Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 20:37   #16
BHPian

You have tasted blood my friend with your Honda. Nothing in this segment will satisfy your inner self. Reach a segment above. You will have all you desire in abundance. Be it buttery sedans like corolla altis and elantra or c- suvs like seltos, creta, hector and harrier.
Old 28th August 2019, 21:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: In search of a new car with a 8-12 lakh budget - What can replace a 3rd gen Honda City?

The City has been a great all rounder: performance, comfort, refinement, mileage and handling. It's difficult to replace a City with anything else. Even with a slew of new launches the City remains firmly entrenched as the car to buy. There have been some new 1.5 L NA (maruti) petrol but nothing comes close to the high revving iVTEC despite it's age it just shines and never ceases to amaze . The Venue is a downgrade from the City. Is your City a manual or CVT? I have a feeling the new City may be priced high in keeping with it's premium image, hybrid power train and probably may be launched with a 1.5 turbo petrol: remains to be seen.
Old 28th August 2019, 21:29   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

If I had to replace my car today, then except for Hyundai Venue

Why the venue?

The venue is a massive downgrade from the City.

Heck, the venue looked like a downgrade to me and my cousin from our existing so called premium hatchbacks (we drive a polo and a i20 respectively)
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 08:22   #19
BHPian

Re: In search of a new car with a 8-12 lakh budget - What can replace a 3rd gen Honda City?

Hi,
me too on similar boat. I own 2010 Safari and looking to replace. I would suggest you to wait till clarity about BS Vi emerges. then move up a segment.

I am actually forced to change my SUV NOW. I am thinking about Altis :-)
drove Verna, Elantra, City. Will end up choosing between Altis or City.

I didnt drive Civic as official review pointed about low back pain and poor lumbar support

PS:

I am looking at used cars also for Civic/ Altis. But cant find any in used market also

Last edited by druva : 29th August 2019 at 08:25.
Old 29th August 2019, 17:53   #20
BHPian

Any vehicle bought before April 2020 will continue to run for the allotted time on registration ie 15 years. After April 2020, registration of vehicles that are not BSVI will not be renewed.
Source- The Times of India. Read today
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
Any vehicle bought before April 2020 will continue to run for the allotted time on registration ie 15 years. After April 2020, registration of vehicles that are not BSVI will not be renewed.
Source- The Times of India. Read today
Is this applicable onlyto the metros? Anyone who has bought BS4 vehicle would probably be forced to hold on to their cars for longer since they cannot be registered elsewhere.
Old 4th September 2019, 21:46   #22
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply. Wasn't online for a few days. Previously govt was planning a blanket ban on all vehicles that are not bsvi after April 2020. But then with the plight of the owners who are already owning vehicles or those who have recently bought one. Also keeping in mind the existing stocks of manufacturers, the ministry has quoted that this would be done in a stepwise manner. The new rule after revision states that existing vehicles will continue to run for the life of their registration which is 15 years. One can sell these vehicles as long as they are within this period. But they will be road legal only for 15 years. After which, whatever their condition, they are not worthy of being driven. Any vehicles caught violating this will be impounded straightaway.

A new policy for disposal and scrapping of vehicles on the pattern of developed countries is being construed.

Thirdly as a prequel to this policy, the 15 year limit for petrol vehicles and 10 year limit for diesel vehicles is already implemented in the metros as we are all aware of.

Next, post April 2020 govt is in talks with the manufacturers that all their products should be bsvi. Also vehicles with Diesel engines smaller than 1.5 litres will not be allowed to be produced. A reason for Maruti to develop its own 1.5 Diesel engine anew. However this is still in the process of formulation and the final decision is yet to be made.

So this is what I know after my extensive research. I regret not taking a pic of the newspaper article for the benefit of all readers. Even I am in a dilemma because I own a 2007 model santro. It has done only 50k on the Odo and is in excellent condition but I plan to hold on to it and see what's in store for us come April 2020. I do not want to sell it because the next user will have only 3 more years in the vehicle. And I am not disposing and buying a new one in wait for the rules to finally come and see how things settle out. Hope this helps. And please also let me know if you come across some important information. Cheers.
Old 27th September 2019, 14:13   #23
BHPian

This is the right time for an upgrade if you are fine with BS4 engine as there are discounts across manufacturers and segments. With the budget of 15L and requirement of Petrol, you can look at Altis and Elantra. It would be an upgrade from your City and with the discounts going on currently, you can squeeze out these within 15-16 L. If you decide to go for BS6 vehicles and wait for next year then consider price hike of around 10% on BS6 vehicles over the BS4 ones. Just my 2 cents.
Old 28th September 2019, 09:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The City has been a great all rounder: performance, comfort, refinement, mileage and handling. It's difficult to replace a City with anything else. Even with a slew of new launches the City remains firmly entrenched as the car to buy. There have been some new 1.5 L NA (maruti) petrol but nothing comes close to the high revving iVTEC despite it's age it just shines and never ceases to amaze .
I don't think Honda City with the higher pricing is a good all rounder anymore. The interior plastic quality and material is disappointing. The built quality also is quite flimsy for a 12-17 lakhs priced sedan. Ivtec is great only post 4500 rpm which is difficult to reach in India with practicality.
It only carries it's past legacy and Honda has taken it for granted. Good things are the continuous updates it gets, design, resale value and the status quo.

I would any day prefer the Vento TSI over the City ivtec. It is better to drive and also cheaper than top end City CVT Petrol. With 7 years warranty, the DSG reliability should also not be of any issue. Better built and gear box. In all departments Vento TSI outshines the city but in looks (but that again is subjective) Maintenance costs is also on par. Resale value is lower but makes up with the pleasure of driving it for years.
Old 24th October 2019, 22:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Lately, I have developed liking for Kia Seltos!

Shown the car pics to my father, he is liking it as well. Though I am not a much fan of having high end features, HTK+ petrol variant appears to be loaded with quite a few Gizmos. HTK petrol variant is also under consideration.

But my initial interaction experience with Kia dealership has not been good. I called up newly opened Kia showroom in Wazirpur and Peeragarhi, Delhi to inquire about the waiting period and the receptionist noted down my number and told that a salesperson will call me back. It's been 3-4 days but I have not received any call!

Awaiting for 5th Gen City unveil next month in Thailand. Will be in a better position to make a decision. I will also plan to visit Kia showroom somewhere around next month to have a look at the car in person along with a test drive.
Feels like I am cheating on my City.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 19:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

5th gen City has been unveiled. Now I have to choose from Kia Seltos and 5th Gen City; though both the cars belong to a different body style, I have to make a choice.

I was expecting 5th Gen City to be as modern as the 3rd Gen was in 2009, but here this is not the case. Kia Seltos on other hand has more of a next generation design.

My primary concern - since we keep cars for 10 years, I would not want to own a car that will look outdated after 6-7 years and here my 3rd gen City is a clear winner. I can still drive it around for 2-3 more years without having a feeling of driving an outdated looking car.

Reliability wise Honda has a unbreakable trust while Kia has just entered in India but it's global feedback is good in terms of reliability.

It is also a concern when 5th gen City will actually be introduced in India, most reports are mentioning launch only in Q2 of 2020 which is bit late. The primary user of the new car will be my parents and it will be a petrol powered car only. We would not want to delay the purchase post April 2020.

Help me decide between Kia Seltos and 5th Gen Honda City
Old 26th November 2019, 19:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
5th gen City has been unveiled. Now I have to choose from Kia Seltos and 5th Gen City; though both the cars belong to a different body style, I have to make a choice.

I was expecting 5th Gen City to be as modern as the 3rd Gen was in 2009, but here this is not the case. Kia Seltos on other hand has more of a next generation design.

It is also a concern when 5th gen City will actually be introduced in India, most reports are mentioning launch only in Q2 of 2020 which is bit late. The primary user of the new car will be my parents and it will be a petrol powered car only. We would not want to delay the purchase post April 2020.

I think you should buy the Kia Seltos. The primary reason behind this suggestion is the fact that it will be used by your parents and the City is a low-slung car. Sitting inside and coming out from the Seltos will be so much less stressful than the City. Also, I assume that overall visibility all around will be better in the Seltos. The last reason to support my suggestion is the advantage that you will get in terms of higher ground clearance. It is always better to have a high ground clearance because we can never be sure where we would need to take our car on any random day. Although personally I prefer sedans over SUVs, I think these compact/pseudo SUVs are a lot more practical and easy to live with.
Old 26th November 2019, 21:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
It is also a concern when 5th gen City will actually be introduced in India, most reports are mentioning launch only in Q2 of 2020 which is bit late.
I'm quite sure that next gen City will be launched before April 2020 as BS IV vehicles can't be sold from April 2020 and Honda would surely launched the new city with BS VI engines before that.

If you like Gizmos and new-age features then go with Seltos, if you prefer driving a solid trouble-free sedan with a good to drive ivtec engine then go with City.
Old 26th November 2019, 21:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
I'm quite sure that next gen City will be launched before April 2020 as BS IV vehicles can't be sold from April 2020 and Honda would surely launched the new city with BS VI engines before that.

If you like Gizmos and new-age features then go with Seltos, if you prefer driving a solid trouble-free sedan with a good to drive ivtec engine then go with City.
Solid Built? It is not like those previous generation City. The metal sheet is thinner and light built. Fit and finish too is way average and probability of rattles are high.

If there is any sedan which can be said as Solidly built it has to be Vento/Rapid.
Old 26th November 2019, 21:58   #30
BHPian

Hi

Venue and City represents two different segments completely! So I deduce you are open for both-sedan and a compact hatchback though the fuel type you have restricted to petrol only.

Right now we in buyer's market with discounts raining!

Given your budget you can consider following in sedan segment :

1. Rapid- if you are not averse to the idea of owning a Skoda this is the time to lay your hands on one! Rapid is being sold with mouthwatering discount.

2. Already a Honda fan- why not new civic! They are offering lucrative discount.

3. You may wish to graduate from city to Altis- joy of owning a hassle-free Japanese machine!

4. And of course the jewel in the crown- New - gen Honda City no sooner than it hits the road!

But if you are okay with the Venue why not

1. An ecosport with 1.5 dragon petrol beast!
2. All weather performer Duster with a good bargain!
3. An upcoming hybrid Brezza!

Last edited by PAkshay : 26th November 2019 at 22:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks