Ford EcoSport Petrol AT Titanium 52 19.62%
Honda City SV AT 83 31.32%
Vento DSG Petrol 96 36.23%
Increase Budget or Consider Deisel 34 12.83%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2015, 17:20   #181

Re: Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs

I say wait awhile for the Honda Jazz, it seems unlikely but they may have a diesel AT variant. Plus the car is going to be super roomy and if the petrol AT is coming then its going to be as reliable as the City.

Other than that I think the City CVT or the Eco-sport AT are both great options for petrol or the Rapid/Vento for the Diesel AT.
Old 21st February 2015, 01:01   #182
Team-BHP Support

Please note; it most probably would be 1.2 AT and not the 1.5 AT. If they offer nothing like it though. But I doubt on that aspect.
Old 29th March 2015, 19:22   #183
BHPian

New Automatic for my Dad. Please help me decide

I am looking for an Automatic car for my dad. He is currently driving Swift ZXI. Below are the specifications he need

- Car has to have safety features such as ABS & Airbag
- Max budget is 10 lakhs
- Petrol is preferred since he does not use it that often.
- Car should be good to drive, not expecting too much lag during the Automatic gear change.
- Location is in Mangalore and famous for hilly roads, so gear changing needs to be quick.
- I was looking at Hyundai I20 Automatic, but just realized its no more available in the new version.
- Hatchback is preferred but i understand Swift Dzire & Honda Amaze offer Automatic. Not sure about their performance.

I am really confused!! Appreciate your help on this.
Old 29th March 2015, 22:42   #184
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: New Automatic for my Dad. Please help me decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave20 View Post
I am looking for an Automatic car for my dad. He is currently driving Swift ZXI. Below are the specifications he need

- Max budget is 10 lakhs
- Car should be good to drive, not expecting too much lag during the Automatic gear change.
- Location is in Mangalore and famous for hilly roads, so gear changing needs to be quick.
- I was looking at Hyundai I20 Automatic, but just realized its no more available in the new version.
- Hatchback is preferred but i understand Swift Dzire & Honda Amaze offer Automatic. Not sure about their performance.

Hello,

Your best bet is the Polo GT TSi. The only other petrol Automatic i can think of is the Brio Automatic. Let your Dad test drive both the cars and Decide.
As far as i know the Swift Dzire Automatic is only offered in the Vxi trim which does not have ABS nor airbags.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2015, 22:50   #185
BHPian

AMT shift is good enough to be used in hilly areas so

My choices:

Petrol:
Maruti Suzuki Celerio ZXi(O) when it launches.
(DZire doesn't have Airbags as an option so I wouldn't recommend it)

Polo GT Tsi

My pick:
Tata Zest XTA
I know it's a diesel but the overall package is the best. Even better than Xcent SX(O) or Amaze VX.

If you can wait for a bit more time:

Ford Figo Aspire (If it comes with 6 airbags as rumored then whoa!) plus the DCT.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2015, 22:57   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can look at any of below threads ...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-10-lakhs.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...dilemma-3.html
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2015, 22:58   #187
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for an Automatic car for my dad. He is currently driving Swift ZXI.
Hyundai Xcent SX(O) 1.2 Petrol AT will be a good choice for your dad.
Grand Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2015, 22:59   #188
BANNED

Quote:
I am looking for an Automatic car for my dad. He is currently driving Swift ZXI.
With the said requirements, I can think of:

1) Honda Brio VX AT.
2) VW Polo GT TSI.
3) Celerio AMT in ZXi avatar that could be expected in months time.

Not sure of Car No. 01 but do look at it if available. Of the list, Polo is the king of automatics but I feel you need to keep the Celerio in mind too if you can wait.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2015, 23:23   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Max budget is 10 lakhs

Maruti automatics do not come with airbags; same is the case with Grand i10. So the choices are really limited.

Potential options for you could be:
  1. Brio VX - cheapest option available as of now, though Celerio ZXI AMT could take over that tag.
  2. Polo GT TSi - this costs an additional 2 lakhs on top of Brio's price but would be a pleasure to drive.
  3. Xcent SX(O) - Only Hyundai with the safety kit and considering i20 was on your shortlist, this should be a good alternative.
  4. Zest XTA - considering this to be priced on par with some of the other petrol options, a diesel wouldn't hurt. Being an AMT, your father can always override the gear shift to his liking without worrying about clutch where needed.

I'm not recommending Celerio ZXi since he is currently driving a Swift. He wouldn't most likely enjoy a downgrade from a K12 to a K10.

Last edited by zenren : 29th March 2015 at 23:29.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 02:25   #190
BHPian

It's got to be the Zest. It's a no brainer.

Brio: Lower power than Swift.
Polo: entering VW territory after reading so many reviews. It's a hit or a miss.

Zest XTA: Within budget, excellent engine, can be driven as an automatic, has the safety features needed. Extremely low on maintenance.

Check it out.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 02:52   #191
Team-BHP Support

Would suggest the Hyundai Xcent SX(o) as per my own experience in buying an automatic small car. Zest XTA if diesel is preferred.

Quote:
- Car has to have safety features such as ABS & Airbag - Check.
- Max budget is 10 lakhs - Check.
- Petrol is preferred since he does not use it that often - Check.
- Car should be good to drive, not expecting too much lag during the Automatic gear change. - It is an old school 4 speed AT, but I dont think your dad will miss anything here.
- Location is in Mangalore and famous for hilly roads, so gear changing needs to be quick -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...n-sisters.html

This should help answer a few queries regarding the performance of the car on hilly sections. The box doesn't shift fast, but the low end torque is multiplied thanks to the old school torque converter. This helps it pull from low rpms.

- I was looking at Hyundai I20 Automatic, but just realized its no more available in the new version - True. No automatic on the Elite i20.
- Hatchback is preferred but i understand Swift Dzire & Honda Amaze offer Automatic. Not sure about their performance - DZire does not offer safety features on the automatic. Amaze is costlier, but offer less quality and features. However, it comes with a 5 speed automatic gearbox.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th March 2015 at 02:53.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 11:39   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to the xcent SX(O). I think it is the best choice. Zest AMT is a good option, but you do not really need a diesel and AMT's will be slower shifting than a conventional AT's (No personal experience specific to the AMT and AT boxes in the Zest and Xcent).

Polo TSI will an overkill for the requirement.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 12:04   #193
BHPian

I would not really buy Brio. The whole glassy back area does not inspire confidence, instead consider Amaze AT. As per reviews here the AT transmission is pretty good and will suffice most of the times. Also correct me if I am wrong - Amaze has a conventional 5 speed AT and not CVT system, hence it should be okay.

If the usage is less than no point in buying a Diesel car. Generally this statement holds true as Diesel car within the same model is more expensive than Petrol. Tata Zest cost is on par with some of the Petrol sedans on your list. In such a scenario why not consider Zest.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 21:41   #194
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions guys... I was also thinking of Ecosports AT... any suggestions on it?

On road it comes upto 11.75lakh but I feel it's worth it..

What do you guys feel?
Old 30th March 2015, 22:11   #195
Senior - BHPian

I've taken three test drives of the Zest by now and I must say I am thoroughly impressed with TML this time around. The car is definitely quite desirable and is the Vista-CS that should have been released in 2009 itself. The plastics are still just-about acceptable (the sports mode on the auto feels like it may come off, in a 7k done car!)

The auto box is quite fun otherwise - its reasonably responsive and the handling is also borderline acceptable. The brakes are outstanding (for a Swift owner, that is!).

As and when the swift is retired, I may consider the Zest strongly - but only if I see a commensurate service experience as well as the ownership costs/hassles of the first batch of braveheart owners
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks