Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 13:21   #61
BANNED

Re: Chevrolet Cruze or the Chevrolet Optra - Which car and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I have TDed the Optra 1.6 petrol and liked it very much, that was way back in 2005 when my Accent was in for a replacement. I TDed the Cruze and must say didn't like it at all, very hard clutch and poor ride and was very uncomfy on TD itself. Would I recommend the Optra, nope, would make a good second hand buy not as a new car for its very very long in the tooth, (same way as I wouldn't advise any one to buy a 2nd hand Elantra, now, though I have one and am very happy with it). I have TDed the Sonata Transform CRDI(manual) and was very happy with it: soft clutch, next to nothing lag, mind you I have driven a petrol for the last 16 years. I know all the guys would shake their heads in disapproval, coz the Sonata Transform CRDI has completely gone out of the radar of buyers due to dowdy image, but it's one helluva car. I'm actually waiting for a clearance sale of the Sonata CRDI and will make one good buy then, now it's too pricey for a car that sells in single digits every month.
Dude -

You are talking here about the 16L + category, the thread initiator is looking for VFM options !!

Pardon me but I guess you are making this a bit murkier.

Sonata CRDi is like a quagmire, you won't be able to get out of it, if Optra stinks (on the resale dept., which is a perception to me) then the Sonata is long dead and buried.

Sonata has been @ 16L for ages and I hope in the clearance sale you are not looking @ 10L

Happy Motoring !!
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:49   #62
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : If you are asking for help on this community, BE CORDIAL to those chipping in. We do NOT permit a rude demeanor on Team-BHP, being polite will take you a long way.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2011 at 17:21. Reason: Do NOT post rude messages on this forum
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:26   #63
BHPian

I went with a few of my colleagues for a 30 mins drive in the city. There was a Linea owner seated in the rear. Once we reached the destination, his first comment was that the rear seat comfort in Magnum is far better than that of Linea. Another colleague seated on the front passenger seat was amazed at the cabin size and the seats. Optra has to be experienced, both drive and comfort. It definitely shows when the co-passenger is trying to reach out for something on the dash and the seat belt is bothering them
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:28   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Cruze

1. The best looking C+ segment out there ( Almost undoubtedly) and
sporty and style statement

2. Tank Like build quality

3. The most powerful engine this side of 20 Lakhs

4. The maximum number of "wow" features this side of 20 lakhs

5. Straight line accelaration is mindboggling ( you will gasp for sure)

6. Excellent Ride quality and gobbles up potholes like nobody's business.
Handling is also superior to many other cars in its segment and can be
improved further with a change to stock tyres

7. Reasonable maintenance cost except for the expensive brake pad change which is "supposed" to happen at 22000kms and will cost you roughly 14K for both front and rear pads. I have driven mine till 18,500kms and currently at Rs.050/km maintenance figure

8. As a owner of this beast for last 14 months, I can vouch for this car every inch of the way and not a single moment of regret till date

9. If given an option to buy a new car. I will buy the CRUZE again but, the new 164bhp ( which will come in 2012/13). Power is never enough..eh?

10. Even with a hard foot on the gas, it will return 11kmpl on diesel

Optra Magnum

1. Decent looking sedan. More executive class

2. Good build quality

3. For the price you pay, that engine is the most powerful and has "almost" the same wow factor as Cruze

4. Lack of convenience features and interiors look dated

5. Stock alloys look really bad. Previous ones were much better. Must change to enhance the exterior looks

6. Excellent Ride and Decent handling quality

7. Maintenance costs are cheaper than the Cruze

8. Not a great re-sale value

Bottomline, as the fight is ONLY between these two cars, if you have the extra few lakhs, dont think twice and buy the lower-end version of the Cruze. If budget is tight, go for the magnum.

It's that simple !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:36   #65
BHPian

If you want to feel like a 10 year old, go for the Cruze. If you want a 10 year old car, go for the Optra Magnum.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:39   #66

Hey Blueorchid.....

I have bought an Optra Magnum LT about a couple of weeks back.......
If you are comparing between the Cruze and Optra.... there is no denying Cruz has more power and lot more bells and whistles....which dont mean diddly squat.. more on that later....
But here are my 2 bits on why I chose the Optra ....

The Optra has a lot more space in the rear than the cruz. Really makes a difference if you are out with the family.

I liked the beige leather interiors compared to the black only option available on the Cruz. I find beige interiors give the car a more airy feel, black starts to feel dull and claustrophobic after a while.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but the Optra has independent suspension in front AND rear. The Cruz has macpherson struts only at the front.
This, in my opinion makes a world of difference in the ride quality.
I found the ride quality of the Optra better than the Cruz.

The optra has fairly decent power outage. Unless you like to drag race every time you stop at the red light, the Optra power is more than sufficient for average needs. I found it purrs like a cat when sedate, and roars like a lion when required.

Admittedly, the image of the Optra is dated. But I thought...., 3 -5 years hence, Cruz will loose its fresh look feel as well. Frankly, I dont put much thought into the resale process. You will definitely get higher price for the Cruz, but your initial investment is also significantly higher.

The Optra is selling well with corporates. Insider information from GM confirms that the Optra is unlikely to be phased out / replaced anytime in near future.

I don't think just because you have the money to buy a Cruz you MUST buy it.
We buy all our cars on outright purchase basis.... and have bought a brand new MB C250 CDI in May.
Still I chose the Optra, because, for the price, it offers tremendous value.
Chevrolet offered me a 65K discount, bringing down the price to 10,30,000 OTR Mumbai.

Bells and whistles and other features be damned. I have a thread here somewhere on my disappointing experience with the Fluidic Verna. ( i had gotten the top of the line variant and sold it off in a month)
Id rather have a car that does few things really well than have a car with lots of features I seldom use.

Lastly, take both the optra and the cruz for extensive test drives. There is a noticeable difference in the ride.

Wish you all the best.

Cheers.
Old 11th October 2011, 17:36   #67
BHPian

For a moment just imagine you have both Cruze and Optra in your driveway. Everytime you go out, which keys would you pick?

If it is optra most of the time .. optra it is.

If it is Cruze... are you be willing to pay that extra 3 -4 lacs to have that option for a few years?
Old 11th October 2011, 18:46   #68
Oxy
BHPian

Blueorchid - Have you tried the Fluence? I think it's a great car.

I suggest you to take a test drive of all the cars in the 16L range and then take a call. I am not sure as to why you are not considering any other options.
Old 12th October 2011, 18:38   #69
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

To keep it simple just looking at the subject since all +ve and -ve are already discussed. Cruz for the modern tech, features, and all that we normally want in a car. Optra vs the Cruz - for the Price, Price and Price. - Still a Bad Idea.
Old 12th October 2011, 20:03   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomonstar View Post
Hey Blueorchid.....

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but the Optra has independent suspension in front AND rear. The Cruz has macpherson struts only at the front.
This, in my opinion makes a world of difference in the ride quality.
I found the ride quality of the Optra better than the Cruz.

I don't think just because you have the money to buy a Cruz you MUST buy it.

Lastly, take both the optra and the cruz for extensive test drives. There is a noticeable difference in the ride.
You should check the posts from the 3 musketeers of Optra - Poitive, Keyur and Torquedo - they have mentioned it well enough

I agree that you should not buy the car just because you have the money, but again, if you have the money and you really like that car, why not?

Extensive test drives done, each one has it's own merits and demerits. The choice will be declared soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
For a moment just imagine you have both Cruze and Optra in your driveway. Everytime you go out, which keys would you pick?

If it is optra most of the time .. optra it is.

If it is Cruze... are you be willing to pay that extra 3 -4 lacs to have that option for a few years?
I wish that could be true - both cars in the driveway - then my hubby could take the Optra and I the Cruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Blueorchid - Have you tried the Fluence? I think it's a great car.

I suggest you to take a test drive of all the cars in the 16L range and then take a call. I am not sure as to why you are not considering any other options.
The Fluence is out for the unproven After Sales, if nothing else. We have tested quite a few cars and the end choice is between these two.
Old 12th October 2011, 21:02   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Blueorchid - Have you tried the Fluence? I think it's a great car. I suggest you to take a test drive of all the cars in the 16L range and then take a call. I am not sure as to why you are not considering any other options.
If blueorchid has to widen his horizons then why not add Jetta and the Superb to the list. Skoda is about to launch an "Ambition" (lower end) model of the Superb in a few weeks.

Please read post no.62 by the Starter of this thread. They are not interested in other cars. All these discussions are immaterial as (AFAIK) he has decided on the Optra unless of course they have read GTO posts coming down heavily against the Optra and changed their mind.

Here is a link (Kindly read post no.128 and other posts by GTO) -http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2519293

Last edited by Gautam Misra : 12th October 2011 at 21:14.
Old 13th October 2011, 14:51   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
You should check the posts from the 3 musketeers of Optra - Poitive, Keyur and Torquedo - they have mentioned it well enough
AAhhh... I havent read each post. True words, by all three.

Quote:
I agree that you should not buy the car just because you have the money, but again, if you have the money and you really like that car, why not?
If you really like the Cruz, then there is really no point in discussing, innit??
but the Cruz has less of a VFM factor, an important criterion for you, no?
Is it a battle between the heart and the head??

Quote:
Extensive test drives done, each one has it's own merits and demerits. The choice will be declared soon!
we shall await the outcome

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th October 2011 at 10:07. Reason: Fixing the quote tags in the quoted post.
Old 13th October 2011, 23:54   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
He he, thanks for the mention
And as I have already been dubbed a musketeer (out of Athos, Porthos and Aramis), I call dibs for Porthos!!
Old 14th October 2011, 00:27   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
unless of course they have read GTO posts coming down heavily against the Optra and changed their mind.
Both of us have read GTO's posts and they were not enough to budge my husband (and apart from the fact that I would love to get the Cruze, I too felt that the comments were a tad too much!)

Our requirements were very clear, so these kind of posts make no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomonstar View Post

If you really like the Cruz, then there is really no point in discussing, innit??

Is it a battle between the heart and the head??
The point is only because I and my husband are differing on it - me alone liking the Cruze does not get me the Cruze.

It is a battle between me and my husband!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
I call dibs for Porthos!!
Right, so with the powers vested in me, I dub thee Ser Porthos the Pirate!
Old 14th October 2011, 01:35   #75
BHPian

Really sorry to say but this thread is not exactly informative. Instead of Cruze vs Optra, I am seeing points about husband vs wife.

Just sharing what I feel about quality of this thread on otherwise a high viewed section of T-BHP.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks