View Poll Results: Which one?
Octavia 112 20.74%
Superb 428 79.26%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2021, 11:31   #61
BHPian

Re: Same Price | Skoda Octavia L&K vs Skoda Superb Sportline

I am going to buy a LP shirt(for a interview) with a budget of 3k and I see a discounted sale of LP blazer for 3k. It is certainly VFM but I know I cannot wear only a blazer for the interview without a shirt beneath but I can wear a Shirt without a blazer above.

If the question is at 34Lakhs which is bang for the buck it is superb. If we are really going to buy a city driven modern sedan with that budget certainly Octavia is better(Turning radius of 5.1 meter to 5.5 meter). The foot print would be lower, Spares and Service would be lower, Insurance would be lower, Repair cost would be lower. If I buy a superb my better half would never consider driving it and I would end up chauffeuring the family forever.

Cross shopping can happen in Tier 3 places due to better parking space and less congested roads.

Last edited by aadya : 21st June 2021 at 11:36.
aadya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 11:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

Presuming this is not going to be the only car in the house, voted for Superb especially since the back seat will be used frequently.

If it would have been the case like me where its just me and my wife, Octavia would have made more sense.
Old 21st June 2021, 12:27   #63
BHPian

I would wait for the price gap to be 3-4L and then select the Octavia. Its the perfect size for India and is an all new model.
The Superb is a fantastic car, but might get too cumbersome to drive in traffic and is slightly less fun than the more sprightly Octavia. The only major feature miss on the smaller sibling vs the Superb Sportline is the sunroof.
thechinmay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 13:52   #64
BHPian

Voted for the Superb at the current prices. If the Octavia were 3-4L cheaper, that would be a better choice for me.
Old 21st June 2021, 14:22   #65
BHPian

Voted for the Skoda Superb as the prices are the same right now. I got a chance to sit in the new Octavia just a few days after the launch. The space on offer inside was nowhere near what the Superb has. As all the seats are going to be used as per the requirement, buying the Superb albeit in a lower version would be a good decision.
Old 21st June 2021, 14:23   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
At the same price, I would always pick the Superb. Why? It is a bigger and better car, and even if the trim concerned lacks some features like the 12 speaker sound system, what you get as an extra is in my view worth far more. Start with rear seat legroom. Even if 90% of my driving is (or was pre pandemic) solo, the time you really use a car is when you go out with family. And with a family of 5 (including my in laws and my son who is now 5’9”), rear seat knee room is at a premium. While I have not seen the new Octavia, I presume the Superb will still have a little extra width as well. Then add the panoramic sun roof.

T
And then it comes down to the umbrella . Like our dear friend Yeti in his review of the superb mentioned in his post
Old 21st June 2021, 14:39   #67
Senior - BHPian

Slightly different opinion:
  • 1st Choice - Audi A4. I know it is not among your choices, but same <everything> witth great badge value. You can get a new one for under 40 lakhs!
  • 2nd Choice - Superb. You love the car anyway. It's terrific VFM clearly.
  • 3rd Choice - Octavia, after 4-5 months. Given the price proximity, the discounts will inevitably kick in, making it better value then.
  • Wildcard - BMW 3 GL. Everything you are asking for, and then some more. Great driver's car, despite being slightly longer. Is pricey, and way over your specified budget...but, worth the stretch IMHO!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 21st June 2021 at 14:43.
Old 21st June 2021, 16:01   #68
BHPian

Easy decision I think. SUPERB.

Why?

Here's why-

1. Bigger, roomier, more premium.
2. Handling is not a long way off from the Octavia. Octavia will be better, yes. But by how much? Won't you appreciate the better ride over the long term and in the city?
3. Gizmos. Superb wins easily.
4. Presence. Superb wins easily.
5. Power-to-weight/Acceleration. Octavia wins. BUT! Can you tell the difference on a regular commute? How many 0-100 dashes are you doing on a regular commute?
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 20:50   #69

My vote goes for the Octavia. Here are my reasons:

1. The Octavia has many more features which would be used on a regular basis (ventilated seats etc). The Superb misses out on all these in this variant. Even though the superb is a larger car with more space, I don't think the difference in space makes a big difference in the comfort levels (the Octavia itself is a very spacious car)

2. Since it's driven by the owners, the octavia is a much more engaging car to drive. The superb is too large to park in the city.

3. The Octavia is a newer car, so it has longer support, better availbility of spares in the long run.

4. Final reason, the Octavia looks much better than the Superb in my opinion :P
Old 21st June 2021, 22:06   #70

I would prefer the Superb for so many reasons which everyone has chimed in for. Personally, I would have stretched a little and gone for the Superb L&K. The cars today are so modern, I don't think Superb would feel lacking in any sense in the next few years even though it is not as recent a launch as Octavia.

And as a wise man once said for the Superb after looking at the umbrella's it offers, "Paisa Wasool!"
Old 22nd June 2021, 01:17   #71
Team-BHP Support

I voted for the Superb but did not see the poll results before voting. After voting I was surprised to see the Superb being so far ahead.

I had to think over this a lot as both cars cater to different needs and in the need it depends on need.

The Octavia is a newer gen. Will feel more modern through the ownership especially if use case is self drive. Again being self drive, the smaller dimensions make it easier to drive in town and more agile on the open road. It's a very good balance. The L&K comes loaded with the Canton audio which makes a huge difference vs the normal audio unit thanks to the DSP/Amp and subwoofer as well as centre channel speaker. The only drawback in the Octavia package is the price and that too only because of the Superb.

The Superb on the other hand is older gen, will get replaced in 2 years. When driving you know the dash is older design and everything feels more mature. If you are chauffeur driven, the Superb is the default choice. If you self drive more, the Superb is nowhere near as agile as Octavia and not as easy to drive around in narrow city streets.

However the Superb makes you feel more special, with it's size, its interior space and if you're like me; a sucker for black interiors, the Sportline will entice you a lot more.

In the end I did pick the Superb but only because I am 6 feet tall and passengers need space behind me as well as I need space when seated at the back. Plus the Superb is all black interiors and in general offers more car for the price. Also with the Octy being a little softer and more grown up it comes closer to the Superb than before.

The Octavia is now the only sub 40L sedan for someone who wants something enthusiast but from our review, I feel it has lost some of it in the new gen and Skoda have softened it down for more appeal to masses. This is counter intuitive and as a result we see people cross shopping. The older gen Octy was more driver focussed and was a clear choice for the self driven folks but not the Octy has matured and has come closer to the Superb both in terms of price and character causing this overlap.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd June 2021 at 01:19.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:23   #72
BHPian

Ps : I have a Superb which I bought in Dec 2020 and the key concern I had was what if Octavia comes out to be better and I regret buying Superb. I am a happy man right now and I am glad I bought Superb.

IMO, the decision would come down to the following :-
1. Sunroof
2. Canton System
3. Beige vs Black Interiors
4. Space
5. Preferred looks

In all other factors/features both these cars are more similar than dissimilar. Moreover, if someone buys an octavia now he/she would have to be ready for the fact that the same car would be couple of lakhs cheaper in few months
Zodak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 15:26   #73
BHPian

Voted for the Superb.
I like the big car feel of the Superb, and it doesn't feel like a big car when you drive. My wife just hates long cars but has no problem driving the Superb around Bangalore.
Plus the Superb is a whole segment higher, has a great back seat comfort and driving dynamics are a lot like Octavia.
Old 15th July 2021, 17:30   #74
BHPian

In the past couple of days, I had the opportunity to test drive both New Octavia and Superb Sportline and here is my view.
  • Skoda Octavia L&K- Before checking out the car, I had the perception of this being a really over priced car and I went to the showroom with that notion. In person the car does appear attractive and premium both exterior and interior. Drive was pretty engaging and enjoyable for me. For someone who has not experienced previous variant Octavia, I may not understand what I was missing over the earlier variants that other owners have expressed.
    To me, for all the latest tech, premium fit finish, completely new generation (not facelift) and looking at how the entire automobile industry has increased its pricing over the last 6months (either for basic facelifts, to absolute zero updates, to removing feature sets), this pricing somehow seems justifiable now (purely on it's own merits).
  • Skoda Superb Sportline- Other than color options there's not much difference between Superb L&K and Sportline variant, so the exterior is as premium as you can get. As you enter the cabin, you immediately realize you are in a next segment car. While the materials of Octavia are good, Superb Sportline definitely feels of next level. I wasn't very much sure of the black interiors, but I should say I was impressed. There is no surprise about the space and comfort that Superb offers irrespective of variant and other than some missing features sets like- Virtual boot opening, Canton speakers you actually do not miss much on the Superb Sportline variant when compared to Octavia. For sunroof fans, the Sportline does have one which the Octavia misses upon.
    One key difference that I observed between driving a Superb and Octavia- On Superb, my natural instinct was to comfortably rest my left hand on the armrest and steer with right, while on Octavia, my natural instinct was having both hands all the while on the steering wheel. Somehow, Octavia did feel slightly more dynamic and fun to drive.

Finally, if I get same price offer for Skoda Octavia L&K and Superb Sportline, I would blindly pick Superb over it as many have already suggested earlier in the forum. While Octavia did justify it's price to me, Superb Sportline offers far more bang for your buck, and clearly comes across as a product from next segment.

It does seem like Skoda seems to be happily allowing cannibalism of it's own products with Octavia's pricing and offering discount on Superb. I understood from dealer that they made good sales on Sportline last month since Octavia's price announcement, while acknowledging there hasn't been much bookings for Octavia.
cloudno19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 22:00   #75
BHPian

Folks, I have been going through this thread and all other Superb/ Octavia threads. It was quite a bit of dilemma as to which one to go for! - and after weeks of reading and watching tonnes of reviews, I finally got home the Skoda Superb Sportline today!

A looonnnggg car! It kept me thinking, will it be easy to go through the regular Bengaluru roads! Driving it feels like a small car - such an ease! Thank you BHPians for all the valuable feedback!

Same Price | Skoda Octavia L&K vs Skoda Superb Sportline-ss.jpg

Absolute beauty!
dsinz is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks