Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 22:26   #46
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze or the Chevrolet Optra - Which car and why?

Actually SedatedDrive has a good point here. Not MCP behaviour for sure . The automatic actually makes the lag less noticable and it's a boon to drive in the city. I also think it has the tiptronic function or something which might be fun and different. And I believe it's the best automatic on sale (relatively speaking). If given the choice of an automatic which I will be planning soon, I would go for this anyday.
I may be old school, and I still love the Optra for it's sheer space which surprisingly, the Cruze doesn't have, currently these new generation cars are all the same. For me, the Optra was the car to go for since space for my family was priority (have the old 1.6 petrol)
As everyone mentioned, from a technical stand point, the Cruze is way way ahead, the most useful is the rear disc brakes (I think the Optra has that in the highest version). But like the guys in the thread just said, Cruze has tons of cool gadgets and toys that frankly, you won't be using much over time but the Optra has what is needed and more importantly, gives you the flexibility to add more without any risk or compromise unlike the Cruze with it's complex electronics.
Service will not be a problem ofcourse for Cruze but it'll be on the expensive side compared to Optra obviously. As a matter of fact, my friend owns both a Cruze and a Toyota Fortuner and he keeps telling me that the silly Cruze's service cost is way above his Fortuner which makes drives him mad.
So the mind says Optra and heart says Cruze. End of the day, a purchase can be made based on your requirements, which may be both practical and emotional. I am more of the practical guy .
And I am sorry to say I am leaning towards your husband's side! But off topic, nice to hear that you taken the time and effort to understand the difference between these two cars!

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 16th September 2011 at 22:33.
Old 16th September 2011, 22:43   #47
BHPian

Hi Blue_Orchid:

My sympathies. But look at the bright side. Now you have spare cash for that solitaire or the vacation in Musha Cay. Which colour did you decide for the Optra?

If the debate is still raging, I suggest, like I did earlier - try that line. Even though it is not at all in sync with your persona...the surprise element should not be discounted.

All the best if the battle rages. If you lost...go for a long drive in the Optra (I suggest Ahmedabad to Baroda). You will come back happier.

Cheers!
Old 18th September 2011, 09:06   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
I committed the mistake of directly handing over the laptop to my husband, to show the 'advantages', so here is his perspective.
IMO a car which suddenly "becomes" VFM after a price cut of over a lakh of rupees may have its own disadvantages in the longer run. Just get into the Optra after you have been into the cabin of the Cruze or for that matter a Verna Fluidic and you feel that you are in a car which is a generation old.

The cruze is the latest and is selling well.

However if your heart wants the optra then go for it.
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:35   #49
BHPian

Blue's hubby here again (So the comments are going to be pro Optra )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
Although it has been decided, I cannot resist.

Nope! Not decided yet (though I can confess that I feel that I am winning - so most probably, the Optra it is!)

2) Optra might have the same engine block as the cruze, but i think they both use different turbo setups (hence the power difference). You may mod the Optra give the same power output as the cruze, but the cruze gives you the same power as stock. Here is its advantage. Most Bhpians can vouch for me when I say that after a few years (2-3 is most cases) you'll get bored of the power and will want more. With the optra you cant get anymore without some expensive upgrades. But in case of cruze, you could keep it stock for 2-3 years and then mod it (20k to 50k for box or remap). This will put the cruze into the beemer league in acceleration and top speed (around 200bhp and above 400Nm of torque. handling wont be close to beemer but you'll be used to your car).

The Optra has the FGT while the Cruze has the VGT. But the chip is not going to make any difference. The chip increases the rail pressure, thereby giving more fuel, and a bit of the boost pressure (to provide more air for the extra fuel). The maximum limit for this increase depends directly on the engine and the rail (which are same). The boost in turbo will be at max around 1 bar, so the turbos will not make a difference.
So, I can tune the chip to give power equal to the Cruze now, and then increase it even further later. So at any given point in time, with both the Optra and the Cruze, the max will remain almost the same.

4) The rear bench space being less in cruze is way over-hyped.

It is not at all overhyped. It is a fact. The rear is definitely cramped. Your father probably did not want to dampen your happiness so he did not say anything about the space. Even the ingress and egress are difficult due to the cramped setting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
IMO a car which suddenly "becomes" VFM after a price cut of over a lakh of rupees may have its own disadvantages in the longer run. Just get into the Optra after you have been into the cabin of the Cruze or for that matter a Verna Fluidic and you feel that you are in a car which is a generation old.
VFM is just what it means - At the given cost, the set of advantages outweigh the disadvantages (hence it is called as Value For Money). Even though the TATA vehicles (which use the same engine as the Swift, Palio etc) are much cheaper, no-one calls them VFM. There is a vast difference between VFM and Cheap.

We have done exactly that. After getting in the Optra, you realize that it is plush, silent, spacious and extremely comfortable, (and in the power section, the Cruze is great, but the Fluidic fails even there) so your suggestion is actually cancelling your intention.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:04   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Completely agree with your reasons. But if you are getting an Optra, why not look for a good low mileage used number? Afterall, its a previous gen. car sold alongside the newer version (Cruze).

And not looking for an option outside GM? Say the new Jetta
Old 23rd September 2011, 23:42   #51
BHPian

Well said, vb-san! The new Jetta is totally VFM at its price point!
Old 24th September 2011, 01:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
Well said, vb-san! The new Jetta is totally VFM at its price point!
I would disagree. Its a small car than you think, only will realize when you sit in. And it is overpriced specially for India.

If you are planning to buy Cruze I would recommend to wait till December. Heard a lot of great reviews about the Z-tech engine coming in.

Rear headroom space limitation in Cruze is mainly due to Moon roof retraction eating up some space.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 24th September 2011 at 01:32.
Old 24th September 2011, 04:46   #53
BHPian

Quote:

2) Optra might have the same engine block as the cruze, but i think they both use different turbo setups (hence the power difference).
With the optra you cant get anymore without some expensive upgrades. But in case of cruze, you could keep it stock for 2-3 years and then mod it (20k to 50k for box or remap).
The Optra has a Fixed Geometry Turbo while the Cruze has a Variable Geometry Turbo. As mentioned by blue above, the engine is the same, and though the VGT will make the power delivery more linear, it is not turbo which will define the limit to which we can boost the figures.
The rail pressure, injected quantity and the boost pressure will define how far the figures can be pushed. So, as of now, the ecu maps of the Cruze are already set to give more power and torque, but a similar remap would work for the Optra as well. I have already discussed this with a few modders and chip manufacturers (Indian and abroad) and they have all confirmed that both the Optra and the Cruze will have similar upper limits!

Quote:
The post 2011 model pulls cleanly from 1200-1500 only. Just that as you progress through the RPMs the engine keeps putting out MORE AND MORE AND MORE power hence making it feel that the low end has a lag. from 1200 itself you can feel the car accelerating away.
In the first and the second gear - yes, but not 3rd gear onwards! Thats where the lag is felt! You cannot be below 1500 in 3rd gear and if you are, you have to downshift. The lag is more pronounced than the Optra.

Quote:
4) The rear bench space being less in cruze is way over-hyped.
This is an accepted fact and I have heard that a newer version of the Cruze is enroute which will have the rear seating issue taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

With RaceChip, doesnt it come with a preset tuning? How will you tune it to specified bhp?
It does come with a preset - but there are 2 dials which you can rotate to change the settings as well. So you can increase the power as per your requirements.

Quote:

VFM is just what it means - At the given cost, the set of advantages outweigh the disadvantages (hence it is called as Value For Money). Even though the TATA vehicles (which use the same engine as the Swift, Palio etc) are much cheaper, no-one calls them VFM. There is a vast difference between VFM and Cheap.

but the Fluidic fails even there) so your suggestion is actually cancelling your intention.
VFM - Well said!
Agree on the Fluidic part totally. It has some Jazz, but the finish of the Optra interiors (though dated) is much richer. Plush is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Completely agree with your reasons. But if you are getting an Optra, why not look for a good low mileage used number? Afterall, its a previous gen. car sold alongside the newer version (Cruze).
NoRules was trying this at some point in time, and even I was doing the same. But there are hardly any Magnums up for sale (let alone low mileage)! But if you do find a good one grab it (or let me know and I might just about go for it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
If you are planning to buy Cruze I would recommend to wait till December. Heard a lot of great reviews about the Z-tech engine coming in.

Rear headroom space limitation in Cruze is mainly due to Moon roof retraction eating up some space.
Isn't Z-tech a Ford engine?

The headroom limitation is due to the shape of the Cruze - the moon / sun roof is not the reason! The Optra petrol has the sunroof, yet headroom is not an issue.
Also, more than the headroom, the issue is about the legroom and the seating space (and underthigh support as well)
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 11:40   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
NoRules was trying this at some point in time, and even I was doing the same. But there are hardly any Magnums up for sale (let alone low mileage)! But if you do find a good one grab it (or let me know and I might just about go for it)
Well, maybe because the sales are low, it’s hard to find one in the used market, and those who own it may not want give it off easily. Personally I like the elegant clean lines of the Optra in comparison with the Cruze.
Old 24th September 2011, 15:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, maybe because the sales are low, it’s hard to find one in the used market, and those who own it may not want give it off easily. Personally I like the elegant clean lines of the Optra in comparison with the Cruze.
I would say that the people who buy the Optra buy it for the right reasons - power, comfort, reliability - and being satisfied on all fronts, they do not feel like selling it!
Old 24th September 2011, 17:38   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Those who own it are not giving it up easily because it is a nice product and they don't want to part with it. Even i agree that the Optra(gentle/sobre looking) is a more elegant looker than the Cruze(a in the face kinda design).
Old 25th September 2011, 01:41   #57
BHPian

This till date has been the thread with the best debate ! Thanks to blueorchid & the other members, I was a die hard cruze fan when i read the title but, while going through the review I am surprised too see so many optra junkies. By no means it does not have snob value i believe any car maintained in its right posture looks good. The cruze definitely has a lot of jing bang but, the imagination of what his car is completely clear in blue's hubby's head ! No amount of persuasion can make him change his path. And that's a petrohead... way to go man

I never knew the potential of an optra but, now i am very eager to find out.
Will go for a test drive soon...
Old 25th September 2011, 08:58   #58
BHPian

Actually Blue's hubby is buying the diesel Optra Magnum and hence is not a petrolhead. Or did I miss someone's memo?
Old 25th September 2011, 16:49   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
I never knew the potential of an optra but, now i am very eager to find out.
Will go for a test drive soon...
The Optra has loads of potential - you should definitely test drive the Optra! Here is a small writeup on how to max the fun with the Optra.
Check this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
Actually Blue's hubby is buying the diesel Optra Magnum and hence is not a petrolhead. Or did I miss someone's memo?
What he means is a gearhead or tech junkie - Bhavnao ko samjho!
Old 25th September 2011, 17:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

I have TDed the Optra 1.6 petrol and liked it very much, that was way back in 2005 when my Accent was in for a replacement. I TDed the Cruze and must say didn't like it at all, very hard clutch and poor ride and was very uncomfy on TD itself. Would I recommend the Optra, nope, would make a good second hand buy not as a new car for its very very long in the tooth, (same way as I wouldn't advise any one to buy a 2nd hand Elantra, now, though I have one and am very happy with it). I have TDed the Sonata Transform CRDI(manual) and was very happy with it: soft clutch, next to nothing lag, mind you I have driven a petrol for the last 16 years. I know all the guys would shake their heads in disapproval, coz the Sonata Transform CRDI has completely gone out of the radar of buyers due to dowdy image, but it's one helluva car. I'm actually waiting for a clearance sale of the Sonata CRDI and will make one good buy then, now it's too pricey for a car that sells in single digits every month.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks