Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 01:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need a car within 15Lakhs On Road price

pre-owned c class petrol should fall in that budget. 320i should also fall in that budget.
Old 18th March 2013, 11:56   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Heard the VW service and parts are very expensive, any truth in this?
Service will be slightly more expensive than the Japs. Since VW recommends synthetic oil, a major part of cost of service is the oil. But the upside is that the service interval is long . Like in my Laura its once a year or every 15k kms. Typically a 'paid' service costs around Rs. 11k . Out of this about 4K will be oil.

I don't think the regular consumable spares like filters, brake pads etc... are so much more expensive than the Jap counterparts. But certain engine related and transmission related parts are relatively more expensive. If they need replacement post an accident, insurance will cover it. But if they need replacement due to part failure you will have to bear the cost if it happens outside warranty. The way I see it, cars like the Jetta TSI MT is a safe bet. There's no complex DSG box that can fail and the 1.4 TSI engine should be fairly reliable in the long run. Get all the extended warranties you can at the time of purchase. That'll keep you protected.

There's a thread on guidelines to follow while purchasing a Euro car. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...opean-car.html

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 18th March 2013 at 12:14.
Old 18th March 2013, 12:25   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies about the lack of details, posted it earlier form office and had hurried through it.
  • Looking for a new petrol vehicle, can be sedan or SUV but not hatchback.
  • Four people will be using the car on a regular basis.
  • Do you want back seat comfort? Yes
  • Do you want a good drivers car? No
  • Mostly used for city driving, but not the Bangalore kind.
  • Do you travel a lot and hence will a wide A$$ network be a necessity? No, it will be used only in Thrissur, Kerala.
  • Duster interiors were too lacking.
  • Liked the Elantra, but felt that there is'nt much space inside.
  • Do not like Honda Civic looks, and already own a City.
  • Loved the Corolla Altis, but Dad's afraid if the design will be outdated soon (since Toyota is launching too many 'editions')
  • Max OTR is 15 lac.
You mentioned a petrol vehicle but you're willing to considers SUVs; most SUVs are diesel vehicles.
I would have recommended the Corolla Altis petrol variant but if your dad's concerns are an issue IMO the choice is easy - the Mahindra XUV 500 (4x4 versions only).

- The best in the segment, or the only car in the segment which competes with other SUVs with twice the price. It compares with the Fortuner - and I don't think the Fortuner has an AWD version!
- Space won't be an issue
- You already own a City so go for an SUV.
- You live in Kerala, of all the places that's one place I'd buy an SUV. How good would it be travelling in those beaches and those tourist areas in your SUV? If you don't have the habit you'll get it once you buy the car.
- A bonus is that it's a diesel vehicle. It should currently save you money although it's not part of your requirements.

The 4x4 variant should come close to 15 lakhs on the road, I'm assuming that you'll manage to squeeze out some discounts.
dozer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 12:58   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Service will be slightly more expensive than the Japs. Since VW recommends synthetic oil, a major part of cost of service is the oil. But the upside is that the service interval is long . Like in my Laura its once a year or every 15k kms. Typically a 'paid' service costs around Rs. 11k . Out of this about 4K will be oil.

I don't think the regular consumable spares like filters, brake pads etc... are so much more expensive than the Jap counterparts. But certain engine related and transmission related parts are relatively more expensive. If they need replacement post an accident, insurance will cover it. But if they need replacement due to part failure you will have to bear the cost if it happens outside warranty. The way I see it, cars like the Jetta TSI MT is a safe bet. There's no complex DSG box that can fail and the 1.4 TSI engine should be fairly reliable in the long run. Get all the extended warranties you can at the time of purchase. That'll keep you protected.

There's a thread on guidelines to follow while purchasing a Euro car. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...opean-car.html
Thanks for the info.

As I remember, the 15k service for my old honda city was under 4,000 rupees.. and only the major service done every 3 years comes up to 11000 rupees. Don't know if the new Hondas' are more expensive though.
Old 19th March 2013, 13:01   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
You mentioned a petrol vehicle but you're willing to considers SUVs; most SUVs are diesel vehicles.
I would have recommended the Corolla Altis petrol variant but if your dad's concerns are an issue IMO the choice is easy - the Mahindra XUV 500 (4x4 versions only).

- The best in the segment, or the only car in the segment which competes with other SUVs with twice the price. It compares with the Fortuner - and I don't think the Fortuner has an AWD version!
- Space won't be an issue
- You already own a City so go for an SUV.
- You live in Kerala, of all the places that's one place I'd buy an SUV. How good would it be travelling in those beaches and those tourist areas in your SUV? If you don't have the habit you'll get it once you buy the car.
- A bonus is that it's a diesel vehicle. It should currently save you money although it's not part of your requirements.

The 4x4 variant should come close to 15 lakhs on the road, I'm assuming that you'll manage to squeeze out some discounts.
What's wrong with the FWD options?

Last edited by di1in : 19th March 2013 at 13:02. Reason: Back to back posts, where's the delete button?
Old 19th March 2013, 15:05   #51
BHPian

Quote:
What's wrong with the FWD options?
Well, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just that for your budget I'd recommend a 4WD.
The benefits of a 4x4 (superior traction and maneuverability) may not apply to you if you aren't looking to drive in those steep.slippery areas. But it gives you that option. I suppose Kerala's got quite a few of places where you can visit, you get that option.
If you're sure that's not your cup of tea (to be fair I'm sure that a large majority do not off-road at all) then a 4X2 should be sufficient. If fact it'll save you more fuel.
dozer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 15:28   #52
BHPian

Bumping this up as I have a similar query..

Looking for a petrol sedan that tops out at 15L OTR in Bangalore.

Currently own a City 3rd gen that I will be selling and looking to get the new one through a co. lease hence it needs to be a new car and not pre-owned.

Primarily used for weekend jaunts within B'lore and once a month or so hit the highway for trips to Chennai etc. Approx. 1000 kms a month hence a Petrol and needs to be a tourer of sorts.

Space not a concern. Back seats will mainly carry bags except for when family visits and I will be the only one driving it hence prefer a driver focused car that can accelerate cleanly and handles decently.

So the ones I have in mind are:
1. New 2014 Honda city (MT). Had a fuss free ownership experience the last 3+ years and liked the free revving Vtech engine. The new gen car has all the bells and whistles so all the better except for that "chrome mustache" in front.

2. VW Jetta 1.4 TSI - This can test my budgetary limits but am also waiting to see what the 2015 face lift brings. Yet to TD but reviews seem to be generally positive. Thought it is a D1 segment car vis-a-vis a City (C2 segment), the gap is awfully narrow as it has been highlighted elsewhere on this forum.

3. Polo GT / Fiat Punto Evo Abarth: Hot hatch territory but then I don't need space that much hence open to considering these as well. The Polo is an Automatic and am concerned about the reliability issues that is called out in the official reviews.

Not really considering the Vento or the Rapid as I think the City is better than these two. And not a big fan of Hyundai hence not considering the Verna.

Fiesta - Only if they had a Ecoboost petrol engine variant on the Fiesta, I would not have posted this only!!

Any other suggestions / thoughts?

Nimz
Old 21st January 2015, 16:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Fiesta - Only if they had a Ecoboost petrol engine variant on the Fiesta, I would not have posted this only!!
If you had driven the Ecosport with ecoboost, you wouldn't have even mentioned Fiesta in the list only

Although you don't need a diesel, why are you eliminating them from the list? You will get some nice diesels in your budget.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 16:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not really considering the Vento or the Rapid as I think the City is better than these two. And not a big fan of Hyundai hence not considering the Verna.
Hi Nimz! I dont think you should completely drop the Vento off your list. The 1.4TSi motor is a gem and any complaints about the DSG have reduced drastically. Quite a few POLO Tsi members on TBHP seem to be quite happy.

As mentioned by Jaguar also, the Ecosport Ecoboost variant is really good. My brother has bought one recently and he is extremely happy. Comes with good features and I hear the in-car audio is simply superb. Engine doesnt feel short of power either. I think you would save a bit from your 15L budget also.

Another consideration is a middle variant Toyota Corolla which is at 14,00,000 ex-showroom Bangalore. Good looking car but havent read much into it.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 16:32   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

Although you don't need a diesel, why are you eliminating them from the list? You will get some nice diesels in your budget.
Hey Jaguar, thanks for the suggestion. The reason am not looking at diesels are:
1. I like the clean, smooth acceleration of a petrol.. at least the diesels I have been in had a bit of a clatter and not really known for fast 0-100 kmph dash.
2. May not be taking the car out during the week and my petrol city never had an issue starting even after 3 weeks. A little concerned about a Diesel in that aspect.
3. Diesels being more expensive than their petrol variants, I figured I'd get more car for the buck..

But am open to ideas and if my concerns above are not the case with modern day diesels, I'd be happy to consider them

@Fullrevs - am more a "sedan / hatch" person and I was under the impression the Ecosport is not a great handler (like the Fiesta). But will consider. Thanks!

Last edited by Nimz : 21st January 2015 at 16:34.
Old 21st January 2015, 17:32   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

So the ones I have in mind are:
1. New 2014 Honda city (MT). Had a fuss free ownership experience the last 3+ years and liked the free revving Vtech engine. The new gen car has all the bells and whistles so all the better except for that "chrome mustache" in front.

2. VW Jetta 1.4 TSI - This can test my budgetary limits but am also waiting to see what the 2015 face lift brings. Yet to TD but reviews seem to be generally positive. Thought it is a D1 segment car vis-a-vis a City (C2 segment), the gap is awfully narrow as it has been highlighted elsewhere on this forum.

3. Polo GT / Fiat Punto Evo Abarth: Hot hatch territory but then I don't need space that much hence open to considering these as well. The Polo is an Automatic and am concerned about the reliability issues that is called out in the official reviews.

Any other suggestions / thoughts?

Nimz
How about the Corolla Altis? Although it would also stretch your budget. Within the list the choice would be the Jetta 1.4 TSI. The facelift should bring in more features also.

The City will not really feel like an upgrade. Would not recommend the hatches. Since you are used to a sedan and its space, you will feel cramped in the polo/punto (irrespective of using the back seat/boot etc...)
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 17:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nimz
There is another optional split grill available as an option, that looks very good.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 19:27   #58
BHPian

Quote:

Currently own a City 3rd gen that I will be selling and looking to get the new one through a co. lease hence it needs to be a new car and not pre-owned.

Primarily used for weekend jaunts within B'lore and once a month or so hit the highway for trips to Chennai etc. Approx. 1000 kms a month hence a Petrol and needs to be a tourer of sorts.

Space not a concern. Back seats will mainly carry bags except for when family visits and I will be the only one driving it hence prefer a driver focused car that can accelerate cleanly and handles decently.

Nimz
Why not Fiat Linea T-Jet ? Great machine to drive, solid build quality, best ride and handling.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 23:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
As mentioned by Jaguar also, the Ecosport Ecoboost variant is really good.
Woah! hang on mate! My comment was a sercastic one. I felt the Ecosport with ecoboost way to underpowered in the city and hence implying that Nimz wouldn't have wished for a fiesta ecoboost.

Quote:
But am open to ideas and if my concerns above are not the case with modern day diesels, I'd be happy to consider them
TD the newer diesels; who knows, you might fall in love with one.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 04:55   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
driver focused car that can accelerate cleanly and handles decently.
Linea TJet.

113bhp@5000 rpm. (Compared to 117bhp@6600 rpm for the City).
207NM@2200 rpm. (Compared to 146bhp@4600 rpm for the City).

Thats way more torque and similar power, but lower down the usable range. And it has excellent ride and handling & the best steering feel (among the options listed).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ars-india.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

Note to mods- The poster has already consider a FIAT in his shortlist, and hence suggesting another one.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks