Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 14:05   #46
BHPian

Waiting for Gp is definetely a good option. I am sure your alto can render you good service for some time. No harm in extracting max value out of it for as long as you can.
Old 29th April 2009, 19:35   #47
BHPian

A Fabia costs about 6.5 lacs , whihc is certainly not worth the price. I was driving a hatchback for a verrry long time. switched to an Accent recently and love the ride and the power. I now find myself thinking that why didnt i ever buy a sedan earliar. Ford has expensive ownership issues ( check the resale value of a pre owned car) Dzire , well , the metal sheet is too thin plus rattling issues , Baleno is too dated. So in this segement an Accent is the best choice and Id bet on HMIL cars anyday compared to MUL or Ford.

Did you know that only Americans who cant afford better cars buy the junk Ford rolls out ? Anyone with a wee amount of more money shifts to another company Check with american friends / cousins !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
Thats a very old car my friend, and the only good thing about the Accent car was the CRDi engine and that model is discontinued now.

And what premium hatchbacks are on sale now? The Skoda Fabia and the Hyundai i20(?)
Old 30th April 2009, 15:53   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
lot of time in the parking lot!

Better go buy a new hatch with good ***.

Hyundai and Maruti only.

IMO petrol GETZ with recent price cut, a good VFM.

Driven by a lady!!! IMO sedan is not preferable!

In English Please. What is a good ***? IMO or VFM ? Thanks for the advice but less of the abbreviations please.

I was thinking if it's not going to be driven a lot then better to get a used Sedan cuz you get a better car for the price of a hatchback.
Old 13th May 2009, 13:22   #49
BHPian

Visiting this thread after a long time and I haven't taken plunge yet. My alto works perfectly for me as of now!

With GP, Jazz and Ritz in sight, I am eagerly waiting for initial reports about these cars. I think a large hatchback makes more sense to me now.

I have heard about Ford's poor resale and after sales service and hence staying away from Ikon. DZire diesel has 6 months waiting period, so that's out as well.

I have this crazy idea - I can wait little longer (Aug/Sep) to save more money and and thinking of Linea MJD E+. That car has really made me drool over its looks, but Fiat's questionable A.S.S. and poor plastic quality has put mein doubt a bit. My concern about GP are the same! I am following linea reviews closely and will decide then. A lot depends on pricing and size of Ritz and Jazz - though I am reluctant to shell out extra premium on Jazz.

As of now - I am waiting and watching all exciting incoming models. You know, buying a car is lot like marriage - as soon as you commit to one, you see that better options are available!
Old 13th May 2009, 14:10   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampai View Post
In English Please. What is a good ***? IMO or VFM ? Thanks for the advice but less of the abbreviations please.
Read the instructions before posting such comments.

A.s.s - (after sales service) if you type without full stop, it will convert into 3 stars.

IMO: in my opinion

VFM: Value for money
Old 17th March 2010, 15:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

Premium Hatchback or Entry level Sedan

Read a lot about VW Polo and Ford Figo over TBHP for last few days. Looks like both are good premium hatchbacks. But if you see cost wise, they are coming in the range of 5-7 lacs. So did it make sense to buy a small car over a big car like Dzire, Manza ? (Accent, Ikon also) In big car you get few advantages like:
1 Bigger car, bigger space.
2 Boot is much bigger.
3 Some how i find sedan cars more stable & safe to drive on highways.
4 Big cars are more comfortable than hatchbacks.
5 Last but not the least, feel good factor !!! You always feel good that you have a big car.
Disadvantage side only i can see problem is parking. Because parking big cars in cities like Pune is really pain when you go out in crowded area. Other than that i really dont see any other problems. These entry level sedans are almost same as Hatchbacks in FE & maintenance also. May be thats why i can see lots of Dzire's & Manza's (comparatively few as its very new) on the roads currently. I personally feel entry level sedan is better

So does all these parameters make entry level sedan a better buy over premium hatch?
Old 17th March 2010, 15:22   #52
BHPian

Dzire/manza a big car??? By adding a boot you can't term it a big car. I can agree with you on point 2&5
Old 17th March 2010, 15:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

To me a permium hatch back vs entry level sedan sounds like big fish in a small pond or a small fish in the big sea; obviously I like to be the big fish in a small pond & prefer the top end version of a hatch back rather than entry level of a big sedan.

Last edited by aargee : 17th March 2010 at 15:30.
Old 17th March 2010, 15:27   #54
BHPian

I suppose a sedan makes sense when you have large(5) family and trevel a lot or have a full car and luggage in large amount a lot of times.If you are a small family and travel is limited a premium hatch is ideal. then again a sedan has the feel good factor. bottom line - personal choice rules
Old 17th March 2010, 15:30   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Dzire/manza a big car??? By adding a boot you can't term it a big car. I can agree with you on point 2&5
I am saying entry level sedan mainly. And yes we can call them big cars like any other Verna, Honda City, Fiesta, Aveo & all. Manza is definitely a big car. Bigger than NHC, Verna, Fiesta, etc. Does these cars are just boot added to hatch? I dont think so ... They are properly designed to behave and look like a sedan. Just that they are mainly designed from Hatch.

Will people say same when Polo sedan is launched? Polo with a boot?
Old 17th March 2010, 15:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

To me a premium hatchback are the following (in no particular order)
  1. i20
  2. Jazz
  3. Punto
  4. Fabia
  5. Polo
  6. Figo
  7. Swift
Most of the points listed don't hold too much water if you are comparing with Manza/ Ikon /Accent / Dzire . My replies in bold below

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Not exactly. If you check out the interior space is almost the same. Exterior space yes because of the added boot. Exception to this is the Indigo XL.
2 Boot is much bigger.
Yes. But do you really need it always?
Not True. Stability of a car is defined by its suspension geomtery, height and wheelbase.
Again not true if you are comparing say a i20 to a Accent.
5 Last but not the least, feel good factor !!! You always feel good that you have a big car.
I won't feel good if I have to get a dated design/engine for the added boot.
Anyways at the end of the day its a personal call.
Old 17th March 2010, 15:44   #57
BHPian

[quote=aniketi;1787493]I am saying entry level sedan mainly. And yes we can call them big cars like any other Verna, Honda City, Fiesta, Aveo & all. Manza is definitely a big car. Bigger than NHC, Verna, Fiesta, etc. Does these cars are just boot added to hatch? I dont think so ... They are properly designed to behave and look like a sedan. Just that they are mainly designed from Hatch.
[quote]

The cars you mentioned above are definitely designed to look and behave like a Sedan. Maybe manza to some extent. Definitely not dezire though. It's just a Swift with a boot. Space inside is the same.
Old 17th March 2010, 15:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
To me a premium hatchback are the following (in no particular order)
  1. i20
  2. Jazz
  3. Punto
  4. Fabia
  5. Polo
  6. Figo
  7. Swift
Most of the points listed don't hold too much water if you are comparing with Manza/ Ikon /Accent / Dzire . My replies in bold below
But i guess Jazz & Fabia are not successful for the same reason, they are costly. People preferred other cars over those costly hatches. Punto is also struggling & i20 only sells in good numbers. Not sure but how much exactly per month in India. whereas Dzire sells more than 7000 cars per month for last few months (data collected from TBHP only). Manza is also doing good for Tata.
& i dont think its outdated design / technology. Both cars are coming with latest engines & functionality.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:02   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

It all boils down as to how the person who buys the car thinks.

Say for example since I am from Bangalore I would prefer a hatch back, but when it is trips to the airport or on the highway for the sheer comfort and convenience I would prefer a sedan.

I would love to have both but the wallet should support

Last edited by nkrishnap : 17th March 2010 at 16:04.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
In big car you get few advantages like:
2 Boot is much bigger.
Disadvantage side only i can see problem is parking. Because parking big cars in cities like Pune is really pain when you go out in crowded area. Other than that i really dont see any other problems. These entry level sedans are almost same as Hatchbacks in FE & maintenance also. May be thats why i can see lots of Dzire's & Manza's (comparatively few as its very new) on the roads currently. I personally feel entry level sedan is better

So does all these parameters make entry level sedan a better buy over premium hatch?
1. Nope I can assure you that the i20 has much more interior space than the dzire.
2. Yes, the boot is bigger, but how often do you use a big boot. Also, with rear seats folding 40:60, it is very very rarely that you need a big 500l boot.
3. Nope, stability does not depend on whether the car has a boot or not. Case it point - verna vs punto
4. Nope. First sit in an i20/jazz, and then sit in a dzire, and then decide.
5. To me, the feel good factor of a car is when I sit comfortably in it. That way, I would prefer the premium hatchback as I would get all the space and all the features of a big car, minus the boot which is not really that useful.. and in addition the car is much easier to park.

Also, premium hatchbacks are ideal second cars/city cars.

Last edited by holysmoke : 17th March 2010 at 16:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks