Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Maruti Ciaz Facelift 56 14.04%
Honda City 101 25.31%
Hyundai Verna 126 31.58%
Toyota Yaris 27 6.77%
Skoda Rapid 39 9.77%
Volkswagen Vento 33 8.27%
Fiat Linea 17 4.26%
Other (please specify in your post) 0 0%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2018, 08:03   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz Facelift vs the others

I voted for the Skoda as it has a good engine, brilliant gearbox (DSG), great high speed manners and good brakes. Feels like a typical German car and is elegant inside.

That being said, the Verna’s diesel pot, 7 speed DSG from Skoda, Featurelist from the Honda, safety package from the Yaris, looks and built like a Skoda, Dealer network like Maruti and discounts like Fiat would be the right formula. Come on manufacturers, is it so difficult to know the pulse of your customers?
Old 20th October 2018, 10:55   #47
BHPian

I have voted for the Skoda Rapid, mainly for the TDI engine, but also for its strong build, features, and overall elegance and simplicity. It also shows an effort to keep itself a relevant player in the market unlike Fiat Linea. Linea is simply abandoned by Fiat itself.

The main deal breaker in Verna is the driver seat comfort itself (for me, of course). I did not feel confident that it would be comfortable on long drives. Its steering us also too light compared to the ones of its competitors.

Ciaz etc are quite light build. But may be good for city travels at the rear seat.

Vento, good fit and finish and ride and engine, no doubt. But the same package Rapid seems to be more value for money.
Old 20th October 2018, 18:22   #48
BHPian

This is difficult eh? I had a Creta top trim petrol auto which i bought simply because it was a good car that fit my requirements at that time. But my plans did not pan out and the car saw less than 7000 km in the last 14 months.

My uncle retired recently and was looking for a hassle free car that he could use for intra and inter city travel; i gave the Creta to him and so started hunting for a sedan again.
After trying out the Ciaz, City and Verna, i chose the Verna as it has all the bells and whistles and most importantly, comes with automatic option on the top trim petrol.

I did not try the others as i m allergic to VAG cars due to past experiences, i have owned a lovely TJet petrol Linea when i was a member of the singles club and Toyota simply did not bother to give me a test drive.

So Verna it is. I am a sedate driver these days and so didn't see the point of getting a vTec nor do i need the rear seat hectares that the Ciaz provides.
Safety is important and if i could have stretched for the Elantra, i would have done so as it gets more by way of driver and safety aids.

Last but not least, no more sweaty shirt backs and uncomfortable bottoms!!
N33raj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 15:08   #49
BANNED

I had a 340 kms drive in a pre-facelifted Maruti Ciaz which is having the 1.4L petrol engine. The engine has good drivability at lower rpms compared to i-vtec engine, and the ride was rather plush at the back seat. But but but, the drive was extremely boring. The suspension is on the softer side and body roll was prominent. Chucking into corners at comparatively high speeds induces body roll, emergency braking induces prominent nose dive in an uncomfortable manner. I did not felt safe at speeds higher than 70kmph, and the rear felt too much bouncy. The interiors did not felt any different from other Maruti cars in the lower price bracket. My brother also had the same observations, he drives a swift petrol. I always had complaints about the ride quality of my Honda City due to the stiff suspension, but I am a changed man now. Ciaz is good if I want a plush and lazy journey, but a big no if I want to drive.

The whole drive was done on Kerala roads. The highways here are having lots of twists and turns, mostly single laned. So the above observations are strictly based on these conditions and strictly based on my personal preferences.

Last edited by pavi : 21st October 2018 at 15:12.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 17:48   #50
Senior - BHPian

Yaris it is for me. No 6 airbag and safety features car in the segment comes anywhere close in price at which a Yaris is available at. The other gizmos are just good to have and not must have. Even it's mechanicals and power train are no push overs compared to the other popular choices here.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 21:44   #51
BHPian

I don't think it's not that tough to choose, considering all the factors, including price.

Petrol: Honda City 1.5L i-VTEC MT (Verna 1.6L VTVT misses out just. Had lot of hopes on face-lifted Ciaz new K15 1.5L petrol engine, but thoroughly disappointed).

Diesel: Hyundai Verna, both AT and MT are good choices.

But overall, my vote goes to Hyundai Verna for its features, quality, safety and all-round capabilities.
Old 21st November 2018, 15:10   #52
BHPian

The next best Replacement to Cruze

Hi guys,

It’s that time again when you need an advice from your contemporaries regarding the crucial decision which if not taken diligently, will keep on haunting for the next half a decade for sure.

Yes you guessed it right, a new vehicle has to join the stable and the old steed needs to retire.

Following are the existing vehicles being used :-

1. Ford Endeavour 2.2 – Usually for highway runs and occasionally Local Drives
2. Chevrolet Cruze LTZ – Used as a daily Driver
3. Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire – Used for grocery runs and all

As the Cruze has already crossed the 8 years mark and the NGT and Supreme Court ruling will come into force in the near future, therefore considering to replace it.

Going in flow with the prevailing sentiments and the indefinite future of diesel vehicles, contemplating to buy a Petrol Vehicle.

As my Dad also drives sometimes therefore considering an AT version.

My daily drive consists of 60 kms run from Gurgaon - Delhi and vice-versa, so the AT might help in that too.

Have considered the following Petrol Automatics so far :-

1. Honda City AT
2. Maruti Suzuki Ciaz AT
3. Hyundai Verna AT
4. Toyota Yaris AT
5. Volksvagen Vento AT
6. Skoda Rapid AT
7. Ford Ecosport AT
8. Ford Aspire AT (as suggested by a friend)

So guys after going through the requirement which of the above do you consider as the best suited vehicle and worthy replacement to the Cruze while keeping a budget of uotp 15 lakh OTR in mind.

Do give your reasoning along with your votes and feel free to add any other option you deem fit.

Thanks in advance,

Luv
Old 21st November 2018, 15:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

Re: The next best Replacement to Cruze

For a single person driven car, nothing beats the fun of the Aspire along with the decent mileage (11-12 full cycle). The ASS isn't great but not terrible either.

Just check the piece thoroughly before buying.

The city is good but costlier and has a rougher ride. Otherwise a gem of a car
Old 21st November 2018, 16:20   #54
A M
BHPian

I might be the odd one out here but I would recommend the Yaris.

Sure the space is at a premium, but for a single person driving the car and availability of Endeavour as a highway car, I think that should not be a problem.

What you get though is 6 airbags and abuse friendliness of a Toyota.

Performance is nowhere near Cruze though but none of your other choices come close.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 16:56   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot of this boils down to your priorities.

If you want a good family car, look no further than the VFM Ciaz / premium Yaris / EcoSport.
I find the City to be over-priced given it's very similar to the Ciaz but with a large premium for the engine.
The Rapid AT is pretty much out of the list when you have the more engaging Vento TSi AT on the list.
Aspire is very similar to the Dzire in your garage

Just to add to the confusion, what about the Creta 1.6 P AT? A little over your budget, but well specc-ed, comfortable, easy to drive, reliable, etc.

However, if you've been spoiled by the brilliant performance of the Cruze, and would like an engaging driver's car, then top vote goes to the Vento TSi.

Are you open to pre-owned options?
If so, then a 2 year old Corolla could be a good option, as could be a good deal on an Elantra.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 17:22   #56
BHPian

From the options given Vento Tsi AT would be the top priority considering you are spoiled by the performance of Cruze and ASS is not much of an issue, followed by the EcoSport AT. Honda City can be considered only if you want a family sedan, with great rear backseat and also involving in driving.

Agreeing with @lamborghini , do check out the Creta Petrol AT. The engine and the gearbox are super smooth and would be a little stretch over the budget ( around 16L OTR Delhi) .

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 17:58   #57
BHPian

Agreed with @lamborghini.

After driving the Cruze, I think your only option is the Vento/Rapid TSI.

Solid built, just like the Cruze.
&
Fast, just like the Cruze.

Ride and handling of the Vento is pretty great. Although after sales could be a gamble with VW/Skoda, since you have owned a Chevrolet, you are probably more adept at handling heartburns than the regular petrolhead.

The latest Vento has plenty of technology in it too. Not to mention, the boot space which is decent if not as big as the Cruze's.

Ok now, the elephant in the room, the DSG. You will absolutely love it when you use it as your daily. There is no guarantee it will fail. Most DSG's don't fail, statistically. Just take care of it and it should last you a long time. In my books, the DSG is so good, that it is worth the gamble.
veedub89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 18:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Agreed with @lamborghini.

After driving the Cruze, I think your only option is the Vento/Rapid TSI.

Solid built, just like the Cruze.
&
Fast, just like the Cruze.

Ride and handling of the Vento is pretty great. Although after sales could be a gamble with VW/Skoda, since you have owned a Chevrolet, you are probably more adept at handling heartburns than the regular petrolhead.

The latest Vento has plenty of technology in it too. Not to mention, the boot space which is decent if not as big as the Cruze's.

Ok now, the elephant in the room, the DSG. You will absolutely love it when you use it as your daily. There is no guarantee it will fail. Most DSG's don't fail, statistically. Just take care of it and it should last you a long time. In my books, the DSG is so good, that it is worth the gamble.
+1, the Vento DSG would be a good replacement, considering you want an automatic. The Rapid AT is not DSG so would not be as good. I know a person who drives the Vento DSG and there has not been any failure. There is always a worry with it though...
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 19:53   #59
BHPian

I've voted for the Honda City AT.
I am assuming that you'll be using a diesel since your daily driver is 60km+ and you are not chauffeur driven.
(Since your ownership period is going to be around 5 years, you wouldn't have to worry about the NGT policies)

The City is a good package, though it's nothing compared to it's predecessors.
The CVT and Honda steering, your two points of contact with the vehicle make it extremely pleasing to drive for a long treacherous drive. Plus, the CVT shall yield maximum benefit. Also, since you plan to own the car for 5 years, it's resale value shall be the pretty high compared to the competition.

The Verna's engine is a hoot to drive, with the generous power in the right range. Though steering engagement may sour your drive (Atleast, I don't feel very comfortable with the Hyundai's feedback in my friends' Creta/Verna Diesel and my own Grand i10.)

Last edited by sharktale : 21st November 2018 at 19:55.
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 20:58   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post

1. Honda City AT
2. Maruti Suzuki Ciaz AT
3. Hyundai Verna AT
4. Toyota Yaris AT
5. Volksvagen Vento AT
6. Skoda Rapid AT
7. Ford Ecosport AT
8. Ford Aspire AT (as suggested by a friend)

So guys after going through the requirement which of the above do you consider as the best suited vehicle and worthy replacement to the Cruze while keeping a budget of uotp 15 lakh OTR in mind.
I did not vote because none of them are worthy replacement to Cruze. Cruze is a standard sedan, all of the above are compact/sub compact. If you can stretch a little over, a genuine replacement would be the likes of Jetta, Corolla and Octavia, at least Elantra.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 21st November 2018 at 21:18.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks