Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Hyundai Verna 219 42.12%
Honda City 143 27.50%
Maruti Ciaz 26 5.00%
Skoda Rapid 65 12.50%
Volkswagen Vento 48 9.23%
Fiat Linea 19 3.65%
Other (please specify in your post) 0 0%
Voters: 520. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2017, 21:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans

Voted for the Verna, within a few days of the launch my office parking slots had spanking new Vernas in plenty and i had a good chance to go over its entire length. It looks so cool to put it in simple terms, the bells and whistles that come long being an added advantage. I would buy it now if i was looking for a proper C2 sedan in the market.

The Honda City has an understated elegance about it and will be my second choice in the list.

The Ciaz would get all things done as needed but wouldn't score any marks in the being cool department in my opinion at least. The nexa blue color ups the desirability factor though. Second runner-up.

Owners of the Rapid and the Vento in my friend circle term them as white elephants. I have been in a Rapid extensively, the interiors look bland and gloomy and fare no better in improving the experience.

Others in the list, I will take a pass.
sandx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 23:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Diesel Verna AT has most things right from my list. The superior build quality compared to City/Ciaz gets lot of marks too. Are the NCAP ratings available for the India specific models?
Old 20th December 2017, 00:12   #48
PKH
BHPian

Voted for Verna, I had extensively did research and test drove all the cars in the segment apart from Fiat as they don't have a showroom in Trivandrum. My two cents on choosing Verna are

Most fun car to drive loved the way the diesel motor pulls effortlessly and loved the driving dynamics (I own a GT TDI and I am not easily impressed by most of the cars)

Value for money is cheaper than the competition and offers more goodies for the buck.

The only downside is the rear seat space and the top spec diesel variant not available with an automatic gearbox.
PKH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 07:12   #49
BHPian

Definitely a tough one to decide. Last year gave TD for both Verna and City back to back and recommended Verna immediately. City steering felt too light to give confidence at high speeds. Also its pricey while Verna was feature rich.
Still remember that I was on drivers seat of a Vento for exactly a minute. Felt so claustrophobic that I had to eject. But again, heard so much about the DSG that I want to drive it badly.
To me, the best looker and head turner will be the Rapid. Whether old or new, it has always been so beautiful. Wish Skoda rectifies their ASS and things go better.

So, Voted for Verna now.
Old 20th December 2017, 09:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Verna!

Pros:
Acceptable ride and handling
Most powerful engines in the segment!
Resale value! Right there with the Marutis!
Interiors which make every drive an occasion!
6 forward gears!

Cons:
Space! Didn't expect to see this compromise when we have the City around!
May not be the most fun to drive.

A car you can suggest to both noobs and enthusiasts! Maybe the hard-core guys can go with the Linea T jet!
Old 20th December 2017, 10:00   #51
BHPian

My vote is for Honda City. I was actually in the market for a new car a year ago. I liked the driving comfort and the stability of Rapid. But my family liked City and Ciaz. I could understand after all they are the ones going to occupy the back seats. But then my family chose City over Ciaz for premium feel. I chose City for the good petrol engine. It is a well settled all purpose engine with enough energy for both within city and highway drives.

After the face-lift in 2017, again test drove all these vehicles. I found Verna very peppy and Ciaz very dull. City and Rapid didn't do much in the face-lift for the driver in us. Changes were more cosmetic.
Old 20th December 2017, 13:38   #52
BHPian

Voted for the City. Have booked one too!

One can never go wrong with that free revving Ivtec motor in the City. Off course it is not FTD and neither a corner carver. Despite its own share of niggles (puny tyres, sub par fit and finish, light build quality, loud and uninspiring diesel motor) it still manages to offer the best backseat experience in its class. Ticks all the right check boxes for a typical Chauffeur Driven / Family Oriented C2 segment buyer.

Drove the Verna and I found it to be more suitable for a buyer looking for a diesel engine. That 1.6D is an absolute gem plus the car is very well put together as compared to the City and even the Ciaz.

Only if the Petrol Verna came with an Ivtec motor!

Last edited by MacBa : 20th December 2017 at 13:45. Reason: Added the Verna experience :)
Old 20th December 2017, 14:40   #53
BHPian

Voted for Honda City. Having owned the type 2 vtec for 6 years and I-Vtec model for 5 years really made me a fan of City despite having high running costs. The petrol engine by Honda is a gem and irreplacable by any other manufacturer. Quality of materials and fit ad finish of Honda is really great. However, their diesel have a long way to go, that's why we've moved to Maruti's tried and tested 1.3 DDIS 200 recently.
Old 20th December 2017, 21:23   #54
BHPian

Have owned the Honda City i-Vtec (3rd gen) for 6 years and driven over 120,000 kms with it. The only issues I have with it are the light build quality, the weak lights, the grip levels because of the tyre size and yes, quite funnily, the wheezy horn. The latter 3 issues have been sorted through with upgrades though.

The engine though deserves to have a lifetime honour award just for that engine note. This along with the 1.8 i-Vtec engine gets me high on the note every time I floor it. The only issue I have with the engine is the rev limiter which cuts in rather abruptly (though for good measure ).

Having said this, I have voted for the Skoda Rapid just because the new City hasn't evolved enough. Might be crazy for saying this, but I just feel that Honda has lost its direction with its new crop of vehicles. The Skoda Rapid has stayed true to its character while the City seems to be drifting away towards trying to impress everyone while losing itself in the crowd.

Last edited by crux : 20th December 2017 at 21:24. Reason: typo
crux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 02:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

It is the Honda for me. There is absolutely nothing that can beat the brilliance of that iVtec engine. Honda have also done a lot of work on the ride and I would not call it a boat anymore. The City has pretty much all the toys you are ever going to need too. Honda's way of maximizing space utilization can be seen in this car as well. Space and practicality are in abundance.

A place in my heart still wants to own a Fiat Linea T Jet. 8 years on and the car looks beautiful, especially the color on this thread which I have never seen on the road. It is a design that can never age. As a past owner, I can say that even today, there is nothing to beat it when it comes to driving pleasure. It trumps a few cars at higher segments too. There are several flaws and I am someone who can live with all of it.
Old 21st December 2017, 04:58   #56
BHPian

Its a no brainer for me. I have voted for Verna (Voted as Team-BHP COTY as well). I get a 1.6 l motor in both a creamy Petrol and a refined Diesel with a 6 gear MT and AT. This gives the best of both world for the intended owner. Its afterall projected as a family car and not expected to give explosive performance. It sets out to do the intended job perfectly without any fuss.

Add to it, it is now based on the K2 Elantra platform. Which means I now have protection for my family as well.

Not to mention the features it gives. All these above at a affordable price. Perfect mass market family mover for me.

Last edited by arunramaswamy : 21st December 2017 at 04:59.
Old 21st December 2017, 12:37   #57
BHPian

My Vote is for Ciaz. An overall VFM package. Ideally suited for the pocket with its price and its mileage. Superior comfort and space for 5 people and a humongous boot. I am not the kind of guy looking for 0-100 sec speed trap timings. So overall a very happy and satisfied Ciaz customer.
Sarath_MoJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 17:24   #58
SRT
BHPian

Voted for City

The IVTEC is a fantastic technology and hence the engine and car. The only petrol car among the mentioned cars which can do the following milestones which I have personally achieved many times.

0-100 KMPH in 9-10 Seconds
Maximum mileage of 20-23 KMPL for many highway trips and 13-16 KMPL in cities.

The above mileage has been verified by many methods.
SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 13:23   #59
BHPian

It was tough choosing between the City and Verna. The City has a gem of a petrol engine, and even the infamous diesel engine is improved with the noise being as good/bad as the Ciaz or Vento. It also has a super-comfy backseat, great efficiency and the 'Honda City' legacy. However, my biggest grouse with the current gen is that the overriding sense of quality that was present in the previous generations is sorely missing.

The new Verna feels well built inside-out, is quick and refined (diesel), offers lots of equipment and comes at a VFM price. The only drawback is the underwhelming backseat experience (a common trait among all Hyundai sedans).

The deciding factor for me was the quality. And that's why my vote goes to the Hyundai Verna.
Old 23rd December 2017, 23:06   #60

Voted for Verna (planning to take delivery this week for one...Petrol AT SX(O)). For all said and done, I don’t like the idea of buying a diesel in the current situations. Who knows when the darn things might get banned or short-lifed all over the nation.

Having driven most cars in this list in Petrol AT, here is my opinion:
City: would love buying it if Honda comes down from the high hills it has climbed to and brings the ZX CVT prices to a reasonable figure.
Vento: Best car in my opinion. Would buy it and only it if VW gave a blanket cover that they would fix any defects within a reasonable time without emptying my accounts.
Crazy: would buy it if MS added a cruise control and add enough strength to the body to prevent it from folding like a paper.
Linda: just don’t like the looks of it!
Rapid: never driven it but the idea of owning a Skoda/VW is scary as much nice their cars might be.
meetraghav is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks