Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2006, 16:15   #106
Senior - BHPian

@sam Basically if you want a high end diesel car there are not many options available right now.
The elantra is due for replacement but may take some time.The verna crdi is there but won't give you a big car feel nor does it have the safety features of the big cars.Skoda expensive to maintain.Of the three the Elantra crdi makes sense for you[would be better if you could wait for the VGT version though].

@sam have recommended a diesel innova V grade version for a similar query regarding high end diesel car.It aleast has the benefit of lower maintainance costs than skoda.
This is an alternate option which could be considered ,which may not be practical for you but none the less an option you can consider.I Chose the innova to the safari since the innova is more car like.

Ps: Why is LPG as a low cost fuel option not being talked about.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 1st November 2006 at 16:28.
Old 1st November 2006, 17:25   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
@

Ps: Why is LPG as a low cost fuel option not being talked about.
Because as in CNG the warranty will be void.
Old 1st November 2006, 18:28   #108
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to add in my earlier post:

Ps: Why is LPG as a low cost fuel option not being talked about in the earlier parts of the thread.Would LPG be as problematic as CNG or even more.The LPG VS CNG question is for my understanding only and is offtopic with regard to sams question.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 1st November 2006 at 18:30.
Old 1st November 2006, 22:48   #109
BHPian

Here's a question: does it have to be a Sedan? Wh not an SUV? Your requirements say reliability, luxury, low maintenance etc. Why not get a top-end Scorpio or a Dicor VX ?
It's Dicor season in the team now, there's a bunch of people who might help you out if you wanted some help in deciding. You get diesel, most luxurious seats, king of the road position, and some offroad muscle in the bargain. If I had 12 lakhs to spend on a car, I'd buy the Dicor VX eyes closed; I'd live with all its defects.
Old 2nd November 2006, 09:48   #110
Senior - BHPian

@ballkey, only one problem with your recommendation - FE.

The Safari is big and heavy & FE would be naturally lower. I do not remember the FE figures put out by Steeroid, but I guess it is around 10-12kmpl. At 100kms a day, does not work out cheap. In that case he could as well go for a Civic, which would return similar or better FE.

That's why it has to be a sedan.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 2nd November 2006 at 09:51.
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:25   #111
BHPian

@SB: I'm not sure if that's much of an issue. If I remember correctly, another Delhi-based member bought a Dicor just to combat rising oil prices - he too had a 100+km commute. Steeroid says 13.5kmpl with spirited driving and a K&N filter. That's a fantastic figure, IMO. An SUV just makes great sense, in a country like India. I'm sure the recent rains would've proved that to you
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:38   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey
@SB: I'm not sure if that's much of an issue.
I am not sure whether you went thru the whole thread because if you did, you would have seen how big a priority FE is for sam_78 (reason for this thread being 8 pages big). And I don't blame him for that considering that he needs to commute 100km a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey
Steeroid says 13.5kmpl with spirited driving and a K&N filter. That's a fantastic figure, IMO.
For a Safari, yes it is a good figure. But a Civic would easily return that FE and would be a better option as far as looks, image & snob value goes.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 2nd November 2006 at 10:43.
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:48   #113
BHPian

Sam, you are getting nowhere. Since you have changed your mind to a diesel car either you should wait for a number of diesel models to get launched or choose between the Verna and Elantra CRDi. The better one is ofcourse the Elantra but its looks (frontal and interiors) wont give you anything to cheer at. Moreover the new Elantra to be launched looks much better than the current one.

What about the Innova Diesel? You wont get a big FE with that but it got a comfortable ride (may be comparable to the Safari) and has a reasonably powerful engine and good interiors and space. Spare parts won't be cheap like the Elantra but is definitely lesser than the Octavia.
Old 2nd November 2006, 22:39   #114
BHPian

Guys, i think i 've no other option left other than Octavia ...

I had a word with a Skoda dealer and he told me that the new facelifted Octavia should be here by jan 2007 but there wont be much changes ,slight changes in the interiors and exterior - (minor changes in the head and tail lights and the front grill) .

However, someone please tell me how much a regular service would cost after 2-3 years ?
Old 3rd November 2006, 11:07   #115
Senior - BHPian

It's going to be diesel car season next year and year after - IMO, in your position I would have explored another option, i.e. since you want to buy and keep a car for 5/7 yrs.

Hunt for a good used skoda/innova and use it till the new diesels are launched. These cars would have good resale value. Sell it and buy something that you really like next year. This way you would lose a bit of money on the used car , but it saves you from getting stuck for 5+ years with something you would buy now as a compromise.
Old 3rd November 2006, 13:49   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Hunt for a good used skoda/innova and use it till the new diesels are launched. These cars would have good resale value. Sell it and buy something that you really like next year. This way you would lose a bit of money on the used car , but it saves you from getting stuck for 5+ years with something you would buy now as a compromise.
Shuvc, i too was thinking on this but when i tried to search for the upcoming diesel cars(in my budget) i was not too convinced ...

1) Hyundai's New Elantra(end 2007)

2) Chevrolet Optra Diesel(early 2007)

3) Ford focus(end 2007?)

4) Fiat linea(end 2007?)

I dont know of any diesel car(other than these) that is planned for a launch in the year 2007 .
Every year ACI comes up with somewhat the same cover story but only handful of cars actually make it to india .
Of these 4 ,i feel only Hyundai elantra and the Optra is going to make it the next year(i may be wrong) . the linea and focus(i 've been hearing about focus since last 2-3 years) could be delayed ...

The Optra is not my choice .So, the only car left is the New Elantra ..

Is it really worth waiting ?
Old 3rd November 2006, 16:53   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_78
The Optra is not my choice .So, the only car left is the New Elantra ..

Is it really worth waiting ?
The question is, would you feel sad being stuck with the Octavia for the next 5 yrs ?
The follow up question is, among all the current cars & cars to be released in 2007, would you feel happiest with your Octavia decision ?

Another thought - be optimistic .. buy a used car now .. in 1.5 / 2yrs , maybe you'll be able to afford a Laura / Embera diesel
Old 5th November 2006, 16:09   #118
BHPian

Octavia it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Another thought - be optimistic .. buy a used car now .. in 1.5 / 2yrs , maybe you'll be able to afford a Laura / Embera diesel
Shuvc, thats not a bad idea at all ...

However, i feel i should wait for the facelifted version of the Octavia ,if there are significant changes ,then i would love to go for it!

Someone plese tell me how much a regular service would cost after two years of ownership and what parts to be replaced when and at what cost ?

Thanks .
Old 1st April 2007, 18:19   #119
BHPian

Update ..

Okie guys i 've more or less decided for Optra Diesel .. I 've been in touch with a GM dealer since last 2-3 monts and i finally got a confirmation from him last week that it 'll be launched by june-july (after spark) and 'll be priced under Rs. 10 lacs and 'll also be coming with in a new look ...

If he is to be believed it is the ideal car for me and i must admit that i really like the feel of the Optra and he confirmed that there wont be much technical changes in its diesel avatar .
Old 2nd April 2007, 10:18   #120
Senior - BHPian

hey sam,think once more.optra high end petrol is costing you that price.the diesel i guess ,if its priced for that money then the features would be too less.still the embera would be a better buy considering the value for money aspect.fully loaded and the necessary safety aspects too.any way you are prepared to wait till june ,make a last moment study too ,regards ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks