Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2006, 09:10   #106

Thanks for starting this thread... I am returning back to India next month and will go in for the Esteem VXI.
God Bless
Old 6th June 2006, 10:37   #107
BHPian

Esteem, Petra, Indigo Ikon.
Looks
1 Petra- Looks solid, balanced and manly.
2 Ikon- Also looks solid, clean smooth lines with no edges and sharp corners.
3 Esteem- Just about tolerable, old and nondescript look.
4 Indigo- Weird look, boot seems to have been added to the indica as an afterthought.

Engine
1 Esteem- Extremely smooth and responsive. The lightweight body also helps.
2 Petra- 1.6 has a lot of grunt.
3 Ikon- Have not driven. can not say, though the 1.6 feels strong though not as smooth as the Esteem.
4 Indigo- Do not like. Feels just a tad bit smoother than the diesel.

Handling
1 Esteem- Simply because it is light.
2 Petra- Debatable whether it can take the first spot, close second. On the highway though, it beats the Esteem with its rock solid feel.
3 Ikon- Close third
4 Indigo- Soft suspension takes its toll here.

Comfort
1 Indigo- You hardly feel the bumps. Rear seats the best.
2 Ikon- Suspension slightly softer than the Petra gives it the edge.
3 Petra- A driver's car fiat did not bother too much about comfort. But still the weight of the car works in its favour in this respect.
4 Esteem- Lightweight body is easily thrown around over bumps and in potholes.

Cost of maintenance
1 Esteem- Spares cheap now and maruti service is reliable
2 Indigo- Spares reasonably cheap, but Tata service a few notches below Maruti
3 Ikon- Expensive spares and service not exactly inexpensive
4 Petra- Spares are expensive (getting cheaper since the past few months) but the car does not need too many visits to the service centre except for regular service. But service is nothing worth writing home about.

That is my view. Rate the cars and decide what you want.
Old 6th June 2006, 10:43   #108
BHPian

Dear Prabhu,
Thanks for yr inputs...
the thread is near to being closed...so,yr comments may spark off a new war again
Old 6th June 2006, 11:51   #109
BHPian

Prabhu, though the looks aspect is debateable coz its subjective. Other things you have mentioned are spot on Your post is a definate help in this thread
Old 6th June 2006, 11:53   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydindian
Thanks for starting this thread... I am returning back to India next month and will go in for the Esteem VXI.
God Bless
Good Luck and don't forget to bargain hard, very hard
Old 6th June 2006, 12:22   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde
Dear Prabhu,
Thanks for yr inputs...
the thread is near to being closed...so,yr comments may spark off a new war again
Had some time on my hands this morning. So, thought I would try just that.
Old 6th June 2006, 13:43   #112
Senior - BHPian

For those Esteem/Flair 1.3 lovers:

You like the car, great! You find it the best car, great! Is it the best VFM product, great! Now buy it and be happy, but please stop comparing it Petra 1.6.

If you are so keen on comparing Petra, do it with Baleno or 1.6 SXI and not with Esteem/Flair.
Old 6th June 2006, 14:02   #113
Senior - BHPian

I agree. Comparing the Petra1.6 with 1.3L cars (Esteem, Flair) etc is not correct.
But then @RX135, IMO it does not look intentional. The thread starter had the Esteem and Indigo in his sights initially. Then people suggested the Flair and the Petra. If I remember right, icemanz had a budget of 5L or something. Does Petra come in this budget ? If Yes, then maybe that is the reason why people suggested it.
Old 6th June 2006, 15:06   #114
Senior - BHPian

Sorry everyone, I was just flustered with those comparisons. Accept my humble apologies!

Everyone has right to put forth their thoughts, and it doesn't matter even if that is annoying for me or someone else. Please continue your discussion again. Sorry for going OT here.
Old 6th June 2006, 15:28   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
Handling
1 Esteem- Simply because it is light.
2 Petra- Debatable whether it can take the first spot, close second. On the highway though, it beats the Esteem with its rock solid feel.
3 Ikon- Close third
4 Indigo- Soft suspension takes its toll here.

Comfort
1 Indigo- You hardly feel the bumps. Rear seats the best.
2 Ikon- Suspension slightly softer than the Petra gives it the edge.
3 Petra- A driver's car fiat did not bother too much about comfort. But still the weight of the car works in its favour in this respect.
4 Esteem- Lightweight body is easily thrown around over bumps and in potholes.
Agreed with everything except the two above... Have you ever driven a Petra or these comparisons were only in the mind!
Ride and Handling compromise is still the best in petra, even cars priced higher than it.
In my view Ikon takes top honours in handling department, followed closely by Petra.
Petra ride is awesome... no doubt about it.
Old 6th June 2006, 16:02   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Agreed with everything except the two above... Have you ever driven a Petra or these comparisons were only in the mind!
Ride and Handling compromise is still the best in petra, even cars priced higher than it.
In my view Ikon takes top honours in handling department, followed closely by Petra.
Petra ride is awesome... no doubt about it.
I have driven the Petra. It is set up slightly in favour of the driver rather than the back seat (or for that matter front seat) passenger. Unlike the Indigo. I agree with you that the balance is perfect for the driver. But many people will prefer the Indigo's soft suspension in the city. Highway drives particularly curvy roads will of course lead to a different conclusion.
But then on the highway,I have not driven the Petra and my conclusion in respect of handling is purely based on city traffic where it does feel heavier than the Esteem.

Last edited by prabuddhadg : 6th June 2006 at 16:05.
Old 6th June 2006, 16:07   #117
Senior - BHPian

I think go for Esteem Vxi based on the criterias you have listed. I personally own an Esteem, and am pretty happy owner (barring some safety concerns). I have seen some horrible crashes involving Esteem and thats what shakes my confidence in the car.
However in terms of FE, Cost of Ownership, etc. Esteem truly outclasses most competition. I am getting my Esteem (2004 Aug new looks) CNG fitted, due to increasing fuel prices. I still recomend it to folks who want a car with a boot and have a budget around 5 lakhs.
Will I buy an Esteem again? Never (primarily as I have become more safety concious now). Is my family (my dad) happy with Esteem? He is so happy that he cant stop singing prayers for that car.
Old 6th June 2006, 16:49   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I think go for Esteem Vxi based on the criterias you have listed. I personally own an Esteem, and am pretty happy owner (barring some safety concerns). I have seen some horrible crashes involving Esteem and thats what shakes my confidence in the car.
However in terms of FE, Cost of Ownership, etc. Esteem truly outclasses most competition. I am getting my Esteem (2004 Aug new looks) CNG fitted, due to increasing fuel prices. I still recomend it to folks who want a car with a boot and have a budget around 5 lakhs.
Will I buy an Esteem again? Never (primarily as I have become more safety concious now). Is my family (my dad) happy with Esteem? He is so happy that he cant stop singing prayers for that car.
Good to see that some of us value safety now!
Old 6th June 2006, 17:09   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Good to see that some of us value safety now!

Dude, Safety was one of the primary reasons y I bought a Palio over any other hatch- my one year old baby would be travelling in the car and I cant take any chances.

I am sure there must be more like me out there
Old 6th June 2006, 17:20   #120
BHPian

I would suggest you Esteem (VXI). The new look gives the esteem a different thought for the people. I own one and am very happy driving it. It is smooth and sensetive and very responsive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks