Increase Budget or Consider Deisel 34 12.83%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2018, 23:25   #331
BHPian

Re: Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I would say the opposite. We bought 2 Ciaz's 4 years ago when it was just launched for two of our company CXOs and both their cars are running very well.
Thats actually interesting to know. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
On the other hand, Autocar had only good things to say about Tata Nexon diesel AMT. Not in your shortlist for any particular reason?
She can be a bit shallow and womanese when it comes to her choice of brands. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I think the Verna and the Ecosport are clearly the better cars in terms of build and it overall quality levels. Suzuki is what it is, VFM, cheap to run, easy to maintain and sell and all that. But if you want something that is slightly better than the run of the mill suzukis, I think the Verna and the Ecosport are clearly the better choices.
Yup you are on the same line of thought as me. Her brother owns a Ecosport and CIAZ. he cant wait to get rid of the ecosport, as it seems "heavy" to drive. The ciaz seems the logical choice for every measure except for the 4AT box and build quality. But it also matters how comfortable you are in the inside and how flexible the car is for ladies. It has to be quite omnirole - doctor duties, kids, shopping, kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Does Verna come with 5 speed AT? Baleno comes with CVT which is smooth and fuel efficient compared to the Torque Converter on the Verna.
In fact it is 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
Yes, Baleno comes with CVT but that was not in the options list; it was a Ciaz which, even in this facelift, manages to get only the 4-Speed TC AT from the earlier version. Hyundai's Verna, on the other hand, gets the smooth 6-speed TC AT which was initially made available in the Creta. Verna clearly has the upper hand here.
However the verna does have a very bad rear bench! its too sad man. Deal breaker like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Of the selected cars. I would reject the Verna, for lack of features and the Brezza for its basic AT, the AMT.

Between the Ciaz and Ecosport, you would need to choose based on what your priority is.

I'll recommend the Ecosport since it comes with all bases covered when it comes to safety. An alloy change and a few subtle mods like blacking out the grills will increase the snob value too.
Overall ecosport is an ok car for sure. negatives are a small boot and unncessarily wide tyres that give it a heavy car feel. Ciaz has everything except build quality and a very sad AT. Besides the contrast to the City AT is a bit much.

Overall thank you guys for your wonderful support. We booked the Ciaz Alpha AT in white and we may just blacken the alloys for looks! Somehow i guess head and the pocket won over the heart in this battle.

Last edited by acidkill : 26th September 2018 at 23:34.
acidkill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 23:16   #332
BHPian

I am in a similar quandary as the OP. I am looking for a vehicle with an auto transmission since I drive around 70 kms everyday, much of that through Mumbai city traffic. This will replace my 2010 Manza petrol which has done around 50k kms and will be used along with my Liva Diesel which does duty as my primary vehicle. To give an example of my running, of the 77K kms the Liva has run, less than 10K will be the distance traveled where the car has gone past the tolls at the city entrances.

Primary considerations -
  • Transmission - Automatic (for the reasons above)
  • Fuel - Petrol or Diesel (Given my running, diesel may make more sense but prefer a petrol since I am replacing a petrol vehicle)
  • Budget - 10L OTR (Courtesy the wife who is a typical bean counter)
  • Has to be new (so no pre-loved) again on wife's orders
  • Interior Space - All of us are tall and hence leg and head room (Actually dad tends to stretch his legs and couple of times bumped his knee into my back when seated behind me in the Manza. My own driving position has the seat fully pushed back and backrest leaning a bit back)
  • Height - Given the cars I have had so far, no one like to bend to get into the car (Actually, the Figo got rejected when I was in the market for the a hatch in 2013 since the wife banged her head when getting in and out of the showroom car). Further, dad finds the City too low as well.
  • Shape - Sedan preferred since this car will be replacing a sedan. SUVs are out since they are viewed as too big.
Cars considered -
  1. Hyundai Verna - Sat in the car and was rejected due to lack of space in the rear and price.
  2. Hyundai Xcent - ok on space but the TD vehicle was not available. Will schedule it in a couple of weeks when i have a little time. However, the fact that it is widely used by Ola and Uber is a drawback but can live with it.
  3. Honda Amaze - TD the V CVT Diesel and is currently in contention but may opt for the V CVT Petrol since I like the paddles. The petrol was not available for TD and will be done later. Wife has been pushing for the S variant since the V variant does not add anything to safety and hence not worth the extra money ( with an accountant) Will fight that battle later but any pointers will help.
  4. Maruti Ciaz - Again out on price, height of the car and rear seating space. Further, wife could not fit in the drivers seat, her leg got caught below the steering when getting in.
  5. Ford Ecosport - Exposed spare tyre and out it goes
  6. Maruti Dzire - We have had bad experiences with the attitude of Maruti showrooms and hence did not even visit it
  7. VAG twins - Not considered
  8. Toyota Yaris - Out of budget

Of the 2 cars in contention, Xcent and Amaze, I have the following concerns
1. Xcent - Issues with the ACC and trip meter resets mentioned in the Official review thread. I know that these are olders Xcents but could not find an reviews of the latest edition. Did Hyundai fix this issue in the 2018 Xcents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
  • The AC sucks. The AC sucks. The AC sucks.
  • Non standard specs of the tyres. Only one manufacturer makes this and charges a bomb.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by kayvwar View Post
    Did not like:
    1. AC & Automatic Climate Control: My personal experience has been extremely bad on this front. All my long trips I suffered due to AC issues. Multiple times taken up for repair including thermister replacements. ACC, less said the better. In my opinion always 3 or 4 notches less than what it needs to be. The rear cooling tower almost dysfunctional.
    3. Fuel efficiency:While it was an informed decision pertaining to fuel efficiency was disappointed with overall outcome. This is what I get:
    --> 100% city drive with AC all the time: 7.5 KMPL
    --> Mix of city and highway drives: 9 KMPL
    --> 100% highway drive: 12 KMPL
2. Honda Amaze - Lack of rear AC vents. Although people have commented that the Amaze's AC is a chiller, I had a couple of instances in the Manza where I heard complaining from the rear seats for the 20 odd minutes it took to cool the car down after 3 hours exposed to the summer sun. Everytime, I turned the fan speed from 4 to 3, someone complained that it is too hot and they were sweating while i was feeling chilled since the blast (from the vent to the right of the steering) was directly on my face. I had to make the entire Pune-Mumbai run with the AC on 4. This makes me prefer rear AC vents if not anything to keep air circulating in the cabin.

A few questions as well -
  1. Both these cars also have a smaller size spare tyres. Any reasons why manufacturers do this since this is true for many cars not only these two?
  2. The Xcent seems to have lower power and torque figures than the Amaze but still the suggestions is the petrol Xcent is better than the Amaze which has a weak petrol engine (in AT trim). Not sure how this is being suggested?
What is the recommendation from everyone here?

Last edited by adits : 7th November 2018 at 23:20. Reason: Added some details
Old 13th November 2018, 12:13   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
Primary considerations -
  • Shape - Sedan preferred since this car will be replacing a sedan. SUVs are out since they are viewed as too big.
Have a look at the Honda Jazz - it's far more spacious than the Amaze and Xcent (I am still boggled as to how the Ciaz was a touch too small, but the Xcent and Amaze made the list).

Yes, it's not a sedan which IMO is it's only downfall - but on those days when it matters, it will gobble up a fair amount of luggage compared to the Xcent and Amaze.

You can even see if they have any good deals on the Mobilio / BRV CVT.

And given your running - a diesel may just be a better choice: longer intervals between refuels, and cheaper to maintain. Heck, you could potentially argue that the money saved in terms of fuel could be spent on a better car.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 12:58   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Have a look at the Honda Jazz - it's far more spacious than the Amaze and Xcent (I am still boggled as to how the Ciaz was a touch too small, but the Xcent and Amaze made the list).

Yes, it's not a sedan which IMO is it's only downfall - but on those days when it matters, it will gobble up a fair amount of luggage compared to the Xcent and Amaze.
Good point but I already have a hatch in the Liva and have been dissuading the wife from another hatch. She was eyeing the Santro AMT. If I check the Jazz, I am going to have to explain why Jazz and not Santro to an accountant which is something I want to avoid.
The Ciaz is low and so is out of consideration. You are looking at horizontal not vertical space. Besides, I found the constant switching on and off of the Hybrid engine quote annoying. I guess it will get turned off by most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
You can even see if they have any good deals on the Mobilio / BRV CVT.
BRV is an SUV so it is unlikely to be considered. Besides it will go out of budget.
Old 24th November 2018, 13:53   #335
BHPian

Quote:
[*]VAG twins - Not considered
I was in a similar situation few weeks back. Please do test drive Rapid MPI AT - Ambition variant might be around your budget. I got above 1.5L discount in style variant. For sedate driving it is a very good option to consider, if not the best.
Old 26th November 2018, 12:53   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good point but I already have a hatch in the Liva and have been dissuading the wife from another hatch. She was eyeing the Santro AMT. If I check the Jazz, I am going to have to explain why Jazz and not Santro to an accountant which is something I want to avoid.

BRV is an SUV so it is unlikely to be considered. Besides it will go out of budget.
Point noted on the Ciaz - one of the reasons we have the S-Cross in the garage and not the Ciaz.

The BR-V is by no means an SUV. Think of it as a station wagon that is made for our roads because that is what is honestly is: a station wagon on stilts that has some huge deals on it.

The Santro though logical, is still quite over-priced IMO. Best way to counter is to show her how narrow the price difference is between the top end Santro and the base variant of the CVT Jazz (post discounts) - with the Jazz being a more spacious car, from a segment higher, that will have better resale value too.
The added space, practicality, and utility over the Santro should hold some weightage especially coming from a Liva!
Old 26th November 2018, 15:22   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Of the 2 cars in contention, Xcent and Amaze, I have the following concerns

What is the recommendation from everyone here?
Just a thought, why not the recently updated Ford Aspire 1.5L AT? Check this https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4496673 (The Ford Figo & Aspire Facelifts. EDIT: Aspire launched at Rs 5.55 lakhs)
DaiusPitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 16:01   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
Thanks. Will check it out
Old 21st November 2022, 21:53   #339
BANNED

Ignis amt /Amaze (automatic) / Brezza lxi (manual) / Bolero neo.

Please help me decide a new car.

Cars I’m considering – Ignis amt, Amaze cvt, Brezza lxi (manual), Bolero neo.

Budget – 10L .

My usage -
• 50% city, 50% highway.
• No commuting in rush hour.
• The car will be used once a week, sometimes once a month.
• Yearly running 5000kms.

* I understand, in my budget I will have to compromise on something or the other.

Expectations: This will be the only car in the house.

1. Reliable. Trustworthy.
Confidence, to just take the car to a sudden/unplanned highway trip. (reference - many videos of brand new tata tigor, nexon not starting).

2. Comfortable front seats. 5 hr highway drive should not be tiring. I think upright seating might be better.
Reasonable thigh support on front seats, Pedal height – I do pay attention to it.

3. Planted feel at 90kmph.

4. I will prefer an Automatic.
or manual - if the clutch is light and/ or the clutch travel is short.

5. Cabin insulation from traffic noise.

My driving style -
• Normal. neither fuel economy oriented, nor revving high all the time.
• Highway cruising at 90kmph.
• 0 to 100 not important, but a good 20 to 60, 50 to 90 kmph is enjoyable once in a while. But again I will compromise on this aspect if needed.
• I don't want too many gizmos or features. I prefer base or one above base variants.
But since automatics are not available in base variants of these cars, I am forced to increase my budget, and thus confusion arises to get a better car with manual transmission -> eg Amaze automatic vs Brezza lxi manual.

Cars I like -
• Toyota Etios - I wouldn’t even start this thread if it was available.
• S cross is gone.
• Citroen c 3, the dealer is 30km away. Plus no automatic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

* I took a short test drive of the Amaze cvt and Ignis manual only.

Ignis –
• I like it.
• Parents not very keen on this.
• Might be discontinued soon.

Amaze cvt. - Ok overall. Appears to be a safe choice.
• In a short test drive, slow speeds. It seemed good. But I can feel that a sudden demand of acceleration will be lethargic. Fuel economy in city wont be more than 11/12.
• Rear seat comfort - very good.
• Front seats comfort - somthing is not right. I am concerned wrt long drives. (Aura’s front seats felt better)
• I don't feel good spending 9.5L / 10.5L on this.
• I can hope it grows on me and I adjust to it.

Brezza lxi (manual).
• Safe choice. not much worry till 15 yrs. Seems ready for BS6.2, E20 etc.
• Cons - waiting period - 6 months. even then the car alloted to me might be sold to someone else who pays more.
• Automatic is very expensive. Almost 13Lakhs for vxi.
• No test drive yet. Car wasn't available.

Bolero Neo -
• Will be a nice change because I have owned a hatchback and a sedan.
• Should be easy to drive in normal city traffic- as per my experience driving a safari once - Autos, rickshaws, bikers kept a distance.
Cons - not sure if this engine is BS6.2 / RDE compliant.
Resale in 9th year (50K driven) ?

Test drive is due this week.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by sinhead : 21st November 2022 at 21:57.
sinhead is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:45   #340
BHPian

Re: Ignis amt /Amaze (automatic) / Brezza lxi (manual) / Bolero neo.

Quick takeaways

1. Only car - Should be a good city and highway vehicle.
2. A lot of idle time as being used once a week or sometimes once a month. Need a reliable one.
3. Average distance per ride - 100 kms (5000 kms annually considering once a week ride). Needs to be comfortable.
4. 50% highway usage - an engine which doesn't feel out of breath
5. Driving once a week, not in traffic - manual should be good.
6. Not too aggressive driving style - better to stay away from turbos.

Suggestions :
Honda City V (4th gen) should be a good car.
Plush, reliable, sweet 1.5L NA, a good handler upto 100 kmph, VFM.

Handa City V (5th gen), for approx 1.5L more, you get a newer gen, quite a few more features and ESP being a standout. Mentioning these as you're anyways looking at brezza for around 13L. I feel above two are VFM and match exactly to your requirements. You can even look at pre-owned City from 2020-2021.

Among your shortlist
1. Ignis - parents don't like it, skip it.
2. Amaze cvt - that rubber band effect on 1.2L NA is not a combination to make you smile often. Can consider the manual though, Honda 1.2 NA manuals are way better than hyundai and Maruti.
3. Brezza - I do have a hard time considering anything 'compact' north of 13L without bringing city in equation. Do see the feature sets and nothing beats Honda 1.5 NA.
4. Bolero Neo - quite happy to see this car on your shortlist but given the running can be avoided. Much more suited to be a workhorse.
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:49   #341
BHPian

Nothing beats Honda's reliability. Amaze might have a few quality issues unlike other Honda cars but you will not have Tata or Skoda type reliability issues.

For this budget, I would also suggest used Honda citiy CVT which has more power, space, and better quality than all the cars available below 10 lakhs
swoosh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 23:26   #342
BHPian

I'd pick Brezza over any of these:

1. 4 star safety
2. Reliable engine
3. Comfortable ride
4. Easy to drive in city and good highway manners as well.
5. No non-sense car, even if you don't use it for a month, it still start in first self
6. Higher GC means no need to worry much about bad roads.
7. Suzuki's service network
8. Good resale value

Ignis - Good car too, but if you're considering Brezza, then why settle for a lower segment car?

Amaze - Another good car, but not as comfortable as Brezza, specially if you're a tall person.

Bolero Neo - you mentioned 5k kms annually and sometimes even once a month, better not go for a diesel vehicle then.

Last edited by Beingtraveler : 21st November 2022 at 23:28. Reason: Grammatical error
Beingtraveler is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 08:35   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
My usage -
• 50% city, 50% highway.
• No commuting in rush hour.
• The car will be used once a week, sometimes once a month.
• Yearly running 5000kms.
Some points worth considering:
1. Your low running means any car can end up with the car not starting issue due to a depleted battery.
Get a charger like Bosch C7 or even the C3 if unwilling to spend more and keep the car connected to it when you're away to avoid surprises and premature battery failure.
Lesser the always on features, better the backup but a balance has to be struck.

2. With such low usage, no bumper to bumper traffic involved and MT not being a deal breaker I would suggest to get something simple and cheaper.
Your driving style and usage is ideal for a NA petrol.

3. From your list I would say TD the Brezza VXi MT would be more apt from your shortlist since you have decent highway usage.
Outside of this you can also check out the Nexon XM or the XUV300 W4 but both are turbo petrols and will be poorly kitted especially the XUV300.

Will let you take a call over a TD.
shancz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 22:23   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Expectations: This will be the only car in the house.

1. Reliable. Trustworthy.
Confidence, to just take the car to a sudden/unplanned highway trip. (reference - many videos of brand new tata tigor, nexon not starting).
If the S-Cross was still available it would have been a no-brainer but in its absence, the hyped up Brezza is actually the best no nonsense option as long as it is well equipped enough within your budget it is a top seller for a good reason no nonsense Maruti built robust, reliable, easy to drive not only in terms of ergonomics but in terms of visibility and placing the car exactly where you want it as well. Most MarutiSuzukis that I have driven (only petrols) have excellent clutches that are both light and offer progressive consistent feedback.

If you want an automatic, Honda's CVT is ace and the Amaze is a great car as well only thing is old people might find low slung seating to be an issue.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 09:22   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Please help me decide a new car.

Cars I’m considering – Ignis amt, Amaze cvt, Brezza lxi (manual), Bolero neo.

Budget – 10L .
Also check out Honda Jazz CVT. It would be a great car, ticking all boxes as per your requirements, if (a) you are okay with a hatch and (b) if you could stretch your budget a bit. I purchased that in September 2022 and it is a fantastic car!
jaysheth is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks