Vento DSG Petrol 96 36.23%
Increase Budget or Consider Deisel 34 12.83%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2014, 13:24   #166
D C
BHPian

Re: Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs

Here are my thoughts, I am driving a Verna CRDi MT. If I were to buy a AT petrol car, I blindly go for Honda City AT for its reliability over decades.

Also, consider your monthly mileage and area of usage. If you intend to use it on a City mostly and rarely on highways, a diesel engine wouldn't give you any advantage over petrol.

Honda City AT has cruise control and paddle shift, as far as I know Verna has neither of these.

VW and Skoda doesn't even come close to Honda or Hyundai with regards to providing peace of mind to customers.
D C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 13:24   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I20 Elite AT? Is that an option?
No. The petrol AT is dropped from the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
He wants to upgrade to a petrol AT new sedan(not compact sedan). Budget being around 12 lakh INR on road in Chennai.
The only option I think he has is Vento TSI as of now (apart from City CVT thats already shortlisted). There was talk about Etios AT recently, but doubt its worth the wait. Moreover one should be ok with Etios interior at the first place

Last edited by narayans80 : 26th November 2014 at 13:25.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 13:47   #168
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I20 Elite AT?
He doesn't really want to buy a hatch again.

He's upgrading from a Getz, so elite i20 is not a substantial upgrade in terms of space. He wants more knee room only as his parents live with him and his children are getting older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
The only option I think he has is Vento TSI as of now
I've advised against VW after seeing all horror stories in TBHP and also after first hand report. Also, he doesn't like the design and rear seat space. But it's still being considered.

Quote:
Moreover one should be ok with Etios interior at the first place
That's why he rejected the Honda Amaze. He actually liked the space inside. He hated those interiors. If it had good interiors, he would've bought it right away. Honda, are you listening?

Last edited by D4D : 26th November 2014 at 13:59.
Old 26th November 2014, 14:34   #169
BHPian

I might be repeating few or all points which are already highlited by fellow members, but being a Skoda Rapid owner I have the first hand experience. Here is my two cents

If you drive Vento TSI or Vento/Rapid TDI DSG you may not like any other car in that price range as a pure auto enthusiast, but these twins are having hell lot of reliability issues and horror stories with ASS are ever growing.

Summary:
Petrol AT: Honda City, which is good mix of reliability and performance
Diesel AT: Vento/Rapid, there is no match for Vento/Rapid twins yet...but i would think million times before putting my money on VW cars.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 15:16   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Posting on behalf of my uncle who's driving an '05 pre-owned Getz 1.3.

Also,
  • Also there's no fiesta petrol AT right? A Chennai dealer told him that it may launch soon.
  • Since he has no problem in waiting for a few(6-8) months, he seems too keen on the ix-25. Are there any details on the iX-25? And will it have a petrol AT? He seems too interested in that.
  • I've also told him to check the new Verna.(When it releases )

Does it make sense to wait for the new Verna and ix-25 OR go ahead and buy City now?
And what are the options I've missed?

Thanks in Advance.
There is no Fiesta Petrol MT itself. So i really doubt that they will introduce the Fiesta Petrol AT anytime soon.

There is a chance that the new verna will come with a new 6 speed AT box (apparently the russian verna has got it). If that happens, then it is a good choice and probably worth the wait.

For now, if the vento tsi is out of the equation, then the Honda City is the way to go. Satisfies all the requirements listed above.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 16:42   #171
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Requirements:
  • Automatic Transmission
  • ABS and D+P airbag
  • Spacious (No one above 5'10" in his family)
  • Decent FE. His Getz gives around 9.8 kmpl in the city. He'll be satisfied with the same number.
  • Good boot space
  • Ride comfort
  • Easy maintenance. He wants to keep the car for ~10 years
  • No compact sedans
  • Good handling. Need not be completely sporty. But predictable and safe. He's used to the HPS of Getz.
  • He's not a very aggressive driver, so power isn't too important.

I've suggested him to stay away from VW and Skoda. And he finds the design and backseat of Vento not so impressive.

Options tested:
  • Honda City CVT: He liked it overall. The top choice right now.
  • Hyundai Verna AT: He wasn't impressed with the Verna sagging down when he went for a TD with 5 people. But liked it otherwise. He didn't specify any limitation due to the 4-speed AT box.
  • Vento TSI: He's not a fan of the design and backseat. And I told him to stay away from VW/Skoda
  • Nissan Sunny CVT: Felt it's underpowered. Also he hates the brake pedal feel.

Also,
  • Also there's no fiesta petrol AT right? A Chennai dealer told him that it may launch soon.

And what are the options I've missed?

I think you have covered almost all options and I agree with your choice of Honda City CVT. Its a safe choice and though not as exciting as Vento TSI, City will give you years of reliable service.

Though you have said no to compact sedans and also you are predominantly looking for petrol vehicles, I can not resist from suggesting Zest diesel AMT.
It has fair amount of space, comes with national diesel engine, which is smooth, reliable and largely trouble free, and also Zest AMT will fit in your budget range. Do a test drive and consider it as a viable option.

If you want to extend budget further up, Toyota Corolla Altis with CVT is also a nice option to consider. Reliability, lots of space, premium vehicle with 7 speed CVT, consider this also for test drive.

Also, as far as I know, Fiesta petrol with AT was available at launch and was considered at least at par with Honda City AT or even better with regards to auto transmission.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JLS
JLS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 17:20   #172
Senior - BHPian

Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs

I would look no further than the Honda City automatic. It's the best option for his needs and since you've given his requirements in great detail, recommending a Volkswagen, Tata, Hindu or anything else becomes impossible. Go for the Honda, it's the best option for his needs.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 17:57   #173
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Though you have said no to compact sedans and also you are predominantly looking for petrol vehicles, I can not resist from suggesting Zest diesel AMT.
Will consider Zest. Thanks.

Corolla is out of budget. I heard that it comes to ~18 lakh INR on road.

Quote:
Also, as far as I know, Fiesta petrol with AT was available at launch
I don't think it was available on the facelift when it was launched. I just wanted to know whether there's any rumour indicating launch of fiesta petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Go for the Honda, it's the best option for his needs.
Yeah. He's almost decided on city. But he's waiting as he is impressed with the looks of the ix25. Would be helpful if anyone could provide details on it's launch timeline etc.
Old 26th November 2014, 18:20   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I can not resist from suggesting Zest diesel AMT.
Zest XMA doesn't provide the safety features D4D is looking for. If Tata provided a XT variant with automatic, it would've been the ideal match. But for now there isn't one.

Quote:
I've advised against VW after seeing all horror stories in TBHP and also after first hand report.
So far Polo TSI and Vento TSI reports in TeamBHP are pretty encouraging. Haven't heard bad feedback about VW Mount Road either, am no owner, so others may confirm that.

If you are looking at peace of mind, you are left with City as your only choice.

Last edited by narayans80 : 26th November 2014 at 18:24.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 18:57   #175
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Zest XMA doesn't provide the safety features D4D is looking for. If Tata provided a XT variant with automatic, it would've been the ideal match. But for now there isn't one.
No safety features in variants of Zest with AMT?

Quote:
So far Polo TSI and Vento TSI reports in TeamBHP are pretty encouraging.
Yup, but uncle is not impressed with the design and back seat space of the Vento.
Old 26th November 2014, 20:24   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No safety features in variants of Zest with AMT?
Sorry! Small correction. Zest XMA has ABS+EBD, but not Driver+Passenger airbags. No auto tranny on the top variant (XT) that has Dr+Pa airbags.
Old 27th November 2014, 14:37   #177
BHPian

Quote:
So far Polo TSI and Vento TSI reports in TeamBHP are pretty encouraging. Haven't heard bad feedback about VW Mount Road either, am no owner, so others may confirm that.
I am of the opinion that it will take at least another year for this to be said with a degree of certainty, once people have logged enough miles.

How about a used corolla (old gen) instead? A sparingly used corolla would be better than the current gen city in almost every aspect. As per the reviews here the CVT is more responsive than the city too.

I haven't seen corolla command a high resale so you might be able to get one at less than 10L.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 17:58   #178
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post

How about a used corolla (old gen) instead? A sparingly used corolla would be better than the current gen city in almost every aspect. As per the reviews here the CVT is more responsive than the city too.
Just suggested this to him, but he doesn't want another pre-owned car. He's driving one(Getz) since the last six years. He wants the "new-car" feel.

But yes, surely there's value in the Corolla.
Old 27th November 2014, 18:46   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
I am of the opinion that it will take at least another year for this to be said with a degree of certainty, once people have logged enough miles.
One additional year is hardly anytime for measure, really it would take an ownership lifecycle (somewhere in the tune of 5-10 years) to erase all fears on the DSG DQ 200. Till then it's upto one's risk apetite

I didn't consider pre-owned options, in such case a pre-owned Elantra could also be worth a look.
Old 28th November 2014, 09:59   #180
Senior - BHPian

I get that your buddy wants a new car and all that, but a well maintained Elantra or Corolla, might make more sense and be a more attractive option cause a C-segment sedan can offer space, features, value etc. and can encroach on the sales of D-segment cars, but still will not compare to the feel of owning a D-segment car. C-segment sedans try mocking them by offering nearly as much space with thinner seats, as much gadgetry like that's all that matters but a D-segment sedan just feels proper from the ground up no compromise anywhere and that cannot be achieved with a Honda City
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks