Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2006, 22:50   #91
BHPian

Petrol or Diesel !

If you are planning to buy a FIAT car , its better you get it from a FIAT dealer....anyway,since you are considering PETRA,the TATA-FIAT alliance is ruled out.One thing I really don't understand is that - Have you made up your mind regarding Petrol or diesel ? you need to freeze that first.
If you plan to go for Diesel ,again its a plethora of choices !
There are few threads on PETRA..so my suggestion is that you better refer those threads before rocking this thread again

Everyone has banged their heads for PETROL : Esteem,Indigo,Ikon - now not a new war again please
Old 31st May 2006, 02:39   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde
One thing I really don't understand is that - Have you made up your mind regarding Petrol or diesel ? you need to freeze that first.

Everyone has banged their heads for PETROL : Esteem,Indigo,Ikon - now not a new war again please
Since my usage is going to be low..it doesn't really matter whether I go for Petrol or Diesel..its gonna make no major impact on FE.
With esteem..i'll get a older design but highly reliable car
With Petra...i'll get a stronger car - safety aspects.

Again I repeat -- inclination 99% towards esteem, but if I get a good deal on Petra ..why not??????

Regards,
ICEMAN
Old 31st May 2006, 08:54   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz
Since my usage is going to be low..it doesn't really matter whether I go for Petrol or Diesel..its gonna make no major impact on FE.
hahaha, this guys is sure crazy!

how will you reach that break even point, if you purchases a diesel car for quite additional amount and then runs it for a 'walkable' short distance?!!

and when you are not going to have any benefit from diesel, how will you justify the extra amount spent of diesel model?!

filling cheaper fuel only doesnot gives you better money2run ratio, (like power2weight ratio) !!

icemanz,
you need to know a lot about petrol and diesel cars!
decide about your fuel first and then go for a car!

hehehe!

note from moderator
Please refrain from making personal remarks and mocking other members, remember we all were newbies once

Last edited by tsk1979 : 31st May 2006 at 09:40.
Old 31st May 2006, 09:13   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
whoooooa man... are you blindly supporting esteem or what! Do you know the ABC of car safety.... for Airbags to work you need to have a strong body shell first... Esteem isnt even as safe as a Santro! I have seen people shouting how good esteem's performance is... but what abt accesible performance.. Which car would be more safer at 120-130 kph... an Indigo, Petra, Ikon or Esteem!
More metal or heavy car does not automatically translate into safer car. Get your basics right before trying to grade cars on safety. Occupants of none of the above cars would stand a chance if taking a direct frontal hit at high speeds irrespective of their weight. And if you read my post correctly, I did not say that Esteem is safer than the Flair. I said "none of the cars mentioned by the thread creator come with safety features". And with nothing on that count to differentiate between them, it would be foolish to say that one of them is safer than the other, just because it has some more steel packed in. It could in fact turn out to be detrimental, if not done properly.
P.S.: Are there safety ratings available for these cars? Anyone ???
Old 31st May 2006, 11:03   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I said "none of the cars mentioned by the thread creator come with safety features". And with nothing on that count to differentiate between them, it would be foolish to say that one of them is safer than the other, just because it has some more steel packed in.
I dont think, i should even argue with you on this, its primary school stuff.... i give up!
Old 31st May 2006, 11:15   #96
BHPian

Quote:
With esteem..i'll get a older design but highly reliable car
With Petra...i'll get a stronger car - safety aspects.

Again I repeat -- inclination 99% towards esteem, but if I get a good deal on Petra ..why not??????

Regards,
ICEMAN
Icemanz - are you considering PETRA Diesel or Petrol...?
When you say that your running is low then I just want to add few points :

-Its better you stick to Petrol and don't venture into the Diesel category...if you foresee that yr running might increase in future,then you may think of Diesel...
Like I said in my earlier post,If you are thinking of Diesel,its a whole new arena and there are few other cars which may again be brought into contention...

You have nowhere mentioned your avg running per month etc...can you elaborate on that?I am sorry If I missed out

My humblest advice to you is that if you like Esteem,Please go ahead and buy it...

Last edited by nitinhegde : 31st May 2006 at 11:26.
Old 31st May 2006, 11:19   #97
Senior - BHPian

Chill out guyz..!!!

Every "what car?" thread seems to end into a personal war....
End Result:
Either the thread starter buys some other car or Moderators close the thread itself....

KP
Old 31st May 2006, 11:44   #98
Senior - BHPian

nitin, I think he is quite confused and that is not surprising because this is his 1st purchase and apart from the options suggested on this forum, his friends might also be recommending certain models, adding to his confusion. I think we should give him some time to firm up his requirements.
Old 31st May 2006, 13:21   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
note from moderator
Please refrain from making personal remarks and mocking other members, remember we all were newbies once
i am anxious to know what wrong did i committed?!

seriously, i considers myself as not-guilty for any post of mine in this thread or anywhere else on this forum till date.

infact i am myself bearing the grunt of several member's indirect assaults, but i never complained.

so please don't lodge that warning against me, please.
Old 1st June 2006, 03:03   #100
BHPian

don't kill me guys...am new n learning all about cars!!
Well..i'm sticking to Petrol as my per day usage will be low and will be booking my ESTEEM VXI soon --- AMEN !!!

Few questions before we close this post:
1> Is it advisable to buy cars during monsoon??
2> I've heard that dealers drop prices during monsoons due to low sales, is this true?

Regards,
ICEMAN.
Old 1st June 2006, 09:21   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
don't kill me guys...am new n learning all about cars!!
Well..i'm sticking to Petrol as my per day usage will be low and will be booking my ESTEEM VXI soon --- AMEN !!!
Few questions before we close this post:
1> Is it advisable to buy cars during monsoon??
2> I've heard that dealers drop prices during monsoons due to low sales, is this true?
Take your time, icemanz. No need to rush into a decision which is going to cost you 5L or more. Testdrive all the cars (Esteem, Flair, Indigo, Petra, ...) that you have shortlisted, with a friend. Bargain hard (real hard) for the best deal. The car market is pretty competitive and you will be surprised at how much you can save by just talking and pitting various dealers against each other. And if you are buying on finance, there is a lot of bargaining to be done here also. Get quotes (EMI per lakh) from different financiers, again pit one against the other and keep going down as much as possible.

I don't see anything wrong in buying cars during monsoon. And you being in Kerala, where it is raining almost all round the year, when will be the best time to buy a car anyway ? Ofcourse, being in wet Kerala, there are some car care tips that you would need to follow to ensure that your car has a long life. PM me after the car purchase and we can talk that over. I have no idea about any monsoon offers (even though a Mallu, I have spent most of my life outside Kerala). Most manufacturers come up with some offer or the other every now and then. Maybe some of our Kerala tbhp-ians might be knowing. You could PM jkdas or Steeroid etc for details.

And excuse us if we sounded impatient. It's just that the guys here who spend their valuable time researching and advising people on "What car?" get impatient to know what the thread creator is going for.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 1st June 2006 at 09:23.
Old 1st June 2006, 12:40   #102
BHPian

Icemanz,

As you said,you are an inexperienced driver and are starting with a Sedan,I suggest you take as many test drives as possible as it will be like a practise for you...and that too - free of cost
Old 1st June 2006, 18:50   #103
BHPian

please avoid the esteem and indigo - both are really sad in their own ways. try the petra - brilliant, under-rated car, well within your budget too. fiat's HQ in mumbai, service is also pretty good here.
anyway, test drive all options and then decide. good luck!!
Old 5th June 2006, 10:47   #104
BHPian

ICEMANZ,whts the update ?u there ?
Old 6th June 2006, 02:57   #105
BHPian

Rip !!

Iceman will rest in Peace for now ...till I buy an esteem vxi --- AMEN !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks