Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 12:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

This seems to indicate that both the Ambiente and the Rider Classic had ABS/Airbags.

ABS seems to be missing in the Rider.

Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider Classic Specifications and other technical details | CarTradeIndia.com
Old 16th June 2010, 12:33   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
This seems to indicate that both the Ambiente and the Rider Classic had ABS/Airbags.

ABS seems to be missing in the Rider.

Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider Classic Specifications and other technical details | CarTradeIndia.com
Just checked the Skoda website and www.driveinside.com. Indeed Ambiente came / comes with ABS. My mistake in the earlier post with regards to no ABS on Ambiente trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Thanks Ardy! I had missed your previous post.
I love the black + silver interiors. Much nicer than the beige interiors in the L&K and Elegance. But then those trims have ABS...
Can anyone confirm if the TDi classic had rear discs and ABS or not? Somehow, I would not want to compromise on these, especially if a Pete's dubba is to be fitted.

@Ardy: any comments on the reliability/maintenance aspects of the TDi?
Honestly, I am quite happy with its reliability. I have clocked close to 75K the expense outside the regular maintenance has been on replacing a cracked intercooler and the clutch (this was recently). I would say a regular servicing at 15K intervals would cost you about 6-8K assuming synthetic oils are used. However, the spares are on the expensive side.

Cheers,
Old 16th June 2010, 17:29   #18
BHPian

Octy 1.9 TDI is a pretty good car with an excellent engine. Good to drive both in city and highways. Power figures don't adequately reflect its competence. High-speed stability is amazing. Have driven it around 150-160 frequently and upto 190 - super stable and planted is how it feels at those speeds. Gear shift is heavenly. I own one in the L&K trim and it does have ABS. IMO ABS is a must if you are to get it Pete'd. No rear discs on any of the Octy versions (at least the diesel ones). All Octys have dual airbags.

It can easily be serviced outside and if you know of a good garage + a good spares parts dealer you might never need to visit the dealership. Like Ardy has already mentioned servicing will cost you around 6k with majority going to synthetic oil (Skoda recommends Shell Helix Ultra diesel 5w40 - costs 4k for 5 litres). Spares cost a bomb in the dealership - are available at around 50% or less outside.

Regarding the equipment variations in L&K - it has sunroof, 6 CD (not MP3) changer with a decent 8 speaker sound system, different 5 spoke alloys, MID display at the centre, steering mounted audio controls, beige leather interiors and other sundries (like vanity mirror with lights below sunvisors - stuff to make the fairer gender happy).

It is a car built to last. With proper care it will go on and on.
Cesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2010, 18:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great, thanks for the feedback Cesc!

Now, apart from the normal checks made while buying a used car, are there any specific checks that need to be made while purchasing a used 1.9 TDi?

Also, how much would a Skoda a.s.s charge for a scan of the car? I think it's very important to get a scan done before finalizing a used Skoda.

Last edited by razor4077 : 16th June 2010 at 18:45.
Old 25th June 2010, 09:16   #20
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Great, thanks for the feedback Cesc!

Now, apart from the normal checks made while buying a used car, are there any specific checks that need to be made while purchasing a used 1.9 TDi?

Also, how much would a Skoda a.s.s charge for a scan of the car? I think it's very important to get a scan done before finalizing a used Skoda.
Skoda KOLKATA (Jia) charged me 2500 for a scan. Btw, there are two slightly delicious looking RS` on sale in the classifieds, have a look
Old 12th April 2011, 15:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: Purchasing Second Hand Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI.

Bumping up an old thread, but I could not find any other thread more appropriate for this.

I am considering a Feb 2003 Octavia 1.9 TDi Elegance model from pre-owned car market. Owner claims car has ABS.
Can someone confirm if that is true for a 2003 model? Is there a more reliable way to check (e.g. ABS light on the dashboard)?
Old 12th April 2011, 15:48   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

CESC: such a nice, succinct way of putting the point across.
good post, good content and certainly very interesting info.
nice to see a post like this instead of the more usual negativity on Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Octy 1.9 TDI is a pretty good car with an excellent engine. Good to drive both in city and highways. Power figures don't adequately reflect its competence. High-speed stability is amazing. Have driven it around 150-160 frequently and upto 190 - super stable and planted is how it feels at those speeds. Gear shift is heavenly. I own one in the L&K trim and it does have ABS. IMO ABS is a must if you are to get it Pete'd. No rear discs on any of the Octy versions (at least the diesel ones). All Octys have dual airbags.

It can easily be serviced outside and if you know of a good garage + a good spares parts dealer you might never need to visit the dealership. Like Ardy has already mentioned servicing will cost you around 6k with majority going to synthetic oil (Skoda recommends Shell Helix Ultra diesel 5w40 - costs 4k for 5 litres). Spares cost a bomb in the dealership - are available at around 50% or less outside.

Regarding the equipment variations in L&K - it has sunroof, 6 CD (not MP3) changer with a decent 8 speaker sound system, different 5 spoke alloys, MID display at the centre, steering mounted audio controls, beige leather interiors and other sundries (like vanity mirror with lights below sunvisors - stuff to make the fairer gender happy).

It is a car built to last. With proper care it will go on and on.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

I have a Rider 1.9TDi since 2005, the car has ABS & two airbags as standard. All else does not need to be elaborated as Cesc, has put down all relevant things on his post above. If it is seen regular oil changes & not abused. It is a great car to have. FE figures will shock you. I have a Pete's Remap & my car returns 15/16 kmpl in the city & around 20 kmpl or more on highway runs.

Cheers
Old 17th April 2011, 14:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys, May want to consider a New Optra Magnum Diesel (1911cc engine 120Bhp, 314Nm Torque) rather than a used Octavia. Prices start just above 9L OTR after discounts.

I wonder how the two cars would compare.

The Magnum does seem more spacious, with a much lower cost of maintenance. More powerful engine too. Factor in lower repair costs on a new car and the price difference between used Octy and a New Maggy may seem little.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Guys, May want to consider a New Optra Magnum Diesel (1911cc engine 120Bhp, 314Nm Torque) rather than a used Octavia. Prices start just above 9L OTR after discounts.

I wonder how the two cars would compare.

The Magnum does seem more spacious, with a much lower cost of maintenance. More powerful engine too. Factor in lower repair costs on a new car and the price difference between used Octy and a New Maggy may seem little.
Was accompanying a friend whos upgrading from lancer petrol to a diesel used sedan in the 6-7 lac range. Test drove two 2007 octavias with 50k plus on the odo.Boy, the engine response did blow me.Reached 100 within no time.It was just amazing.
sound insulation was good and the roads which gave the impressoin that you are riding on the moon when i was in my swift suddenly appeared far better.Amazing ride quality.But both cars had a hard clutch which suggested a clutch overhaul which would have been too expensive.
Decided to scout for more examples as there are plenty of octavias around.
Saw a beautiful optra magnum LT - 2008 going for 7.25.Unfortunately couldnt take a test drive.

Last edited by shantyrocks : 21st April 2011 at 11:54. Reason: spell check
Old 5th June 2011, 21:10   #26
BHPian

Hey guys, I'm considering upgrading from my 2006 Swift VXi to a 2005/06 Octy - Elegance or L&K.

My annual usage would be around 17-20k, with the soaring prices of petrol, I figured my best bet would be an Octy. It seems like a strong and sturdy car with great mileage. I'll prolly buy a new ride in another 18 months, but I need a temporary diesel contender to ease my fuel burden.

I'm getting a decent deal on a Mid 2005 Elegance with 39K on the ODO - new tyres, clean car and great interiors. There'a another L&K with around 47K on the ODO, a 2006 model, for a marginal price difference. However, the latter is housed with a dealer. Would I be better off investing in the Individual owned, low mileage elegance or should I risk it with the dealer owned, feature heavy, L&K?

Moreover, aside from a scan at the Skoda service centre, is there anything else I should look out for?

Would appreciate any feedback on my queries. I'm in a tight spot and really want to upgrade before the monsoons take a turn for the worst.

TIA!
Old 6th June 2011, 10:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

^ There is a very high probability that the odo has been tampered. Octavia diesels are bought for heavy usage due to phenomenal fuel efficiency.
I have not seen a genuine Octavia diesel, which is 6 year old and has less than 60K on the odo.
This would be very unlikely. If you have the service history, then please double check.
The same applies to the other specimen. Most dealers will modify the odo.
I suggest take a Skoda expert along to inspect the car closely.
Old 6th June 2011, 12:53   #28
BHPian

Thanks for the reply bud.

The owner claims to be an out of towner, however, I do intend to go through all the paperwork. Is there any way to figure out if the ODO has been tampered with?
Old 6th June 2011, 14:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

check for wear and tear on the gear knob and steering wheel and see if it matches the odo reading and check the company records
Old 6th June 2011, 14:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealistic View Post
I'll prolly buy a new ride in another 18 months, but I need a temporary diesel contender to ease my fuel burden.

TIA!
Do you think you will travel so much that you cannot buy petrol for your swift for this time but you could buy another vehicle for around 6 L and feed it fuel too? IMO if you are looking to buy a new vehicle in 18 months then hang on with the Swift. Unless you really have worked on your finances!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks