Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 12:32   #76
BHPian

Tall guy wants to upgrade.

Hi all,

I've read t-BHP since I joined though not posted much as I don't drive much. However, I need some sage advice now.

I'm 6'1"+ tall and now weigh 90 kgs (trying to lose but its a hard task). My fitness levels are moderate. I'm based in Hyderabad now.

Current car and driving experience
Learnt driving on M800. Ok for short drives but not comfortable over long ones.
I've driven the Wagon R off and on for last ten years - car has only 53000 on the ODO.
Drove a second hand corolla in the US for one year. It gave me back pain.
I've also driven my father's swift dzire on road trips for 1000+ kms (the other 1000 of the same trip being driven by my father).

Reason for upgrade - My car is now 10 years old and though it has only 53000 kms clocked, I feel I should get a new one.

Requirement - I need a petrol car (due to low driving distances and the noise and vibration from diesel engine). I need comfortable seating due to my height and some back-pain that I've had off and on. My monthly average drive is < 1000 kms. My budget is 10 lac (on road). Car should seat 5 people (I'm still on my own but parents plus any future family is always in mind).

I've test driven the following so far -

1. Renault duster - didn't like the diesel engine. Showroom guys don't have petrol car for test drive.
2. Ford Eco sport - good car but a bit sceptical about costs (maintenance, etc.).
3. Honda amaze - didn't like the seating or the build. Good dealer experience but not convinced on the car.
4. Mahindra Scorpio - It's a different league altogether. Way above mine . also it's diesel
5. Suzuki Ciaz - frankly, most impressed by this car so far. It wasn't even in the contention, but I liked it a lot. Very balanced.

Yet to drive and will test - Honda city i-VTEC. Volkswagen Vento and Nissan Sunny. Due to bad feedback on the dealership here in Hyderabad am avoiding Skoda rapid.

Any thoughts / opinions / suggestions on what else to test drive or consider?

Vaibhav

Last edited by vaibhav_a_a : 17th March 2015 at 12:36.
Old 17th March 2015, 13:03   #77
BHPian

You need to test drive all your options to check your seating comfort and driving position. If you're used to the Wagon R style higher seating, wait for the Renault lodgy.

Being a tall driver myself, it was difficult to find something ergonomic. I settled on the Fiat linea . Most sedans with adjustable front seat height/adjustable steering should be okay. But you'd have to sit and decide.

In some cars if you adjust the seat height down, you'd end up in a knees up position which may be uncomfortable coming from a wagon R.

In fact I know a guy who has been buying a new Wagon R every three years to replace the older car. Hes going to soon buy a 4 th one !

Last edited by drsingh : 17th March 2015 at 13:25.
Old 17th March 2015, 13:16   #78
BHPian

Re: Tall guy wants to upgrade.

This thread might help you. I suggest you to consider Ertiga too as it perfectly fits your budget and requirements.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 17th March 2015 at 13:19.
Old 17th March 2015, 13:58   #79
BHPian

Take a look at this thread as well:
LINK

I suggest you stay away from the Honda City as I have come across complaints of back pain caused by the excessive softness of the seats.

Incase you drive primarily in the city(which I assume you do,given your monthly running), the Ecosport may not work either as the turbo lag of the Ecoboost may be an irritant in slow moving traffic.

You liked the Ciaz the most? If you don't find it unduly large for your requirements, it seems to suit your needs well. If you drive your parents around often, make sure the poor under thigh support of the rear seat is not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
You need to test drive all your options to check your seating comfort and driving position. If you're used to the Wagon R style higher seating, wait for the Renault lodgy.
The Lodgy won't come in petrol guise, will it?

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th March 2015 at 19:18. Reason: Fixing link ;)
Old 17th March 2015, 14:06   #80
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2015 at 15:00.
Ashir is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th March 2015, 14:18   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_a_a View Post
I'm 6'1"+ tall and now weigh 90 kgs (trying to lose but its a hard task). My fitness levels are moderate. I'm based in Hyderabad now.

Requirement - I need a petrol car (due to low driving distances and the noise and vibration from diesel engine). I need comfortable seating due to my height and some back-pain that I've had off and on. My monthly average drive is < 1000 kms. My budget is 10 lac (on road). Car should seat 5 people (I'm still on my own but parents plus any future family is always in mind).

I've test driven the following so far -

1. Renault duster - didn't like the diesel engine. Showroom guys don't have petrol car for test drive.
2. Ford Eco sport - good car but a bit sceptical about costs (maintenance, etc.).
3. Honda amaze - didn't like the seating or the build. Good dealer experience but not convinced on the car.
4. Mahindra Scorpio - It's a different league altogether. Way above mine . also it's diesel
5. Suzuki Ciaz - frankly, most impressed by this car so far. It wasn't even in the contention, but I liked it a lot. Very balanced.

Yet to drive and will test - Honda city i-VTEC. Volkswagen Vento and Nissan Sunny. Due to bad feedback on the dealership here in Hyderabad am avoiding Skoda rapid.

Any thoughts / opinions / suggestions on what else to test drive or consider?

Vaibhav
Hi Vaibhav,

Am an equally tall, and similar built guy as you, with the odd back pain as well.
Personally, I found cars like the Honda City, Sunny, Verna to be a little bit of an issue given that the seats are a little lower. My father of similar build absolutely hates these cars as getting in and out is a pain for him even though he rarely uses it.
I haven't driven the Ciaz as yet, so no comments.
In the case of the Linea - the ergonomics were a bit of a mess and I was just not as comfortable behind the wheel - had a couple of incidents where my foot slipped off the accelerator etc.

In fact, some of the cars I really liked are as follows:
- Ford Fiesta: The drivers seat is snug, and offers fantastic support, and travel range. It is diesel only, but very little filters into the cabin. Also, the car offers the best dynamics, and a very frugal engine with minimal turbo-lag. Honestly I have fallen in love with the car everytime I drive one! In the past we have owned two Ikons, and one Fiesta (now Classic) and no serious issues on maintenance or service.
- Skoda Rapid / VW Vento: Service aside, the cars seats are actually very comfortable. The steering is a touch too large, so one will have to play around with the adjustments, but once you have found a comfy position, you will love the experience. The fiesta is still better sorted in terms of dynamics, and engines (unless you buy the TSi Automatic). Maintenance could be an issue depending on variant (I am not too keen on the DSG in the TSi).
- Toyota Etios: Yes - you will have to compromise on the looks - inside and outside. However, once you do, you will realize the engine is a gem, space and support is excellent, and the car is quite tough and abuse friendly. Plus by virtue of being a Toyota, maintenance and reliability wouldn't be a big concern. The top end with the flat bottom steering is the one to go for.

Would recommend checking these out before you take a call.
PS: IIRC VW is known for more notorious service than Skoda, but for all brands do check out the local service reviews - you can get in touch with other owners from Hyderabad on this forum, or look up various threads on the same.

Last edited by lamborghini : 17th March 2015 at 14:20.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 16:02   #82
BHPian

Re: Car for Super Tall Men

Lamborghini - thanks! Super post.

I've been trying to convinced the local VW dealer to give me a test drive for about a week now, no luck. Very surprised with the experience.

Will try again with VW, Skoda and Toyota as well.

Might try Fiesta - hadn't thought about it due to aged model and consequently resale value (though I don't buy from resale point of view- have driven my Wagon R for so long).
vaibhav_a_a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 16:06   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

It was rather an easy one for me to pick the Ertiga after clocking 2+ Lacs on the WagonR.

I'm 6'3" and have always loved taller seating along with the fact that there must be enough room over my head that my hair shouldn't brush with the sun visor or the roof.

Ertiga was never a let down in this department when it came to head, shoulder and leg room. Not to forget the fact that I used to Walk-in into the WagonR and I continue doing the same with the Ertiga too!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 16:18   #84
BHPian

There seems to be a bit of confusion rgarding seating comfort and height/build. The two are not necessarily linked. Any of the C segment cars will give you adequate space to strech your legs, so I wouldn't worry much about height/build factor if I were you given your budget(well actually I am, 6.1 and 92 kg).

I have driven the city extensively for 200 plus km trips over the years, and it indeed is a bit problematic causing mild back pain after spending a couple of hours. Anything around 100km or 2-3 hours is fine. And space is more than acceptable, both front and back.

Would suggest you figure out how extensively you would be having long trips. For small trips, test drives would anyway be sufficient.

Of course tall seating is always more comfortable(for example, I find the Safari more comfortable for long drives), but my humble suggestion would be to not have seating comfort as your primary reason for chosing a vehicle (circumstances permitting). All modern day vehicles are adequate in this aspect with some suiting an individual more that's all.
Old 17th March 2015, 16:20   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It was rather an easy one for me to pick the Ertiga after clocking 2+ Lacs on the WagonR.

I'm 6'3" and have always loved taller seating along with the fact that there must be enough room over my head that my hair shouldn't brush with the sun visor or the roof.

Ertiga was never a let down in this department when it came to head, shoulder and leg room. Not to forget the fact that I used to Walk-in into the WagonR and I continue doing the same with the Ertiga too!
For me, a 6'3" tall person i find Ertiga seating in first and second row comfortable. I find the front seats on Maruti Suzuki cars, Swift onwards really comfortable. I guess the seat design for front seat is same in Ertiga.

I just got a chance to compare the seats of Dzire vs Amaze, ignore the space but when it comes to seat comfort there is no comparison, the Dzire is superior in front as well as rear seats.

Then there are cars where i am constantly adjusting the seats, and i never get it right- Duster, Punto, Linea, Scorpio(old)..

Some others i find spot on- Almost all German cars, Swift family, Innova, XUV-500, Storme...
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 16:48   #86
BHPian

I am rather surprised fellow members here find Vento to be comfortable for tall men.

I am 6'3 and all the time my leg keeps colliding with the center console jutting out. This makes the space quite uncomfortable for me. This issue is not there in cars such as Swift or for that matter Polo.
Old 18th March 2015, 18:34   #87
BHPian

Hi there
Issue does exist in the Polo. Mentioned in the review too.
Am 5'11 and did face this problem with the manual Polo. Adjusted the seat to ensure least troubles to the knee. With the Polo TSI no problem as no play with the left leg.
Old 18th March 2015, 22:32   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post
I suggest you stay away from the Honda City as I have come across complaints of back pain caused by the excessive softness of the seats.
Given that I dont really listen to anyone - I ended up test driving it and that confirmed the point you made. I test drove it 20+ kms and could feel the discomfort - every single bump just comes through to you! My back was complaining - and I had adjusted the seat to the highest possible point. Very refined car though and the cruise control is so smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I am rather surprised fellow members here find Vento to be comfortable for tall men.

I am 6'3 and all the time my leg keeps colliding with the center console jutting out. This makes the space quite uncomfortable for me. This issue is not there in cars such as Swift or for that matter Polo.
I tried the vento today and had the exact same experience. It was like sitting in a box. I found the arm rest to be a bit oddly designed as well. I think its a great car though but for someone shorter.

p.s. To all those who suggested the Ertiga - I will test drive it. After all, Wagon R drivers aren't concerned about external appearance.

Last edited by Eddy : 19th March 2015 at 10:44. Reason: Extra smiliey
Old 19th March 2015, 14:26   #89
BHPian

I am 6'-4" and have owned wagon r as well as Ertiga. There is enough space all around that you don't feel cramped. Frankly speaking, these are the only two options available excluding the SUVs.
Old 19th March 2015, 17:25   #90
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_a_a View Post

I would recommend you to stay away from the Renault Duster petrol as it will have very bad resale value later. Also, nobody really has reviewed it, but seeing the ARAI rated FE(13.xx kmpl), it's not worth it.
Quote:
It's not a car that can seat 5 comfortably.

Quote:
It's a terrific car and I've sat in one and been comfortable. (I'm 6') Don't let the power figures really change your opinion, it has enough fot 90% of the people out there.

Also, I would recommend you to Check Honda city, Hyundai Verna, Marui Ertiga. The Honda city especially has a terrific petrol engine.

It's sad that there is no Fiesta ecoboost. :(

I'm not too sure I would buy the Vento/Sunny petrol simply because nobody has praised them. (It's a different story with the diesels )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks