Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 23:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Automatic below 16 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
Congrats Vinj on your quick decision and purchase. When are you getting the delivery? Also, please do tell us about your booking experience. BTW, if you don't mind where are you located? Me too had a TD of Laura last week, great to drive. I was driving an AT for the first time and had a mistake by abrupt braking. My both legs were on the break pedal in an instance when I had to do abrupt braking . Fortunately, there were no vehicles behind me (I took off last from the previous signal), from there took care enough not to repeat that. Driving was really good, space not that good in my opinion and not that interested with the rear seat & interiors when I compare it with the money that I have to shell out. Almost kicked out from my list. Kindly do post your booking/ taking delivery & initial ownership experiences. This will definitely help me in coming to a conclusion.
Sure will. I should be getting the car sometime in the first week of july. I loved the car when i test drove it. For me the car size is perfect. Easy to maneauvre around in the city , especially in traffic laden areas. Thats the same reason i'm going for the automatic version. If you want a car that really that can turn into a beast on the highways and still make your city driving a headache free, pleasurable experience then this is the car for you! I was looking for a mid-sized diesel car with a powerful engine, automatic transmission, quality interiors and good fuel economy and the laura dsg fulfilled all my criterias.
The chevy cruze AT comes close but i really hated the interiors of the car (looked very cheap and had too much happening!!) and the engine is no where close to the laura dsg.
It really comes down to what you look for in a car . For me rear seats, rear leg room, etc arent really important. But if these things are important to you maybe you should wait till august end for the launch of the new jetta. Heard its bigger than the current gen jetta and is supposed to be loaded with features.
Old 6th March 2012, 01:25   #32
BHPian

12 to 14L - Automatic option for City Driving

Hello Folks,
I have been entrusted by my girlfriend's father to help pick his new car so I can't screw this one up!

So here goes - This car is going to replace his 12 year old OHC Automatic. He already has an Accord automatic which is only chauffeur driven and this is his second smaller car that he drives himself in Bombay traffic. Honda has served him very well in the past and he is keen on getting another City, though I have recommended that he try another make.

Typically, I always suggest that one should drive / ride in a car and pick the one that seems the most comfortable and apt for their requirements, but in this case he has no inclination in going through the evaluation process at all. He simply wants me to make a recommendation and help him get the car.

So I will try and put myself in someone who is in his late 60's, over 6 feet tall and is looking for convenience and getting from point A to B in comfort.

Cars short listed
None Yet. But as far as I know the auto options in the given range would be:
1. Honda City
2. Hyundai Verna
3. Suzuki SX4
4. Ford Fiesta
5. VW Vento \ Skoda Rapid
6. Toyota Corolla
7. Chevy Cruze
8. Suzuki Dzire

Price range
On-road: 12L to 14L

Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations
Being Bombay, I think almost dealers (Save Skoda) have good A.S.S support. Not too worried on this front but something that is light on the pocket to maintain in the long run would be a big plus since he is retired and would like to keep unexpected expenses down to a minimum.

Average distance traveled per month
<500kms

Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc)
City only. Specifically, South of the Sea Link so dense traffic but overall smooth roads.

Chauffer driven / self driven
80:20 split in favor of self driven

Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family
Not really. No one else in the family drives (Though I am hoping to change that by encouraging my girlfriend to start pottering about on short runs).

Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort)
1. Boot should be large enough to fit a golf bag.
2. Should have good ergonomics and ingress / egress. Higher seating would be a plus. He is older so it would be a big boon if the car is comfortable.
3. Spacious front seats - He is 6Ft 2 and has a wide frame. Supportive front seats and an airy cabin will be appreciated.

How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you)
5 to 7 years. I think it's safe to say that AT + Petrol Pricing (Projected at Rs. 300 plus your first born) + Age of the car at time of disposal will lead to poor resale. So not really expecting anything.

My take on the listed models
1. Honda City - The safe bet. It's the most logical choice but I am recommending that he tries something different.
2. Hyundai Verna - My favorite so far. Driven a friend's and I think it's a really good city car exuding quality and creature comforts. Only downer is the 3 month wait in Maximum City.
3. Suzuki SX4 - My folks have one and they love it because of the tall seating and ease of ingress \ egress. However, it's a bit dated now - In another 5 years, it will be a 10 year old model since launch.
4. Ford Fiesta - Tech wise this sounds great. Though I am not sure if the quirky design will sit well with him.
5. VW Vento \ Skoda Rapid - I personally found both cars cramped when I drove them a few months ago. Also, a German AT might get unreasonable to maintain in the long run.
6. Toyota Corolla - The new lower AT pricing is tempting but I am afraid that this may be a bit to big for his needs.
7. Chevy Cruze - I think the AT will overshoot his budget by a lakh. Plus with his mileage, he doesn't need a diesel.
8. Suzuki Dzire - The boot is too small for his golf set so this is out.
9. Used Option - Thought about this but since he wants something small - doesn't make sense in getting a pre-owned AT (A 320d would have been delicious for when I get to drive the car on occasion - Anyway, I digress. Plus I think he would not appreciate the hassles of maintaining a second hand car no matter how pre-worshiped.
10. Other options - Am I missing anything? New launches around the corner perhaps?

I plan on driving some cars this weekend and then making my recommendation, but any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
V
Old 6th March 2012, 02:13   #33
BHPian

Re: 12 to 14L - Automatic option for City Driving

Hi V,

You have thought this through very nicely. I generally agree with you and here is my take.

At his age, I would stay away from Verna, Fiesta and all Marutis. I may consider the Corolla, but then it is not a small car. Same problem with Cruze and I would not like the aggressive looks on that one.

My third choice would be the Honda City. It is good, proven and no need say anything but I feel it is time to move on to the Germans and experience that too.

My second choice would be a Skoda Rapid. While Skoda had service issues since their overall numbers were small, with the advent of Fabia and Rapid their numbers are steadily going up. I am hoping that their service will get more and more reliable and reasonable as their overall numbers swell.

My first choice would be a good, solid, sophisticated looking VW Vento even if it is a bit more expensive that the Rapid. The Germans are small on the inside but I believe that you are getting the best engineering in the world. And I feel that once you use them, they will most certainly grow on you.

Enjoy the selection process!

Cheers!
Old 6th March 2012, 08:02   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

The Honda City AT would be your safest bet since it is a 2012 model.

Since Big Daddy has already used a OHC for over a decade,I am sure he'd have a certain confidence in this brand ;hence it makes even more sense.
Old 6th March 2012, 10:52   #35
BHPian

Honda City is the obvious choice but i must warn you the ingress/egress might be an issue with some people. My father finds in much more easier to get in and out of our swift/liva and he is only 5ft 7 inches.

Did you think of the scorpio auto?
Old 6th March 2012, 11:13   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the Corolla Altis AT now available in lower G trim as well. But for sure more expensive than 14 lac on the road.

Honda City V AT with optional sunroof is also a cool and safe option.

If you can stretch your budget a bit get the Skoda Laura 2.0 Crdi DSG. Best gearbox in this class period.

Vento/ Rapid are petrol only and the engine lacks low end punch. Cruze AT is not that great from what I hear.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:22   #37
BANNED

I will also plump for the City. A superb package.

Older folk tend to become finicky about the fuel consumption so the Corolla may not be the way to go. I had a 70+ person complaining that the Camry AT is giving only 6-6.5 kpl in town, even though I had warned him earlier about it.

The only issue (indeed with most modern cars) is rear visibility. So short list and ask him to check whether he is happy with the car on this account.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

I think I will suggest the Verna for him. It ticks all the boxes for him. If you are fine with the waiting period (I think its less for Petrol version), then you should go with it.

Another thing is, I would ask you to test drive the Optra too. Its spacious on the inside and powerful, but its aging is taking toll on the car and sadly, no automatic variant. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, in here everyone will give a different opinion, as the options are very diverse and everyone has a taste in this segment. Better add a poll

Last edited by _raVan_ : 6th March 2012 at 11:52.
Old 6th March 2012, 12:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Once you have tried Honda, i have seen the customers keep coming back, there are many in my friends circle and apartment who once tried Honda have stuck to them.

With that said, do try other cars as well, but looking at usage and age among other factors i would say City is a strong contender. My brother just bought one, an Automatic, when i drove it felt awesome, its a gem to drive in the City with bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 6th March 2012, 12:29   #40
BHPian

If you are looking at pre-owned consider scorpio AT
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../Scorpio.html/

Suits all your needs, dont have to worry about the roads and is well within you budget.
Old 6th March 2012, 12:30   #41
Senior - BHPian

I agree that the Honda City is the safest bet. Now the question is whether you want to agree with him or show him an out of the box option?!
I assume he is not considering a hatchback, though the options there are even mroe limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Honda City V AT with optional sunroof is also a cool and safe option.
If you can stretch your budget a bit get the Skoda Laura 2.0 Crdi DSG. Best gearbox in this class period.

Vento/ Rapid are petrol only and the engine lacks low end punch. Cruze AT is not that great from what I hear.
Noop, considering where and how much the car will be driven, I think the Vento/ Rapid would probably be better options?
And ye recommending a Skoda in Mumbai, ooh risky one that!
Old 6th March 2012, 13:07   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Hello Folks,
I have been entrusted by my girlfriend's father to help pick his new car so I can't screw this one up!
This itself keeps you away from skoda. Although i dont have any preconceived notions regarding the brands, i just got reading with the thread over the ac and fuse failure of a brand new laura.

- Considering your requirements, the altis or the city would be the best buy consider the relaibility and the upkeep factors.

Even though the altis is a bigger car to drive, it will surely compensate with its upmarket feel and understated looks.

- Personally i wouldn't select the verna because of its fragile and cheap looking interiors, or the fiesta whose looks i just cant stand ! (no offence meant)

Alas, i guess your floating on thin ice with this buy and it ought to be right !
Old 6th March 2012, 13:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Are you not considering the Scorpio A/T?

I dont know how many would agree, but believe it or not, I actually find an SUV to be far more comfortable to drive in city traffic than a low slung sedan.

You get good all round visibility, dont have to crouch to get in & out, can gobble up potholes if any & the front seats in the Scorpio with the armrests are just AMAZING, much better than the City, Vento & the Verna. A diesel motor is an additional advantage with the rising costs of petrol.

If SUVs are a strict no-no, then I would recommend you a Cruze (which wont fit in this budget) followed by Verna.

Overall, Scorpio A/T is worth a dekho.
Old 6th March 2012, 14:26   #44
BHPian

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Still processing the information. My replies below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post
My first choice would be a good, solid, sophisticated looking VW Vento even if it is a bit more expensive that the Rapid. The Germans are small on the inside but I believe that you are getting the best engineering in the world. And I feel that once you use them, they will most certainly grow on you.
I like the Vento. Respectable car but my concerns revolve around long term reliability and cost of maintainence 5 years out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The Honda City AT would be your safest bet since it is a 2012 model.
This is the backup option for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Honda City is the obvious choice but i must warn you the ingress/egress might be an issue with some people.
Yes, I too have heard ingress/egress complaints. This is another reason why the City is on the back burner For now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Get the Corolla Altis AT now available in lower G trim as well. But for sure more expensive than 14 lac on the road.

Don't need a diesel. His running is less than 500km per month. I am also leaning towards the Altis G. 13.7 ex showroom - maybe with some negotiation, can get it closer to the outer limit? But more importantly, he needs to be okay with the size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Older folk tend to become finicky about the fuel consumption so the Corolla may not be the way to go. I had a 70+ person complaining that the Camry AT is giving only 6-6.5 kpl in town, even though I had warned him earlier about it.
He's currently okay with the 6kpl that his Accord Automatic gives him. Comfort and convenience for this self drive option is what matters. Also I believe the Corolla has a CVT which returns 9 to 10 in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I think I will suggest the Verna for him. It ticks all the boxes for him. If you are fine with the waiting period (I think its less for Petrol version), then you should go with it.

Another thing is, I would ask you to test drive the Optra too. Its spacious on the inside and powerful, but its aging is taking toll on the car and sadly, no automatic variant. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The Verna is my favorite of the bunch but the wait is 3 months across all models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Once you have tried Honda, i have seen the customers keep coming back, there are many in my friends circle and apartment who once tried Honda have stuck to them.
True. But since he already has one Honda in the garage, I thought it might be fun for him to try something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
If you are looking at pre-owned consider scorpio AT

Suits all your needs, dont have to worry about the roads and is well within you budget.
The Scorpio is out. Too big, diesel, not very refined and tough to get in and out of. Not worried about the roads - Luckily, South Bombay has some smooth surfaces that does not need an offroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I agree that the Honda City is the safest bet. Now the question is whether you want to agree with him or show him an out of the box option?!
I assume he is not considering a hatchback, though the options there are even mroe limited.
Hatch is out since they can't accommodate a golf bag comfortably. Honestly, he is very hands off in this process - I just want to make sure that he is happy with the purchase over the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
Even though the altis is a bigger car to drive, it will surely compensate with its upmarket feel and understated looks.

- Personally i wouldn't select the verna because of its fragile and cheap looking interiors, or the fiesta whose looks i just cant stand ! (no offence meant)

Alas, i guess your floating on thin ice with this buy and it ought to be right !
Right you are about making the prudent choice! Upmarket feel is not a criterion per say since he already uses an Accord which is built well. This is the self drive to golf in the morning or go out to dinner option.

I am surprised you found the Verna interiors cheap. I thought it was the best of the bunch with perforated leather seats, nice quality plastics and chunky switchgear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Are you not considering the Scorpio A/T?

If SUVs are a strict no-no, then I would recommend you a Cruze (which wont fit in this budget) followed by Verna.

Overall, Scorpio A/T is worth a dekho.
Diesels are out. The amount he would spend on the Capital would be difficult to make up through his negligible running. As explained to 2500cc above, SUVs are not being considered (Another point is that his second car has to be parked on the street and the lane is quite narrow spit will be difficult to maneuver.)
Old 6th March 2012, 14:38   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
So I will try and put myself in someone who is in his late 60's, over 6 feet tall and is looking for convenience and getting from point A to B in comfort.

Cars short listed
None Yet. But as far as I know the auto options in the given range would be:
1. Honda City
2. Hyundai Verna
3. Suzuki SX4
4. Ford Fiesta
5. VW Vento \ Skoda Rapid
6. Toyota Corolla
7. Chevy Cruze
8. Suzuki Dzire
Corolla Altis looks like the ideal option (not sure if it will fit in the said budget). My second suggestion is the Fiesta AT. It may be a bit funky for the age, but with a good front seat, dual clutch transmission, and added safety features like ESP, it’s worth doing a TD.
And if there is an option to stretch the budget further, Renault Fluence E4 petrol is another good one to consider.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks