Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 10:53   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Cruze or the Chevrolet Optra - Which car and why?

We (I and my husband) are looking at purchasing a new sedan. The initial criteria (compromise between me and my husband) were :
  • Sedan (strictly no SUV)
  • Sedan (no hatchback with boot)
  • New car (my husband was keen on a used car with intent to mod!)
  • Diesel engine
  • Driving Comfort
  • Power and Pickup
  • After Sales Service
  • Price upto 15L
After a lot of discussions (primarily between me, my husband and a couple of his gearhead friends) we have discarded the Vento, NFF, Verna, Octavia, Altis, SX4 and have zeroed down on :

1. My choice = Chevrolet Cruze LT
2. My husband's choice = Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT

I once did the mistake of posting this on an Optra thread and all I got were pro-Optra comments, so am looking at some other views as well!
Old 9th September 2011, 12:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze or the Chevrolet Optra - Which car and why?

You have not mentioned the monthly usage kms of this vehicle. Since you are hell bent of diesel motor,
1. Cruze, Peppy 150Bhp motor engine - Optra is 120bhp
2. Cruze MT has a noticeable turbo lag - Optra has a negligible Turbo lag
3. Cruze, rear seats are cramped - Optra has comparatively good rear space
4. Cruze has more bells and whistles - Optra has a practically required equipment
5. Cruze has a youth image - Optra has a executive image
6. Cruze is younger in the market and looks hot - Optra has old school looks
7. Cruze is mod friendly and looks great when modded tastefully - Optra looks best in stock form.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 12:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
You have not mentioned the monthly usage kms of this vehicle.
1. Cruze, Peppy 150Bhp motor engine - Optra is 120bhp
The diesel engine - one of the requirements of my husband - he 'NEEDS' the starting torque and also plans some mods!

150 bhp vs 120 bhp - I tried this argument with my husband - this is the reply I got - "Both have the same engines, and hence the Optra can easily churn out the same power with a remap or a Pete's box or a RaceChip".
He was planning to get a used Optra and get the remap done so that he as atleast 150bhp and 380 Nm torque.

But the Cruze has more linear power delivery doesn't it? I have also read that the Optra also has quite a bit of lag.
Old 9th September 2011, 12:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

+1 to 2500cc views, agree with all of them.

@blue orchid - Your husband's choice is more apt in this dilema, no offence meant. Optra for one is more VFM buy than the Cruze. It ticks all your requirement to a T. Any particular reason for being a Chevy fan and discarding other choices?

All the best.
Old 9th September 2011, 12:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Cruze is doubtlessly more modern than the Optra in terms of the features offered and looks, but the Optra is arguably the better car to drive. I would personally opt for the Cruze because it looks better and has all those bells and whistles that really justify the price tag, and it's going to be really, really hard for you guys to turn down a Cruze.

From a purely practical point of view, I find the rear seats of the Cruze a bit cramped but I'm not sure if space is a major consideration for you guys. Also, there's the small matter of prestige and snob value, an area where the Cruze scores over the Optra. Going purely on the criteria you cited though I'd still go for the Cruze.

Also, why only Diesel? How much will the car run each month? Good luck with your decision making either way!
Old 9th September 2011, 13:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@blue orchid - Your husband's choice is more apt in this dilema, no offence meant. Optra for one is more VFM buy than the Cruze. It ticks all your requirement to a T. Any particular reason for being a Chevy fan and discarding other choices?
And I was hoping I would get some support for the Cruze

Reasons for both the choices being Chevy -
1. The Cruze was my first and only choice - I liked the car - period! I got into the technicals only when my husband started arguing over my choice (thats why I joined tBHP - till then hp and Nm just denoted figures, FE and speed and number of gears were the only numbers I understood and turbo, fgt, vgt, turbo lag, crdi etc were completely unknown to me).

2. My husband tried and tested a lot of cars with his friends - he completely ruled out the Vento (snobs, overrated, overpriced, noisy, cramped), NFF (small engine, high cost), Verna (too light, not enough power, toy car), Altis D (no power!), SX4 (no ways with the 1.3L engine). He is a Magnum fan - that't it.

Had either the Cruze or the Optra been non-Chevy, our choices would have included non-Chevys.
Anyways, do you suggest some other car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post

Also, why only Diesel? How much will the car run each month? Good luck with your decision making either way!
The running does not matter here. A diesel he want, a diesel he gets
With the engines being more refined now, the maintenance of the diesel engines should no longer be an issue.
Also, we already have 2 petrols, so why not a diesel?

Last edited by .anshuman : 11th September 2011 at 12:31. Reason: Please limit Smiley usage to Max 2 per post. Please go through Team-BHP Rules. Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 13:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
The diesel engine - one of the requirements of my husband - he 'NEEDS' the starting torque and also plans some mods!

150 bhp vs 120 bhp - I tried this argument with my husband - this is the reply I got - "Both have the same engines, and hence the Optra can easily churn out the same power with a remap or a Pete's box or a RaceChip".
He was planning to get a used Optra and get the remap done so that he as atleast 150bhp and 380 Nm torque.

But the Cruze has more linear power delivery doesn't it? I have also read that the Optra also has quite a bit of lag.
I would never ever mess with engine and suspension setup. This would be last thing I can think of doing.

Both the cars deliver linear power. Its just that the Cruze gets faster to the 0-100km

All the turbo'ed diesels have lag, its just that some have more than the other.
As per our leading car reviewers here, Vento's turbo lag is next to none. Nonetheless there is a lag.
Old 9th September 2011, 13:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

I had seen this post in which he talks about 'how to beat the lag in the Optra', which means that Optra does have a lag, no?

Note to mods : I had tried posting this earlier by editing the existing post, but the time limit or the approval before posting did not allow me to do so - hence new post.
Old 9th September 2011, 13:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Definitely Cruze is the better choice as you have the adequate amount to buy cruze, why should you look for Optra.
Cruze is modern and peppier than Optra and you never regret on buying Chevy Cruze.
Old 9th September 2011, 14:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Definitely Cruze is the better choice as you have the adequate amount to buy cruze, why should you look for Optra.
Me having the money to buy the Cruze does not justify me buying the Cruze. I definitely like the Cruze, but I need to have a half decent argument in favour of the Cruze over the Optra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Cruze is modern and peppier than Optra and you never regret on buying Chevy Cruze.
I would like to have some justifications as to why I would not regret buying the Cruze and conversely if and why I might regret buying the Optra!
Old 9th September 2011, 15:54   #11
Team-BHP Support

That's quite a unique query!

I looked up the differences between the 2 and the one that shows up (on the technical front) is the 150 vs. 120 BHP. The others are w.r.t. suspension, brakes or cosmetic.

Since both are Chevy cars, you needn't worry about A.S.S.

Quote:
But when you get 150 without mods, why buy a 120 BHP car and then mod it?

Technically, Cruze wins. Look wise, Cruze wins (my opinion).

Ultimately, Optra is fast dating out; there is no "facelift" or value addition since long. Although that cannot be an exuse for a hardcore enthusiast, why not go for a fresh model?

Go for the Cruze!

Why you might regret the Optra : discontinuation (which is imminent) leading to quick depreciation.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th September 2011 at 16:08.
Old 9th September 2011, 16:03   #12
BANNED

Quote:
1. My choice = Chevrolet Cruze LT
2. My husband's choice = Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT
The Cruze is my choice too. Simply put, it is a newer, better finished, more powerful, better handling and a chic looking car compared to the Optra. Over the years it will also hold on to its value more than the Optra cutting down on your depreciation damages too.

And yes, it has just replaced the Toyota Camry as the largest selling mid size sedan in the world.

Why do you prefer the Cruze?
Old 9th September 2011, 16:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Me having the money to buy the Cruze does not justify me buying the Cruze. I definitely like the Cruze, but I need to have a half decent argument in favour of the Cruze over the Optra.

I would like to have some justifications as to why I would not regret buying the Cruze and conversely if and why I might regret buying the Optra!
Madam,

From the points I mentioned, except for the space Cruze beats Optra in other departments. Dont these points justify the Cruze over optra ?

Other point is, No other cars in this range (>15L) will give you such a beastly motor with generous levels of equipment thrown in.

Else if you can stretch your budget by about 2L you can even consider the new Jetta.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 9th September 2011, 16:10   #14
BHPian

Since your budget is 15L, why bother with the Optra? Its almost on the verge of being phased out and does look a bit dated. The Cruze is more modern, definitely a better looker and feels like one heck of a machine.

The Optra Magnum is an excellent VFM car which also does the job equally well. A tuning kit can get the power/torque on par with the Cruze. And you also end up saving around 4L.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 9th September 2011 at 16:11.
Old 9th September 2011, 16:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Madam,

Other point is, No other cars in this range (>15L) will give you such a beastly motor with generous levels of equipment thrown in.
Except probably the Optra :(
That's the point - it has the same beastly motor, so this argument is not going to help between the Optra and the Cruze. My husband is a gearhead and will probably rattle out a list of the specs that I will not be able to defend.

What I am looking at is a chink in Optra's armour - some issue with the turbo or the suspensions or the braking or general performance - only that can help me.

Quote:
Madam,

Else if you can stretch your budget by about 2L you can even consider the new Jetta.
VW as such is out (attitude probs) - so no Vento, Jetta (or Passat in the future)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Over the years it will also hold on to its value more than the Optra cutting down on your depreciation damages too.

Why do you prefer the Cruze?
Resale value is of no issue. My husband's family does not sell their cars (all vehicles bought till date are still with us in working condition)

I liked the Cruze for the mean look that it has - and the nice growl that it produces - it just clicked, that's it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Since your budget is 15L, why bother with the Optra? Its almost on the verge of being phased out and does look a bit dated. The Cruze is more modern, definitely a better looker and feels like one heck of a machine.

The Optra Magnum is an excellent VFM car which also does the job equally well. A tuning kit can get the power/torque on par with the Cruze. And you also end up saving around 4L.
Had it been only me, I would have already bought the Cruze - I am 'bothering' with the Optra for my hubby (he will not accept spending on something without a proper justification)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks