices reduced - News : Overdrive
Old 15th June 2011, 11:36   #66
BHPian

Hi Sumeet,
The charm of a brand new car with spanking new interiors-exteriors and the fragrance of new plastic is simply unmatched. I have always gone head over heels being seated in my brand new cars. I always find a reason to sit and drive it continuously.
You're spending a fortune of your hard earned money and planning to keep your new ride for 10 long years after 14 years of driving your current car. I would strongly suggest you to go for ANHC and be satisfied and proud of your new ride rather then being worried about the niggles of a driven car, how it would have been used and perceived issues. not a peaceful state of mind I feel after spending a fortune and when the difference between 2 cars is not exceptionally large for e.g. new hatch or used Civic.
Go in for a Brand New ANHC and see the difference in your happiness Quotient

My 2 cents !!
Old 15th June 2011, 11:45   #67
BHPian

A brand new City makes even more sense now with the recent price cut. I guess the Honda guys have been reading your posts on TBHP
Old 15th June 2011, 12:56   #68
Senior - BHPian

Just spoke to our dealer,
and according to him the free insurance offered earlier is no longer available.
So basically the discounts were anyways being offered earlier ~ i managed to knock of 50K and 20K free accessories so a total of 70K
It's only now that they are being made public.
So if i do switch over to the new offer i would only get 50K off.
But loose out on the 20K free accessories ~ So basically the previous unofficial discounts are better than the newer official ones.
Will be speaking the other dealer in Pune and find out what they have to offer.
Old 15th June 2011, 16:17   #69
Team-BHP Support

Hah! For all those who thought they struck gold with this price reduction.

It is just that henceforth, it will be Honda, not the dealers, taking the credit for the discounts.

But very very bad - no Honda loyalty discount; that has been there since ages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Just spoke to our dealer,
and according to him the free insurance offered earlier is no longer available.
So basically the previous unofficial discounts are better than the newer official ones.
Guess your best option is to continue with the pre-reduction offer.
Old 15th June 2011, 16:48   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hah! For all those who thought they struck gold with this price reduction.

It is just that henceforth, it will be Honda, not the dealers, taking the credit for the discounts.

But very very bad - no Honda loyalty discount; that has been there since ages!

Guess your best option is to continue with the pre-reduction offer.
Tell me about. I too think Honda Loyalty discount removal is a horrible horrible move.

OT : Looks like we Librans think alike, since we end up on the same thread and almost always have back to back posts. I LIKE!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 17:10   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tell me about. I too think Honda Loyalty discount removal is a horrible horrible move.
I have friends in Delhi and other parts of NCR who have 3 generations of the ANHC; all because of the Honda badge and of course the loyalty discount. (Up north, a lot of people end up obsessed with 1 brand. If they have a 800, they'll have 2/3 in the same house; same with Santro and City)

The loyalty discount is surely not a thing Honda should have traded on.

Quote:
OT : Looks like we Librans think alike, since we end up on the same thread and almost always have back to back posts. I LIKE!
Looks good!
Old 15th June 2011, 18:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The loyalty discount is surely not a thing Honda should have traded on.
I thought that the loyalty bonus is in fact provided by the dealer and not the company. Even if they are not providing any discounts, insurance etcetera, I am sure they will start doing the same as soon as the festive season starts after a couple of months.

I guess even before this price reduction dealers were supported by the company for the discounts they were offering as I think the dealer cannot afford to provide such heavy discounts on their own. They can off course offer few freebies on their own like the body cover.

OT - I am too a Libran.

Last edited by bluevolt : 15th June 2011 at 18:30.
Old 15th June 2011, 18:44   #73

Hi Sumeet,

My choice would be to go for a used Civic. My current car is the 4th used car that I have owned and I can without hesistation say that it has always turned out to be a brilliant and sensible decision. The # 1 advantage is that you can buy a car which belongs to a higher segment and thus enjoy in most cases a better ride, more comfort etc. The # 2 advantage is that you are protected to an extent from the depreciation that immediately starts eating into the value of a brand new car as soon as it rolls out of the showroom. The # 3 advantage is you can sell after 3 years and buy a different and better (used) car!

Ofcourse, that's my practical view. But, I would argue that even your emotional needs should be be taken care of, given that you would be buying a higher segment car.. except the point that you would miss out on the smell of a new car (which probably lasts just for a month ).

Regarding keeping the car for 10 years, I would say all the more reason why you should buy a Civic. look at it from another perspective - why not go for a better quality car when you intend to keep it for that long? You will enjoy it much more!
Old 16th June 2011, 11:03   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhay_D View Post
Hi Sumeet,

My choice would be to go for a used Civic. My current car is the 4th used car that I have owned and I can without hesistation say that it has always turned out to be a brilliant and sensible decision. The # 1 advantage is that you can buy a car which belongs to a higher segment and thus enjoy in most cases a better ride, more comfort etc. The # 2 advantage is that you are protected to an extent from the depreciation that immediately starts eating into the value of a brand new car as soon as it rolls out of the showroom. The # 3 advantage is you can sell after 3 years and buy a different and better (used) car!

Ofcourse, that's my practical view. But, I would argue that even your emotional needs should be be taken care of, given that you would be buying a higher segment car.. except the point that you would miss out on the smell of a new car (which probably lasts just for a month ).

Regarding keeping the car for 10 years, I would say all the more reason why you should buy a Civic. look at it from another perspective - why not go for a better quality car when you intend to keep it for that long? You will enjoy it much more!
Agreed, its mind over heart but in love and cars I feel its the heart which should prevail (my emotional view) unless there is a big difference but ANHC and Civic are too close and the time span is too long.
IMO, depreciation equation can be ruled out as its a question of 10 years after which you don't tend to worry about the resale, definitely Yes, if its 3-4 years horizon.
Smell of plastic is one factor of the overall sense of achievement and pride but the peace of mind is something unmatched. I always find my heart and mind drifting ways while I decide on my car and somehow for me my heart dominates
Old 18th June 2011, 13:46   #75
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys here's the deal.Went to look at a used civic today.Drove one for the 1st time.Heck i had'nt driven any other car except the 800 in the
last 12 years.
I have listed some of the pros and cons.I have more or less settled at 6.8 as the price.Its 's Feb 2007 model.

Pros:
Good condition.
~ 36500 Kms on the ODO
Current owner had changed front brake pads
Showed the car to my mechanic and he inspected the same and said that the car is in good shape and i can go ahead.He mentioned the clutch
is a little weak but will do.He checked for accident repairs etc and gave the car a clean chit.
The suspension seemed firm and not bouncy.
Tyres seem to have a decent tread life.
All systems like a/c , audio,power windows etc are functional
Cons:
Insurance has expired.
The car is still in the name of the 1st owner but signed papers are present and was shown the same.
Also the car is registered in Thane so may have to pay Octroi to get it over to mumbai.
So as far techinicality is concerned the car is sound , only on the legality i am unsure.
So please let me know your comments/suggestions for the same.

thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks