Ford EcoSport Petrol AT Titanium 52 19.62%
Honda City SV AT 83 31.32%
Vento DSG Petrol 96 36.23%
Increase Budget or Consider Deisel 34 12.83%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 21:41   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol Automatic Sedan - Verna vs City vs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
From an AT viewpoint I don't think the Verna deserves support. Hyundai uses the same 4 speed AT box in the i10, Grand i10, i20, Xcent and in the Verna. The fuel efficiency is reported to be low even in the i10 range, considering the Verna is a bigger and heavier car with a bigger engine, I assume the FE will be worse.

Also, are you sure that the AT is available in the EX variant now. I recall it is available only in the SX variant?
I am a total noob when it comes to AT. Hence decided to post his query with the experts here.

I think Hyundai has stopped EX variants but few dealers are having the stock and ready to give further discounts.
Old 10th September 2014, 22:02   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Main criteria
1. Automatic for city driving (has pain in left leg and wants to avoid clutch)
2. Good fuel economy ( Which automatic sedan returns better figures?)
For #1 and #2 above any AT will do. Be prepared to live with 9kmpl. Not much difference between different options available as far as FE goes.

Quote:
3. Low maintenance(Wants to keep it for long 5+ years)
Rules out Vento TSI, because it is hard to say "I bought Vento TSI DSG for it's low maintenance cost and reliability" with a straight face.

Quote:
4. Good resale
Honda City will have an edge here.

In general City AT would be a decent "all-rounder" and Vento TSI would be a sort of "performance oriented" car. No experience with Verna, it might cost less and be readily available compared to the waiting list of City AT and TSI but I tend to believe Honda and VW offer better tech/engineering.

Last edited by androdev : 10th September 2014 at 22:05.
Old 10th September 2014, 22:39   #123
Senior - BHPian

I'd say Vento Tsi is the best option currently for its price. Honda City V AT will cost at least 1L more (and if you are willing to put in that much then go for Honda City). I think Maruti missed a trick here by not updating the old gen AT on Ciaz else it would be the perfect choice now.

Generally speaking Bangalore has good dealers/service as far as VW is concerned. So I believe you need not bother about that aspect as far as Vento is concerned. VW service has definitely improved a lot. If you can trust them, go for it.
Old 10th September 2014, 23:44   #124
BHPian

I will recommend Honda City AT over any available sedan. But if boot and sedan status is not a necessity, definitely go for VW Polo TSI.
Old 11th September 2014, 09:56   #125
Senior - BHPian

Out of the box suggestion - Zest (diesel) AMT.

What are these extra features in bigger sedans which are not present in sub 4 metre sedans ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 12:22   #126
BHPian

I guess most of the people have placed their bets on City or Vento TSI. I would go for Vento TSI definitely, but since budget is a consideration, do give a thought to Rapid AT. It is not a TSI and DSG combo, but the normal 1.6 litre engine with a torque covertor.

Skoda is currently giving great deals with it and a substantial discount. that is ofcourse if your friend is ok with buying a skoda.
Old 11th September 2014, 12:53   #127
Senior - BHPian

Vento TSi with extended warranty should be the best choice. The TSi motor is known for its frgual nature as well as power.
Old 11th September 2014, 12:58   #128
Senior - BHPian

Honda AT has to be the top contender considering that it has been in this space for long enough to have a good product. You should also wait for Ciaz to check on their offering and the waiting period too, whenever the AT is launched. With Honda or Maruti, you have very less chances of going wrong.
Old 11th September 2014, 14:13   #129
BHPian

The face lifted Vento is just round the corner; is supposed to be launched Sep/Oct 2014. You may just strike a good deal with the outgoing Vento TSI DSG. The engine/gearbox combo is super and the car is quick while giving a decent fuel economy.

Alternatively wait a month or two for the new Vento TSI DSG or possibly the Vento TDI DSG.

IMHO, the City does not come close to the VW in terms of driving dynamics.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 19:23   #130
BHPian

Which AT from these 3 ? Sunny CVT, Scala CVT or Honda City AT ?

Hello,

I am trying to finalize my AT car. I currently have a 2001 Honda Accord AT which gives around 6 kpl. I want to change to a newer AT car. I went through all threads here on AT cars and am even more confused.

My questions at present:

1) How does the Nissan Sunny CVT compare itself with the Scala ?

2) Is Nissan Sunny CVT more VFM compared to Honda City AT or the Scala ?

3) Which one should I choose from the 3 ? Sunny CVT, Scala CVT or City AT ?

Or are there any better choices ? My driving will be in Pune city with trips to Mumbai.

Thanks.
Old 16th September 2014, 19:28   #131
BHPian

Re: Which AT from these 3 ? Sunny CVT, Scala CVT or Honda City AT ?

Let me confuse you some more - why not wait for the Ciaz AT?
Old 16th September 2014, 19:29   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
Hello,

I am trying to finalize my AT car. I currently have a 2001 Honda Accord AT which gives around 6 kpl. I want to change to a newer AT car. I went through all threads here on AT cars and am even more confused.
Or are there any better choices ? My driving will be in Pune city with trips to Mumbai.
Accord to any of the models mentioned above will be a big step down. What is the budget you're working with?

If you're moving to a small AT car, the VW Polo GT TSI should be a good choice (and the Vento TSI, if you need a bigger boot).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 19:36   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Accord to any of the models mentioned above will be a big step down. What is the budget you're working with?

If you're moving to a small AT car, the VW Polo GT TSI should be a good choice (and the Vento TSI, if you need a bigger boot).
vb-san, pacifica, others,

Here is my BIG confusion. I purchased the Honda Accord AT in 2010 when it had 38,000 km on it. Since it gives low mileage of around 5-6 kmpl, I am reluctant to drive it more and I normally use my Xylo in Pune city. Buy I love to drive the automatic since it is so much convenient. So I am thinking if I get a automatic with better mileage, I will feel like driving it more. Plus I purchased the Honda for Rs. 3.5 lacs and in the last years have spent around Rs. 50,000 on maintenance. I am worried about future maintenance costs.

Considering all of the above, I am thinking to get a new AT. Budget is around Rs. 10 lacs.

Or should I drive the Honda Accord till it dies ?

Thanks.
Old 16th September 2014, 19:56   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
vb-san, pacifica, others,

Here is my BIG confusion. I purchased the Honda Accord AT in 2010 when it had 38,000 km on it. Since it gives low mileage of around 5-6 kmpl, I am reluctant to drive it more and I normally use my Xylo in Pune city. Buy I love to drive the automatic since it is so much convenient. So I am thinking if I get a automatic with better mileage, I will feel like driving it more. Plus I purchased the Honda for Rs. 3.5 lacs and in the last years have spent around Rs. 50,000 on maintenance. I am worried about future maintenance costs.

Considering all of the above, I am thinking to get a new AT. Budget is around Rs. 10 lacs.

Or should I drive the Honda Accord till it dies ?

Thanks.
golfdude,

Let me say I can understand your quandary. I used to drive a Hyundai Sonata Embera petrol AT with equally bad mileage as your Accord.

I would say cut your losses and get rid of the Accord now while you can. As it is you'd not get much for it anyway, and a year or two down the line you won't be able to get rid of it at all and will still have to shell out increasing amounts on maintenance.

I fully understand the convenience of AT; once you've gone AT you don't want to go back.

As you're concerned about maintenance costs, I suggested that you wait for the Ciaz. Its a Maruti, after all, and should not be too expensive to maintain. Plus, while not as big as your Accord, it does look very spacious.

Wait for the Team-BHP review of the Ciaz, and then choose.

As for as me, I'm waiting for Tata or Mahindra or Maruti to plonk an AT into the Aria, XUV, and Ertiga, respectively.
Pacifica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 19:59   #135
BHPian

Wonder why you are not considering Ecosport AT also. It's a dual clutch AT gear box, with similar budget and impressive drive.
Quatro is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed