Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Hyundai Verna 219 42.12%
Honda City 143 27.50%
Maruti Ciaz 26 5.00%
Skoda Rapid 65 12.50%
Volkswagen Vento 48 9.23%
Fiat Linea 19 3.65%
Other (please specify in your post) 0 0%
Voters: 520. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2017, 09:21   #16
MCR
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans

Voted for Hyundai Verna. Simple choice according to me.
After having owned the Diesel Honda City for close to 3 years and having driven 30K kms, the glaring deficiency in NVH area are all too relevant.
Hyundai Verna on the other hand, has a very refined Diesel engine with better NVH.
Also the Ride and Handling is much better.

Coming to the Petrol engine, everybody says that Honda 1.5 is much better and very refined. However, I found that the Hyundai 1.6 is no pushover!

Overall Hyundai Verna 1.6VTVT Sx is a much better and VFM package than, Honda City 1.5 iVTec V Variant!
MCR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 16:26   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Hyundai Verna

I had mentioned this in the COTY thread (Verna was my second choice there). I would generally go with these:
1) Safety
2) Features
3) Engine
4) Driving comfort

The refreshed Verna has got everything right here. Although not a dynamic car to drive, it's much more engaging and that diesel motor is pure fun and refined. Since rear seats are not a priority for me, it wasn't a difficult choice for me. Honda City is a good all-rounder but I don't fancy it's build quality and the interior. Always loved the Vento, and the new fascia is sweet (those GTI type headlights), but I always struggle to find the ideal driving position in most of the VW cars (Vento, Jetta and Polo).

So it was an easy poll for me .

Last edited by naveen.raju : 18th December 2017 at 16:27.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 21:48   #18
BHPian

Voted for the Linea - purely because it is as solid and as entertaining as a BMW when driven at legal speeds at a fraction of the price. As it is built like a tank, it is abuse friendly and offers a great ride quality as well. Couldn't say the same for the other cars in this segment.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 22:23   #19
BHPian

If petrol, the City wins hands down. If diesel, the Verna would get my money.

I voted for the City because that's what I have! Am very happy with the car in almost 4 years without any major issues. The niggles are there, but that's livable.

PS: I didn't consider VW, Fiat because I prefer reliability over technology. The Ciaz with its baby engines is something I don't put in the same league as the other cars here.

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 18th December 2017 at 22:24.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 22:40   #20
BHPian

I have voted for Honda City and for obvious reasons. The 1.5 ivtec is gem of an engine and there is no substitute under 10 lakhs.

I have driven 3 cars from the above list, Honda City, Maruti Ciaz and Volkswagen Vento where all three are petrol variants. I found Ciaz to be the least involving and uninspiring to drive but a very practical sedan and makes every sense if you are not too keen on driving. Volkswagen Vento simply begs for a refreshed model rather than some updates.
Old 19th December 2017, 07:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

It was an easy choice for me, both the actual purchase and voting in this thread

Honda City failed to impress me with its boring old looks and lack of features, like Android Auto. Hyundai Verna all the way. This, from an ex-Hyundai hater.

Ciaz didn't even make it to my list of cars to consider.

Stayed away from VW and Skoda to avoid service woes (cost + parts). Otherwise, Rapid DSG would have been a good choice.

Almost 3000 Kms completed with the Verna.

Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans-psx_20171210_192939.jpg

Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans-psx_20171202_153111.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 19th December 2017 at 07:30.
clevermax is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 07:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans

Hyundai diesel vs the Honda Petrol vs the Fiat ride and handling.

My choice the Verna here.The super refined diesel, ventilated seats, long equipment list and a pretty sorted ride now. In my books the Verna diesel is the best all rounder.

Honda's sweet Petrol is a close second.

Linea is too long in the tooth.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 19th December 2017 at 08:01.
Old 19th December 2017, 10:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

It was a easy choice for me. Honda City !

Ciaz engine is under-powered compared to the competition, even though a super value-for-money offering and Maruti's service standards are one of the best.

I don't trust VW and Skoda, even though their products are just fantastic. VW really needs to come out of the whole emission scandal and improve the dealership experience 10x. I know a lot of nightmarish stories of VW and Skoda dealers in Pune.

Linea...well I don't know.

I have not driven the new Verna yet, but overall, I am not 100% confident on putting a million rupees on a Hyundai product. I have had terrible dealership experiences at two Hyundai dealers at two different times. Very arrogant, "take it or leave it" attitude.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 10:52   #24
BHPian

Voted for the Vento. Made the decision a few months back myself. Replaced my Honda City with Vento TSI. Post comparing all the petrol automatics, none had the thrill of driving as the TSI had. Given I have a Skoda Laura L&K the fear of VW servicing was not as high. Have had a good experience till date with VW. Although a dated model the engine is too good to let up on. In diesels the Verna would win hands down.
arakhanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 11:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the City as I'd buy petrol cars taking my low running and diesel bans into account. The City CVT is an incredible example of how good CVTs are becoming. The City is the best option for a no-nonsense ownership- it does most things well or above average.

For the diesel fans, the Verna is undoubtedly the king.

I'd buy the Ciaz if it was a secondary car- the case only for the uber rich.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 11:18   #26

Barring me and a gentleman above I wonder who are the other 5 people to have voted for a Linea. Would I buy a Linea if I were in the market today. Absolutely, provided Fiat wants to sell one.

The other car I would love to own would be the Honda City.

I haven't test driven a Vento or Rapid but did drive the polo 1.2 tsi and did not like the overall driving experience. If not for the VW badge I would have felt the steering and suspension were tuned by Hyundai. The behavior of these two components so closely resembled my i20 that it was a major turn off. After my experience with the polo gt tsi I did not feel like calling a Vento tsi for a test drive.

Now, coming to Hyundai. I own a i20 crdi. Its close to being 6 years old. The first three years were fuss free. Things started to come apart post that. Steering rack, clutch master and slave cylinder, turbo core had to be either replaced or repaired. All this for a car which has been driven sedately most of the time. I would not touch another Hyundai once again. I am ready to take these niggles in my stride provided the car has something I can't live without. I see none of those in a Hyundai.
s_scorpion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 11:23   #27
BHPian

Ciaz for me.

It has all essentials in place, viz., space, comfort, plush ride, airy cabin, adequate boot, rear AC vents, silent engine and wide service network.

Essential safety kit viz., ABS with EBD, Airbags for driver and co-passenger, parking sensors, rear view camera, auto dimming IRVM, good ground clearance, etc, are present.

Some goodies viz., projectors, keyless entry and go, foot-well illumination, good music system, touch screen, good looking alloys, adequate tyre profiles, etc.

In city conditions, it is quick off the mark, gathers speed within no time. It soaks in those nasty potholes and maneuvers over the most unscientific speed breakers without scraping anywhere. On an open highway it can cruise un-strained all day at 100+ speeds on a highway, climb the steepest inclines, and return efficiency of above 15 Kmpl. Despite its light weight, the car is rock solid at 100+speeds and comes to a halt in straight line without drama under panic braking. The matured suspension does not allow car to get unsettled or let vibrations creep in, when driven over the rumbler strips at speed.

All these come at a very reasonable price band where others charge a cool premium for similar or even lesser provision.

I am not much bothered about the on-paper prowess of any engine as long as its meets the expectations in terms of performance, efficiency and reliability.
King_pin09 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 11:57   #28
BHPian

Hyundai Verna is really the best value for money in this segment with features that doesn’t exist even in cars a segment or two above (ventilated seats). But the rear space is a real deal killer for me, it’s just too cramped for a C2 segment car and can’t get past that when voting. Voted for Honda City just because of this reason otherwise Verna wins every other face off.
Old 19th December 2017, 12:52   #29
BHPian

Voted for Honda City.

I am a petrol head and no better engine on offer in this segment than the iVtec! Add to that the loads of space in the back seat and in the boot.
Old 19th December 2017, 12:58   #30
BHPian

Voted for Vento, If I am looking for a C2 segment car with automatic gear box Vento would be my choice. I think there is no match for DSG gear box when you compare above mentioned cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks