Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 13:56   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Brand new ANHC or used Civic to keep for 10 years. Edit: Got a 2007 Honda Civic

Will you be 2nd or 3rd owner? What variant is it?

Do go thru' : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2396647

It'll give you a perspective of price/condition/variant.

You could use the expired Insurance to get a sweeter deal.
Old 18th June 2011, 14:37   #77
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Brand new ANHC or used Civic to keep for 10 years. Edit: Got a 2007 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Will you be 2nd or 3rd owner?
Interesting question.

I think technically he will be the second owner. If the RC was not changed to the second (current) owner, then it means that the first owner was the legal owner all these time.
Old 18th June 2011, 15:10   #78
Senior - BHPian

Legally i will be the second owner but in real i will be the third.Also with around 36K on the odo i noticed the Honda logo on the steering had faded and also the gear shift had some fade marks on the same.Is this ok for a 4 year civic and 36k on odo.

thanks

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 18th June 2011 at 15:12.
Old 18th June 2011, 19:48   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Legally i will be the second owner but in real i will be the third.Also with around 36K on the odo i noticed the Honda logo on the steering had faded and also the gear shift had some fade marks on the same.Is this ok for a 4 year civic and 36k on odo.

thanks
sumeeth, its normal to have fade/scratch marks in the interiors especially on power window switch consoles. even my car with 22K on odo had scratched logo on the steering wheel. I am replacing it with Type R Red H logo. If the internals and accident history are clean. you may go for it. All the best
autofreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 08:47   #80
Senior - BHPian

A good 3M full interior cleaning does wonders.
Also small things like the steering logo can easily be replaced and won't cost much either.
Do haggle on the account of expired insurance.
Old 19th June 2011, 22:21   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
A good 3M full interior cleaning does wonders.
Also small things like the steering logo can easily be replaced and won't cost much either.
Do haggle on the account of expired insurance.
Got the price down from the asking 6.95 to 6.85 for the insurance.
Old 20th June 2011, 09:16   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the price down from the asking 6.95 to 6.85 for the insurance.
And there you go, good on you mate!
did you check to see how much the insurance renewal would come to?
what if it's more than 10K? you can haggle it down a little more then.
something like 6.80L
Good luck!
Old 20th June 2011, 09:31   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar

thanks
Re steering logo, my 2 yr 25,000 civic logo is good as new. I suspect the fade may be on account of constant contact at the centre while honking if that's how the previous user was using the horn. It's quite easy to press it on the side and honk avoiding all contact with the logo. In my experience, Scratch marks are not at all unusual for frequent contact points. For instance where all the switches are located at the drivers right side arm rest is a typical area full of scratches. My car suffers from this as well and I've seen it in many other pre-owned civics. Same goes for gear shift as well. I don't think it's something to worry or fuss about.
Old 20th June 2011, 09:44   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofreak View Post
sumeeth, its normal to have fade/scratch marks in the interiors especially on power window switch consoles. even my car with 22K on odo had scratched logo on the steering wheel. I am replacing it with Type R Red H logo. If the internals and accident history are clean. you may go for it. All the best
One thing I have noticed about Civic is, it has few interior parts which are 'painted plastics'. If these are the parts which come in contact with hands (like the power window controls), the layer tends wear off to show the black plastic beneath (just like what happens in some mobile phone bodies).
Old 20th June 2011, 12:26   #85
Senior - BHPian

I have noted that how much ever one is careful in handling these parts, there is one part that will definitely show signs of paint peeling off which is the hand brake lever button. Everytime the button is pressed to engage/release the parking brake, it rubs against the interiors of the lever and hence paint wear is inevitable.
Old 20th June 2011, 21:30   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok guys here's the deal.Went to look at a used civic today.Drove one for the 1st time.Heck i had'nt driven any other car except the 800 in the
last 12 years.
I have listed some of the pros and cons.I have more or less settled at 6.8 as the price.Its 's Feb 2007 model.

Pros:
Good condition.
~ 36500 Kms on the ODO
Current owner had changed front brake pads
Showed the car to my mechanic and he inspected the same and said that the car is in good shape and i can go ahead.He mentioned the clutch
is a little weak but will do.He checked for accident repairs etc and gave the car a clean chit.
The suspension seemed firm and not bouncy.
Tyres seem to have a decent tread life.
All systems like a/c , audio,power windows etc are functional
Cons:
Insurance has expired.
The car is still in the name of the 1st owner but signed papers are present and was shown the same.
Also the car is registered in Thane so may have to pay Octroi to get it over to mumbai.
So as far techinicality is concerned the car is sound , only on the legality i am unsure.
So please let me know your comments/suggestions for the same.

thanks
Guys I am in a fix.On one hand i have the above mentioned car and on the other i looked at another car on sale by a dealer 2007 model,single owner, ~30k on the ODO.Now the good part of this second vehicle is that the car seems to be in good shape,seems to have new tyres (could smell the fresh rubber) interiors are in good shape, clutch felt better than the 1st car, asking price 7.2

On the downside the dealer wouldn't allow a test drive,doubt my mechanic would come over to where the car is (he is bandra car is in andheri)so that leaves me only to inspect the vehicle.Dealer even insists on token just to for a test drive.

Problem with 1st car is that i may have to pay octroi pushing my total price to 7.3. w.r.t the second car seems better as i could haggle with the dealer to reduce the price but there is doubt of

1-Some major expense lurking as i am not allowed to test drive
2-Dont know if car is legit or not though did see some photocopied papers.
3-No warranty
4-No insurace again like 1st car

So guys what do you think shall i go for the second car?

thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 21:35   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Problem with 1st car is that i may have to pay octroi pushing my total price to 7.3. w.r.t the second car seems better as i could haggle with the dealer to reduce the price but there is doubt of

3-No warranty

That is strange! Either the dealer is dead sure that he will get the price he wants (unlikely) or the car has undergone some major trouble. Booking amount for a TD?! That is not how business is done!

And apart from the supposedly new tyres and 6k kms less, you are not getting anything better on this car. The price too is the same.

I think you should stick to car 1 and/or keep looking.
Old 20th June 2011, 22:28   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I am in a fix.On one hand i have the above mentioned car and on the other i looked at another car on sale by a dealer 2007 model,single owner, ~30k on the ODO.Now the good part of this second vehicle is that the car seems to be in good shape,seems to have new tyres (could smell the fresh rubber) interiors are in good shape, clutch felt better than the 1st car, asking price 7.2

On the downside the dealer wouldn't allow a test drive,doubt my mechanic would come over to where the car is (he is bandra car is in andheri)so that leaves me only to inspect the vehicle.Dealer even insists on token just to for a test drive.

3-No warranty

thanks
Dear, With a ten lakh budget and a mind set of not changing cars frequently (as you said you owned a Maruti for eight years?), you are pushing for buying a second hand car. Surprising that very few advise you go for a brand new car. IMHO, In my humble opinion, with this budget, one should look at only new cars. The market is buyers market, choices are wide open. Some hard thinking and open mind is necessary. I do not feel bad to say that I am the only one to call the emperor nude.
Old 21st June 2011, 20:38   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I am in a fix.On one hand i have the above mentioned car and on the other i looked at another car on sale by a dealer 2007 model,single owner, ~30k on the ODO.
=============

thanks
Hi Sumeet,
We take umpteen trails of jeans and shirts which we buy in malls that hardly costs any thing and here, your hard earned money being spent on a car which you are not allowed to test drive is a BIG MISTAKE. As rightly said by a fellow BHPian..its a Buyer's market..go ahead and buy any new car available in your budget and live, drive and enjoy tension free
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:42   #90
Senior - BHPian

In my experience of over 40 years, the pointers to a fishy vehicles, spruced up by dealers are
- New Tyres
- New Battery
- Shiny exterior
- Lack of proper papers

That and refusal to give a TD is a dead ringer for a mechanically unsound vehicle. For all you know the vehicle could be accidental. Stay away from such deals, unless you know the seller intimately. When you buy a pre owed vehicle, you are at the mercy of the dealer and his glib tongue.

As other have commented, with this budget, you should save up some more and get a new vehicle, especially if you want to keep it for ten years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks