Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 15:07   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
rrnsss. i beg to differ. in my innova even comfortably driving the seat isnt back fully. even if its almost back there is enough space in the middle row for a normal or a slightly tall person to sit. im almost 6"4" btw.

Sir, I stand corrected. I have no knowledge about Innova.
Old 17th January 2008, 15:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

I second what ravibhat has said. Pls look into both the vehicles Innova and Dicor, take TD and then decide.
Old 17th January 2008, 15:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
. In the sedans, the best seats are in the optra. .

I agree with this whole heartedly, you can still feel daisy fresh after a very long drive in an optra......
Old 17th January 2008, 15:52   #19
BHPian

What about us six-footers who can't afford to spend more than 5 lakhs? Besides I'd find the Safari and Innova too big to drive comfortably in Bombay. Back pain's not such a big problem but sitting in the old Zen is a cramped experience for me. :( It's the low seating that's a problem more than anything else. Maybe the Wagon R is worth a look?
Old 17th January 2008, 16:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
What about us six-footers who can't afford to spend more than 5 lakhs? Besides I'd find the Safari and Innova too big to drive comfortably in Bombay. Back pain's not such a big problem but sitting in the old Zen is a cramped experience for me. :( It's the low seating that's a problem more than anything else. Maybe the Wagon R is worth a look?
The Wagon R and the Swift are options. Between the two Wagon R is more comfortable but Swift is more fun. Stay away from the Santro. Getz might or might not be ok - depends on your driving posture. Personally, I found it a tad uncomfortable so decided to stay away. Same with the Spark (knee hits steering) and i10. In the i10 I had a rather unique problem - the fixed headrest in the front seats hits my neck

Other options in that price segment might be the Indica and Palio. I haven't tried either but have been told that they're comfortable for tall people to drive

BTW, I'm 6' tall
Old 17th January 2008, 17:06   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

@gentlegiant. Sanjeev, welcome to tbhp

Folks, i discussed with sanjeev his requirement and SUV/MUV are out of his consideration as parking and driving a behemoth is something he would stay away from.

I think he took a TD of SX4 and didn't quite like it. So, i guess the only few cars left are a NHC, Cedia and Optra Magnum ( petrol) though the last two will go slightly over the budget.
Old 17th January 2008, 17:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
For your requirements, i would suggest you the NHC, its a fantastic car and fits your requirement to a T, also the headroom is very good and you should not have issues with your back at all. The car is very comfortable, however power for the highways is just adequate, strech to the Vtec variant if possible.
Now that you have TD-ed the others, then as per BUSA, the only one you are left with is the NHC....

Maybe you should take a TD of the same and then decide
Old 17th January 2008, 17:23   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
check out the getz. its got enough of space. only the seats should have more support and the driving position a bit better.
Old 17th January 2008, 17:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
Stay away from the Santro. Getz might or might not be ok - depends on your driving posture. Personally, I found it a tad uncomfortable so decided to stay away.
I've seen this mentioned a couple of times. Quite strange, since I find the Santro pretty comfortable. The seats are upright and head room is there in plenty. I've driven long distances with absolutely no fatigue or back pain, which is saying a lot, since I have a severe back problem... have spinal fusion surgery lined up sometime this yr or the next :(
And I'm not that short either at 6'1".

The other cars that I have found very comfortable - NHC, Octavia and the Baleno.
Old 17th January 2008, 17:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
I've seen this mentioned a couple of times. Quite strange, since I find the Santro pretty comfortable. The seats are upright and head room is there in plenty.
I think it comes down to how you like to keep your legs while driving. I prefer to keep them straightened (say a 30 degree angle) and sit further back, which is not possible in the santro for tall people. If someone likes to keep their legs bent at a 60 degree angle (which might well be better for the back - I don't really know), the Santro would be very comfortable as the headroom is anyway good.

This also why I found the Getz Prime slightly uncomfortable - you cant push the seat far too far back, especially when you compare it to the Swift.
Old 17th January 2008, 18:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
ER,

WagonR is simply amazing for a tall person. It doesnt get the appreciation it deserves because, in India most people are sub 5'10" in height. Even my doctor (who I had to visit with a bad back) said WagonR is better than his own Honda City!!

You MUST go for it!!
Old 17th January 2008, 18:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
I think it comes down to how you like to keep your legs while driving. I prefer to keep them straightened (say a 30 degree angle) and sit further back, which is not possible in the santro for tall people. If someone likes to keep their legs bent at a 60 degree angle (which might well be better for the back - I don't really know), the Santro would be very comfortable as the headroom is anyway good.

This also why I found the Getz Prime slightly uncomfortable - you cant push the seat far too far back, especially when you compare it to the Swift.

Good point. I figured that the best way to sit for a person with a back issue/downright bad back would be for him to sit on a seat high enough so that his knees are either at the same level to his but or slightly lower. The backrest has to be as upright as possible.

With the Santro, the problem I had is that the curve that the seat has at the bottom presses into the lower back. This is dangerous.
Old 17th January 2008, 19:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi, even myself i am 6.4" and my brother is 6.3" and we have 2 cars, one is Omni(which u won't like it to drive) and second is Maruti Esteem Vxi(Indian answer to Mercedes).

We are really comfortable driving Maruti Exteem Vxi and still today we have done 90,000Kms and still using it.

Could be you don't like Maruti Esteem but do the TD and check it out u might like it according to mine and my brother's experience esteem really rocks forever.

We have ordered for Safari the answer for the other SUV worldwide for its luxury and spacious and for family drive(7-8members regularly).

Try the Indian Mercedes u might feel it is old, BUT TAKE MY WORDS OLD IS GOLD

Old 17th January 2008, 19:54   #29
BHPian

I was faced with the same dilemma when I was searching for a car. My budget was half of yours.

For that price, Indica fits the bill completely. Even when the seat is pushed all the way back, there is enough room.

I still dream of upgrading to a Safari one day
Old 17th January 2008, 20:01   #30
BHPian

Some other recommendations for you to consider:

1. I drive Ford Ikon Flair (i am 6'1"). Its quite good for me to drive, in terms of leg room, shoulder room etc. However i dont think 4 adults of 6ish tall will fit in the car (rear seat leg room will be compromised). Costs about 5.5laks OTR.
2. You can consider Ford Fusion. It got very good seating position and i find it very comfortable to drive. Its agile(1.6 petrol) and good for city and highway driving and you wont face much problem finding a parking place for this. But i dunno about the rear seat legroom for 4 adults. Will cost you about 6.5 Laks OTR for pertrol and 7.5 laks for Diesel.

3. This might sound little odd...you can look at Mahindra Bolero. It has got the creature comforts like power steering, power windows, AC etc. Good leg room. Driving in city is ok (infact will be much better...since no auto fellow dare to cross your path ;-)). IMO SLX 2WD will cost 6.9laks OTR.

I looked these 3 vehicles before finalizing on Ikon. Please give TD to them and decide.

Good Luck!
-Vaspro

Most Viewed