Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 19:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Manson, If somehow i were into market for new car currently and had been able to gulp the familiar interior (Currently own Optra) then Optra Magnum would had been a clear choice. Though i heard from a flying bird that they might introduce and automatic transmission

However, if you can stretch a bit - how about looking at Sonata Transform. I find it an excellent value for money along with diesel economy and enough roomy space.
Old 20th March 2009, 19:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

Dippy, would you know what the Elegance offers over the Ambiente trim?
The car would be mostly driven my me for the Navi Mumbai rounds, I'm guessing the Laura would do somewhat better than the Magnum on the inconsistent road surface.

manson.
Old 20th March 2009, 19:47   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Manson, If somehow i were into market for new car currently and had been able to gulp the familiar interior (Currently own Optra) then Optra Magnum would had been a clear choice. Though i heard from a flying bird that they might introduce and automatic transmission
I prefer performing the shifts myself, an autobox just takes half the fun away from driving.
Though while talking about the Optra, how long have you owned the Optra and how has the A.S.S. experience been? Also, any expensive part failures?

Quote:
However, if you can stretch a bit - how about looking at Sonata Transform. I find it an excellent value for money along with diesel economy and enough roomy space.
I so wanted to, but it costs a lot more than what I would pay for my daily driver.

manson.
Old 20th March 2009, 19:58   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Manson, you answered most of your queries yourself. You want a manual tranny diesel sedan with VFM which is fun to drive and can be used roughly, period. At your price bracket, the Magnum fits in like a glove on your hand. AFAIK, and this is based on a neighbor's Spark ownership (he has 2 Sparks and a Daewoo Matiz), Chevy After-Sales Service is very good (at least that applies to Delhi). As for resale and niche/ low-selling tags, worry about it 5 years down the line. There's always a niche market for such niche, comfortable, fast cars which bring a smile to your face every time you drive one. In 5 years, GM will be out of the ditch it is in presently.
Old 20th March 2009, 20:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

I have been offered a similar deal, colours available are dark gray and silver. So does this mean the current Laura is definitely going off production soon?

manson.
Laura is going to get a facelift and that could be the reason of the discounts. The new Laura is going to have a different face.

Check this out for the new look Laura:

?koda Auto - The new ?koda Octavia - Look

Remember in Europe Laura is actually Octavia.
Old 20th March 2009, 20:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Manson,

The Magnum it is for you. I have been drilling this into your head from the moment we spoke about this. Agreed the Laura will be more upmarket and all, but since you are going to be driving the car to Navi Mumbai and all - it's got to be the Magnum.

I would love to ask you to get the Laura but for your needs - it is the Magnum.

As for re-sale - who cares what you get after 5 years of enjoying the car ?

Live in the present - forget what is going to happen 5 years from now.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 20th March 2009 at 20:39.
Old 20th March 2009, 20:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I prefer performing the shifts myself, an autobox just takes half the fun away from driving.
Though while talking about the Optra, how long have you owned the Optra and how has the A.S.S. experience been? Also, any expensive part failures?
I too prefer a manual one but i am sure the optra luxuriness will make you lazy enough

Jokes apart, It didn't costed me that much for maintaining originally a C+ segment car

20K Service - Some 2-3K
40K Service - Some 7-8K
60K Service - Some 16-17K
80K Service - Due in next a month or two

Till now all shockers has been changed, ac compressor is changed and radiator has been changed - All by GM People only. Only shock was the compressor and radiator failure which failed at 70K something.

Though looking at Service Cost Inflation i have spared another 25K for 100K Service.
Old 20th March 2009, 22:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dippy, would you know what the Elegance offers over the Ambiente trim?
The car would be mostly driven my me for the Navi Mumbai rounds, I'm guessing the Laura would do somewhat better than the Magnum on the inconsistent road surface.

manson.
Manson

Ambiente = no climate control, 15" inch alloys, non leather steering wheel and no projector lamps

Elegance comes with whatever is omitted in the Ambiente and 16" alloys.
Old 20th March 2009, 23:12   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Agreed the Laura will be more upmarket and all, but since you are going to be driving the car to Navi Mumbai and all - it's got to be the Magnum.
Infact I thought it is the other way around due to the state of the roads around Navi Mumbai and the better ride quality of the Laura.

Quote:
I would love to ask you to get the Laura but for your needs - it is the Magnum.
You know exactly how convinced I am about that, infact I am finding it difficult to reason out not buying the Magnum. It is a superb package.
But my father wasn't too impressed about its street presence one bit.
I mostly am going to take him and my brother for a back to back TD of both the cars on Sunday.

Quote:
As for re-sale - who cares what you get after 5 years of enjoying the car ?
If I can salvage back 40% of the original value after 5 years of use, I'd be satisfied.

Quote:
80K Service - Due in next a month or two
Wow, that is one of higher odo readings I have come across from an Optra owner. How does the car feel at nearing 80K?
Is the cabin noisier than it was in its younger days? Do the plastics sqeak?
Any electrical issues whatsoever? How old is your Optra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Manson

Ambiente = no climate control, 15" inch alloys, non leather steering wheel and no projector lamps

Elegance comes with whatever is omitted in the Ambiente and 16" alloys.
By projector lamps, do you mean xenons?
Any idea what tghe price difference between the two variants would be, I cant stretch a lot more from the Ambient's price.

manson.
Old 21st March 2009, 00:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

how about waiting a few months for the cruze which probably is the optra replacement.
Im sure it will be worth it.
Old 21st March 2009, 10:07   #26
Team-BHP Support

The sales executive at the Gm dealership had mentioned that the Cruz would be here in June-July and would be in the 13-15L range, apparently the Magnum will not be discontinued.

manson.
Old 21st March 2009, 10:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I can salvage back 40% of the original value after 5 years of use, I'd be satisfied.

Wow, that is one of higher odo readings I have come across from an Optra owner. How does the car feel at nearing 80K?
Is the cabin noisier than it was in its younger days? Do the plastics sqeak?
Any electrical issues whatsoever? How old is your Optra?
With optra do not expect a salvage value of more then 30% or so (At a lower side) after 5 Years.

Mine is 2004 Model. It is a bit noisy - to be more precise bearable noisy, thanks to my nature of not tolerating a single sqeak I think I have maintained it well till now. Still it pulls like a horse, whenever required.. easily touch 140-150 on higways No such electrical issue so far (Touchwood), The only sqeak i can hear today morning was of driver's seat adjuster.
Old 21st March 2009, 10:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

What about the magnum oil sump issue?
Old 21st March 2009, 11:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
If you look around, you will find a disgusted Tata Sumo Victa owner on the forum by the name of Akroy (correct?).
....no, its Varun Roy, Abhi is quite happy with his Alto
Old 21st March 2009, 21:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Infact I thought it is the other way around due to the state of the roads around Navi Mumbai and the better ride quality of the Laura.
I think the Optra will feel more compact and more fun to throw about too

Quote:
But my father wasn't too impressed about its street presence one bit.
If that's the case, why did you get the Innova ? It has no street presence as well and is common as hell !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks