Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 08:25   #76
BHPian

Re: Automatic Sedan budget 10L

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Sorry, its slightly wrong info. There is no Fiesta diesel AT. The soon-to-be launched DCT variant is only for petrol.
Oops sorry! I thought the new version coming is a Diesel Automatic. My bad.
ganeshram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 14:40   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram

My opinion and strictly my opinion. Go for a diesel dude. Have been a petrolhead throughout my life. But now have been forced to think otherwise. In a country where a Re.1 increase on diesel results in a price hike of tomatoes, onions, garlic and milk, and a Re. 1 increase on petrol goes almost unnoticed, it makes sense to buy a diesel.
Diesel sedan only 2 choices in market, dzire and verna. Dzire is ruled out. If I look at verna, the diff in OTR price is almost 2L (1178191 for Petrol AT, 1367596 for Diesel AT). Since, I will be taking loan, this means extra 4000 EMI. My calculation says It's worth it if my running is more than 1500 KM (I am assuming running cost differential of Rs. 3 in favor of Diesel.) But my running is going to be only about 5-600 KM a month. So Diesel not justified. Also there might be an additional cess in place by the time car is delivered so it further erodes any value in buying diesel variant.

Do you think my reasoning is sound. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Old 27th February 2012, 17:11   #78
Senior - BHPian

Re: The ever-ELUSIVE "perfect car" for 10 - 14 lakh rupees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Diesel sedan only 2 choices in market, dzire and verna. Dzire is ruled out. If I look at verna, the diff in OTR price is almost 2L (1178191 for Petrol AT, 1367596 for Diesel AT). Since, I will be taking loan, this means extra 4000 EMI. My calculation says It's worth it if my running is more than 1500 KM (I am assuming running cost differential of Rs. 3 in favor of Diesel.) But my running is going to be only about 5-600 KM a month. So Diesel not justified. Also there might be an additional cess in place by the time car is delivered so it further erodes any value in buying diesel variant.

I reckon Diesel could make sense even at 1000 KMS a month. But Diesel AT's are so expensive to buy, and you are correct in saying that a Diesel AT makes no sense given your running.

Speaking of the Fiesta, it should have fantastic efficiency if Ford is to be believed. If your running is moderate, as you say, why not consider it? No one seems to have a concrete idea when it'll come out, but it'll be a great option if a petrol car is still viable.

I think you've knocked the Rapid out, so that leaves the City, Vento and Fiesta (??) still on the table. Mind you, the Fiesta will have a massive amount of gadgetry in it and that could make it more attractive than the comparatively spartan City and Vento, so that makes the decision more complex. In a good way, of course!

Last edited by iliketurtles : 27th February 2012 at 17:14. Reason: Typo :(
Old 27th February 2012, 18:12   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do factor in that the resale value of the Diesel is likely to be more, if this price difference continues. Not sure if you took into account that diesel cars usually give a more kms to a liter.

For many, a cheaper tank up also means lesser stress each time

If you go in for the Fluidic Verna, do try it over 80kmph; especially in the rear seat. It got me nervous.

Edit: There was a tweet by Hormazd (Editor ACI) about diesel cars now becoming viable, even if there isn't much running, based on resale values of cars.

Last edited by Poitive : 27th February 2012 at 18:14.
Old 27th February 2012, 21:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Do factor in that the resale value of the Diesel is likely to be more, if this price difference continues. Not sure if you took into account that diesel cars usually give a more kms to a liter.

For many, a cheaper tank up also means lesser stress each time

If you go in for the Fluidic Verna, do try it over 80kmph; especially in the rear seat. It got me nervous.

Edit: There was a tweet by Hormazd (Editor ACI) about diesel cars now becoming viable, even if there isn't much running, based on resale values of cars.
I did take that into account. See my reasoning and the calculations here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2694743

I'll be taking a loan hence each 1L more spent on the car (the diesel price differential) means extra 2000 odd in EMI which means (if I can generously assume Rs. 3 differential in favor of Diesel in running costs, then still I will need to drive 600 KM extra per month to break-even. Of course the exact figures can be worked out as well, I've just approximated everything with some relevant assumptions.

Last edited by joslicx : 27th February 2012 at 21:37.
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:44   #81
MCR
BHPian

I am on a lookout for a new car. Sedan at that! Budget : Around 10 Lakhs.
I had initially thought of upgrading from My Punto Emotion 1.3 MJD to a SUV/MUV. But after due consideration, I have ruled out the MUV/SUV. The two main reasons are as follows;

1. Max no. of occupants - 4 people, so I don't need the additional seating space.
2. Running and maintenence cost is slightly on the higher side.

Other than the above reasons I also felt that ladder on frame SUV/MUV are not really corner carvers and there is a fair amount of body roll. And I hate this!

Now that I have decided to go for a sedan, what are the most important features, I am looking for:

1. Airbags and ABS (Safety comes first).
2. A good diesel mill with easy driveability and tractability (will be good to have the turbo kick).
3. Trip Computer or what ever, I need the DTE, average efficiency etc. dispalyed on the cluster.
4. Driver seat height adjustment and steering adjustments.
5. A very good AC. Now that the tints are banned!
6. Back seat comfort, very important!
7. A decent sized boot.
8. Good service back-up.

Yes, I would love to have all the other comfort features like electrically adjustable mirrors, Power windows with one touch Up and one touch down facility, etc.

Considering all my requirements I have shortlisted the following cars;

1. Toyota Etios.
2. Nissan Sunny.
3. VW Vento.
4. Skoda Rapid.

I have not considered the following manufacturers;

1. Maruti Suzuki : Dzire is ruled out! I ruled it out in 2009 and bought a Punto. SX4 is not a very interesting car from my perspective and is also quiet old.

2. Tata : Manza ruled out! I donot want the niggles and cheesy interiors.

3. Fiat : Linea is not really an upgrade over Punto. The interiors are the same except the colour!

4. Chevrolet : Cruze is above my budget limit. Optra magnum is quiet old now.

5. Honda : No diesel offerings.

6. Ford : Fiesta Classic is quiet old now. The looks on the New Fiesta is not really to my liking.

7. Hyundai : Fluidic Verna is a very good car! The interiors are excellent. But I am not very impressed with Hyundai service ( I am talking with experience here!).

So I request you guys to suggest me the best car which meets my requirement! I know its a heck of a task, but together we can make it a lot easier.
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:17   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
So I request you guys to suggest me the best car which meets my requirement
Blatantly disregarding your lookout for a "new" car, I suggest you try to find a year old Cruze LT. Decent equipment, and performance on a different level altogether. Looks good too. My apologies if this is very tangential to your requirement.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going slightly off beat here:
Take a look and a test drive of the Skoda YETI.
It is available in two wheel drive as well as four wheel drive variants in entry level Ambiente and top level Elegance trim.
It has all the attributes you are looking for. Flexi - seating, very good build quality, Robust, Safe, a very good ride, very decent handling and if you go for the 4-wheel drive version , its got more than enough off-roading capability you will need.
And i don't think you have to worry too much about service. Quite a few of my friends own one and apart from the scheduled 15,000 kms service intervals their vehicles have never been to the service station.

All the best !
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:11   #84
BHPian

@ Arjab - The Yetil will be 70% more than MCR's budget

@ MCR - After living with the Punto, you are better off buying the Rapid (ticks all your boxes but for the questionable service, also costs lesser than Vento); neither the Etios nor sunny will not make your cut (engine, quality, finish, drive).

Last edited by AirWind : 3rd May 2012 at 15:12.
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:20   #85
Senior - BHPian

Yes I would also agree with AirWind. Rapid is the best of the lot. Vento, with the recent budget hike has gone past 10L mark which means On Road KA registration takes it to unimaginable level. However there are some offers on Vento (free insurance + corporate discount). I do not know about any discounts/offers on Rapid.

However, if you have a thing for gadgets then nothing like the new Ford Fiesta.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:23   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll be taking a loan hence each 1L more spent on the car (the diesel price differential) means extra 2000 odd in EMI which means (if I can generously assume Rs. 3 differential in favor of Diesel in running costs, then still I will need to drive 600 KM extra per month to break-even. Of course the exact figures can be worked out as well, I've just approximated everything with some relevant assumptions.
If you havent bought yet, do keep in mind that it wont be long before that 600 kms gets stretched to around 1K a month!
Why dont you try looking in the used car market? Or does that impact your loan eligibility/ interest rates?

Quote:
For service back up alone, Skoda gets kicked out unless you know a dealer personally.
I am not enthused about VW service too and now there are too many fires around.
That leaves the Sunny and the Etios. The sunny sounds good, but only if you have a strong service support where you live.
My recommendation is to look in the used car market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Blatantly disregarding your lookout for a "new" car, I suggest you try to find a year old Cruze LT. Decent equipment, and performance on a different level altogether. Looks good too. My apologies if this is very tangential to your requirement.
+1, excellent suggestion. I would look at a used Cruze for that budget.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 09:21   #87
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Blatantly disregarding your lookout for a "new" car, I suggest you try to find a year old Cruze LT
FlyingSpur, thanks for the suggestion. I am not looking at the used car market. The main reasons are as follows;

1. I like the fresh smell of a new car!
2. I would want the manufacturers warranty to be applicable to all parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Going slightly off beat here:
Take a look and a test drive of the Skoda YETI....
arjab, I think Yeti would be way beyond my budget. If I were to spend 15+ lakhs, I would have bought the Cruze instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
you are better off buying the Rapid (ticks all your boxes but for the questionable service, also costs lesser than Vento); neither the Etios nor sunny will not make your cut (engine, quality, finish, drive).
AirWind, I believe the same. Rapid should fit me well. But I am really worried about the cost of the spare parts of a Skoda and the service back-up!

Quote:
Rapid is the best of the lot. Vento, with the recent budget hike has gone past 10L mark which means On Road KA registration takes it to unimaginable level.
joslicx, Yes Vento is not well priced. I heard too that there are discounts being offered. Let me check with the Dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
For service back up alone, Skoda gets kicked out unless ....That leaves the Sunny and the Etios. The sunny sounds good, but only if you have a strong service support where you live.
My recommendation is to look in the used car market.
selfdrive, I am more impressed by the interiors of the Sunny than that of the Etios. But looks like there is some compromise that needs to be made at the end of the day!

-------------------------------------------------------------

So a quick round up of the cars;

1. Skoda Rapid ;

1. Excellent build quality and VFM pricing.
2. Superior handling and ride quality.
3. Service is a suspect.
4. Spare part prices is a suspect.
5. Fire!!!!!

2. VW Vento ;

1. Excellent Build quality.
2. Excellent handling and ride quality.
3. Superior interior part quality.
4. Missing equipment and features on Diesel Comfortline.
5. Service is still a suspect.
6. Overpriced.
7. Fire!!!

3. Toyota Etios ;

1. Excellent service support.
2. Decent space on the inside.
3. Average ride quality and handling.
4. Plain jane exteriors and interiors.
5. Average interior part quality and looks.

4. Nissan Sunny ;

1. Huge caaaarrrr. Very spacious interiors.
2. Decent pricing.
3. Excellent turbo-lag free engine and superior driveability.
4. Decent ride quality and handling.
5. Service is a suspect.
6. Dull interiors.

So have decided to take a TD of all the cars tomorrow. I will come back with the experiences!
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 10:36   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you havent bought yet, do keep in mind that it wont be long before that 600 kms gets stretched to around 1K a month!
Why dont you try looking in the used car market? Or does that impact your loan eligibility/ interest rates?
Well I've already made the purchase. Went with my heart and not my mind this time I should be getting my Vento AT pretty soon (its already off the factory gates)

Used car was not an option. Used cars can be a big headache unless bought from some known person (so that you know about the history of the car). When I am putting 10+ big ones its better to go for a new car, at least for people like me with rather limited knowledge of automobiles.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 13:05   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
selfdrive, I am more impressed by the interiors of the Sunny than that of the Etios. But looks like there is some compromise that needs to be made at the end of the day!
Me thinks the Etios can be excluded for the same reason as you excluded the Manza.

As for the TDs, I think you are going to come home with a Sunny disposition. Please also have a look at the Ford Fiesta, that car may actually change your mind
Old 5th May 2012, 23:16   #90
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Me thinks the Etios can be excluded for the same reason as you excluded the Manza.

As for the TDs, I think you are going to come home with a Sunny disposition. Please also have a look at the Ford Fiesta, that car may actually change your mind
Correct. The Etios is not as good as the Vento.

Took the TD's of Etios and the Vento. Cannot compare the two cars. They are said to be in the same segment but Vento is clearly in a different league!

1. Vento :

The newly opened Showroom for VW in Mysore is simply amazing. The SE was very responsive. He handed over the price list and brochure and was very attentive. He offered us a TD without asking for one. I was floored the moment I stepped inside the car! Boy, what a class leading and luxurious interiors!
Everything inside the car is designed just perfectly. The ergonomics are spot on. I cranked the engine and was welcomed by 105 horses. The engine is a bit loud but I really liked it. We set off for the TD and the power and torque available was very evident. The turbolag is negligible but I could feel the kick past 1800rpm. The car is fast, a lot faster than my Punto! In no time I was doing 100 Kmph. The ride and handling is excellent. The AC is an absolute chiller. The steering feedback is just right. Its super light at parking speeds but weighs up at speed.
The only negative point in the entire TD was the slight vibration I felt on the clutch pedal.
I am really impressed. Very much at that. The car ticks all the boxes I want my next car to. The only negative point is beige carpets! I hope VW puts in a grey carpet instead .

2. Etios :

The Toyota showroom is also very good in Mysore. The SE was quiet responsive too. The TD of Etios was not so interesting after the TD of the Vento. The interiors was a big put off. It simply lacks the quality levels of the Vento. There is no turbolag but also there is no kick present. The engine sounded a bit gruff and not really ready to rev freely. The car is definitely spacious but is very thin in the features list. The ride quality is just about average. The steering is very light and lacks feel. The transmission hump is missing at the back row and this is really good. All in all, buying this car is more like making a lot of compromise. I was not impressed!

So after round 1 of the TD, The Vento is the clear winner. But Vento is seriously overpriced or is it that it takes that much money to build a very good car?

The next round of the TD's (Rapid and Sunny) is planned next weekend. Lets see how it goes. At this stage VW Vento is taking away all my sleep

Last edited by MCR : 5th May 2012 at 23:20. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks