Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 19:15   #76
BHPian

Re: Buying a *used* budget Sedan

^^ Small update on the City guys.
The wife and I dropped out of it, as we have had to divert most of our available funds into our booked apartment .

So, as of now we are looking at a decent sedan within 200,000 max.
Found this car on carwale. Spoke with dealer. Price quoted is 1.9(negotiable).
8 years old, 2nd owner, done 47k km's. Will be going tomorrow to check it out.

What all recommendations do you have regarding used Optra's?
Are they any kind of a VFM purchase in the used car market?
How about A.S.S? Are Chevrolet's very expensive to maintain?
I'm not keen on keeping it for more than 2-3 years. Will be used mostly on weekends, sometimes on weekdays in case it rains or is too hot.

So what do you guys say? Does this make any kinda sense?

Thanks for checking into this. Any response will be greatly appreciated
Old 20th February 2012, 23:07   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
post 2006 Optra are available at this price. Maintenance of optra will be on higher side when compared with Honda, but spares availability should not be a problem I suppose.
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:27   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
^^ Small update on the City guys.
The wife and I dropped out of it, as we have had to divert most of our available funds into our booked apartment .

So, as of now we are looking at a decent sedan within 200,000 max.
Found this car on carwale. Spoke with dealer. Price quoted is 1.9(negotiable).
8 years old, 2nd owner, done 47k km's. Will be going tomorrow to check it out.

What all recommendations do you have regarding used Optra's?
Are they any kind of a VFM purchase in the used car market?
How about A.S.S? Are Chevrolet's very expensive to maintain?
I'm not keen on keeping it for more than 2-3 years. Will be used mostly on weekends, sometimes on weekdays in case it rains or is too hot.

So what do you guys say? Does this make any kinda sense?

Thanks for checking into this. Any response will be greatly appreciated
It all depends on the drive, i have seen beaten up optra in very bad condition. you drive it you will come to know, i doubt if the 2 lakh rupess optra would be good, check for speedometer tampering.

My optra had run 46k and No rattles and looks as new, i drive to siruseri (50 kms too and fro)daily and get average of 12kmpl wih AC.
+
Good torgue,
No engine noise at all inside, silent cabin
very powerfull AC and silent too
big caaar, plush
good buid quality
*** not that costly in my opinion
sundaram motors is the best in chennai.

-
Poor resale
less average in city

Be aware if speedometer is tampered in old car then its a problem, usually @ 60K service for optra the timing belt needs to be replaced and that service will cost 20k.
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:46   #79
BHPian

Thanks a ton for all the replies guys. Really appreciated.

Well, checked out three cars today. Two Optras, a Silver colored 1.6 LS(2004) 2nd owner done 43k, and a copper colored 1.8 LT(2004) 2nd owner done 50k. Also saw an OHC, beige 1.3 2nd owner done 88k.

The City was immediately out as the interior was a complete mess. The door pulls were coming out, for crying out loud! Hopped into the silver Optra and it felt good. Ride was well sorted. Engine felt smooth enough. Throttle response could have been better as I detected a slight hint of a lag. Slight noise from left rear while braking. Exterior looks decent. Sun films all around. There is a big scrape on the front bumper. It will need touching up ASAP.

The good thing is that both the Optras have complete service records. Going for a much longer TD tomorrow with my friend. Asking price for the 1.6 LS is 1.8. Will see what my pal says tomorrow after a really long test drive.

Will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help so far . Much appreciated.
Old 26th February 2012, 00:23   #80
BHPian

Hey folks,

My budget is 2 lakhs, monthly running for this petrol sedan would not be more than 300km

My requirements are a fun to drive car, good handling and 2 digit FE figures.
This sedan might be used sometimes to travel on the highway, so good power is also a requirement.

i could raise the budget up by another 50k to touch 2.5lakhs if required.

I am looking at 1.6Ikon or the Fiesta 1.4 or 1.6

Ikon has brakes issue? even after 2006 ikon's? are the ikon 1.3 seriously underpowered?

Fiesta 1.4 is underpowered?? i doubt a fiesta 1.6 is available below 2.5 in good condition.

Any other choices??
Old 26th February 2012, 09:14   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I'd suggest the Esteem ; it has everything in it except dated design inside and low seating

FE is top notch , reliability is good,spares are dirt cheap and it has an All Wheel Independent Suspension.
Old 30th March 2012, 16:48   #82
BHPian

Hi guys

Had started a new thread earlier but got deleted.

After having a Palio 1.6 GTX for 2 yrs and driving it for 40k kms. I am looking for a used sedan in the budget of 2L - 3L. Daily running would be around 25kms. Occasional trips from mumbai to pune. Monthly average running should be 1500 kms. I was thinking of buying something upto 2L and spending the rest on ICE and wheels and fuel etc. rather than buying something for 3L and having no money for the rest. All sedans are being considered.

Few cars I am going to look over the weekend are:
late 2006 Baleno vxi 35k kms done single owner asking price is 2.20L
mid 2005 Accent gle 25k kms done single owner asking price is 2.20L

Both cars are slightly negotiable. I am confused between both as few people told me accent wont give me the fun like the GTX did. But I dont like the looks of the baleno so much, it may grow onto me. Interiors look dull, exteriors is bland. Where as the accent looks fresh. But then you dont get all the goodies (read alloys, climate control, arm rest front n rear) etc in the accent. Also I have heard baleno parts are difficult to get unlike accent which is still sold in the showroom. So its confusing me even more. Pls owners help me with pros and cons and suggest something new in the budget. I am going to settle on something in a weeks time max.
Old 30th March 2012, 21:46   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post
I am looking for a used sedan in the budget of 2L - 3L.
1) NHC (2004-2005)
2) Fiesta (P)
3) OHC
4) Lancer
5) Accent
6) Baleno

Consider in this order
Old 30th March 2012, 22:01   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
1) NHC (2004-2005)
2) Fiesta (P)
3) OHC
4) Lancer
5) Accent
6) Baleno

Consider in this order
Ouch! Never knew this would be the order. Im basically looking at post 06 cars. Most of cars in mumbai were drained in july 05 rains. So that ticks off most of the above cars also newer models in the above list is above my budget.
Old 31st March 2012, 19:56   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ouch! Never knew this would be the order. Im basically looking at post 06 cars. Most of cars in mumbai were drained in july 05 rains. So that ticks off most of the above cars also newer models in the above list is above my budget.
Bit of luck and patience could get you a NHC ZX in your budget, believe me buddy. Here are few live examples,

- Friend of mine recently picked up a 2006 end Fiesta 1.4 (P) in Mumbai for less than 2 lakhs.
- During his hunt, found a 2005 end NHC with 37k on odo for 2.5 lakhs
- Here in chennai I came across a 2007 Fiesta (P) for 2.7 lakhs

With the raise in petrol price gasoline cars are available for peanuts in the market.
Old 31st March 2012, 20:00   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss

Bit of luck and patience could get you a NHC ZX in your budget, believe me buddy. Here are few live examples,

- Friend of mine recently picked up a 2006 end Fiesta 1.4 (P) in Mumbai for less than 2 lakhs.
- During his hunt, found a 2005 end NHC with 37k on odo for 2.5 lakhs
- Here in chennai I came across a 2007 Fiesta (P) for 2.7 lakhs

With the raise in petrol price gasoline cars are available for peanuts in the market.

Was never a big fan of fiesta 1.4. Though i loved the 1.6 and the diesel for the economy. Have come across a very less run baleno. When i say very less means less than 5 digits on the odo. Any idea what price i should offer?
Old 31st March 2012, 20:20   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was never a big fan of fiesta 1.4. Though i loved the 1.6 and the diesel for the economy. Have come across a very less run baleno. When i say very less means less than 5 digits on the odo. Any idea what price i should offer?
Baleno with less than 10k on odo?
Please do share the details of this machine.
Old 31st March 2012, 20:29   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss

Baleno with less than 10k on odo?
Please do share the details of this machine.
Owner bought and got a new job outside city. Left the car here. Used it sparingly when he was back. Complete service history. Will be seeing it tomorrow and maybe finalising the deal. What is the best price i can offer? Considering there are couple of balenos in the market with 15k odd kms going for 1.8 to 2L. Owner is expecting sky high price.

P.S also consider the fact that this is the model post company shut production so he must have got great discounts.

Last edited by abhijeetveer : 31st March 2012 at 20:31.
Old 31st March 2012, 20:45   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer

Owner bought and got a new job outside city. Left the car here. Used it sparingly when he was back. Complete service history. Will be seeing it tomorrow and maybe finalising the deal. What is the best price i can offer? Considering there are couple of balenos in the market with 15k odd kms going for 1.8 to 2L. Owner is expecting sky high price.

P.S also consider the fact that this is the model post company shut production so he must have got great discounts.
Bud, Baleno original grill - INR9000 3 years ago). Original front bumper - 7000. Not sure if its worth paying a high price for Baleno - if you get it cheap its okay.

Call up and check with local MASS - as a customer looking for spares - for availability and cost of common parts and spares.

AFAIK, for Baleno the NGK plugs are also imported.
Old 31st March 2012, 21:56   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Owner bought and got a new job outside city. Left the car here. Used it sparingly when he was back. Complete service history. Will be seeing it tomorrow and maybe finalising the deal..
Which year and variant? and what is the price quoted?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks