Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 15:09   #31
BHPian

Re: Purchasing Second Hand Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Do you think you will travel so much that you cannot buy petrol for your swift for this time but you could buy another vehicle for around 6 L and feed it fuel too? IMO if you are looking to buy a new vehicle in 18 months then hang on with the Swift. Unless you really have worked on your finances!
I'm not buying ANOTHER vehicle. I'll be selling my swift following which I'll invest an additional 200K and pick up a Diesel car valued at 4,50,00 + transfer and basic service, etc. Effectively, I'm replacing my Swift.

My younger brother shares my ride, and this time he'll be investing a 100K aswell, therefore effectively making my investment a mere 100K. Assuming I do a bare minimum of 40KM / day, I end up saving 59,520 IRS / annum. That makes it roughly 90K by the end of 18 months. As a result we've each invested 55K (individually) to get our hands on a bigger, more powerful and luxurious vehicle (Leather seats, ABS, Airbags, Climatronic A/C). Considering all that, it would be a welcomed change of pace. I think that's a pretty good deal.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealistic View Post
I'm not buying ANOTHER vehicle. I'll be selling my swift following which I'll invest an additional 200K and pick up a Diesel car valued at 4,50,00 + transfer and basic service, etc. Effectively, I'm replacing my Swift.

My younger brother shares my ride, and this time he'll be investing a 100K aswell, therefore effectively making my investment a mere 100K. Assuming I do a bare minimum of 40KM / day, I end up saving 59,520 IRS / annum. That makes it roughly 90K by the end of 18 months. As a result we've each invested 55K (individually) to get our hands on a bigger, more powerful and luxurious vehicle (Leather seats, ABS, Airbags, Climatronic A/C). Considering all that, it would be a welcomed change of pace. I think that's a pretty good deal.
Alright, it is a good deal. Provided you get the car for 450K.

Did not know you were sharing your ride with your bro, so it does sound a good deal.

At 3 Liters per day for 18 months your fuel costs would be averaged at 113K and add to it the regular servicing etc, 120K at the most. so even if you are investing 40-50K it is worth the money for a bigger ride.
Old 6th June 2011, 16:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(Leather seats, ABS, Airbags, Climatronic A/C). Considering all that, it would be a welcomed change of pace. I think that's a pretty good deal.
I am not certain about the ABS part. I have seen 2005 Elegance models - they did not come with ABS. Please double check if this feature is important for you.
Old 6th June 2011, 19:39   #34
BHPian

The Elegance I was talking about seems like a fantastic deal, but the problem is with the added expenses of transferring a Thane car to Mumbai registration etc., makes it cost as much as the L&K.

I'm just vary of transacting with dealerships, can't trust them.

However, there's a deal for a Black Dec-2005 L&K for 5,00,000 (all paper work included), 45K on the ODO - no service history, second owner - but the car is in pristine condition. The dealer says it's in excellent shape and is willing to give me a years warranty on the engine. Think I oughta go have a look at it? The pictures look really good and the warranty does sound appealing. Would it be a good deal if everything else looks good?
Old 6th June 2011, 21:10   #35
Team-BHP Support

i will advise you to read all Skoda horror stories before putting your hard earned money . Unless you want to have a bigger car for image issues - there is no use in shifting from Maruti to Old Skoda . If you really want to save on Fuel - best will be to buy the SWIFT Diesel or if you can wait for a while the new Swift Diesel but if you are hungry for bigger car - think of gradual increase in segments maybe SX Diesel or Ford Fiesta or Verna at first, STAY AWAY FROM SKODA
Old 6th June 2011, 22:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

@Unrealistic: The specimens that you are talking about are very low in running compared to their age. Very rare to find a 2006 diesel vehicle with just 45 K on the odo. And with two owners and a dealer in between, you are almost certainly dealing with a tampered odo. Do you have a trusted mechanic whom you can take along to test the vehicle?
Old 7th June 2011, 02:57   #37
BHPian

Hello friends, ever since I got my new polo tdi my wife has taken full control of it, so I m looking for a used car for myself which I would mod it up nicely! I am having 2 thoughts:

1.buy a skoda rs petrol and put a sequential cng kit
2. Buy skoda tdi
My budget with all mods (60k for ICE) included should be upto 5.5 lacs

Rs petrol is in the range of 3.25 lacs (2005) and tdi (3.75) for (2005) year.

Questions:
Is rs cheaper to maintain than tdi? In the long run?
I have heard clutch plate is prone to failure in skoda and costs 47k, is it true?
What are the so called major expenses in tdi at 60k km or later in it's life?
Can someone PM me contact of an expert skoda mechanic whom I can take along for evaluation?

I intend to keep the car for at least 3 years
Old 7th June 2011, 14:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@Unrealistic: The specimens that you are talking about are very low in running compared to their age. Very rare to find a 2006 diesel vehicle with just 45 K on the odo. And with two owners and a dealer in between, you are almost certainly dealing with a tampered odo. Do you have a trusted mechanic whom you can take along to test the vehicle?
I do have a family mechanic, albeit I've never had to use his services. Therefore, I have no idea if he's any good or not. If you know of a mechanic in the Andheri (W) area with a sound knowledge of Skoda cars, please PM me his details and I'll get in touch with him.
Old 7th June 2011, 15:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

I don't know anyone in Mumbai. If it is Pune, then I can help.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 20:33   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any way to figure out if the ODO has been tampered with?
Other than the regular wear and tear of the parts like pedals, steering wheel, seats etc, the best way to check the odo is by looking at its tyres. 39k should mean it should be on its 1st set of OEM tyres, and the thread should be nearing end of its life.
Old 8th June 2011, 11:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

^I agree with the other aspects, but I don't think looking at tyres is the best way to determine the car's running.

What if this is the second or third set of tyres (same tyre brand and model used as the OEM) with thread at the end of life?
This would then mean something like 40K + 40K + 40K = 120K running so far.
Very difficult to use tyre condition as a reference.
Old 8th June 2011, 14:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Is there any way to figure out if the ODO has been tampered with?
It is hard to find out in a well maintained skoda. My 2008 octavia Tdi has done close to 90K kms and still there is no sign of wear on the steering or gear. The interior parts are of very high quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
I have heard clutch plate is prone to failure in skoda and costs 47k, is it true?
What are the so called major expenses in tdi at 60k km or later in it's life?
My tdi is still running on first set of clutch @ 90K Kms. But it could be because it is used on the highway 80% of the time. I had to replace brake pads, timing belt and A/C condenser at 75K Km. (Skoda recommends changing timing belt and brake pads at 60K kms). Totally costed around 35K.

I usually give it to a local multi brand garage who does the work well and charges only 75% of what the authorized dealer would do. Skoda A.S.S sucks!
Old 8th June 2011, 17:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
It is hard to find out in a well maintained skoda. My 2008 octavia Tdi has done close to 90K kms and still there is no sign of wear on the steering or gear. The interior parts are of very high quality.

My tdi is still running on first set of clutch @ 90K Kms. But it could be because it is used on the highway 80% of the time. I had to replace brake pads, timing belt and A/C condenser at 75K Km. (Skoda recommends changing timing belt and brake pads at 60K kms). Totally costed around 35K.

I usually give it to a local multi brand garage who does the work well and charges only 75% of what the authorized dealer would do. Skoda A.S.S sucks!

Wow someone drives their Skoda alot! My dads Octy (2002-2003? Not too sure) has also touched about 110,000 kms, and apart from the odd rattle from the loose rear shelf the car runs brilliantly!

He also had to change whatever you've mentioned; and is still on the 1st clutch. But the engine itself is a dream - even after being driven so much. Unbelievably built car.
Old 10th June 2011, 16:46   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^I agree with the other aspects, but I don't think looking at tyres is the best way to determine the car's running.

What if this is the second or third set of tyres (same tyre brand and model used as the OEM) with thread at the end of life?
This would then mean something like 40K + 40K + 40K = 120K running so far.
Very difficult to use tyre condition as a reference.
Hi,

Sorry, I just saw the post. The tyres will have a manufacturing date on them. That way you can easily make out if its the second or third set.

Old 30th July 2011, 16:19   #45
BANNED

A Octavia seems to be a sensible car. How much should I pay for a clean piece. Which are the models that came with climate control.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks