Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 08:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't GM also offer a 3 year maintenance plan? If so, it's a no brainer. Go for the Magnum. It may not have the toys or the image of a Laura, but it doesn't have the stratospheric service bills and atrocious service center attitude either. Not to mention the stonker of an engine.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:59   #47
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone know of any tentative dates for the Altis Diesel launch?
In the meanwhile, I am negotiating with a couple of GM dealers for the Magnum. One of them has already given me a decent quote with the three year maintenance package, waiting for the sales executive from the other dealership to get back to me.

Also, the price difference between the Magnum LT & the LS is in the range of 1L, the difference being ABS, Climate control, some chrome here and there, Leather upholstery, double din HU and I think airbags. Makes sense to upgrade to the LT?

manson.
Old 26th March 2009, 13:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

Getting the Magnum without ABS is a surefire way to enter the pearly gates, backwards, on fire.

Get ABS.
Old 26th March 2009, 13:25   #49
Team-BHP Support

I had taken a TD of a stripped down Magnum LT, the seats, and other cosmetics were done into an LS to give the buyer a clearer idea of what to expect.
But the brakes I doubt must have been changed from ABS to non ABS, and yet the car did not brake too well.

mansoin.
Old 26th March 2009, 13:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Also, the price difference between the Magnum LT & the LS is in the range of 1L, the difference being ABS, Climate control, some chrome here and there, Leather upholstery, double din HU and I think airbags. Makes sense to upgrade to the LT?

manson.
I would say - Yes it makes sense, simply because of the ABS & Airbags.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

The Chevy Cruze is coming at the end of the year - that's what I know (I could be way off) And it's going to be priced between 13-15 L.

Manson,

Just get the Magnum with ABS and forget everything else. And I know that "Keep the old car" feeling - the iKon is still there with me
Old 26th March 2009, 14:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

For handling such a diesel monster.. yes ABS and Airbags do make sense. Consider other goodies as a bonus
Old 26th March 2009, 14:25   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Manson, don't overlook the option of used Magnums. Their showroom and some other large used dealers would be a good place to start.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know of any tentative dates for the Altis Diesel launch?
Manson go for the Magnum buddy. Altis diesel i heard between 2nd and 3rd quarter. Also ACI did mention few months back that it would be a 1.4 diesel for the Altis. There are no official confirmations so i would suggest its better not to wait .

If you can wait for Chevy Cruze , which i guess between July - Sept - it ll be a good buy too. But it all depends if you could wait.
Old 26th March 2009, 15:14   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The Chevy Cruze is coming at the end of the year - that's what I know (I could be way off) And it's going to be priced between 13-15 L.
The Scorpio would easily last till the end of this year, think I should wait it out till the Cruze arrives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Manson, don't overlook the option of used Magnums. Their showroom and some other large used dealers would be a good place to start.
Now that is an interesting idea. I haven't looked around, but I have to yet see a Magnum in the used car market. What do you think a year old Magnum could be had for?

I am currently getting the following deal on a December 2008 vehicle:
90K cash discount
4K corporate discount
15K worth maintenance plan.

For a 2009 vehicle (apparently GM has none in stock), I have been offered only 50K discount.

Also, I'm guessing wouldn't the discounts swell up a little further next month since we would be over the depreciation benefit hooplah and the demand would have gone down universally?

manson.
Old 26th March 2009, 15:24   #56
BHPian

Quote:

manson.
That 1L is worth spent, dont compromise on safety. That 2L TCDi is a one heck of an engine but coupled to an unenthusiastic chassis will give you shivers evertime you brake, so dont compromise on ABS and Airbags (Two infact - driver and passenger).
Old 26th March 2009, 17:52   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the brakes I doubt must have been changed from ABS to non ABS, and yet the car did not brake too well.
mansoin.
what exactly was the problem with the brakes?
Old 26th March 2009, 18:15   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
what exactly was the problem with the brakes?
They lacked the bite I expected from half a decent sedan, espcially now that I realise the car was ABS equipped.
The sales exec mentioned that the wheels were not aligned, due to which the braking was not as efficient. But, the car moved in a perfect straight line when I tried letting go of the steering wheel to check on the alignment.

manson.
Old 26th March 2009, 19:02   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They lacked the bite I expected from half a decent sedan, espcially now that I realise the car was ABS equipped.
That sounds like salesman BS to me. ABS will not improve pedal feel or bite either. ABS starts working only after wheel lockup. That might just be the characteristic of the car. Good quality tires might help a little.

You could always try out a couple of different pads if you decide to buy the car. Organic pads wil have more bite then semi-metallic but are less fade resistant. Wilwood calipers that Jitu has is another option.

But 1st thing try driving another car to see if there is indeed something wrong with that piece. Could be a vaccum leak also causing low servo.
Old 26th March 2009, 19:34   #60
Team-BHP Support

I have asked another dealer to send the TD car home on Sunday. It would take one more test drive to put my money down on the Magnum. Just want to ensure the 2K RPM rush did not freeze my mind.

manson.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks