Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 13:38   #16
BHPian

Re: The ever-ELUSIVE "perfect car" for 10 - 14 lakh rupees!

Yeah, I agree with you on the pricing that Volkswagen would set up for the Jetta. We can expect it to be the higher side.

I saw the new Fiesta yesterday and I am so disappointed. Starting with the rear seats, of course they are not wide enough for three adults to sit comfortably and to make matters worse the cup holder between the front seats extends more than halfway in to the rear leg space.

The front wasn't too great either. The design of the dash is snazzy but the quality of plastics is quite disappointing.

I was in a mall where the car was in display so obviously didn't take a test drive, but it doesn't matter now.

Have been looking around for a few months no but I don't see the end of this road..!!
Old 13th July 2011, 23:16   #17
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Hey, did you consider the Sonata Transform by any chance?? It is outdated no doubt but if the dealer has one in stock & is giving you a hefty discount, you must definitely consider it since it is more comfortable & its also offered with an auto transmission (lousy 4 speed ).
If 'bade company ke directors' buy the AT Cruze after test driving the manual, i really doubt the guys at Hyundai will have an AT Sonata for a test drive! The new i45 Sonata is quite a looker and its a long wait till that arrives.
The new Jetta is coming soon but i really doubt the diesel will be priced below 14lakhs.
It was fun reading your thread, Good Luck.
Old 14th July 2011, 00:22   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocharged-KC View Post
"Yes sir, so which is gonna be" the sales guys enquires as my brother starts walking towards the Accord...!!
"Bhaiya.. wassup.. I hope you don't plan to sell me to buy that car, cuz it still won't suffice so BACK OFF..!!

Man, this has to be one of the funniest replies I have ever read/heard in my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocharged-KC View Post
.. fingers crossed.. toes crossed.. damn I feel like a knot..!!
Expectations can get you in knots, and me in splits!

Coming to the thread, the next-gen Jetta seems like the best bet, although it may be slightly over-priced. Rear space comfort is a pretty tough nut to crack, and not many car companies have done it successfully.

Have you considered SUVs like the Tata Safari? A facelifted Safari is due to be out soon, and it's a gem of a car. Not to mention it would fit your budget nicely.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:05   #19
BHPian

What a great post! You have a great sense of humor! I really enjoyed reading this thread. And I could relate to it as I am in a similar situation as you, will be watching this space closely.

I too want a Diesel, I want an A/T preferably due to my commute distance, I want space & comfort and most importantly I want a car that rides similar to my current ride which is a Fiesta (so you know what I am looking for in my next ride)J

As things stand, it is indeed an elusive car…

Last edited by bblost : 14th July 2011 at 15:56. Reason: Font Tags removed. Please do not copy paste from external editors. Thanks/
Old 15th July 2011, 11:34   #20
BHPian

KC-hilarious account. Roared with laughter!!

Reconsider the bade director walla-will you.From another dealer,may be. Everyone is in praise.The full black interiors etc.The AT seems like a dream turned reality. New Jetta could be good,the ride to be seen.

Anyway,best of luck.
Old 15th July 2011, 14:16   #21
BHPian

KC man, superb read and great play of words there.. if its national garage, whom you have contacted for the GM rocket Cruz, they can be in-different maybe ignorant to a customers specific requirement, but in the budget and criteria you should seriously consider the Cruz, like another member mentioned from another dealer. Its a great fit to your criteria (if you can deal with the A.S.S), or hold till the New VW Jetta...all the best with your search.
Old 17th July 2011, 01:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
We're more or less in the same boat - the rear seats of the Cruze and the petrol engine of the Civic are the respective turn-offs in our case. In between, we've done the rounds with the Vento, Aria, Fortuner, Cedia, Laura heck, even the Etios!
@Suman and @Turbo, How about a very comfortable rear seat, and front seat, and (almost) the zip of the Cruze, airy cabin, wonderful ride, good handling, excellent high speed composure, all 4 disc brakes, AWIS (All wheel independent suspension), FE of about 12-14/16-17 City/Highway on a Diesel, which is cheap to maintain (heck some even find it cheaper than some Hyundai hatches!) at about 9.xx ex-showroom?

Willing to give up something for it? Willing to live with a bit of a dated but competent car?

LOL, once again I am talking about the Optra Magnum - the practical Cruze!

I realize that there are apprehensions against this car, and that they are valid. But given the number of TD's you guys are willing to do, this one surely deserves one. Take a call after that.

PS: The experiences of people have varied on how well the TD car was maintained. More on the Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan under 12L thread.

PPS: Was a very enjoyable read, @Turbo. We need more humour on the forum!
Old 17th July 2011, 09:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

T-KC, do try out the Fluence Diesel. We did, yesterday, & came away very pleasantly surprised. Obviously, its not a rocket like the Cruze & may come across as a little overpriced but here's some of the stuff we liked -
  • SPACE - oodles of it, rear legroom & seat width has to be the best in class
  • Six gears - that's going to really help push up the FE
  • Boot - a lot of space back there, 530 liters of it
  • Digital Speedo, turn indicators on ORVM, useful information on the driver info display, 16 inch alloys including the spare wheel
  • Traction Control! Along with ESP
  • Smart Access Card with Start/Stop button
  • Good looking with Presence (now this may vary from individual to individual)
Give it a shot, who knows, you may like it

Poitive, am planning to move up a segment which is why have been looking at the C+s of late. But you make a good point!

Last edited by suman : 17th July 2011 at 09:34.
Old 17th July 2011, 17:12   #24
BHPian

Thank you friends for appreciating the thread..!!

@ PPS - Well I don't think we would be looking at the Sonata Transform. The four speed auto box is a disaster. Also, the Chevrolet Optra which has its share of pros and subsequent fans, this is not the case with the transform. There's something else I'd like to add - it just doesn't "tug the right strings".

The Jetta, well I don't expect it to be within the range of 12-14 lakhs but I'm willing to stretch a bit if it is really worth it (its GERMAN )

@ RavenAvi - Tata safari has the best rear seat comfort.. period.. but quality is a matter of concern. Moreover I think the if I buy a vehicle of that size and stick shift, then its the Innova, no doubts about it.

@unni_S - My friend by the looks of it what we need is a very fat bank balance, the rest follows !!!

@charthom - The Cruze is an amazingly capable vehicle, no doubt about it. I mean, come on man you just can't ignore the "POW" once the turbo spools up, but I really did not find it comfortable in the back. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Cruze LTZ (auto) is priced around 16 lakhs on road Mumbai and I'd like to wait for the Jetta before committing big bucks on the Cruze.

@ Transam - The first thing that comes to mind looking at your nick is KITT entering the horizon, kicking up a dust storm and then the camera zooms on the red scanner --------
I still watch it some times !

@ Poitive - Thanks buddy. I'll try to do my bit.
I remember a buddy of mine who once drove the vehicle and was all praises, somehow it just got ignored through time. Now I have been reading alot about the Optra and it stands tall. I had a discussion with "bade bhaiya" as well, we do plan to check it out soon. I'll keep you posted on this.

@ Suman - The Renualt Fluence is a great car, I have read quite a bit about it. The thing is that I dont think I would like put in 15 Lakhs for a car that is yet to prove its durability on Indian roads. Same goes for the company, it has just entered the market and there's a lot more to do before we can trust it not to go the Skoda way.

Thanks for the replies friends. I'll keep you all posted as and when we spend another day with another list.
Old 17th July 2011, 20:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

The Fluence does seem promising from it's pictures. Yet to see one in flesh. The car would have some exclusivity and seems to have a sense of character and presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Poitive, am planning to move up a segment which is why have been looking at the C+s of late. But you make a good point!
You are likely to be well aware, but still thought I'd state is that the wheelbase of the Optra is the same as Altis and is more than Laura. Engine is 1991cc, again more than most in the C+ segment. The torque and power is also pretty much up there. The space too.

It is on price that it competes with smaller C segment cars though.

@Turbo, I like your "bade bhaiya" statements! Tend to imagine a sheepish smile with respect Does he read these posts too?
Old 18th July 2011, 15:45   #26

Definitely look at the Optra
Other good options would be the Fluence, the upcoming Jetta and the Corolla (I too recommend you look at this again. There shouldn't be a problem with this being the same price as the Innova - no one's going to mistake you for a taxiwalla in this And you should look at the petrol. It isn't exactly a driver's car, but it's smooth and comfortable and easy to like).
A left-field option is the Skoda Yeti, if you're willing to risk the after sales service. It is supposed to drive well, and also has more than enough GC.
Old 18th July 2011, 16:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
The Fluence does seem promising from it's pictures. Yet to see one in flesh. The car would have some exclusivity and seems to have a sense of character and presence.
Have seen couple of them zipping on Hyderabad roads and Fluence looks stunning, no two thoughts about it. Both the cars i saw were black in color and the I followed the car as far as the could see it. Dunno whether they were diesel or petrol but it is a head turner for sure.
Old 18th July 2011, 22:15   #28
BHPian

@ Poitive - Yup the Optra is definitely value for money. Just for the sake of discussion, I liked it more with straighter headlights !

Well, bade bhaiya does read it sometimes.. gives me the look and gets back to work. So I think it's okay.

@ Roadtrip - My requirement from the car is a that it should be an oil burner and we're not considering any petrol vehicles. Also, I would buy the Innova any day over the Corolla Altis diesel for it just is unbeatable when it comes to comfort. Top of the line Altis diesel is almost 16 lakhs on road Mumbai whereas the top version of the Innova is at 14.5

Thanks guys for the replies, feels great to be appreciated by like-minded people. I've posted my experience with the Hyundai i20 in the Long-term ownership reviews. Played around a bit with words. Hope you guys like it.

Cheers.
KC
Old 19th July 2011, 00:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Aah yes. Those lights were pretty good, though the grill could have been better with some changes. The older design did make it look like a bigger car. More presence. As was being mentioned in the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread, Daewoo gave us some cars with long term appeal - Cielo, Matiz and the old Optra (which would have been a Daewoo, had the company not gotten taken over by GM).

Oh! This post was to give the link of the above mentioned i20 thread for other's convenience:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...undai-i20.html
Old 21st July 2011, 08:18   #30

@ KC,

Aah, sorry, from your first post it looked like you were fine with either fuel.

Go for the Innova, I say. It's the car you really want, I think I think it still holds its own in the image stakes, especially the top-end version in a metallic grey. You get pretty much all the equipment you'd need, too. It might not be as young as you'd want, but for what you're getting, that isn't a big compromise.

Another option, if you're willing to wait a little, is the upcoming Innova, which I think I'd seen on the Autocar website a little while ago. I don't quite know when it's coming out, but you'd do well to ask around.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks