Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2012, 15:15   #121
BHPian

I need another favor now. I found Jetta and Laura better in terms of driving thrill than Fluence which was equal to these in terms of equipment and interior quality though. Now I need to know is automatic shift worth the extra money for a person like me who feels at home with a manual shifts which I have driven for last 10yrs (I know it's a decision for me to make having test driven all these vehicles but all the same need your thoughts on this). I drive in city in most of the time but mostly not needing multiple stop / go. I go for long highway drives few times in an year and enjoy my driving. I also guess if I go for Laura, I better go with an automatic as I get a 140bhp there vs 110 of MT. I need your valuable inputs reg MT Vs AT Jetta where both have same power. As far as Fluence is concerned, I don't have a choice there. Will go with E4 diesel there which is an MT
Old 5th August 2012, 16:00   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb
I need another favor now. I found Jetta and Laura better in terms of driving thrill than Fluence which was equal to these in terms of equipment and interior quality though. Now I need to know is automatic shift worth the extra money for a person like me who feels at home with a manual shifts which I have driven for last 10yrs (I know it's a decision for me to make having test driven all these vehicles but all the same need your thoughts on this). I drive in city in most of the time but mostly not needing multiple stop / go. I go for long highway drives few times in an year and enjoy my driving. I also guess if I go for Laura, I better go with an automatic as I get a 140bhp there vs 110 of MT. I need your valuable inputs reg MT Vs AT Jetta where both have same power. As far as Fluence is concerned, I don't have a choice there. Will go with E4 diesel there which is an MT
Both Jetta and Laura are good machines, and it really boils down to your personal preferences and brand affinity. Here are my thoughts:

1) AT: I will recommend the Laura L&K over the Jetta highline AT. The former is better kitted - genuine leather seats, ACC, memory seats etc.). And on the Laura, you may get some discounts as well. Both cars are almost identical on the safety front as well.

2) MT: Jetta Comfortline/Highline > Fluence E4D > Laura. With the Jetta you get more powerful engine, and best in class safety. Fluence is quite VFM for the host of features in offer, and you will have quite a bit of spare cash in comparison with the Jetta.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 19:32   #123
BHPian

Re: The ever-ELUSIVE "perfect car" for 10 - 14 lakh rupees!

Today I test drove a MT Laura. Solid build, spacious interiors, comfortable seats, phenomenal acceleration, excellent handling abilities. Awsome brakes too. Also on offer is 70K discount on OTR price. Now my issue is L& K with all bells and whistles is 24L but Elegance AT is at 21.73L. An attraction here is I can get my AT at a lower price unlike Jetta which has AT only with HL version. So basically if I opt for AT, Laura Elegance AT seems to be value for money. If MT , then Laura is at OTR 20.6 where as Jetta is 22 odd L for HL. My question here is 6 speed DSG of Laura with its 2.0 L TDI engine is equivalent to VW DSG box and 2.0 L engine in quality both being from same parent company? Also with Laura I have this skoda Shield which offers additional 3rd and 4th yr warranty / 1L Kms. VW people say they have only 2 yr warranty and not extendable. Is this correct?

Last edited by dezrskb : 7th August 2012 at 19:33. Reason: to add another line
Old 7th August 2012, 19:51   #124
BHPian

Vb-san,
I saw your reply after I had posted my thoughts. Your reply does answer few of my questions. My only remaining doubt is can we expect the quality of DSG box in both Jetta and Laura to be the same? I will have genuine leather seats with Laura whereas its leatherette in Jetta. The Jetta interior color appears to be a maintenance nightmare to me. Its very light beigre / creamish
Old 7th August 2012, 20:22   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Vb-san,
I saw your reply after I had posted my thoughts. Your reply does answer few of my questions. My only remaining doubt is can we expect the quality of DSG box in both Jetta and Laura to be the same? I will have genuine leather seats with Laura whereas its leatherette in Jetta. The Jetta interior color appears to be a maintenance nightmare to me. Its very light beigre / creamish
From what I know, both the cars have the same 6-speed DSG box. The leatherette in Jetta is also of pretty good quality. And it is getting quite common nowadays – even in cars like Mercedes and Audi

Saw your post above as well. If you are considering the Laura MT, I would recommend to check the Fluence E4D again. Much better equipped – ESP, extra airbags, sunblinds, bluetooth etc.
Old 7th August 2012, 20:37   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
From what I know, both the cars have the same 6-speed DSG box. The leatherette in Jetta is also of pretty good quality. And it is getting quite common nowadays – even in cars like Mercedes and Audi

Saw your post above as well. If you are considering the Laura MT, I would recommend to check the Fluence E4D again. Much better equipped – ESP, extra airbags, sunblinds, bluetooth etc.
Hi vb-San,
My issue was not exactly leatherette but it's color which seems to need more time and attention. You are right on Fluence. A decent package in diesel MT. I test drove the older engine E2D at showroom which seemed to be having the turbo lag till almost 2k. They re-assured me it has been taken care of in newer 110ps engine but yet to test drive one. Looks more modern than Laura. build too seems to be sturdy. It's definitely in consideration. My preference list too runs as you mentioned. Waiting to see Elantra in flesh as I'm not in any great hurry
dezrskb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 23:55   #127
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to use the vehicle primarily in Udipi then a MT will do just fine. An AT would be useful for tackling miles of crawling traffic every day in cities like Hyderabad, Bangalore, Bombay or Delhi etc. That's my take.

Quote:
Now I need to know is automatic shift worth the extra money for a person like me who feels at home with a manual shifts which I have driven for last 10yrs (I know it's a decision for me to make having test driven all these vehicles but all the same need your thoughts on this). I drive in city in most of the time but mostly not needing multiple stop / go. I go for long highway drives few times in an year and enjoy my driving.
Old 8th August 2012, 21:38   #128
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Thanks for your input khoj,
If at all I buy a manual it wont be because I want to rabbit start from a traffic light or for super enthusiastic racing on highway overtaking whatever comes in my way. It will be because I'm used to manual and may remain comfortable with a manual whole my life (though you may say I dont know what I am missing till I own an AT). It will also be because statistically DSG seems to fail bit more frequently than a manual and I cant imagine that happening on a long drive with my family in middle of nowhere and with fewer service centers than Maruti / Hyndai. Can anybody guess what is the failure rate of a 6 speed DSG over next 5 years? But also now that there is a Skoda shield, they are supposed to take care of warranty till 4 yrs ( of 1,00,000 Kms which I doubt whether I will be able to complete)

Santhoshbhat,
Your Laura is Diesel ? Petrol ? AT? MT?

Last edited by GTO : 9th August 2012 at 13:18. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 9th August 2012, 09:04   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can anybody guess what is the failure rate of a 6 speed DSG over next 5 years? But also now that there is a Skoda shield, they are supposed to take care of warranty till 4 yrs ( of 1,00,000 Kms which I doubt whether I will be able to complete)
Failure cases of 6-speed DSG is minimal. That said, I don’t think anyone can project the failure rate for next 5 years. One key point you should consider is the competency of the dealer/ASC in your place. In small towns, normally you don’t have options to switch ASC, and hence this parameter should be one key driver in the decision making process.

Quote:
Santhoshbhat,
Your Laura is Diesel ? Petrol ? AT? MT?
Santosh got a Laura 1.8 TSI petrol (only MT is sold in India).
Old 14th August 2012, 11:51   #130
BHPian

Dezrskb: Why not TD the all new fluidic Elantra? It is an absolute stunner with an equally impressive equipment list. From what I hear, it has a pretty sorted out suspension too. Especially tuned for city/highway use which is what you say you’re mostly going to use her for. What I like about Hyundai is that from the i20 up, they continue to offer a wide choice of highly refined engines in both diesel and petrol mated to pretty competitive manual/automatic gearboxes. IIRC, the Elantra has a 6-speed GB in both manual and automatic options. No harm is checking her out for yourself mate.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 14th August 2012 at 11:53. Reason: Typos.
Old 17th August 2012, 21:59   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom
Dezrskb: Why not TD the all new fluidic Elantra? It is an absolute stunner with an equally impressive equipment list.
Hi Omtoatom
Thanks for the advice. I might have checked Elantra but needed the feeling of driving a heavy European car with a sturdy built which I experienced in Laura. Another car which gave that feeling was Jetta of course but overpriced and only 2 yrs warranty. Naturally choice came to Laura which though dated, seems to be well researched. So probably will b going with it.
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:34   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Omtoatom
Thanks for the advice.
Hi back and you're totally welcome buddy.

Quote:
I might have checked Elantra but needed the feeling of driving a heavy European car with a sturdy built which I experienced in Laura. Another car which gave that feeling was Jetta of course but overpriced and only 2 yrs warranty. Naturally choice came to Laura which though dated, seems to be well researched. So probably will b going with it.
Congratulations man! The Laura is a splendid pick. Lotsa happy Laura owners on the forum. In fact, you're talking to a pretty proud and satisfied one right now! Their trim for trim price gap notwithstanding, the Skoda Shield program has allayed almost all fears of prospective buyers and certainly gives the Laura a distinct edge over her cousin, the Jetta. Do opt for it for sure, if you're finally locked down on a Laura. Which trim are you getting btw?

Anyway keep us posted on the final leg of your selection process and the buying experience. All the best!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 23rd August 2012 at 18:41.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:53   #133
BHPian

Hi Omtoatom
I have already finalized my selection to Laura and have already booked Elegance MT 2.0 CR TDI. I opted for Cappuccino Beige June manufactured one over a Rosso Brunello March manufactured one though RB was my favorite. Vehicle is expected to be delivered by 31st of this or 1st of next month. I have received VIN and have cross checked the manufacture date online and found it correct. Bank loan already approved and counting long days !!!
Old 26th August 2012, 19:48   #134
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience. UPDATE: 30,000kms Report Pg.23

I have ordered an Elegance MT and now thinking hard whether to go for AT as I can afford it and dealer too said I have an option to change my choice. Now after lot of consideration, I had ordered MT. Main issue for me was reliability. After nearly ordering an AT, I happened to bump into manson's thread on his DSG failing in middle of nowhere and I jumped the fence to MT side. Now again there is a tug of war between heart and mind. Mind says MT - bit more reliable than AT. Heart says so much comfort and a responsive DSG AT. I did test drive a HL Volkswagen Jetta DSG and liked the feel of resting my left leg and left hand too. Your DSG ownership was totally troublefree till now?
Manson's Laura was 2011. So I dont think they have made any fresh changes to raise the reliability right?

Last edited by noopster : 28th August 2012 at 15:37.
Old 27th August 2012, 23:27   #135
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience. UPDATE: 30,000kms Report Pg.23

After going through .anshuman's ownership review, i am seriously considering Laura as my next upgrade.
Although new one is currently out of my budget here in Delhi, which is 17 lakh plus.
I am looking for MT Ambiante CR.
As you are an owner & well aware of Laura.
I have few questions for you.
1. What important things i should check or keep in mind while doing TD of used laura.
2. Does your variant has Puddle lamps?
I have seen one MT Ambiante CR, June 2010 with 43k on odo,but its a dealer car.
Any help on this is appreciated.
As of now enjoy your Ladakh trip.

Last edited by noopster : 28th August 2012 at 15:37. Reason: Quoted post reference removed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks