Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2006, 17:51   #31
BHPian

The answer for your query is just this:

Better car: Definitely the Embera. It's better than Civic in all factors.

Resale value: It may be the Civic. But Civic's long term performance report is not yet out, so cant comment on that straightaway.

If you want full value for your money it should be the Embera.
Old 24th September 2006, 19:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

hey sam,

dunno if my suggestions gonna help. . .but if u thinking CNG then have u considered the Diesel option ?
and if your comfy with DIESEL then theres NO better car than the Skoda Octi.

cheers.
j
Old 24th September 2006, 23:08   #33
BANNED

sonata embera auto all the way. civic auto is nice but i found it horribly slow than the manual. and close to 13 laks and no leather seats too.....
Old 25th September 2006, 00:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_78
My requirements :

1) Reliable ,Cheap to maintain .
2) Luxury
3) Good ***
4) should have a good ride and tough built quality.
5) should be easily compatible with CNG .
Relability = Toyota / Honda
Cheap to maintain = Optra
Luxury = Sonata

sadly you havent included parameters like niche design or good driving exp. which could have easily tilted in favour of Civic.
Old 25th September 2006, 08:37   #35
BHPian

hey, SAM_78 :

Have a look at this thread where how the Sonata Embera has impressed me far more than even the Accord, while u are still deciding it against civic/corolla/octaivas!

IF price is not a concern, and u think u can spend the money to buy the Sonata Embera, that is the best that money can buy for u! a car with features, performance, style, looks, all worth more than a 17lk Accord, only compromising 10-15% on the Interior Quality to accord, also having huge savings on the Spares and repairs, the Sonata Embera is a candy!

I was almost set to buy it out, the blue pearl color at a price of around 15.5lk onraod, last year, but then came the Laura!

Here is the report and discussion of it against the Accord...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-ca...vs-accord.html

Hope its of help to u, and u be a happy Sonata owner soon! which color u thinking dude?

Its actually wrong to compare the Sonata with the Civic/Corolla/Octavias , but then its priced such that its above these cars, and below the accord. while its best compared against the Accord, Laura, Camry.

Regarding the CNG thing...if u are very very keen on grreat mileage, then please go for the CIVIC. even with cng on both civic and embera, the Civic will give a bit more mileage. but thats all. I am sure the CNG will perform very good in the Embera, but about the Endorsement in RC thing, that u will ahve to wait and work out. Norms keep getting easier in the long run, and lil problems like this will get sorted out...

Reliability wise both are terrific, while Sonata will be cheaper to maintain than a Civic at most times. keep in mind Honda parts for high end cars are very expensive, and Hyundai, even for high end cars is very cheap!

As I see u from delhi, have a look at this link:
dealer from delhi :

http://www.indiamart.com/ecogas/about-us.html

Last edited by Insane Devil : 25th September 2006 at 08:51.
Old 25th September 2006, 09:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

is the car supposed to be among these 3 only?

You can also look at Optra, Elantra, Octavia, Cedia, Skoda RS, and Mondeo(14+).

Last edited by devarshi84 : 25th September 2006 at 09:02.
Old 25th September 2006, 09:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

The only problem with the 2.4 ltr Embera's 3.5 lakh discount is that it means it is soon going to be an 'out of production' model. To be replaced by another set of engines like in other countries.

Same is going to be the case with the Elantra and Mondeo. 2007 is going to bring new platforms for these models.

Optra and Cedia, I would ask you to avoid because they lack the 'bling' factor. hehe

That leaves out only the Civic which is a newly introduced model with a good resale value if you are looking to sell it some years down the line when some new car catches your fancy.
Old 25th September 2006, 13:18   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
Optra and Cedia, I would ask you to avoid because they lack the 'bling' factor. hehe

You have obviously not seen Rudra's car
Old 25th September 2006, 13:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
The only problem with the 2.4 ltr Embera's 3.5 lakh discount is that it means it is soon going to be an 'out of production' model. To be replaced by another set of engines like in other countries.
The 2.4 ltr engine in the Embera is the same engine as sold in other countries. The difference is that they have the option of the 3.3 ltr V6 in some markets - which we dont.
Old 25th September 2006, 16:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

No offense to Sam or anyone else, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why people are ready to splurge 15L on a nice set of wheels and then think of doing CNG/LPG, thereby screwing up the whole fun of owning / driving the car.
I mean, if I were to worry about petrol being a "costly" 50 per litre, I should be riding around in an M800 or a Reva, instead of even thinking of fine machines like the Civic/Embera etc.
This is not just for the sake of ranting. From experience, I know how the driving experience of your car changes when you shift from petrol to LPG. And that was on a mere M800. I have never been able to forgive myself for taking that stupid decision (was prompted by a neighbour who did it on his brand new M800, voiding warranty and declaring that it was cheap and good) and ruining the fun that I used to have with my car.
Am no fan of diesel, but I feel a CRDi would be preferrable to going CNG.
Old 25th September 2006, 16:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Am no fan of diesel, but I feel a CRDi would be preferrable to going CNG.
And I'm with you 100% on this one. It seems a shame to be picking up a Sonata Embera and then plonking a CNG kit in it. There is no way a CNG car has the same pick up & performance as its normal petrol brethren. Try the Ambassador CNG cabs in Delhi and you'll know - probably take a minute to go up to 60kmph (yeah, OK I'm exaggerating a bit but you get the general drift!) and then if they ease the throttle, takes a minute to get back there again!
Old 25th September 2006, 19:50   #42
BHPian

Supreme Baleno,

There are different things ppl think when buying a car. Buying a car is not a big thing nowadays, but maintaining one is. running one is.

When we were decided on the Sonata at 15.5 lk, and when we saw the Laura. My dad immediately said we will go for the Laura as its diesel. that costed close to 19lk. Now he said paying the 3.5lk extra for the diesel is easy for him, but the 7kmpl mileage of the Sonata and filling petrol in it just isnt "digestable" for him! so how i paid up 3.5lk extra just for a diesel engine,(while we were very much satisfied with the Sonata and its bigger too) in the same way, there are many who are ready to buy a luxury car coz they want to enjoy the good things in life, but are ready to compromise on power.

In that case its absurb why ppl buy these BMW 5 series and give em to drivers, while the whole fun is driving it around, the fabulous engine, but to them all that matters is the Luxury, and Status, as them of the engine in their hood and they got a ? look on their face.

In this way, i feel what Sam is doing here is quiet appreciatable, going in for a better car, when he jus doesnt care about how fast it goes or how quick he goes.

Everyone wants a piece of the good things in life pal... expectations... the worst or the best thing in a person!
Old 26th September 2006, 00:28   #43
BHPian

Thanks for the mixed suggestion guys .Each one of those is highly aappreciated ..

@Supreme baleno ,suman,iraghava ,danlalan - Guys ,i can see the frustration in you and very rightly so and that very well shows that you guys are pure Auto enthusiasts ...
I agree these luxury cars are not meant for such purpose but i feel gone are those days when we used to buy cars from our heart .Nowadays its a mix of both "Heart and mind" . I can afford to buy a car worth 12 lacs but i know i cant bear the cost of Petrol or diesel(diesel too is getting costlier day by day) due to my high usage .
In short ,i want my monthly expenses to be minimal .
If you guys 've any other ideas other than CNG please please do share it with me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
Supreme Baleno,

There are different things ppl think when buying a car. Buying a car is not a big thing nowadays, but maintaining one is. running one is.

When we were decided on the Sonata at 15.5 lk, and when we saw the Laura. My dad immediately said we will go for the Laura as its diesel. that costed close to 19lk. Now he said paying the 3.5lk extra for the diesel is easy for him, but the 7kmpl mileage of the Sonata and filling petrol in it just isnt "digestable" for him! so how i paid up 3.5lk extra just for a diesel engine,(while we were very much satisfied with the Sonata and its bigger too) in the same way, there are many who are ready to buy a luxury car coz they want to enjoy the good things in life, but are ready to compromise on power.

In that case its absurb why ppl buy these BMW 5 series and give em to drivers, while the whole fun is driving it around, the fabulous engine, but to them all that matters is the Luxury, and Status, as them of the engine in their hood and they got a ? look on their face.

In this way, i feel what Sam is doing here is quiet appreciatable, going in for a better car
Everyone wants a piece of the good things in life pal... expectations... the worst or the best thing in a person!
Exactly my thoughts .
Insane devil- are you by any chance an Astrologer ?? You 've put all my thoughts on paper . Thanks pal .

[quote]When he jus doesnt care about how fast it goes or how quick he goes./quote]
You are very right ID ,in this case i really dont care much about how fast the car is ..
Old 26th September 2006, 00:54   #44
BHPian

I would like to ask a ques from Iraghava ,danlanan ,supreme baleno and all those who are totally against CNG ..

Whats wrong in getting CNG fitted in these luxury cars ,is it only the compromise in performance or ther's something else you want to point out ?

If its only the above then why not ,I mean why not if you save thousands per month?
In my case ,i drve 100-120 km/day(lets assume 120km/day)

Petrol embera = Rs. 20250/month
CNG embera = Rs. 6000/month .

Difference = Rs. 14000 monthly .
The above figures are approx ,but you all can see the difference .Now please tell me guys is it a good idea to ignore these figures just for the sake of that extra performance ?

Please enlighten the facts guys ,i may be missing out on somethings .. Please ..
Guys, If i 've left out anything than please ignore my immaturity ..

@iraghava - Thanks bud ,i'll def PM driven .
Old 26th September 2006, 01:10   #45
BHPian

I may confuse you more !
You are ready to spend 12L on a car but not ready to bear the fuel expense.
I can see from your posts you are thinking more about the maintence part than luxuary/fun. In this case you can go for a 8-9 L car and save the 3 laks for your entire fuel Experience car.

You can buy the elephant but feeding and keeping it where the catch is !

Any car more that costs more than 10-12L will cost you a lot in maintenace.(no matter whether it is HONDA/HYUNDAI).Pls plan accordingly.

IMHO CNG for High end car is not worth it.The purpose of owning a high end car itself is gone!.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks