Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Hi,
Options looking at are
1. Verna VVT S(o)
2. City ivtech Vx
3. Vento 1.2 Tsi Highline
4. Rapid 1.6 AT Elegance +
5. Sunny CVT
I would drop the Sunny CVT and the Verna from the list as they come with unexciting old school AT Boxes.

The Rapid comes with a 6 speed AT which although is a decent performer, it no match for the Vento Tsi. So that would drop Rapid from my list.

So that leaves the Vento Tsi and the City CVT. Personally I feel the premium the City commands over the vento is a little too much.

So my vote is for the Vento TSI. Go for the Vento TSI Highline Magnific version that comes with the Philadelphia 835 AVN system. Will serve your Bluetooth needs also very well.
Old 17th April 2015, 16:23   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Hi Folks,
Any reason why would you not look at Zest XTA. I think it is the only alternative and checks all your boxes. Have driven mine for 7k kms now. Very satisfied with the ease of an automatic.

Last edited by bblost : 17th April 2015 at 16:54. Reason: Please avoid quoting full posts. Thanks.
Old 17th April 2015, 17:11   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I would drop the Sunny CVT and the Verna from the list as they come with unexciting old school AT Boxes.

The Rapid comes with a 6 speed AT which although is a decent performer, it no match for the Vento Tsi. So that would drop Rapid from my list.

So that leaves the Vento Tsi and the City CVT. Personally I feel the premium the City commands over the vento is a little too much.

So my vote is for the Vento TSI. Go for the Vento TSI Highline Magnific version that comes with the Philadelphia 835 AVN system. Will serve your Bluetooth needs also very well.

I thought the magnific version comes only in Manual transmission as it is listed separately in the website. Are u sure it comes in TSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Any reason why would you not look at Zest XTA. I think it is the only alternative and checks all your boxes. Have driven mine for 7k kms now. Very satisfied with the ease of an automatic.

I was also contemplating....but I need a bigger boot. How big is the boot?. I need a minimum 450 - 500l one. I'll try to take a picture of the boot of my Linea boot with all my instruments. Please then tell me if it can swallow the whole thing. And this is only the beginning. I might add more instrument boxes in future so I might need some leverage even if it is full fit now
Old 17th April 2015, 18:08   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought the magnific version comes only in Manual transmission as it is listed separately in the website. Are u sure it comes in TSI.

Sorry my mistake. It used to come in the version called vento konnekt. Looks like when they rebadged it to magnific, they dropped the tsi version of it.

But you can always add the avn system in. I did it for my vento tsi. Straight swap.
Old 17th April 2015, 21:44   #215
BHPian

Re: Automatic Confusion

Quote:

Options looking at are
1. Verna VVT S(o)
2. City ivtech Vx
5. Sunny CVT
I think the best choice will be either the City or the Vento/Rapid. The Vento has a better transmission and is better to drive than the City, but the City is not that bad either. I suggest you test drive these two cars and then make a decision.
The Vento and Rapid are essentially the same car, so it depends on your preferences.
Old 17th April 2015, 23:46   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Take a look at this...

They're reviewing manuals, though.

Last edited by sleepyk : 17th April 2015 at 23:48.
Old 18th April 2015, 18:41   #217
D4D
BHPian

Quote:

Options looking at are
1. Verna VVT S(o)
2. City ivtech Vx
5. Sunny CVT
1. Verna: You could buy this car. It's 4 speed AT won't affect you much in the city drives. Only problem maybe the resale value.

2. City: The best choice here. You could buy an SV variant and upgrade the music system to a brand new one of your choice

I would stay away from the Vento, Rapid as there are reliability concerns on the DSG(Vento only) and low resale value on the Rapid. Not to forget the horrors of the ASS.

The sunny CVT maybe the cheapest, but I'm not sure it's the best choice due to Nissan ASS and resale value.

Last edited by D4D : 18th April 2015 at 18:44.
Old 18th April 2015, 19:54   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Options looking at are
1. Verna VVT S(o)
2. City ivtech Vx
5. Sunny CVT
Stay away from the Verna though it has become a far more matured product especially with regards to its suspension, the steering is still scarily light lending the car a very unsure feel. The 4 speed at really doesn't match up either. Also, with its hike in prices, it is no longer a value proposition.

City does the job perfectly but nothing brilliant about it

Vento 1.2 tsi with DSG box represents a really good package. The car certainly offers more than it was launched with and I would recommend this if you wanted an automatic petrol

Rapid with the new downsized 1.5 tdi motor and DSG gearbox also represents a strong package. The motor is extremely tractable and punchy and this would be my recommendation if you were after a diesel.

If I were you, I would not worry too much about the Vento or Rapid since they are both relatively uncomplicated cars from VAG which can easily be serviced at a trusted outside garage and also, no reason to worry about their DSG boxes since there have been no reported issues with the DQ200 boxes being used in these cars. Anyone telling you they have reliability concerns is just crying the same thing for every car since those initial lauras and superbs.
Old 2nd May 2015, 17:57   #219
Senior - BHPian

Thanks people for all the answers. Finally have sold if my linea and have started test driving a couple. I find most of you recommending Vento TSI. But there is no 1.2 TSI test drive car in chennai with any dealer. That's the pathetic state of customers wanting to drive one and come to a decision. I have been fighting with each dealership of VW in chennai for arranging me a test drive car for past 2 weeks but no avail. They are asking me to test drive a polo and come to a decision. How can that be possible. Isn't it a different car with different weight and different dynamics?. Being pissed of I wrote a mail to customer care of VW only to get my mail forwarded to the ABRA motor a dealer in chennai. I got this pathetic reply again. Enclosing you people a screen shot.
Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs-1430569435946.jpg

Last edited by geeash : 2nd May 2015 at 18:05.
Old 2nd May 2015, 19:21   #220
BANNED

Quote:
They are asking me to test drive a polo and come to a decision. How can that be possible. Isn't it a different car with different weight and different dynamics?
Sir,

These guys will never change. Quoting my own post from VW India - Way forward, dated Dec'13:

Quote:
A small incident that happened with me when I visited a dealer in Hyderabad for a TD of the Polo GT TDI. After a wait of 20 minutes a sales guy came to me and asked:

SA:"How may I help you Sir?!".

Me: I want to do the TD of the Polo GT TDI.

SA: He says 1 minute and goes to his managers room.

... 15 minutes later he surfaces again,

SA: Sir, I want to give you a suggestion!

Me: What is that, Sir?!

SA: Instead of TD of the Polo please look at the Vento TDI, both are the same. Only difference is a boot and nothing else.

Me: I was

SA: Polo not moving Sir, Vento full sales Sir.

Me: I asked him whether they have a TD vehicle for the GT TDI

SA: No Sir, We don't have but there is a customers car that has come for service and I can do TD on that car.

Me: I was frustrated but silent.

Wished the SA, A Thank you and walked out of the showroom.
They were asking me to TD Vento and make an opinion for polo GT TDI. Reasons being given everything is same only difference is a boot that is added.
Old 2nd May 2015, 19:28   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sir,

These guys will never change. Quoting my own post from VW India - Way forward, dated Dec'13:

They were asking me to TD Vento and make an opinion for polo GT TDI. Reasons being given everything is same only difference is a boot that is added.
This was one of the reasons for selecting Skoda Rapid over VW Vento. I aksed for a test drive of Vento DSG, they said they don't have it and that the car has waiting period.

The Skoda guys on the other hand were very polite and were eager to make a sale.

Went ahead and took delivery of Skoda Rapid DSG.

Last edited by F150 : 2nd May 2015 at 19:36.
Old 2nd May 2015, 21:51   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sir,

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
This was one of the reasons for selecting Skoda Rapid over VW Vento. I aksed for a test drive of Vento DSG, they said they don't have it and that the car has waiting period.

The Skoda guys on the other hand were very polite and were eager to make a sale.

Went ahead and took delivery of Skoda Rapid DSG.

My god. I never expected this to happen with VW in regularity. I don't think I can buy a car without test driving it. If this is the plight on buying a 12 lakh car imagine how much I will have to fight for after sales. Thoroughly unprofessional. It's really sad as I was looking to check it out and mostly buy it if it was peppy. Now I have to rethink.

Update: even MSIL dealerships in chennai does not have a Ciaz automatic petrol for Testdrive in Chennai. One of the dealership sales advisor said there is a car for delivery in which he can sneak me in for test drive. I politely refused imagining that the same would happen to my car also if I buy one.
Old 3rd May 2015, 18:32   #223
BHPian

Re: Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs

I asked for a test drive of Vento TSI in feb at a dealer near my place in South Delhi. Was informed by sales rep that I will get a call for test drive and I can only test drive the car as per their convenience and not mine.

Its May and I have still not got the call.

Next to VW showroom was Honda. I out of curosity asked for a test drive of City AT and was informed waiting is 3 months and I should buy by test driving MT.

Honda rep was not even polite enough to ask for my number and atleast try to get me a test drive.

In the same month i.e. Feb went to Tata showroom for checking out Zest AT. Sales rep was very polite and offered to provide a test drive on any weekend of my choice, only catch was I have to inform them in advance.

Of the three showrooms, Tata reps were most humble, polite, gave a good service, and acted professionally.

Last edited by heydj : 3rd May 2015 at 18:34.
Old 6th May 2015, 12:59   #224
BHPian

Re: Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs

Skoda Rapid has the option of DSG + Cruise Control. Probably the only automatic with that option. For drivers in Delhi NCR who typically have expressway stretches in their drive its an option worth considering. Plus there is the black edition which is really nice.
Old 8th May 2015, 12:22   #225
Senior - BHPian

Finally Test driven a couple of cars. Have TD ed Verna 4s, Honda City, Sunny

VERNA:
Pros:
1. Fully loaded features though top end SX O is not available in automatic petrol so it's missing out leather seats and auto headlamps and wipers
2. Fun to drive in city with light steering
3. 1.6 litre engine peppy and light on foot
4. 1.75 Lakh cheaper than Honda city with equipments on par
5. After sales reliability

Cons:
1. Very light steering, oversteers all the time which could be good in city but not on a highway.
2. 5 Speed auto shifter old n dated. Don't know how fuel efficient it will be
3. Few features like Cruise control Sunroof, AV system missing
4. Crampy rear seat
5. 3 weeks waiting period

SUNNY
Pros:
1. Oodles of space
2. Good to drive in city

Cons:
1. Uninspiring performance on higher speeds
2. Lack of features Bells and whistles that competitors have
3. After sales
4. Could be a dud in resale value

HONDA city
Pros:
1. Brand name and Resale
2. Great handling and compliant ride both in city and highway
3. Fully loaded with bells and whistles including sun roof
4. 6 speed auto CVT with sports mode and paddle shifts nice to drive
5. Huge in interior space. especially back seat
6. Good fit and finish

Cons:
1. Pricey 14 Lakh. 1.75 Lakh more than the nearest competitor
2. After sales cost marginally higher
3. Top end model in automatic doesn't have a AV system like manual model
4. 2 months waiting period

Still debating and thinking about Honda city because of the price? Is it really worth the extra 1.75 Lakh premium for a depreciating asset?

Last edited by geeash : 8th May 2015 at 12:26.
geeash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed