Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Hyundai Verna 219 42.12%
Honda City 143 27.50%
Maruti Ciaz 26 5.00%
Skoda Rapid 65 12.50%
Volkswagen Vento 48 9.23%
Fiat Linea 19 3.65%
Other (please specify in your post) 0 0%
Voters: 520. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:57   #61
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetraghav View Post
Having driven most cars in this list in Petrol AT, here is my opinion:
City: would love buying it if Honda comes down from the high hills it has climbed to and brings the ZX CVT prices to a reasonable figure.
Vento: Best car in my opinion. Would buy it and only it if VW gave a blanket cover that they would fix any defects within a reasonable time without emptying my accounts.
Crazy: would buy it if MS added a cruise control and add enough strength to the body to prevent it from folding like a paper.
Linda: just don’t like the looks of it!
Rapid: never driven it but the idea of owning a Skoda/VW is scary as much nice their cars might be.
Man, when where these new cars called 'Crazy' and 'Linda' launched. Would love to get my hands on them.

Btw, I echo your opinions. The Verna is definitely the jack of all trades and perhaps the best car when you consider everything. Though I won't mind going for the Vento as long as it is a manual(and of-course the TDI). Voted for the Vento.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 18:44   #62
BHPian

From the given list, Verna & City were the contenders for me. My pick is Verna and voted for that. Even if I have not driven the new gen Verna yet, with the experience of the older generation one & the T-BHP review, I can be assured it will excel my expectations. I am not a Hyundai fanboy, and feel their ASS is not as good as been advertised (my experience says so). Still, from the given list, Verna is my pick. Below are the reasons to avoid City and others.

Dec 2017, I drove the City from Palakkad (Kerala) to Bangalore and I could not feel connected to the car. I am just a driver and I am totally unaware of all the mechanical tech stuffs inside. When I was driving (I don't know the reason), I could not feel that I am driving something worth 14+ L. Not sure why, could be that I was in higher speeds (~120 kmph), could be that I was in a hurry mood and was driving back after attending the funeral of my dearest grandma, could be that I was driving my cousin's car (I am normally nervous when I drive relative's car). Might be that, I have never driven (even not a single test drive) any Honda car before.

I truly love the Linea T-Jet, but in my opinion, it's time is over and if there is a facelift, I will definitely go for it (if I am buying a car in this segment). This was the car that I yearned-for in 2009/ 2010 when I bought Accent (different reasons though) and have drooled over every Linea that passed me. Have never missed an opportunity to drive one. Still, keeping aside my love/ bias towards Linea/ Punto, I feel it's time is up and a facelift is long overdue.

I have driven Rapid for considerable time and really love the dynamics/ ergonomics/ comfort etc, but I am skeptical of the long term ownership experience and feedback on their ASS is scary.

I have taken multiple test drives of Ciaz, but unfortunately only the petrol variant was available whenever I was in showroom and that is not at all inspiring to drive.

Vento, I have never driven, but it would almost be another Rapid with a different logo.

So, if I am to buy a car from this list, my pick would be Verna and duly voted for it.

Last edited by Jakku : 3rd January 2018 at 19:03. Reason: Adding the reason to avoid City
Jakku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 19:44   #63
Senior - BHPian

Vento. Vento. Vento.
If I get the option to poll thrice, I would hit the same button

Reasons:-
  • DSG - nothing comes close. Not even the smoothest of gear sticks out there in the market
  • Mature suspension/ ride quality - supple at every turn, nook or corner. Highway king.
  • Diesel engine - for whatever the world bashes VW for it, the 1.5 liter engine does its job pretty well
  • Design - ah, it has matured so well and is not afraid of hiding its true age. No "sweet sixteen" wannabe look here, majestic is the norm
  • Ownership experience - not once in the last 2+ years (that includes 40,000 on the odo) has my Vento groaned or even cringed.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 3rd January 2018 at 20:12.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 20:59   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Man, when where these new cars called 'Crazy' and 'Linda' launched. Would love to get my hands on them.
Damn! Those are atrocious mistakes! Shuffling between Windows/Android/iOS has taken a toll on my typing skills, it seems!

But yeah! Verna seems the best option right now. Like they say in a famous Hindi idiom...Andhon mein kana Raja!
meetraghav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 11:50   #65
Senior - BHPian

While the race is on, City seems to have won it by a narrow margin for the year 2017! - Highest selling mid-size sedan during calendar year 2017

Quote:
Honda Cars in a recent press statement announced that its bestseller City has registered a sales of 62,573 units in full year 2017 and thus becoming the highest selling mid-size sedan during calendar year 2017! We did an analysis on the data and figured that City did overtake Ciaz by a mere 606 units! The competition was indeed stiff and City achieved the feat with a close margin.
More details: URL

Also, while Ciaz has not received as many votes here, it seems to be the Mass Maharaja and comes a close second to the City in what can almost be considered a photo finish of sorts! Given that the 2017 Verna was released in the later part of the year, 2018 is when the segment becomes a 3 horse race with Verna also jumping in!
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 13:06   #66
Senior - BHPian

One more thing to consider is the service costs and service intervals. Below is a combination of screen grabs from Zigwheels.com with respective service costs for the City and the Verna. The Petrol Verna stands at around 35~k for 6 years while the Petrol City stands around ~44.5 K for just 5 years. Hyundai's seem to have 1 year service interval in later stages while the City has 6 months interval.

Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans-service_costs_city_verna.png

Sources are from Zigwheels.com

City - Service cost for City
Verna - Service cost for Verna

I was also going through the highest odometer threadand searched for Verna's and quite frankly there are not many results for a Petrol Verna. Won't a petrol Verna last for 100k km easily with regular maintenance or they are just good for 50 to 60k kms of running ? Looking from inputs from people who used their Petrol Hyundai's close to a 100k kms without much trouble.

Edit: Even though I voted for the City I feel the Verna is a better all rounder but I find that the Petrol version does not have many takers. Even the Team BHP owner ship reviews are dominated by diesel editions of the Verna. I understand that IVTEC is IVTEC ( I own a Civic) but given a choice would betting money on a Petrol Verna be a bad decision considering that it is a better built and that one is not a diesel fan.

Thanks.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 8th January 2018 at 13:13.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 00:18   #67
BHPian

Voted for Rapid. I feel Rapid is a well packaged car. It’s got the power. Good build quality. Safe and reliable. New style. Same for Vento too. But only thing lacking for Vento is a much needed upgrade/facelift. Looks good enough for me though.
Old 1st March 2018, 14:57   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Won't a petrol Verna last for 100k km easily with regular maintenance or they are just good for 50 to 60k kms of running ? Looking from inputs from people who used their Petrol Hyundai's close to a 100k kms without much trouble.
Good luck searching for 100K petrol inputs, cos' anyone with that running would prefer the more economical and entertaining diesel option. Our first generation 2012 Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDI is at 133K and apart from regular consumables (clutch, brake pads, brak disc, etc.) and a compressor replacement at 106K the reliability has been above average.
manson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 11:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Feb 2018 sales numbers
Ciaz 4897
Verna 4001
City 3885
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 12:28   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Battle of the sedans - Maruti Suzuki's Ciaz and Honda's City in a close fight, Verna is left far behind.

Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans-se.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th March 2018 at 12:33.
Old 7th March 2018, 14:53   #71
A M
BHPian

I think it is close enough.

Verna's numbers start counting from the month of August. Bringing both the rivals at par, i.e. ignoring the previous month's (Mar-July) sales in the monthly average calculation, the Ciaz stands at 4645/month and City just follows behind at 4492/month.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 15:17   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Verna is left far behind.
Far (?) behind, too much of an exaggeration leading to misunderstood numbers perhaps? Despite a noticeable dip in December which could be due to some production or distribution constraints, the new Verna has the City down 5-2 in the seven months of its production.
manson is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 15:22   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Far (?) behind, too much of an exaggeration leading to misunderstood numbers perhaps?.
Based on the Avg/month, the word 'far' is used.
Old 7th March 2018, 15:31   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Ideally, this segment doesn't have very attractive options - to the point I would prefer a crossover than one of these sedans owing to greater practicality.
However, if the cross over option was out :

- Vento / Rapid for the self driven. Vento got my vote because of the 1.2 TSi engine, slightly nicer interiors, and in Mumbai - expected better service quality.

- Yaris / City for the chauffeur driven with great legroom, etc. I would have voted for the Ciaz, but a lot of Ciaz's that I've sat in just don't seem as well built after a few years / 30K on the odo.

The Verna is a brilliant car too, to be honest - beautiful engine, great features, and much improved in almost all aspects.
However, my grouse with the Verna is more to do with the interior design, and not as comfortable rear seat.

If I needed one car that did it all, and had a young family - the Verna would make a lot of sense.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 15:38   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Based on the Avg/month, the word 'far' is used.
It is only fair to use an identical sample size if you must compare averages. I hope you realize a lot of folks make car buying decisions based on our forum content and your above post gives unfair disadvantage to the Verna in this comparison.

Last edited by manson : 9th March 2018 at 11:18.
manson is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks