Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2005, 21:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

well said Rx135. The stanley leathers have special pores too which help them breath.

why do u think they have it in the mercedes and skodas nad beemers?

and stereo can be had of much more better and desirable quality from outside.
Old 11th September 2005, 17:10   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
@hrag, I guess you are confusing leather seats with PU leather seats. Leather is natural breather which suits well in even hot conditions.
Sorry for the mistake! I still think leather is overkill for this weather.
Old 11th September 2005, 21:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

just to inform you.

y does mercedes,bmw,lexus,nissan,camry,accord etc have leather seats instead of fabrics???

these leathers are specially treated for everyday use. they are better than fabrics
Old 12th September 2005, 13:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

Sad but true

Went to check out the 1.6 ELX this weekend ..
Yes, they are not offering the music system on the ELX .. :(
They said they would give me one in case of a full down payment purchase !

The dealer has had some fresh stock coming in .. A new colour on the Petra too .. its a darker shade of gray .. but not as dark as that available on the Palio ..
There were a couple of red adventures too .. fantastic looks !

Took a Petra test drive too ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
It is newer then the Baleno, better looking, more sturdy, has beter designed interiors, better VFM (Baleno needs better tyres), better performance, more stable.
Agree on all counts ... it felt more silent too .. but the price could have been a wee bit lower, given that they want to eat into the Baleno's market ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
It is not as small as buffetfan has made it out to be because while Baleno is bigger, it falls short on headroom.
The Petra is also as comfortable and a whole lot more safer.
The Baleno only has better a.s.s., space, FE but interiors are tacky and does not look like it would hold up well.
Honestly put ! One point though .. don't recall the exact ACI numbers , but there is very little difference in the shoulder room dimensions between the two .. although the overall width of the Baleno is a lot more (70mm) .. so the baleno is effectively bigger only in the legroom department ...

True , interiors of the ELX feels better than the Baleno .. maybe even better than VXi .. but having said that .. it still is no great shakes although one can live with it ..

Overall, I felt more comfy inside it, than a Baleno ...
And although Baleno is immensely driveable .. low RPM torque .. flat curve etc .. the Petra does not fall short either .. I was easily driving in slow traffic at 1000rpm in 5th !! and accelerated from 5th without shifting down .. one can drive around in any almost gear at low speeds ..

I haven't seen the torque curve of the 1.6 engine .. does anyone have it ? it must be pretty flat considering that max torque is attained way up at 4250rpm ..

Last edited by shuvc : 12th September 2005 at 13:12.
Old 12th September 2005, 13:55   #65
BHPian

Yes shuvc, the music sys is not offered... but i got another good offer from them!! instead, they would bear the cost for the head unit and i bear the speakers. plus the sun control too would be done free of cost... so that would make the ELX as follows;
most of the whistles and bells that we don't get in the equalent models (atleast equalent in price) read accent GLE, Baleno LX(i), ikon flair...
tyre flaps, boot mat & floor mats
sun control film..
head unit..
plus free insurance... which i may need to look into ... was thinking of going for a comprehensive insurance cover .. have to work out the details yet..
further.. i don't know if i would be going in for the stanley leather seat covers.. but the seats in the ELX do look pretty boring to say the least.. so one more option to think of.
Old 12th September 2005, 14:29   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh
tyre flaps, boot mat & floor mats
sun control film..
head unit..
plus free insurance... which i may need to look into ... was thinking of going for a comprehensive insurance cover .. have to work out the details yet..
Are they giving you a Tape HU or a CD/MP3 HU ?

So the 20k odd insurance is third party , is it ? How much would a comprehensive insurance cost ?

I asked them about Teflon coating and underbody treatment .. they pompously said that although some customers go for these, they don't recommend it as FIAT cars don't really need them
Old 12th September 2005, 14:37   #67
BHPian

i am not sure of that! i think its a tape & FM..., will have to check.. actually i had a chat with the manager over phone.. so didn't work out the details completely.
About the insurance, its got to be third party.. which is the normal one that indians go for (just for the sake of having all papers when a cop asks us), i feel it is better to go in for a comprehensive insurance cover, will post the details once i have it on me.
i have a friend of mine (actually a friend of my dad's) whose been in this business for more than 40 years (epoxy coatings) he says it is fine when you do the underside of the car (we did that for our old fiat premier), but he adviced against doing that on newer cars, as that is a very procedural stuff and can easily be screwed up. i feel the fiats ( or any other good car for that matter) do not need teflon treatments...
Old 12th September 2005, 15:18   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have a friend of mine (actually a friend of my dad's) whose been in this business for more than 40 years (epoxy coatings) he says it is fine when you do the underside of the car (we did that for our old fiat premier), but he adviced against doing that on newer cars, as that is a very procedural stuff and can easily be screwed up. i feel the fiats ( or any other good car for that matter) do not need teflon treatments...
Go for the underbody coating. It helps.

As for the 'teflon' coat, the genuine DuPont teflon coating really helps ANY car. Most of the other stuff that is pedalled as 'teflon coating' is nothing but a silicon rubbing on the surface that costs less than a couple of hundred but is priced at upwards of a couple of thousands.

An alternative to Teflon coating is a 'clear' coat on top of the existing paint, but that is more expensive. Regular waxing helps, as many of our members would wax eloquently...
Old 12th September 2005, 15:24   #69
BHPian

heheeh!!!!
Wax what!!!!! i know u meant cars!!!
No pun intended i suppose, but whats life without a little fun & pun!!!
Old 12th September 2005, 16:12   #70
BHPian

I tried to talk to that guy, his fone seems to be outa reach!!! Will try to get his thoughts on the DuPoint part. Other things as and when!!!!
Old 12th September 2005, 23:24   #71
Senior - BHPian

gop only for the cd/mp3 head unit as otherwise you will be stuck to using audio cassettes and you wont like it if you are a music buff or if u like to play loud.

to install your won speakers is good though.

I wouldnt want to leave stanley leathers though. they are comfy and plush and make the car look expensive and luxurious from the inside.
Old 26th September 2005, 12:42   #72
BHPian

it has been one long haitus for this post!!!
guys just checked the ikon 1.6 sxi model, which after discounts comes for 5.68 L in chennai (OTR)...
my.. my.. my...
am i in a dilemma or what???
I need some really sound advice from you guys now... just can't let go of the petra with all the goodies... (but for 5.89L OTR).. where as the ikon 1.6 SXI comes with none of the goodies (but what the heck that's a 1.6 ikon)...
goodies? what goodies?? you may ask...
like alloy wheels, spoiler, elect controlled RVMs, rear seat head rests and so on .... where as the ikon does not have those!!!!
please advice

ak
Old 26th September 2005, 13:08   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it has been one long haitus for this post!!!
guys just checked the ikon 1.6 sxi model, which after discounts comes for 5.68 L in chennai (OTR)...
Would that be the SXi or the EXi ?
Old 26th September 2005, 13:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

The ikon 1.6 is a good car and a fantastic tool for the driver. But I would choose the Petra over it. However, with all this to and fro on the future of Fiat in India, would advise you to wait and if it does not clear up, then dude, go for the Ikon, if that is your choice over the Baleno.
Old 26th September 2005, 13:12   #75
BHPian

the low end variant!!! im not so sure if its exi or sxi.
is the sxi the top end variant?
if so then the 5.68 L is for the exi...
and BTW, i may get a corp disc of 15K too... so that would reduce the OTR to 5.53 L (which is the Ex-sho) for the petra!!!!!
i need advice!!!!!
help, ak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks